HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts' Avery 2.0

Old
10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
NYRangers1388

vCash: 500
Torts' Avery 2.0

It really seems that Avery has been far less effective this year than in years past. Thoughts on this?

I feel like Avery-on-a-leash isn't really being that effective...it seems to take him out of the game; he looks withdrawn and 50% as passionate as years past.

It's sad, really...

NYRangers1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Yea. Looks to me like Torts the tyrant gave him a lobotomy or something.

Ill be honest, Im a big critic of Avery when hes acting like a clown out there...but hes not talented enough to coast around out there and be a factor. He needs to toe that line and cause some controlled havoc. Havent seen that out of him at all this season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:59 PM
In The Flesh

he's playing well and is doing good things, but as far as being his true self I agree.

honestly, I don't really like Torts, but thats just me.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Balej20*

He's very close to a none factor when he's not playing "his" game. When he's not allowed to play his game he isn't engaged and doesn't do much of anything well. You gotta take the bad with the good when it comes to him...because he can bring you a whole lotta good when you let him just play.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Yeah haven't liked what I've seen so far with avery's play overall. He's generating chances and taking hits and laying hits and skating well, but that isn't the point, that's what you -should- be doing. But I haven't seen him really agitating the other team and drawing the oppositions attention like he used to last season. I know they were working on discipline with taking too many penalties lately but torts has gotta loosen the chain or he's yet another 3rd line grinder

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
We need Sean Avery to be more reckless. Avery's antics makes the rest of the team feel at ease, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.

I don't think Tortarella's antics have made anyone feel at ease (yet).

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

all part of the Master plan... redefine yourself and save the edginess for the end of the season...

10-28-2009, 11:55 PM
chip chipperson*

the best part of averys game is taking the other team off their game and drawing penalties. torts doesnt want him doing that for fear of penalties to avery. it sucks

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:59 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Avery's been this way since his benching Game 5 against the Caps.

The move that cost the Rangers that series and their X factor really was Tortorella putting Avery in the doghouse.

Would've been cool if he didn't back it up by getting himself suspended by being thrown off his game by a fan.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:59 PM
TomLaidlaw

I agree. This new castrated version of Avery isn't as effective as the old Avery. It is almost as if they gave him the Clockwork Orange treatment in the off season and now he is just numbed out.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:15 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

The move that cost the Rangers that series and their X factor really was Tortorella putting Avery in the doghouse.

Would've been cool if he didn't back it up by getting himself suspended by being thrown off his game by a fan.
Avery did that to himself, the penalties he was taking were god awful. And they were horribly timed as well. I don't know if I completely agree with the benching, but he can't go out there and do whatever he wants.

I agree that Avery is more effective when he plays with a sandpaper edge to his game; but I don't know that a part of it is teams have learned to deal with it...the Caps didn't give a crap about Avery's antics in the playoffs and that's why he was more of a thorn in our side than he was theirs.

He's an effective two-way player on the third line when he's not sandpaper. He's underrated as a playmaker, he can hit, and he's got a good wrist shot. With the right players he's a borderline 2nd liner.

I've got nothing to complain about, although the next time Lundqvist gets run I think Avery should just conveniently run into their goalie...its getting ridiculious.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Torts' leash is probably too short this season. Or maybe he's lost. He sure has had his up and downs so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
That's a bit of a stretch...

Aves looked great against Anaheim. Threw his weight around, agitated the star players, stayed out of the box and made the play on AA's 1st Goal. He played within the line and was effective at the same time. He needs to go back to that.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:54 AM
TreeSapLlama

I am torn. I love reckless avery, the one who near the crease will conveniently fall on goalies and agitate the **** out of them, but you can't just blame tort's leash. The penalty Avery took today (the hooking), was a **** call since it was obvious the isle player was holding his stick, is still going to get called no matter what. That play serves no purpose. It doesn't agitate or get players off their game. That penalty is on Avery. If he plays the agitating style he can minus dumb penalties like that i don't think torts would have this tight of a leash.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

This is a bit of a reactionary thread.... When Avery came back he was almost a point per game... He set up a few nice goals from behind the net....

He just has had a few quiet games the last couple... He'll bounce back.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Apparently one of the ways in which Avery gets Brodeur so mad is to talk about how Fatso has to pay alimony to his ex-wife, and talks about the divorce and how ****ed up his kids are and stuff.

Heard this on another forum, could be just a rumor but would make sense as to how he and Marty have such bad blood.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

it's hard to play the way he does when he breathes on someone he gets a penalty called on him

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
ogie

avery's work ethic is ZERO! if you watch him when he doesn't have the puck he just basically stands around.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Apparently one of the ways in which Avery gets Brodeur so mad is to talk about how Fatso has to pay alimony to his ex-wife, and talks about the divorce and how ****ed up his kids are and stuff.

Heard this on another forum, could be just a rumor but would make sense as to how he and Marty have such bad blood.
Hard to say.. People will spread any rumor about avery b/c they know people will believe it.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
avery's work ethic is ZERO! if you watch him when he doesn't have the puck he just basically stands around.
Um, what? Since when? When he doesn't have the puck he's generally in someones face or tussling with someone behind the play. You can say that's not really helping the play, I guess... But I've never heard anyone accuse Sean Avery of standing around, doing nothing.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

He stands around a lot but not because he's lazy but because he can't innately read the play like a lot of guys do, he has to think it. His heads on a swivel when he's standing, noticed this since he got here.

Im serious btw.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
D713B

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,198966

I don't think this needs it's own thread so I figure it can be posted here.

Quote:
Boudreau coached Avery for the Monarchs, and the experience ended up being a negative one. But that was tame compared with what Boudreau recalled Avery saying during Game 7 in the first round of the last year's playoffs against the New York Rangers.

"He told me I was the biggest, fattest bleeping pig he had ever seen," Boudreau said in the book. "He told me I was fatter than bleeping Ken Hitchcock. He told me I was going to die because I was such a fat bleep."

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Um, what? Since when? When he doesn't have the puck he's generally in someones face or tussling with someone behind the play. You can say that's not really helping the play, I guess... But I've never heard anyone accuse Sean Avery of standing around, doing nothing.
I don't know that he's always in someones face or tussling with someone behind the play, but he certainly doesn't just stand around. He plays his position and he forechecks harder than most on this team...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't know that he's always in someones face or tussling with someone behind the play, but he certainly doesn't just stand around. He plays his position and he forechecks harder than most on this team...
Well, as the topic indicates, he certainly hasn't looked the same this season. The Avery I remember in LA and during his first go-round was always doing something behind the play, at least it seemed to me. This season though, he's been much more reserved.

Old
10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Doyle

Is it really Torts or is it the refs no longer letting Avery toe the line.

From what I've seen Avery is afraid because he gets called for everything and anything. Pretty hard to get the opponent off their game if you're just gonna wind up the one in the box..

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Is it really Torts or is it the refs no longer letting Avery toe the line.

From what I've seen Avery is afraid because he gets called for everything and anything. Pretty hard to get the opponent off their game if you're just gonna wind up the one in the box..
It's probably a bit of both. He's afraid of getting called for everything and doesn't want to deal with Tortorella's wrath when he does get whistled.