HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question - watching Sens games in Toronto (in HD)

Old
10-22-2009, 03:08 PM
coldspam

vCash: 500
Question - watching Sens games in Toronto (in HD)

I'm a Sens fan living in Toronto, and as you would imagine it has been extremely frustrating for me to not be able to watch Sens games live unless they are playing against the Leafs on a Saturday night. TSN would have some Sens games throughout the season but it's too few and too far in between. My question is, how can I watch more Sens games during the regular season?

coldspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
moz
Gute Post

Best answer = Centre Ice

Cheap answer = streams

10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
fishbaby

I'm in the same boat as you. Sens fan in the city of the dead.

I have Center Ice and RDS and also the NHL network. And I still manage to miss games because CBC won't even televise the Sens game in Ottawa on a Saturday night. Very sad.

Center Ice HD hardly ever carries Sens games and I usually have to watch the other games broadcast on CI on my small TV because the feed is so horrible and it gets all blurry when I watch on the big TV.

There's no easy cure for being a Sens fan in the "mecca of hockey".

fishbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:51 AM
SensNo1
Sens#1

Has anyone found a cheap bar in Toronto that has CI?? (I know, bit of an oxymoron)

I'd gladly pay $10-15 for a few beers and a Sens game (even by myself), as long as the bartender doesn't hassle me to finish my beer quicker and buy more. Plus, this way you get to pick the games and don't have to pay for all of them. I don't have a TV or broadband.

SensNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Alfredsson

I'm in the same boat AND I don't have TV!!!

It is frustrating but SOPcast last night was amazing quality and I intend to use it from now on.

I did however find a "habs" bar in Toronto called Kilgour's, located on Bloor st and Borden st. So they televised the Sens/Habs game last saturday, and there was actually a lot of Sens fans there, which was cool.

Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Jerry Aldini

Question - I live in Toronto, have ExpressVu, and Center Ice is wrapping up its free preview of the start of the season - so far, no SENS games they aired were blacked out, like they were on Sportsnet...I have no problem ordering CI for the rest of the season, provided the games will continue to not be blacked out...anyone know if this will continue throughout the season, or were the no-blackouts just part of this free CI promo?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows

Jerry Aldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Pangu

I believe that Center Ice will show games that are on Sportsnet-East and some of the games with no television coverage in Canada. It will continue to blockout games that are also on CBC (which you can stream online through CBC's website), TSN and I am not sure about TSN2 or RDS. I guess the thing that we (I) need to know is whether we can get games on TSN2 and how many of the non-covered games are on CI. Also, good Sens bars in Toronto would be good to know.

I count 34 games on SNET-E, 16ish on other channels too (which may lead to blackouts). 7 games have no broadcaster. 6 on TSN2. So I would guess that CI would give you 47 games max and as little as 18.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 03:24 AM
SensNo1
Sens#1

^^^^
I'm pretty sure CI shows a lot more than that. I think the idea is: if there's a camera crew in the building, it's on CI. That means everything except certain Saturday night games and a few others. So I'd guess there's at least 70 Sens games on CI per season. The trouble is knowing how many are in HD, but if that doesn't affect you then you should be in the clear.

Of course, wait for someone who's actually had CI to confirm before you go and sign up!

Old
10-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Gesus

I find about half the games are from sportsnet in HD (Shown on Center Ice),and the rest are scattered. Most if not all but a couple of CBC covered games are in SD, the odd game (probably about 10-15 per year) are on TSN or TSN2 in HD. The rest are a crapshoot, basically SD only unless a US station picks it up, and CI carries it in HD, which is very rare.

I would say, as a CI subscriber, you should get 40-50 games in HD, 20-35 in SD, and the rest arent covered at all. Some of it depends on your service provider though. I hate Sportsnet for the most part, but, if it werent for them, we would only get about 15-30 games in HD per year.

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:01 PM
ohmbrew

If you're looking for a bar that shows Sens games in Toronto, I think Grace O'Malleys at 14 Duncan St. shows them. It's a pretty good spot.

I know during playoff time, the bar practically turns into a Sens bar (that is of course, when we are in the playoffs).

ohmbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
trashmouth12

I am in the same boat but I just purchased Gamecenter Live. They will only not show the CBC games and TSN games.

trashmouth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:28 PM
costermonger
sans classe

Last year, in Kitchener w/ Rogers, the Senators were shown on CI in high def maybe once. If it happened, and I can't remember for sure if it did, it was an FSN broadcast of a Bruins or Rags home game. I've yet to see CI show a game broadcast by Sportsnet East in HD.

Only HD games I saw were on SNET-O, CBC national and TSN. This year I think TSN2 has one or two as well.

SD is better than nothing at all, but it's damn frustrating to live in or near the GTA and know that most of the games you're paying to watch are broadcast in HD somewhere, but you can't see it.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Caeldan

So far during the CI preview - every Sportsnet East game has been in HD from what I've seen. Also, when TSN shows Senators games those are typically in HD as well.

As far as Toronto area bars with CI... if you get real desperate just check the chain bar and grill types like Shoeless Joes, Turtle Jacks, Crabby's, etc...

From my experience (I've been in a couple around) these types seem to usually have CI and enough receivers that while the TO game will be on the big screen (whether its Leafs, Raptors, or maybe an NFL game) - you can usually get the bartenders to change one of the other TVs to the Sens game.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Jerry Aldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmbrew View Post
If you're looking for a bar that shows Sens games in Toronto, I think Grace O'Malleys at 14 Duncan St. shows them. It's a pretty good spot.

I know during playoff time, the bar practically turns into a Sens bar (that is of course, when we are in the playoffs).
Yupp, been there alot, and an awesome place to go for playoff games

Old
10-29-2009, 08:31 AM
SensNo1
Sens#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Aldini View Post
Yupp, been there alot, and an awesome place to go for playoff games
Any idea how much drinks cost at Gracie's, say, domestic non-premium pints and bottles?!? (I'm VERY poor at the moment!)

Old
10-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Jerry Aldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensNo1 View Post
Any idea how much drinks cost at Gracie's, say, domestic non-premium pints and bottles?!? (I'm VERY poor at the moment!)
Erm, not sure, dom. bottles are prolly $4 or $4.50 though...

Old
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Also in the same boat --- with no tv. So I really just watch streams... or go to someones with Satellite. Because on Satellite you get the Ottawa channels and TSN2.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote