HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2004 HFBoards Edmonton Posters Awards

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 04:09 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
You can't really pinpoint Salo as the reason the Oilers did not make he playoffs. There were other factors such as Comrie not signing, Smyth playing center, Oates not playing well, Hemsky's sophomore slump, Dvorak's early season slump, the Heritage Classic, Reasoner's injury, York's injury. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Sure, Lowe could've done something earlier about our goaltending, but timing was an issue...I don't think any team would have wanted Salo during midseason.
Yup, I agree with you completely - I defended Tommy more then anybody - and that's simply because you gotta believe and we didn't have nething else to believe in and after the years he had gave us I thought he earned a little faith. But anyways, Like you said, If we get a full season out of Comrie and get 60 points out of him and if Hemsky scores anywhere near the pace he did in the first third for the last two thirds and if Reasoner - who was looking like he was poised to have a big break out year - doesn't miss most of the season, and York's numbers aren't hurt because of Injury this team definately makes up the 3 points it needs to get into the playoffs.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Yup, I agree with you completely - I defended Tommy more then anybody - and that's simply because you gotta believe and we didn't have nething else to believe in and after the years he had gave us I thought he earned a little faith. But anyways, Like you said, If we get a full season out of Comrie and get 60 points out of him and if Hemsky scores anywhere near the pace he did in the first third for the last two thirds and if Reasoner - who was looking like he was poised to have a big break out year - doesn't miss most of the season, and York's numbers aren't hurt because of Injury this team definately makes up the 3 points it needs to get into the playoffs.
Bottom line - if the Ryan Smyth of the last 25 games plays like that for the entire 82 games this team is easily in the playoffs. Sure Salo was below average, but the bottom line is Ryan Smyth failed to show up until the 50 game mark, and for your "leader" that is unacceptable. Smyth has the ability to carry this team and he showed it for about a 20 game stretch, unfortunately that stretch came when the team was 12 points out of the playoffs. 59 points seems pretty good, but considering what he produced early, his stats are extremely flattering.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:49 PM
t0mf00lery

Yeah, I was anticipating another 30 goal, 70 point season from Ryan. In all fairness to him though, what messed up the start of his year was being forced to learn a new position. Especially one that he didn't look at all comfortable playing.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:56 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
Yeah, I was anticipating another 30 goal, 70 point season from Ryan. In all fairness to him though, what messed up the start of his year was being forced to learn a new position. Especially one that he didn't look at all comfortable playing.
Ya, and he played with a broken finger from the start too. I don't know how much it impacted his play ... but we've seen what that has done to other players (Comrie and York).

It was a funny season for Smyth. With the centre thing, and then he made a few of the most boneheaded plays imaginable over a one-month stretch ... and at exactly the worst times too. Its hard enough to forgive a rookie for these things ... but your best veteran player!? Just terrible.

But on the whole I think Smyth is a real reason for optimism here. He became the team's most valuable PKer in the last half of the season. And played a heckuva lot of minutes against the other team's top guns in this time too. And outchanced them most nights. I really didn't think Smyth had it in him, but it looks like he does. And that fact alone changes the whole dynamic of the team IMHO.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:58 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Ya, and he played with a broken finger from the start too. I don't know how much it impacted his play ... but we've seen what that has done to other players (Comrie and York).

It was a funny season for Smyth. With the centre thing, and then he made a few of the most boneheaded plays imaginable over a one-month stretch ... and at exactly the worst times too. Its hard enough to forgive a rookie for these things ... but your best veteran player!? Just terrible.

But on the whole I think Smyth is a real reason for optimism here. He became the team's most valuable PKer in the last half of the season. And played a heckuva lot of minutes against the other team's top guns in this time too. And outchanced them most nights. I really didn't think Smyth had it in him, but it looks like he does. And that fact alone changes the whole dynamic of the team IMHO.
I love the Oilers chances this up-coming season if they can throw Smyth out there with guys like horcoff and Pisani and badly out-score the oppositions top line.

Smyth has really become a good two-way player, and it's a huge asset to the Oilers.

Old
04-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Lowetide

Smyth did indeed have many moments of jaw dropping stupidity, but he has (imo) shown just phenomenal growth as a hockey player. When Weight left, Smyth improved his passing, and dished to guys like Carter. And he's stepped it up from there, showing long stretches of genuine responsibility and an exceptional ability to read and anticipate.

A much better player than the kid who scored 30 a long while back, and still my favourite Oiler despite the brain cramps.

Closed Thread