HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's tough enough to stick it out?

Old
10-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Who's tough enough to stick it out?

Well my friends, the moment of truth may be upon us.

Perhaps this epic fail of a start to the season is all a mirage, and by midseason we will be in the playoff hunt. Joy will once again beset us, and I will once again be able to walk the streets of Raleigh without a cab driver stopping to ask me if the team needs to go into rehab, as one did tonight. But, then again, perhaps all of the glaring signs are true, and we are at the beginning of a nice long rut. An ugly, painful, frustrating rut.

So, my question is, who among you will be sticking it out IF we are in fact due to suck for some time? Knowing the users on this board, my suspicion is most of you will, but let's go ahead and get it down in writing. If we really do go into a nice long rough spell, we can look forward to the usual fun topics like attendance, profitability, and the like, but I want to know who the "die-hards" are who will fade away only to re-emerge in a couple of years when the team is reborn with pom poms and face paint.

I am with this team until either I die, or the team relocates (which could very well result in the former event). Who else can I know I'll have here along the way? Stand up and be counted so we can call you out on it if you later fail in your commitment.

Last edited by Gotta Catch Em Staal: 10-29-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I couldn't leave if I wanted to. I have a compulsion known as Carolina Hurricanes hockey. Any err from that is either wishful thinking or temporary lunacy.

Anybody that adorns the badge of 02-03 and 03-04 ... PLUS the lockout season.... yeah I really don't see anybody that endured all that leaving.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:30 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
The only thing that could get me off is JR doing nothing, and I mean NOTHING, as the deadline approaches if we're still sucking this badly. And I will not EVER hop on the bandwagon for another team as my primary team. I may stop caring as much about the NHL if not hockey as a whole, but I can't abandon the team.

But I think JR does the right thing for a change since it's obvious to everyone around the league but the players themselves that the championship window is prettymuch slammed shut.

That said, I doubt we turn it around either until we get a real coach in here. MO MUST GO.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:37 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I don't post as often as I should, but I'm always around in some capacity.

I went to every home game in 02/03 and 03/04, and I would do it again if I had to. It makes the years like 2006 and this past year that much sweeter.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:16 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I can't just walk away from the Hurricanes. Even if I tried I couldn't stop cheering for the Canes. I may pick another team to watch for but the Canes hold a special place in my heart.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Anybody that adorns the badge of 02-03 and 03-04 ... PLUS the lockout season.... yeah I really don't see anybody that endured all that leaving.
This.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:51 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'll be around. The fact that I've been having issues watching games a lot this year will probably help that. But I have a jersey displayed right by the window of my ground level dorm room, and it ain't coming down unless JR trades away all of our young guys and picks, in which case I might have to turn to buffalo. Or the isles.

I stay loyal to my teams, good or bad. Last sunday I was excited to be able to be able to watch the Panthers game, and I get excited when I can watch the canes.

I'll be sticking it out as much as I can, contingent upon Internet feeds functioning and our playing of NY area teams.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
I'm in for this season, and especially the future, which looks pretty bright: Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman, McBain, Carson, Terry, et al. Then the possibility of another great prospect at this season's end. It sucks seeing your team struggle like this, but hey, what can we do? Suck it up, support our team, and hope for the best in the next few seasons.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:03 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Exactly. We have a lot of guys waiting who should make us pretty good for a long time, and if we continue to suck this year we have a chance at landing a superstar talent like Hall.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Everyone on this board will stick it out... But if we are THIS bad, you can expect really poor attendance numbers...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:19 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
aaahh.... DC had an extra beer last night, feels sad and showing his feminine side.

We won't leave you DC, for as long as you owe me that beer I'll be hanging around. Canes can stink all they want.

Here... perhaps this will make you feel better.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:49 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
I will stand by the Hurricanes until time and times are done. Which of course means that when I die, you can betcherass I'll be haunting the RBC Center and ****ing up the **** of any team I don't like (especially Detroit).

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
WoodGundy

I am a frontrunner

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:09 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Its not us you have to worry about. Its about the fans who face the decision of a canes game or something else.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:14 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

I am in.

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
hyena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
This. Sure, some of the folks that jumped on in '06 will be jumping off but screw them anyway.

Some of the best moments/road trips I had were during that horrible 03 season. Plus, I always look at it like this -- if we suck horribly, there is always a high draft pick at the end of the tunnel. Things will improve.

hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:31 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGundy View Post
I am a frontrunner

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
I am with this team unless they relocate. I am also ready to go through the growing pains of a rebuild. It may be a tough 2-4 years but totally worth it.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I made this thread based on a few comments I have read on the interwebs and a number of things I overheard in the stands last night. It ticked me off, because as someone said above, the reason the times like 02, 06, and 09 are so great is if you've been there the whole time, and it's ridiculous given that we have played 10 games of total crap (after just being in the Conference Final), whereas some fan bases have had to deal with it for nearly a decade.

One of my favorite RBC Center memories was either a 2003 game against Nashville or an early 2004 game against Toronto. I can't remember which one specifically, but we lost both games 2-1 in overtime. It was a sparse crowd, but you knew that most of the people in the building were pretty true fans, and everyone knew what was going to happen. When the overtime goal was scored I swear before the red light even came on there was the simultaneous sound of 10,000 seats slamming up against the backs. I don't think I've ever seen a building clear out so fast.

Anyway, I knew you guys wouldn't let me down, and we could all have a Hallmark moment together.

Now, let's go on a 10 game win streak so someone can bump this thread and we can all laugh about it.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Anton Antoff

I've been a fan of this franchise since the WHA days. Over that span I would call this season "typical".

Anton Antoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:48 AM
GIN ANTONIC

I've been a Caniac since day one. And growing up and living in Toronto and Montreal, that is no easy feat. Stood with them through thick and thin, admittedly there were some years that I glossed over a bit as I wasn't as big of a hockey fan as I am now. I'll admit it was the lockout year that brought be back to the game. I didn't realize how much I missed it until it was gone. After it came back, I was on the hook. I'm a Canes fan through and through but I'm not gonna say that I'll stand by them through anything. I know that sounds bad but hear me out. I can handle a team that stinks it up. I can handle endless losing seasons. But what I can't handle is complacency and laziness by the management or taking the fans for granted. I stick by this team as long as I feel that they are trying their damndest to ice the best product within their means and trying to improve the franchise. I believe that this is one of the biggest responsibilities of the team. I can't respect a team that doesn't respect it's fans enough to do this. I've seen it in Toronto and only now are the fans starting to figure it out. Very different situation but I think the core value holds true. If I feel like the franchise has quit on me and the fans then I have no problem quitting on them. As long as they try their hardest to win and/or move the franchise forward (sometimes theycan be a bit exclusive) then I'll be around for the long haul.

Last edited by GIN ANTONIC: 10-29-2009 at 10:01 AM.
GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
You can count me in. I'm looking forward to seeing some kids play in the future. Some kids who play the game like they have something to prove. If anything, this should be exciting.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Also I'm a dolphins fan who wore a phin jersey every sunday during the 1-15 season. So this aint nothing.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

well...something i said last nigh out of disgust at the team may have been one of the comments that helped prompt this thread. I want to clarify that i am a canes fan through and through, and will never waver from that admission. If they move, well.....ill stay a fan of the team, since im in tx it really wont matter where they move to for me lol. But you know there are a lot of good things about this team, its players, and the organization.....there are just too many inconsistencies. And its annoying. But....i wasnt here for 02-04 and most of 05 so....i havent dealt with this crappy feeling. So im stickin through regardless....and im all for tanking and getting some top pick.....cause whats the point of sucking just enough to get an ok pick/being good enough for it to be middle of the pack.....we need to get another ward/staal caliber pick. Lets go canes! Please? Can we? Either get to the playoffs again, whether it is with this team, lots of new faces, or anything in between or suck it up.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I have a sick dedication to this team and can't turn away no matter how bad it is. I watch every game on TV, and if it's not on TV I'll watch it online, and if it's not online I'll listen to it online. I listen/watch the entirety of games no matter how bad they're getting their ass kicked because, hey, it's hockey.

I'm not going anywhere.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote