HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2004 HFBoards Edmonton Posters Awards

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 12:22 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

vCash: 500
How about Barto? He gives his weekly roadrunners release...

Old
04-14-2004, 01:37 AM
Cerebral

Eep you're right, Barto and Seachd both did an amazing job this year! Too many good posters on this board to keep track of!

Old
04-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Slats432

I really don't want to mention any names because for the life of me, respectful or controversial, informative or abraisive; every poster who has said something here that wasn't trying to incite a flame war is valuable to the discussions herein.

I spend more time on HF and HFBoards than any other site on the net, bar none, mainly because of the people on Forum 38 on the HF Dial....

Bravo folks.

Old
04-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Allan

I second that thought. I didn't want to be anti-social and not participate, but I don't like to rank people. Everyone here has been valuable to my views and entertainment at some point.

Group hug?

Old
04-14-2004, 08:55 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I second that thought. I didn't want to be anti-social and not participate, but I don't like to rank people. Everyone here has been valuable to my views and entertainment at some point.

Group hug?
I'll third this sentiment, but on mass we forum 38ers could all just invade some designated site and troll them beyond distraction. Then we could all have a group "thug!"

We collectively have the best board money can't buy, and only passion can pay for. Although huggery & thuggery might not be our collective strong suit--decency does prevail here at HFBoard #38 along with incisive analyses.

I would like to say how much I've enjoyed posts by G2K, Asiaoil, Igor, H-bear, theoil, #1 & #2 to name but too few of all the excellent posters. As well as all those previously mentioned and those not, but still appreciated.

Finally, thank you to IceDragoon and lowetide for welcoming me to the board and I would commend Guy, lowetide, rabi_sultan for all their hard work well done.

Last edited by OYLer: 04-14-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 09:04 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'd like to throw out a few "Thank You's" to Funkymoses and OilersChick too.. they've given a number of great reports on our college prospects and don't seem to be getting too many nominations in this thread!
For sure.

I think I've seen 3 college hockey games in the last 4 years, and all 3 were during my trip to cornell last year.

It's great info to have, and I appreciate the time the both of them put in, and also the work OilersChick puts in to give us updates on Columbus... to bad our ECHL connection is gone next season.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Thank you very much for the recognition. For me, it's all in a day's work.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Mizral

Thanks for those that like me, and a big screw you for those of you that hate me!

Heh, just kidding, actually I enjoy reading those that dislike me sometimes more often.

I won't be able to moderate these boards for the next 30 days, so if you have a problem with things, just blame John or Rabi

Old
04-15-2004, 01:22 AM
kruezer

Hey thanks for the respect eh, I guess Walsh hasn't found this thread yet, so I haven't got trashed too badly yet, but hey this board does rock, its better than being the only person posting on the Flame board (heh, its picking up now though).

Hey OYLer I'm definetaly up a for a group thug, whats say we get that Vancouver board?

Old
04-15-2004, 02:10 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Thanks for those that like me, and a big screw you for those of you that hate me!

Heh, just kidding, actually I enjoy reading those that dislike me sometimes more often.

I won't be able to moderate these boards for the next 30 days, so if you have a problem with things, just blame John or Rabi

Hey Miz! Where's your avatar? Did Lowetide let you off the hook yet?

Old
04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Hey Miz! Where's your avatar? Did Lowetide let you off the hook yet?
It was just until the season ended I'm afraid

Old
04-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Matts

Forget who it was

but for the guy who said I was wrong about Oilers MGM, I just can't see it. It may be proven in the future that I was wrong about Lowe's ability to run a team and to hire around him but for now we missed the playoffs for the second time in the last three years and Lowe flubbed his biggest decision: ie what to do with Salo. I said he'd let the ship go down his pride, ie not admit he made a mistake with Tommy.

And regarding that I was dead right and right now in the middle of April the Oilers are dead because of it

Old
04-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
but for the guy who said I was wrong about Oilers MGM, I just can't see it. It may be proven in the future that I was wrong about Lowe's ability to run a team and to hire around him but for now we missed the playoffs for the second time in the last three years and Lowe flubbed his biggest decision: ie what to do with Salo. I said he'd let the ship go down his pride, ie not admit he made a mistake with Tommy.

And regarding that I was dead right and right now in the middle of April the Oilers are dead because of it
We get the clue, you thought Lowe should have traded Tommy - you're probably correct! There is no need to broadcast this in every thread on the board though..

Old
04-15-2004, 12:54 PM
copperandblue

Quote:

Generally speaking, I think your wrong.

You made the correct call on Salo's play and you attribute it to the entire season going in the tank.

I wonder if Lowe can run the club and have a successful season based on just one single prediction?

Old
04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

I think it would be a completely different tune around here if the Oilers were supposed to be cup contenders. They weren't, they were exactly what Lowe said they would be, a competetive team. He is delivering exactly what he promised up to date, and we'll have to be patient to see if he will deliver the other half of his promise.

Every GM in the National hockey league has been wrong at some point in time on some topic. Every single one. Sometimes it costs their team the playoffs, sometimes it costs them the cup, other times it just destroys the team completely. Every single GM in the league right now has messed up on a major decision, and it has hurt their team.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:12 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think it would be a completely different tune around here if the Oilers were supposed to be cup contenders. They weren't, they were exactly what Lowe said they would be, a competetive team. He is delivering exactly what he promised up to date, and we'll have to be patient to see if he will deliver the other half of his promise.

Every GM in the National hockey league has been wrong at some point in time on some topic. Every single one. Sometimes it costs their team the playoffs, sometimes it costs them the cup, other times it just destroys the team completely. Every single GM in the league right now has messed up on a major decision, and it has hurt their team.
Ya, that pretty much sums up my thinking on this whole tired issue too.

I like this emoticon. But we really need a giant one with a huge dead horse being beaten by dozens and dozens of little men, just for these Salo retrospectives.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Matts

Yeah, I understand that

I'm just saying this guy was saying I was wrong about Oilers MGM and he really didn't define that statement.

I know everyone makes mistakes. I'm not saying Lowe is the worst GM out there. All I said all along was I really have to question their hiring practices and that I thought his decision on Salo would have the biggest '04 impact

Old
04-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Matts

Igor

it's different with me because I said the horse would die a quick death

and that the farmer would continue to use the paddles on him.

OK, enough of these analogies

Old
04-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Hey thanks for the respect eh, I guess Walsh hasn't found this thread yet, so I haven't got trashed too badly yet, but hey this board does rock, its better than being the only person posting on the Flame board (heh, its picking up now though).

Hey OYLer I'm definetaly up a for a group thug, whats say we get that Vancouver board?
Hey I am keeping my mouth shut due to the fact that I was brutally beaten in my prediction/bet with you early in the year (Oilers beating Flames by at least 10 pts). I have to admit pretty impressive by the Flames this year and hey I always respected your opinions and contributions. But, we all know Edmonton is going to rebound and dominate Calgary next year... The Flames just aren't the same calibre as our beloved Oilers. But we will see you next year.

Old
04-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
I'm troubled that you're constantly seeking validation of your opinion on this matter-it makes you seem very insecure. Leave it alone, your act is getting very tired.

Old
04-15-2004, 02:16 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Hey I am keeping my mouth shut due to the fact that I was brutally beaten in my prediction/bet with you early in the year (Oilers beating Flames by at least 10 pts). I have to admit pretty impressive by the Flames this year and hey I always respected your opinions and contributions. But, we all know Edmonton is going to rebound and dominate Calgary next year... The Flames just aren't the same calibre as our beloved Oilers. But we will see you next year.
Hey, no worries, , I could definetaly see Edmonton rebound next year and finish ahead of Calgary, just so long as Calgary keeps this playoff thing going I won't complain.

Old
04-15-2004, 02:20 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
How about Barto? He gives his weekly roadrunners release...
Hey...while I'm thrilled to see my name mentioned in the same thread as some of our other illustrious posters, I just wanted to clarify that the Roadrunners weekly releases are just copies of what I get in e-mail from the Roadrunners, and I believe it's pretty much all on their web site as well. I just figured most people wouldn't be on the mailing list or check out the web site very often, so I posted those here. Glad people liked them, but I didn't want to let anyone think this was some kind of original content here... I barely have the time to keep up with the threads on the board here, never mind spend hours coming up with that kind of stuff!

I haven't been around TOO long here, but I've definitely enjoyed my time here and love the discussions and thought-provoking threads, as well as Guy's 'inside' look at the Oilers and their prospects. Best damned Oilers board on the Net, as far as I'm concerned!!!

Old
04-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Matts

As much as you think it's tired

multiply that by 10 and you';ll get how peeved I was when some people thought Salo wasn't the biggest problem on the team

and this wasn't me bringing up the topic, this was me defending myself when someone said I was clearly wrong about Oilers management

Last edited by Matts: 04-15-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old
04-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Hey...while I'm thrilled to see my name mentioned in the same thread as some of our other illustrious posters, I just wanted to clarify that the Roadrunners weekly releases are just copies of what I get in e-mail from the Roadrunners, and I believe it's pretty much all on their web site as well. I just figured most people wouldn't be on the mailing list or check out the web site very often, so I posted those here. Glad people liked them, but I didn't want to let anyone think this was some kind of original content here... I barely have the time to keep up with the threads on the board here, never mind spend hours coming up with that kind of stuff!

I haven't been around TOO long here, but I've definitely enjoyed my time here and love the discussions and thought-provoking threads, as well as Guy's 'inside' look at the Oilers and their prospects. Best damned Oilers board on the Net, as far as I'm concerned!!!
Barto's a phony.. a big, fat phony!!! I had to get the Family Guy reference in there. In any event, most of us are too lazy to join the mailing list so it's definitely nice that we can all just come to one website to get info on the Oilers, their prospects and their minor league team.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:53 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

You can't really pinpoint Salo as the reason the Oilers did not make he playoffs. There were other factors such as Comrie not signing, Smyth playing center, Oates not playing well, Hemsky's sophomore slump, Dvorak's early season slump, the Heritage Classic, Reasoner's injury, York's injury. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Sure, Lowe could've done something earlier about our goaltending, but timing was an issue...I don't think any team would have wanted Salo during midseason.

Closed Thread