HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What Ever Happened to "Let them Play"?

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 01:40 PM
JV

vCash: 500

I can't comment on the West, but the two Eastern series I've been following seem to be dominated by special teams. Nothing really happens at even strength, and then after a couple of minutes of not such great hockey, somebody goes to the box -- and often for some marginal call. I've seen at least four 5 on 3's in four games I've watched and tons of budget and phantom calls. I wish the refs would just let them play. Unless it's flagrant, keep the whistle out of your mouth.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:17 PM
rye&ginger

call obstruction, call the dumb violent stuff, call both the initiator and retaliator.

Game 2 of sens-leafs got worse because both teams got lazy. The first period was so intense and bone crunching that they couldnt keep that up without having to take penalties.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Markov79

How about calling things the same regardless of playoffs or regular season, first minute or last, blow out or tie. There are rules for a reason and they shouldn't be ignored just because a call may anger alot of people.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:28 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Worst call of the playoffs was by far that slashing call on Toronto. Cost the Leafs game one.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:34 PM
BoatMan

This is just the refs' response to Goodenow claiming that they're the fault of the NHL.

The response: make as many calls as possible!

GO WINGS GO

Old
04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
As a ref your supposed to make people not even notice your there. In playoffs they should keep penalties to a minimum unless you absolutely HAVE to call it.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Castor Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
As a ref your supposed to make people not even notice your there. In playoffs they should keep penalties to a minimum unless you absolutely HAVE to call it.
Wrong. As a ref you're supposed to ensure the game is played in the manner it was meant to be played. There's nothing in the NHL rulebook that says penalties should be kept to a minimum. If anything I'd say its the players' job to make people not even notice the refs are there. It's not the ref's fault if a player decides to cheat.

Old
04-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
I can't comment on the West, but the two Eastern series I've been following seem to be dominated by special teams. Nothing really happens at even strength, and then after a couple of minutes of not such great hockey, somebody goes to the box -- and often for some marginal call. I've seen at least four 5 on 3's in four games I've watched and tons of budget and phantom calls. I wish the refs would just let them play. Unless it's flagrant, keep the whistle out of your mouth.
I've seen at least parts of games in all the series, and full games in 6 series... and it seems to be prevalent throughout. I think it is a specific league directive to call things this way.

I still haven't decided if I like it or not. On the one hand, it sends a powerful message to the players. All the "crackdowns" in the past have been at inconsequential times in the regular season, and nothing has ever come of it. Of course, in terms of correcting players' behaviours nothing immediate will come of this crackdown in the playoffs either. But it will plant a seed that should bloom if the crackdown carries on through the start of next season, and becomes SOP thereafter.

On the other hand... I've seen 3 calls now on slashes against hockey sticks that made no contact with the player's body, tripping calls when a player just steps on the other guys stick, such a wide variety of chintzy hooking calls that seem to be more dive than hook, and high sticks that have only been high because a player lifted his opponent's stick into his own face... sooooo...I dunno... there is value in getting the players to just altogether stop making slashing or hooking motions, regardless of the result on their opponent, I guess. But it's awfully frustrating, and the players are feeling the frustrations too. I'm not sure it won't lead to some explosions that are exactly what the league *doesn't* want. Already at the end of a couple of games on Saturday mayhem was almost unleashed.

The NHL is taking a big gamble, anyway. I have no idea how it will pan out.

Old
04-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Troy McClure

I don't get why they waited until now to change the way they call games. Why wait until the games matter most? Had they been doing this all season, we probably would have had a lot less obstruction and teams used to this style of officiating. The Stars-Avs series has been noting but a parade to the penalty box mostly from hooking calls. They spent half of the last game on special teams.

Old
04-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

The NHL is more focused with selling the game than the game itself.

Old
04-11-2004, 07:38 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
This is 90% the fault of the Bertuzzi incident, 10% the fault of the Flyers-Sens fiasco.

Old
04-11-2004, 08:08 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
As a ref your supposed to make people not even notice your there.
Wrong. As a referee, you don't care if people notice you or not. Your job is to keep the game fair and safe...no matter how many or how few penalties you need to call to do so.

...And in high-profile leagues, you also call what the league tells you to call in order to keep your job.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:15 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Wrong. As a referee, you don't care if people notice you or not. Your job is to keep the game fair and safe...no matter how many or how few penalties you need to call to do so.

...And in high-profile leagues, you also call what the league tells you to call in order to keep your job.
I meant it like this. Say if your watching a game, and you see a penalty that DEFINITLEY should be called, the ref should be on top of it. And the ref shouldn't miss those calls. There are two on the ice, I dont know how they miss penalties like the hook by Gonchar at the end of the game against Montreal. Im a Kings fan, and even I threw my hands in the air. Know what I mean? So basically, the refs should call the game, so that you dont end up screaming "Where's the call!?" or "That was the biggest dive I have ever seen!" Not that anybody thought it should be called otherwise.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:17 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
Worst call of the playoffs was by far that slashing call on Toronto. Cost the Leafs game one.

thats always been a penalty. It can be called interference also. Slashing a stick is like slashing a player because the player becomes useless if it results in a broken stick. Cry about it elsewhere.

You forget to mention the call went the other way for the exact same infraction in game 2? Or did you not know.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:01 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
So basically, the refs should call the game, so that you dont end up screaming "Where's the call!?" or "That was the biggest dive I have ever seen!" Not that anybody thought it should be called otherwise.
Referees do call the game this way. When you well, "Where's the call?", that doesn't always mean the referees screwed up. Maybe they had a reason for not making the call. It depends on their judgment. And if there are any such plays where they both missed it and should have called something (like Sundin throwing his stick into the stands)...well...s*** happens, and they will hear about it from their supervisor.

Kelly Hrudey said it best the other night on HNIC. Players seem to be allowed to make mistakes and get off with the mentality of "better luck next time"...but not referees? Referees are in the playoffs because they earned it, just like the players...and they did not get there by being perfect.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I have no problem with the high number of penalities being called. Anything to get it into these guys heads that water skiing and the like won't be tolerated is fine by me. Just keep up the calls.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:07 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Better late than never, right? At least they're calling the dives this time. Every time there's a crackdown, guys dive. I'm just wondering why they call BOTH. Doesn't a dive mean it's not really interfering with him, he's just trying to draw a penalty?

Old
04-12-2004, 11:36 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod

Nopes... It was questionable call but,

Phantom penalty on Phillips for highsticking!!!! It was just pure "SORRY" to the Leafs for the previous penalties.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
I'm just wondering why they call BOTH. Doesn't a dive mean it's not really interfering with him, he's just trying to draw a penalty?
When a player takes a "dive", he is usually embellishing the effect of the hook (or whatever is interfering with him).

This is why I wish they wouldn't call it diving. They should call it what it is...embellishment...and still have a diving rule for the rare case when a player dives without actually being touched.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:54 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
what happened to it? i don't know, the refs have sucked hardcore this playoff, and have ruined several games for the fans, ruined the momentum for certain teams, ruined the flow of a good game, ruined everything..

they have sucked

Old
04-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Teemu

First you guys ***** and moan about how refs miss calls, now youre criticizing them for making too many?

Let em do their jobs. Which, from what ive seen out of both conferences, they have been doing

Old
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Baron Von Shark

The refs SHOULD call everything. It's up to the players to follow the rules. The thing is, refs must keep it consistent, from regular season to the playoffs.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Mike8

I'm not one to complain about officiating, but I would concur that the refereeing has been abysmal this playoffs. At least for the first couple games. From what I saw last night the officials weren't all that bad, and there was a little more consistency.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:47 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
What ever happened to calling things as they are?

Old
04-12-2004, 06:03 PM
rulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
what happened to it? i don't know, the refs have sucked hardcore this playoff, and have ruined several games for the fans, ruined the momentum for certain teams, ruined the flow of a good game, ruined everything..

they have sucked
If you ask me, it's the players who suck for taking these stupid penalties, ruining the flow of the game, and continuing to take these stupid penalties, even after they've learned that the refs are starting to call it by the book.

Most of the games so far, that I've watched, have been pretty well officiated. Of course, there are the odd bad ones ... you know, the ones where Kerry Fraser refs.

Closed Thread