HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Randy Jones on Re-Entry Waivers Edit: Claimed by LA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
  #101
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I don't understand this move by the Flyers. I read on hockeybuzz that the Flyers WOULDN'T put him on re-entry unless there was a taker. This doesn't make sense to me at all. That's like saying, I won't drive my car fast unless I get a speeding ticket...makes no sense.

Someone explain this to me.
No idea. Maybe they need to save an extra $1.4M in actual salary?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
  #102
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavsson View Post
LA? Out of all teams LA thought they need him?

I was so wrong about my assumption...

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:39 AM
  #103
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I don't understand this move by the Flyers. I read on hockeybuzz that the Flyers WOULDN'T put him on re-entry unless there was a taker. This doesn't make sense to me at all. That's like saying, I won't drive my car fast unless I get a speeding ticket...makes no sense.

Someone explain this to me.
There is no explanation.

I can say, without exaggeration, that this is the single dumbest GM move of the decade. Every other stupid GM move, there's been some kind of justification for it, this one, there is absolutely no justification whatsoever.

It's a move that's absolutely going to murder the Flyers if/when Gagne gets back. If any one of our players gets hurt for 10 days, we won't be able to bring in a replacement.

It's absolutely moronic, the exact same thing caused the Flyers to play ATOs in games in the stretch run last year (they lost both) which cost them home-ice in the playoffs and now he's done the exact same thing.

I can't exaggerate how terrible this move is, Holmgren should be fired based on it alone.

EDIT: For example, pretend Gagne comes back and Coburn and Pronger both get hurt for 10 days. That means that the Flyers will probably be forced to send down 2 of their forwards (probably Giroux and JVR) and sign 2 crap players on ATOs for 10 days and essentially only play 4 d-men.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
  #104
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Guess for DL, getting a Flyer property for half the price is just too great to pass up.

I also don't think we need him. I guess Alec Martinez gets send down, but still I just don't see him breaking top 6 d.
They do need Jones. Right now the 7th d-man is Peter Harrold and there is no way Martinez is getting back in this line-up unless someone's game collapses or injury. Either way, he's injured at the moment anyways.

Jones is a better d-man than Harrold and getting him for free at half-price is a smart move. Martinez can go back to Manchester and get playing time and Hickey/Voinov have more of a buffer between them and a much-too-soon call-up.

Jones can sit in the press box at that price and it's fine by me. This is just a shrewd move by a GM who feels his team should make the playoffs this season. If you feel that is the case and you can strengthen the lower-end of your D-pairings for free then you have to do it.

This move is all about insulating this team from the inevitable injuries/illness that will strike throughout the year.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
  #105
Youngblood93
Registered User
 
Youngblood93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
They do need Jones. Right now the 7th d-man is Peter Harrold and there is no way Martinez is getting back in this line-up unless someone's game collapses or injury. Either way, he's injured at the moment anyways.

Jones is a better d-man than Harrold and getting him for free at half-price is a smart move. Martinez can go back to Manchester and get playing time and Hickey/Voinov have more of a buffer between them and a much-too-soon call-up.

Jones can sit in the press box at that price and it's fine by me. This is just a shrewd move by a GM who feels his team should make the playoffs this season. If you feel that is the case and you can strengthen the lower-end of your D-pairings for free then you have to do it.

This move is all about insulating this team from the inevitable injuries/illness that will strike throughout the year.
Well put..........:handcl ap:

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
  #106
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,526
vCash: 50
Great move by the Kings,

TERRIBLE move by the Flyers

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
  #107
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
They do need Jones. Right now the 7th d-man is Peter Harrold and there is no way Martinez is getting back in this line-up unless someone's game collapses or injury. Either way, he's injured at the moment anyways.

Jones is a better d-man than Harrold and getting him for free at half-price is a smart move. Martinez can go back to Manchester and get playing time and Hickey/Voinov have more of a buffer between them and a much-too-soon call-up.

Jones can sit in the press box at that price and it's fine by me. This is just a shrewd move by a GM who feels his team should make the playoffs this season. If you feel that is the case and you can strengthen the lower-end of your D-pairings for free then you have to do it.

This move is all about insulating this team from the inevitable injuries/illness that will strike throughout the year.
This is exactly it. Martinez is not ready to play in the NHL, and it's very short sighted to think that the kings would go a whole season without a single injury on the blueline. Also makes perfect sense that this move was done now before the kings jump up the waiver priority list in November.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
  #108
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Wow, he didn't make it far. 5th waiver priority took him.

I'm surprised he was even claimed at all, personally.
That doesn't mean that any other team put in a claim for him...Toronto could claim Stephane Yelle and one could make the claim that he was in high demand because the first team took him (well, when the standings reset in November), but in actuality, Toronto was the lone claimer, which would state quite the opposite...that only the worst team in the league would consider using Yelle...you know what I mean?

The NHL doesn't release teams that unsuccessfully put in claims for a player...so we'll never know who was interested in Jones, but I imagine it's a very short list if it's longer than just Los Angeles at all...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
  #109
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India
 
Roman Reigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Echo Lima Delta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,744
vCash: 500
how is it a bad move for philly? maybe no one wanted to trade for him, and he had to go on re-entry waivers to get back to the NHL anyways.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
  #110
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 18,821
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
LA? Out of all teams LA thought they need him?

I was so wrong about my assumption...
Out of the 4 teams that could have claimed him before LA, yes

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:00 PM
  #111
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
how is it a bad move for philly? maybe no one wanted to trade for him, and he had to go on re-entry waivers to get back to the NHL anyways.
It's bad because we're stuck with almost 1.4 mil in dead cap space and screwed cap-wise once Gagne comes back.

It was stupid to put him in the NHL in the first place therefore he should have never been on waivers in the first place. We put him in the minors in the beginning of the year for a reason.

We didn't need another d-man on the roster and even if we did then Jones wouldn't be the guy we would call up.

Take it from an actual Philly fan. This is horrible, horrible management by Holmgrem.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
  #112
rajuabju
Registered User
 
rajuabju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
They do need Jones. Right now the 7th d-man is Peter Harrold and there is no way Martinez is getting back in this line-up unless someone's game collapses or injury. Either way, he's injured at the moment anyways.

Jones is a better d-man than Harrold and getting him for free at half-price is a smart move. Martinez can go back to Manchester and get playing time and Hickey/Voinov have more of a buffer between them and a much-too-soon call-up.

Jones can sit in the press box at that price and it's fine by me. This is just a shrewd move by a GM who feels his team should make the playoffs this season. If you feel that is the case and you can strengthen the lower-end of your D-pairings for free then you have to do it.

This move is all about insulating this team from the inevitable injuries/illness that will strike throughout the year.
When I just read the Kings picked him up, my initial reaction was WTF. Why!?!?

After reading your well written post... I realize you are dead on accurate.

For less than $1.5M, for 1 year, its a great move. He IS better than Harrold for the #7 position; Harrold is playing 4-line forward anyhow (and actually not bad at it), and Martinez will be sent back down soon.

rajuabju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
  #113
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
There is no explanation.

I can say, without exaggeration, that this is the single dumbest GM move of the decade. Every other stupid GM move, there's been some kind of justification for it, this one, there is absolutely no justification whatsoever.
No. Dale Tallon not properly filing qualifying offers is the single dumbest GM move of the decade.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
  #114
IamSamIam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
When I just read the Kings picked him up, my initial reaction was WTF. Why!?!?

After reading your well written post... I realize you are dead on accurate.

For less than $1.5M, for 1 year, its a great move. He IS better than Harrold for the #7 position; Harrold is playing 4-line forward anyhow (and actually not bad at it), and Martinez will be sent back down soon.
The Flyers had given up on Jones. They have cap room because of the Gagne injury. This was about saving some $$$ and making room for another player in Adirondack.

IamSamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
  #115
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
That doesn't mean that any other team put in a claim for him...Toronto could claim Stephane Yelle and one could make the claim that he was in high demand because the first team took him (well, when the standings reset in November), but in actuality, Toronto was the lone claimer, which would state quite the opposite...that only the worst team in the league would consider using Yelle...you know what I mean?

The NHL doesn't release teams that unsuccessfully put in claims for a player...so we'll never know who was interested in Jones, but I imagine it's a very short list if it's longer than just Los Angeles at all...
...yes, I'm familiar with how the waiver system works. Not sure what part of my post gave any indication that I wasn't...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
  #116
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
No. Dale Tallon not properly filing qualifying offers is the single dumbest GM move of the decade.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, regardless, it's top 5.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
  #117
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 31,895
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
BigKing, I understand your point about Jones.. but what if the Kings are in contention at the deadline and could have used that cap space to fill a bigger role than just a 7th dman?

Obviously that is situational, but could this play a role later in the season?


Take Pittsburgh for example. They were a team w/ no true identity except for a young team w/ a lot of potential. They added Hossa to the mix and found out they were actual Cup contenders. We knew there was a possibility of that in the future, but nobody thought it would happen that soon. Now there is an identity here in Pittsburgh and it helped speed up the progression of this team immensely.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
  #118
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Cap space isn't an issue for Philly.
how is not an issue, it's an issue for every team. Yea Gagne is hurt so you have some wiggle room but when it comes down to the deadline having 1.4 in cap space helps alot

It is a little over rated though as 1 million left gives you a 4 million dollar player at the deadline I believe

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
  #119
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by todderamaa View Post
The Flyers had given up on Jones. They have cap room because of the Gagne injury. This was about saving some $$$ and making room for another player in Adirondack.
They don't have cap room for this stupidity. And the Flyers don't give a **** about 3 mill.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
  #120
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
BigKing, I understand your point about Jones.. but what if the Kings are in contention at the deadline and could have used that cap space to fill a bigger role than just a 7th dman?

Obviously that is situational, but could this play a role later in the season?
Considering that the Kings have >$8.5M in available cap space (after claiming Jones), I doubt that that will be an issue.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
  #121
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
There is no explanation.

I can say, without exaggeration, that this is the single dumbest GM move of the decade. Every other stupid GM move, there's been some kind of justification for it, this one, there is absolutely no justification whatsoever.

It's a move that's absolutely going to murder the Flyers if/when Gagne gets back. If any one of our players gets hurt for 10 days, we won't be able to bring in a replacement.

It's absolutely moronic, the exact same thing caused the Flyers to play ATOs in games in the stretch run last year (they lost both) which cost them home-ice in the playoffs and now he's done the exact same thing.

I can't exaggerate how terrible this move is, Holmgren should be fired based on it alone.

EDIT: For example, pretend Gagne comes back and Coburn and Pronger both get hurt for 10 days. That means that the Flyers will probably be forced to send down 2 of their forwards (probably Giroux and JVR) and sign 2 crap players on ATOs for 10 days and essentially only play 4 d-men.
Maybe they wanted to save real dollars?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
  #122
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I don't understand this move by the Flyers. I read on hockeybuzz that the Flyers WOULDN'T put him on re-entry unless there was a taker. This doesn't make sense to me at all. That's like saying, I won't drive my car fast unless I get a speeding ticket...makes no sense.

Someone explain this to me.

flyers clearing cap space for a move?

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
  #123
CBGB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
T
I can say, without exaggeration, that this is the single dumbest GM move of the decade.
So... Brayden Coburn for Alexi Zhitnik wasn't as bad?

Signing Dan Cloutier to a 2 year deal before he played a game wasn't as bad?

Really?

Do you want me to keep going?

Claiming a guy at half his price is the single dumbest GM move in the last decade?

My, oh, my are you this much of a drama queen at home?

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
  #124
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
flyers clearing cap space for a move?
Jones didn't affect the cap in the minors. Now half of his salary counts against the cap.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
  #125
Cinerary
The Inexorable
 
Cinerary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
Absolutely brutal move by Holmgren. What a ****ing idiot.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.