HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Home Sweet Home" - 10.29.09 - Nashville vs. Chicago

Old
10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
I'm not sure the game looked the same on TV as it did in person, because having been there--this is likely the best game we've played all season. Any time you can limit an offensively-inclined team like Chicago the way we did, while also generating a good number of chances. I actually felt that we could have scored more goals than we did, if not for Huet, who I felt was strong again.

The PK is starting to look what we expected it to be. Scatchard has been a good addition to that aspect of our team. Shot blocking in particular has improved, nice to see everyone sacrificing themselves--I think that's a big part of why Chicago was offensively frustrated, honestly.

Word around the arena is that Erat's scratching WAS for performance, but Trotz was "doing him a favor" by calling it an injury.

The PP looked at times pretty good, and at times as bad as ever. Unfortunately, the times when it was at its worst were generally when Sullivan was overplaying the puck. I actually like the second unit of Bouillon and Franson...much less predictable than Suter and Weber are out there.

Hornqvist continues to be an absolute beast. Dumont has more points at the moment, but if I had to pick a best overall forward to this point, it's Horny for sure. I really like that line...dangerous every time they're out there.

Pekka was good when he had to be, but overall not as tested as some games...we'll take that. Hopefully he's getting his confidence back.

For some reason, I really don't like Kane or Byugflien, so seeing Kane get rocked by Weber three times in a row was rewarding.

While Hawks fans in the arena were quick to point out that they were without Toews...we were without Arnott and...Erat, so I don't know that it holds up.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:34 AM
MemphisMTLfan

I remember hearing Crispy and Weber talking about a player (can't remember, my instincts say Hammer?) who commented that the team prefers for the goalie freeze the puck instead of trying to keep it in play. I know some teams play better with the opposite. That's the difference between how Pekka plays and how Ellis plays and could be part of the reason why the team seemed to play better in front of Pekka last season.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:36 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Do they consider 'hurt ego' a lower body injury? Funny how we didn't seem to miss Erat when late last season his absence was hurting us.

Old
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
RollingPredFan

Winning streak! It was kinda ugly but I'll take it. I don't know if Trotzy was benching Erat for his performance, but he has 1 fluky goal, 0 assists, a -9, all at the bargain price of 5.2 million.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'm not sure the game looked the same on TV as it did in person, because having been there--this is likely the best game we've played all season. Any time you can limit an offensively-inclined team like Chicago the way we did, while also generating a good number of chances. I actually felt that we could have scored more goals than we did, if not for Huet, who I felt was strong again.
+1

I felt tonight the Preds did a great job of blocking shots and limiting the quality chances that Chicago was getting.

Hornqvist looked good again. He had 3 minor penalties but 2 of them were complete B/S.

The coaching staff did a good job of limiting Franson's minutes and putting him in situations where he could succeed and not fall flat on his face. I liked what he did on the power play and his stretch pass off the glass to Horny in the third was SIIICK.

Legwand was working hard out there, but just has absolutely no touch what-so-ever anymore. He couldn't even buy a goal with all the change the Preds' organization is handing him...

Overall I felt the team played one of their best games this season.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I meant to post earlier that these line combos were pretty good, based on the parts available. Each one is dangerous in its own way. When a team finds a way to reinvent itself with the same components, that is a sign of <gulp> good coaching. Let's see if it is sustainable!

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This is why I thought Franson would be the best fit as the sixth defenseman on this team because his offensive game gives the team options that they do not have with Sulzer/Laakso...who simply are not on the same level in that area. Granted, Franson can be a liability defensively, but his upside is also much higher than those two. I like what we are doing with him. He has actually been a decent player for us since his call up.

It should be pointed out that the Hawks have Hossa coming back from surgery soon.......this team is going to be insanely good when healthy. Their only weakness is goaltending, which could be a fatal flaw....

10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is why I thought Franson would be the best fit as the sixth defenseman on this team because his offensive game gives the team options that they do not have with Sulzer/Laakso...who simply are not on the same level in that area. Granted, Franson can be a liability defensively, but his upside is also much higher than those two. I like what we are doing with him. He has actually been a decent player for us since his call up.

It should be pointed out that the Hawks have Hossa coming back from surgery soon.......this team is going to be insanely good when healthy. Their only weakness is goaltending, which could be a fatal flaw....

For as much crap as he has taken from the fanbase i think he has done really well. His pass yesterday off the glass right onto the stick of Hornqvist or Santorelli? (can't remember, it was a right hander though) to give them a semi-breakway was absolutely filthy. We don't have any other D-man that has the touch on passes and vision Franson does.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Right now Nashville has more wins and just the same amount of points as Detroit. Normally, this would be a cause to celebrate but with Wings rotting like the city they play for the Preds should HOPE to win more than Detroit.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Do you guys remember when Belak was on the point and Versteeg blew past him for a breakaway?

What was that all about? Was he actually back there playing d for a shift? Regardless I dotn remember seeing him on the ice for the rest of the game after that.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm pretty sure that was a power play, but I had to record the game (I still hate baseball), and I sort of skipped through a lot of it.

If I'm right, what in the hell was Belak doing on the PP, and why was he playing the point? Is Belak our secret PP quarterback?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Do you guys remember when Belak was on the point and Versteeg blew past him for a breakaway?

What was that all about? Was he actually back there playing d for a shift? Regardless I dotn remember seeing him on the ice for the rest of the game after that.
I was stunned and appalled to see him out with 30 seconds remaining on a power play, and not at all surprised to see the breakaway he IMMEDIATELY gave up.

He didn't see much ice after that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Right now Nashville has more wins and just the same amount of points as Detroit. Normally, this would be a cause to celebrate but with Wings rotting like the city they play for the Preds should HOPE to win more than Detroit.
But Detroit has played fewer games...

Old
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
But Detroit has played fewer games...
one less and with Flippula out 8 weeks with a wrist and Franzen out and Hudler enjoying borched in the KHL and crappy goaltending, Detroit may just end up as the bottom team of the central. Let that sink in.......

Old
10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
deleted

As much as I hate Detroit, they're not gonna end up last in the division. They can still score insane amounts of goals. Once the goaltending gets a bit better they'll be fine...unfortunately.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:17 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

What makes you think their goaltending will get better? It was pretty bad last season with the same netminders. I don't think Detroit will end up last in the division either, but it's a very real possibility. They do have a great coaching staff, and the team is full of veterans who know how to handle pressure. The real question is: Does Detroit know how to play themselves out of a hole?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Osgood is on the decline and only Howard can improve.....but he hasn't shown it. Defensively, Wings fans are missing Lilja.....yeah, that bad. Most thought that the offense would make up the difference but the offense has been hit:

Franzen: 34 Goals 24 Assists
Hudler: 23 Goals 34 Assists
Fillipula: 12 Goals 28 Assists
Hossa: 40 Goals 31 Assists

That's 109 goals 117 Assists

I don't care if you are team Canada, you can't take a hit like that and play crappy D.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

But Detroit can and will trade for a goaltender at some point this year if present trends (i.e., Osgood struggling and Howard sucking) continue. As a local obnoxious radio host likes to say, Book it.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I liked what I saw from Legwand tonight. I remember at least 2 times where Legwand's aggressive forechecking led to Hawk turnovers, which then led to scoring chances by his line. Legwand get robbed by Huet at one point.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:46 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post

I was most concerned on the forward front with Sully's play.
1) I don't like him on the power play. All the PK has to do is pressure him on the wall and he invariably gives up the puck or tries soemthing too fancy, a mindset that infects the other players. Get him off there.
This I agree with. He is playing the half board role of Kariya/Ronning from days gone by but it isn't working IMO. He seemed much more effective in the past down low. Last night he held the puck repeatedly when pressured by two guys-- that means one guy in the box and two on him leaves two Hawks to cover 4 of our guys. Make faster decisions! His style seems to lead to chances for the D (which isn't bad and I understand is a major part of our PP strategy) but rarely seem to involve the other forwards in a way that leads to a scoring opportunity for any of the three forwards. I'm certainly not a coach or expert but something seems wrong with his execution of that setup.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Osgood is on the decline and only Howard can improve.....but he hasn't shown it. Defensively, Wings fans are missing Lilja.....yeah, that bad. Most thought that the offense would make up the difference but the offense has been hit:

Franzen: 34 Goals 24 Assists
Hudler: 23 Goals 34 Assists
Fillipula: 12 Goals 28 Assists
Hossa: 40 Goals 31 Assists

That's 109 goals 117 Assists

I don't care if you are team Canada, you can't take a hit like that and play crappy D.
Don't forget they did also add players when hossa and hudler left. Detroit's offense is still strong without those guys, as evident from their last 2 games putting up 8 3rd period goals (maybe 7). As much as I'd love for them to not fix the goaltending situation...it will get fixed, and Detroit will make the playoffs.

Old
10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Don't forget they did also add players when hossa and hudler left. Detroit's offense is still strong without those guys, as evident from their last 2 games putting up 8 3rd period goals (maybe 7). As much as I'd love for them to not fix the goaltending situation...it will get fixed, and Detroit will make the playoffs.
Well, from a post from Detroit's on cap guru, the Wings can't add any more salary, period. They already have used their LTIR money and what assets do they have for a trade other than old vets? Most of their trade bait is playing for the team now.

Old
10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
deleted

Osgood is still a good goaltender. And I'm not sure if you watched DET - EDM last night, but man Howard was phenomenal the last half of the game. If he played like that for 60 minutes the wings would have won 7 - 0. I'm sure they're working with him to be more consistent. Their goaltending was suspect all last season as well and look what happened. It's one thing to predict us being at the bottom, since year after year we can't score goals...and so far this season our defense has been mediocre, and you never know who will play good or bad in net. But Detroit is so stacked they can afford to lose players and they still play the same.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post

The fourth line was sent out with 17 seconds remaining in the power play to play with a little spark and potentially get something started after the first two PP units had generated nothing (not an uncommon occurrence). Franson and Bouillon were out on the points with the unit and I remembered immediately thinking as I saw the change that Belak would head straight to the front of the net and stay there (much like Byfuglien does). Unfortunately, Bouillon chipped the puck in over the blueline and chased after it. Belak recognized that Bouillon had jumped up into the play and stayed back to man the point.

As soon as that puck was chipped out, everyone in the arena should have known immediately that it would result in a breakaway with arguably our two slowest skaters (Belak would probably win a head to head race) in pursuit. Belak was not sent out there to play the point, but he took that role when he recognized that Bouillon had jumped up into the rush.

It was Belak's last shift of the night, but really...he did the right thing out there on the ice...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote