HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

James Neal hit on Derek Dorsett (Neal suspended 2 games)

Old
11-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
James Neal hit on Derek Dorsett (Neal suspended 2 games)

Figure this is worth its own thread since it's garnering a lot of attention. We can update it once punishment is dished out by the league, if any.

The Dallas Morning News says this:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-nhl-in-m.html

Quote:
Marc Crawford told the media that the league has requested a phone hearing with James Neal concerning his five-minute major penalty for boarding Derek Dorsett in the second period. Dorsett's head hit the glass and he did not return to the game. He will be evaluated within the next 48 hours.

Neal has no history of any major penalties or previous suspensions or even dangerous plays.

"I'm not sure what happens,'' Neal said when asked about a possible suspension. "I didn't have any intent to injure him, and I hope he's OK.''

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Skraut

He hit a Columbus Blue Jacket.

There will only be a fine if anything.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:10 AM
eljefe72

NHL: "We heard that you boarded Derek Dorsett last night and almost knocked him out."

Neal: "Nah, it was a clean hit, and I didn't mean to hurt him. Besides, it's the Blue Jackets we're talking about."

NHL: "Ah, I see what you're saying. Sorry to have bothered you Mr. Neal. You have a nice day."

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
MFRONE

Neal had no intent to injure yet he hits a guy directly in the back facing the boards and drove his head into the glass

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=299055
Quote:
Neal, who could face a league suspension after a hearing with NHL officials on Friday, said he wasn't trying to injure Dorsett.

"I was just going fast," Neal said of plowing into Dorsett along the boards. "I didn't have any intent to injure him or hit him in a vulnerable position. I hope he's OK over there."
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/
Quote:
Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock, reached by phone, isn’t sure how badly Dorsett is hurt. He thinks the winger “had his bell rung,” but will have more conclusive information later this morning.

It will be awhile before I get the image of Dorsett, struggling to get to his knees only to fall backwards, out of my mind. Hitchcock said players on the bench were shouting out warnings as they saw Neal buzzing across the ice.

Neal drove Dorsett face first into the glass early in the second period. In the first period, Dorsett appeared to challenge Neal to a fight. Neal received a 5-minute boarding penalty and a game misconduct. There’s probably more discipline from the league office on the way. The Dallas Morning News is reporting Neal will speak to league officials today by phone.
It's a crap hit. He came from too far away and maybe he wasn't striding but he built up a significant amount of speed to hit a guy who had his back turned, was stationary and vulnerable.

I believe Neal when he says he didn't intend to injure DD - but he did intend to run him the way he did, which was likely to result in an injury. Five games is called for.

EDIT: Five games is called for IMO, obviously. Not making a prediction.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 11-20-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

My prediction:
Neal has no history of dirty hits, wasn't a direct shot to the head, therefore the league will fine him (probably around $10,000) and no games off.

Last edited by Zoo16: 11-20-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
My prediction:
Neal has no history of dirty hits, wasn't a direct shot to the head, therefore the league will fine him (probably around $10,000) and no games off.
The maximum fine allowed in the NHL against a player is $2,500. Which is a joke in itself.

I think given the quick response by the league, that Neal will be suspended...but expect no more than 3 games, possibly less.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Another thing I would keep in mind, too: His penalty directly cost the Stars the game. We got two PP goals during those five minutes that blew up the lead from 2-0 to 4-0.

To me, the fact his decision was directly responsible for a loss is also punishment in itself. I still want to see him get suspended, but with his history being clean, does it need to be five games? I'd say one game, given that him helping the Stars lose last night is a second suspended game, so to speak. But if it's more than the 1-3 game range, then I think it's too much.

Yet this is the NHL we speak of. Their decisions make no sense. The entire HFBoards could propose 10,000 different punishments, and the NHL would go with a 10,001st idea that makes no sense whatsoever.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:04 AM
GoodVybes

I think Moo has it right. If no goals had been scored on the major penalty, then a longer suspension would be warranted. But, Neal cost his team the game, at a point in which the Stars could have come back. Give him 1-3 games, it fits with the usual NHL suspension.

The problem is that the league has not cracked down on these types of hits. Neal did what he did because he knew he would not face too long of a suspension. Sure there was no intent to injure, but he knows he was being reckless and that he could he hurt somebody.

GoodVybes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:11 AM
WrightOn

I don't agree that a suspension should hinge on whether the target was hurt or the game was lost.

The act itself should be all the NHL considers when the hearing takes place.

(3+ games imo)

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Happy Pony

Preemptive lol at the NHL.

I kinda hopes he only gets a $200 fine and no suspension, that way everyone here will be harping about the NHL hating Columbus instead of Filatov and Hitch.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
The maximum fine allowed in the NHL against a player is $2,500. Which is a joke in itself.
Wow. That is a joke. So he won't be able to buy the team's dinner next game. Big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
I think given the quick response by the league, that Neal will be suspended...but expect no more than 3 games, possibly less.
Any game misconduct is immediately reviewed by the league.

Old
11-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

After watching the game highlights on NHL.com, I see why Dorsett crosschecked Neal: Dorsett shot the puck (1:39 into the vid) and Neal (whether intentionally or unintentionally) somewhat speared Dorsett with the butt end of his stick, and Dorsett retaliated.

Old
11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Neal wears a skirt. He ran like a puss when DD challenged him earlier.

His punishment should be all NHL players have to watch the video of him running away from Dorsett. Then he should be forced to wear a pink sweater the rest of the year so everyone knows that he is a coward.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
After watching the game highlights on NHL.com, I see why Dorsett crosschecked Neal: Dorsett shot the puck (1:39 into the vid) and Neal (whether intentionally or unintentionally) somewhat speared Dorsett with the butt end of his stick, and Dorsett retaliated.
Good call, there's also a baseball bat swing in there too.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:39 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Another thing I would keep in mind, too: His penalty directly cost the Stars the game. We got two PP goals during those five minutes that blew up the lead from 2-0 to 4-0.

To me, the fact his decision was directly responsible for a loss is also punishment in itself. I still want to see him get suspended, but with his history being clean, does it need to be five games? I'd say one game, given that him helping the Stars lose last night is a second suspended game, so to speak. But if it's more than the 1-3 game range, then I think it's too much.

Yet this is the NHL we speak of. Their decisions make no sense. The entire HFBoards could propose 10,000 different punishments, and the NHL would go with a 10,001st idea that makes no sense whatsoever.
Understand that he's been a clean player, but what a better example to make for the NHL if theyre actually serios about hits to the head. This should be a "we know you dont have a history, but you get 5 games for the hit". This would hopefully make a person think twice when they have a chance to hit a vulnerable player. Intent or not, the hit resulted in a hit to the head and injury.

And the $2500 fine is a joke, but with Fehr now coming onboard the NHLPA, you can expect more bogus things like that.

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

I agree with the earlier post.

He might not have intended to injure Dorsett, but he knew he was going in there to punish him a little bit after being challenged in the first period.

I think he'll get three games, based on the hit to Tucker earlier in the year. Almost identical.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:07 AM
cbjrocks

3 games
Undisclosed fine
Forfeit of salary $26,341

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:11 AM
aRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
3 games
Undisclosed fine
Forfeit of salary $26,341
Is that a prediction or the ruling?
Looks like a ruling to me, just want to be sure though

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
I agree with the earlier post.

He might not have intended to injure Dorsett, but he knew he was going in there to punish him a little bit after being challenged in the first period.

I think he'll get three games, based on the hit to Tucker earlier in the year. Almost identical.
My feelings exactly.

It's a hit that happens rather frequently during a game. The injury is the only thing that stands out

I think Neal might get less due to him not being Ruutu.

Either way, unless he's banned from the NHL for life, everyone on here will ***** and moan about a grand conspiracy against the Jackets. Carry the Persecution Complex!

11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
My feelings exactly.

It's a hit that happens rather frequently during a game. The injury is the only thing that stands out

I think Neal might get less due to him not being Ruutu.

Either way, unless he's banned from the NHL for life, everyone on here will ***** and moan about a grand conspiracy against the Jackets. Carry the Persecution Complex!

I couldn't agree more.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:13 AM
forktie

This seems fitting to look at now.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/11...spensions.html

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

A small blurb about the hit on NHL Live: "The NHL is going to look into it."
Gee ok thanks for the info.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

If the NHL is serious about making a statement they will do it here.

Neal is the biggest coward. He runs away when DD challenges in him in the first period, then comes back in the second period and gives him a cheap shot.

He needs to get suspended for a few games. He intentionally came across the ice, with the idea of hitting DD face first into the boards. Im not buying that there was no malicious intent. What a joke, go hang out with Scuderi you pansy.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

What I find funny is how the HOMER Dallas fans over on their board are defending this hit as if he did some sort of vigilante justice. As both a Jackets fan and a fan of the game all together, if this was the other way around - Dorsett on Neal - I would be saying the same thing...three games!