HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Tim Cheveldae

Old
07-18-2017, 08:06 PM
needmorefighting

vCash: 500
Tim Cheveldae

What are your thoughts on this guy?

I remember his career and watching him plenty of times, and it always struck me that he just seemed like some guy they plucked out of the stands and put pads on and said "just go out there and stop the puck any way you can"

Everything about his goaltending style was so slow and ugly. And I also noticed he was one of the early purveyors of wearing a bit more equipment than you need. You'd never know he was an average (for the time) 5'10 180ish.

His skating seemed to be bad, his glove seemed to be bad, he recovered poorly. And yet he ended up having what was a fairly decent NHL career.

needmorefighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 10:03 PM
ChrisK97

Guy was surprisingly durable. In his 3 best years, played 65-72-67 from 1990-91 to 1992-93, winning 30+ games each time.

That said, Cheveldae was also a classic case of a goalie that got some impressive goal support (his GAA numbers were meh, but his Wings team had enough firepower for Cheveldae to win most of the regular season shootouts)

ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
Guy was surprisingly durable. In his 3 best years, played 65-72-67 from 1990-91 to 1992-93, winning 30+ games each time.

That said, Cheveldae was also a classic case of a goalie that got some impressive goal support (his GAA numbers were meh, but his Wings team had enough firepower for Cheveldae to win most of the regular season shootouts)
In his first 3 seasons he was good enoough to warrant vezina votes. Top-4 in 92. Cheveldae just got caught between the goalie revolution. Better goalies were already in the league and better goalies were on their way.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Cheveldae just got caught between the goalie revolution. Better goalies were already in the league and better goalies were on their way.
This is my conclusion as well - the sub-six foot stand-up style netminders didn't survive that transition particularly well, and Cheveldae was never one of the faster goalies to begin with.

At the end of his Detroit run, Cheveldae also had to deal with the boo birds at the Joe (who were relentless). A good article:

http://www.mitchalbom.com/anger-seep...eveldaes-mask/

It was bad enough that the team actually moved the playing of the national anthems, so that the teams would come out just before puck drop.

Old
07-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Awards:
^Great read, thanks for linking.

I remember when Cheveldae was the toast of the town in Winnipeg. Was given a standing ovation after a 41 save shutout of the Blues, and a few nights later earned a win over his former team (a rare Jets game on HNIC, no less). Gotta think that stretch was one of the sweetest moments of his career.

Didn't last long, though. Khabibulin was the new hotshot the following season, and most Jets fans began clamoring for Khabby to start over Chevy.

My favourite Chevy memory was a game I attended against Toronto in 1995, stopped 44 of 45 shots and was named the first star while (apparently) battling a case of the stomach flu.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-19-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 01:30 PM
tony d
BMO

I remember him, was a solid goalie in the early 90's. Was never all that great in the playoffs and the team moved on from him.

07-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
This is my conclusion as well - the sub-six foot stand-up style netminders didn't survive that transition particularly well, and Cheveldae was never one of the faster goalies to begin with.

At the end of his Detroit run, Cheveldae also had to deal with the boo birds at the Joe (who were relentless). A good article:

It was bad enough that the team actually moved the playing of the national anthems, so that the teams would come out just before puck drop.
The emergance of Osgood in Detroit and Khabibulin in Winnipeg spelled the end for his career. Cheevers (I think it was atleast) got him a try out with the Bruins but he couldnt even get the back up job over Tallas and Carey and he was out of the NHL forever. He ended his career as a backup to Manny Legace in the IHL.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 03:51 PM
MS

Cheveldae was never very good but won a lot of games for 3 years as the weak link behind a strong up-and-coming Red Wings team. Peaked as a middling to slightly-below-average starter for a couple years.

He was basically the last of the old-school undersized stand-up goalies that dominated the sport until the early-mid 1980s. Was already a bit of a dinosaur technically even in his early 20s and wasn't surprising he was flushed out of the league by age 28 in the flood of bigger butterfly netminders that took over.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post

Outside the Lions QB, the toughest position in Detroit sports in being goaltender for the Wings.

The Red Wings not exactly being the strongest defensive team back then did him no favors. But he also had the tendency to fold when it mattered the most. Especially on a team that was starting to have higher expectations.

He is in that Dan Cloutier class where he flashed potential but never panned out.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2017, 12:04 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

it was a funny time, and as others have said a paradigm shift in goaltending.

right before cheveldae came in, the hotshot young goalies were bob essensa, ron tugnutt, peter sidorkiewicz (all little tiny guys), and sean burke (big giant guy).

then in chevy's rookie year, you had a really big crop of rookie goalies: belfour, cujo, richter, chevy, hackett, tabaracci, and the great troy gamble.

it really felt like the position changed with the '91 rookie class. the next two star young goalies to come in were potvin and brodeur.

by '94, marty's rookie year, sidorkiewicz was basically out of the league, tugnutt was on his fourth team in three years, and chevy and essensa were traded for each other. meanwhile, belfour, cujo, and richter were all stars and well on their way to HHOF/HOVG careers.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Sparty

Grew up in Detroit around this time and was in high school in the early-nineties. One of my good friends bought a Cheveldae jersey and didn't get much run out of it because he took so much flack about it. He probably only wore it a couple times before retiring it.

Sparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2017, 11:09 AM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

I vaguely recall his brief time in Boston, where he couldn't land a job in a black hole of goalies. I thought the fact he was semi-decent in Winnipeg would get him a backup spot at least, but no....

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote