HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another waiver gem?

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2009, 02:08 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

vCash: 500
Another waiver gem?

Randy Jones is on re-entry waivers

He's scheduled to make 3.0Mill this year (last year of his deal) BUT I believe on re-entry it's either HALF the salary or HALF the cap hit (not sure - pls clarify if anyone knows).

I don't know if Randy Jones is more Andy Sutton or is he better?

I do believe he's an upgrade over what we have. He's fairly young and has experience on a successful, competitive team who has depth on defense.

HockeyNews Overview:
ASSETS: Has good size and solid puck-moving skills. Is capable of logging important minutes and will play the body. Can also chip in with some offense.
FLAWS: Is extremely inconsistent in the hitting department and could stand to play a more physical game. Must tighten up his defensive-zone coverage.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Top six defenseman.

thoughts?

Last edited by redbull: 10-28-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: incorrect salary number initially
Old
10-28-2009, 02:12 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Randy Jones is on re-entry waivers

He's scheduled to make 2.5Mill this year and 3MM next year BUT I believe on re-entry it's either HALF the salary or HALF the cap hit (not sure - pls clarify if anyone knows).

I don't know if Randy Jones is more Andy Sutton or is he better?

I do believe he's an upgrade over what we have. He's fairly young and has experience on a successful, competitive team who has depth on defense.

HockeyNews Overview:
ASSETS: Has good size and solid puck-moving skills. Is capable of logging important minutes and will play the body. Can also chip in with some offense.
FLAWS: Is extremely inconsistent in the hitting department and could stand to play a more physical game. Must tighten up his defensive-zone coverage.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Top six defenseman.

thoughts?
As opposed to a bottom 6 dman?

Old
10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Strummergas

Maybe we can end the Hillen experiment?

Old
10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Otto91

There is no doubt We need to add size all over the ice! Not sure on his skating...Does He play with an edge to his game?

One of Freddy, Gervais, Martinek, or Hillen would have to go if Jones is brought in...

I don't see any team having interest in Witt or Sutton this early in the season.

Old
10-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post

Actually feel Hillen is playing better then Martinek or Gervais

Old
10-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Actually feel Hillen is playing better then Martinek or Gervais
Maybe, but that might just be because they're both playing like doody in recent games. I expect Martinek to get back to normal.

All things being equal though, I think both Martinek and Gervais are better than Hillen. Jack has some offensive ability (but hasn't done anything with it) but I have absolutely no confidence in him in his own zone. I'm not advocating picking up Randy Jones because, frankly, I don't know enough about him. Still, something needs to be done about the d corps.

Old
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Sneekypete

He would be a upgrade over Hillen, Gervais,Witt,Sutton,FMVIIIII and Martinek.
He skates well and coule be a good PPQB behind Streit.
He is inconsistent playin the body and sometimes has brain farts in the D-zone.
The Flyer community has always hated his play but could fill in nicely here in a place that he has zero pressure.

Old
10-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
thoughts?
Weekly Islander tryouts at 2pm today.....

Old
10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
islandermike

I personally would rather see Macdonald or Kohn get a shot before claiming Randy Jones.

Old
10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I knew you'd like this thread
--------------------------------------------

I don't know exactly what kind of player Randy Jones is. I know he averages 19min/game last year on a pretty good Flyers team. For his style of defenseman, being unnoticed is a good thing. Flyers have depth on defense and are up against the cap - Randy Jones makes pretty good money at $3Mill in the last year of his deal.

I believe we could land Jones for 1.5 Mill for the balance of the year. It's almost no risk to the Islanders, limited cap hit and limited salary hit. If it works out, great, we can extend him. If not - EVERYONE can use a defenseman with size and NHL experience on the last year of their deal at the deadline. It amounts to just over a half year's salary (minimal) for, at worst, an asset coming back or a serviceable defenseman.

Old
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I actually think Hillen's been pretty decent... too bad he's just completely outmatched physically.

Last edited by Richie Daggers Crime: 10-28-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I actually think Hillen's been pretty decent... too bad he's just completely outmatched physically.
I guess that's where my lack of confidence in him stems from. It's bad enough some of the forwards get pushed around. You definitely don't want a d man being pushed off the puck in the defensive zone.

Old
10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I'd be surprised if they invested 1.5 M.

Old
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Maybe, but that might just be because they're both playing like doody in recent games. I expect Martinek to get back to normal.

All things being equal though, I think both Martinek and Gervais are better than Hillen. Jack has some offensive ability (but hasn't done anything with it) but I have absolutely no confidence in him in his own zone. I'm not advocating picking up Randy Jones because, frankly, I don't know enough about him. Still, something needs to be done about the d corps.
strummer i just wanted to thank you for making me laugh in my cubicle and get deathstares...the word doody never fails to make me laugh.
that said, hillen is NOT a better defenseman than martinek. over a small sample-size, any player can be playing better than another and that may just be the case over the past few games. Hillen vs Gervais is a little closer but id still take bruno over jack...and id take randy jones over both

Old
10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
KH1

Quote:
I knew you'd like this thread
--------------------------------------------

I don't know exactly what kind of player Randy Jones is. I know he averages 19min/game last year on a pretty good Flyers team. For his style of defenseman, being unnoticed is a good thing. Flyers have depth on defense and are up against the cap - Randy Jones makes pretty good money at $3Mill in the last year of his deal.

I believe we could land Jones for 1.5 Mill for the balance of the year. It's almost no risk to the Islanders, limited cap hit and limited salary hit. If it works out, great, we can extend him. If not - EVERYONE can use a defenseman with size and NHL experience on the last year of their deal at the deadline. It amounts to just over a half year's salary (minimal) for, at worst, an asset coming back or a serviceable defenseman.
Problem is, as far as I've read he certainly hasn't gone unnoticed by Flyers fans. They absolutely hate the guy. Now I know that Philly fans aren't the most mild-mannered group around so his problems may be a little exaggerated, but take it for what it's worth.

In my opinion the Isles have enough mediocre projects as it is, we don't need to take other teams' losers off their hands. In any case, this is probably the first and last time that anyone will describe Randy Jones as a "gem."

Old
10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

"Well, he's bigger than Hillen......"

Old
10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Open Net

Another waiver gem? Where was the first one?

Old
10-28-2009, 04:46 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
Problem is, as far as I've read he certainly hasn't gone unnoticed by Flyers fans. They absolutely hate the guy. Now I know that Philly fans aren't the most mild-mannered group around so his problems may be a little exaggerated, but take it for what it's worth.

In my opinion the Isles have enough mediocre projects as it is, we don't need to take other teams' losers off their hands. In any case, this is probably the first and last time that anyone will describe Randy Jones as a "gem."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Net View Post
Another waiver gem? Where was the first one?
To clarify, "gem" was sarcastic....there are few diamonds in the rough waiver world! and the "other gem" was schremp ! emoticons next time?

I read the Randy Jones threads on the Flyers board and yes, he's a whipping boy, but as much as I'm not a fan of waiver pickups and not a Randy Jones fan - I REALLY think our defense is the worst in hockey by far. I think ANY improvement is a BIG improvement on this team's ability to win games, hold on to leads, etc.

The fragile psyche of the young players, the lack of team confidence in the games will kill the development of each individual player and of the team as a whole.

If we're not careful, we will surround these promising players with enough negativity and unsuccessful experiences to kill their confidence and severely limit their upside.

Old
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
KH1

Quote:
To clarify, "gem" was sarcastic....there are few diamonds in the rough waiver world! and the "other gem" was schremp ! emoticons next time?

I read the Randy Jones threads on the Flyers board and yes, he's a whipping boy, but as much as I'm not a fan of waiver pickups and not a Randy Jones fan - I REALLY think our defense is the worst in hockey by far. I think ANY improvement is a BIG improvement on this team's ability to win games, hold on to leads, etc.

The fragile psyche of the young players, the lack of team confidence in the games will kill the development of each individual player and of the team as a whole.

If we're not careful, we will surround these promising players with enough negativity and unsuccessful experiences to kill their confidence and severely limit their upside.
I have no arguments with any of this except the notion that adding Randy Jones will make the Islanders any better than they are now. Talk to me when there's someone available who can log top 4 minutes. Actually, don't even bother because this team would be too cheap to acquire him anyway.

Old
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I have no arguments with any of this except the notion that adding Randy Jones will make the Islanders any better than they are now. Talk to me when there's someone available who can log top 4 minutes. Actually, don't even bother because this team would be too cheap to acquire him anyway.
Fair enough, that's what I was looking for - whether anyone thought anything of Randy Jones to suggest he'd be an upgrade over Gervais, Martinek, Sutton, Hillen, Witt and Meyer.

Tough to not act desparate when, on a winning team, in my opinion, Streit would be #2, Martinek #5 and Witt#6.

There's no #1, #3, #4 on this team....and I suppose Randy Jones is not one of them.

Last edited by redbull: 10-28-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old
10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Otto91

Randy might not be a bad pick up. Snow could deal one of the others in a package with a forward to get some return....all just options

Old
10-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

"Well, he's bigger than Hillen......"

Kid in on the right giving the can opener to his buddy!

Old
10-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Renbarg

Randy Jones is TERRIBLE. Please no, he would be a detriment simply by touching the ice, we don't need any more of those type of dmen.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

Heres a few more waiting for tryouts

10-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Hasn't Jones' game gone down the tube since he had a serious hip or knee injury?

It's one thing to take a chance on a guy who's had some bad luck, but damaged goods (if that's what he is) are not something we need anymore of.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 10-28-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Closed Thread