HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's tough enough to stick it out?

Old
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

vCash: 500
Hey, I was a Packers fan in the 70s. Anyone remember Jerry Tagge? Enough said.

Besides, we didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, did we? I'm sticking it out.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Besides, we didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, did we?
What?!!! you mean in parallel universe, perhaps?

dmonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
What?!!! you mean in parallel universe, perhaps?
Animal House. Watch it. Love it.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Animal House. Watch it. Love it.
Exactly! See:

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:05 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
ha ha! you got me there.

dmonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Joe McGrath

I've been a fan since birth 24 years ago when they were still the forever .500's. I'm not going anywhere. I will curse loudly and throw just about anyone under the proverbial bus any chance I get though.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
absolutely. let me know when youre coming out. that goes for any of you clowns who come out this way. one of these days ill be hitting raleigh for canes weekend.
Don't forget, you guys can always come to Rochester/Buffalo!

10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Bub's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these ********. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

^^^Welcome to the boards!

Not to change the subject too much, but I have a question for you Hartford guys: What caused you to stick with the team after the move?

I have always felt like if the team were to leave Raleigh for some reason, they would immediately become enemy number one for me (as they are for many fans of the Whale I know). I feel like I might even be turned off to the whole league because of it. Then AmericanSoldier15U said something in this thread that I had never considered before; since he doesn't live in North Carolina, it wouldn't be so big of a deal if they moved since they aren't local to him at the moment anyway. I think for me I would probably still be furious even if I were living somewhere else, and I'm not sure I would have any reason to remain connected to the team aside from perhaps a few players that I was a fan of. But, that did make me stop and think.

Not that I think there is any concern for the team moving, certainly not in the near future at least.

10-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Joe McGrath

I remained with the team after they moved for several reasons that I have to explain to the people who rip me apart(and most who don't watch hockey anymore) in Connecticut.

1. I love hockey to much to stop caring and rooting for a team.
2. I couldn't come up with a team I would rather root for, even though my dad was always a Bruins fan, I hated the Rangers with a passion and the Islanders basically knocked the Whalers out of the playoffs the last season leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.
3. I watched passively the first year in NC without the same intensity I do now because I felt a disconnect with the team especially when they traded Burke and Sanderson. I was rejuvinated when the next year they singed Ron Francis. If he stayed in Pittsburgh there is a strong chance I would have become a Penguins fan.
4. I couldn't blame the team for leaving(even though most Whaler fans do). I won't get into the resasons why they had to leave because that could be a book.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Old Uncle

IN !
For you fair weather fans. May you suffer broken bones as you jump off the bandwagon.
A pox on your houses!!!!!

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:44 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post

Not to change the subject too much, but I have a question for you Hartford guys: What caused you to stick with the team after the move?

I have always felt like if the team were to leave Raleigh for some reason, they would immediately become enemy number one for me (as they are for many fans of the Whale I know). I feel like I might even be turned off to the whole league because of it. Then AmericanSoldier15U said something in this thread that I had never considered before; since he doesn't live in North Carolina, it wouldn't be so big of a deal if they moved since they aren't local to him at the moment anyway. I think for me I would probably still be furious even if I were living somewhere else, and I'm not sure I would have any reason to remain connected to the team aside from perhaps a few players that I was a fan of. But, that did make me stop and think.

Not that I think there is any concern for the team moving, certainly not in the near future at least.

I was living in Ohio when the Browns moved. To this day the Baltimore Ravens are enemy #1. I don't even want to think about the Canes ever leaving Raleigh. But if they do, my allegiance will likely transfer back to the Flyers. I think I'd just be so pissed at PK for breaking my heart that I'd wish doom on him

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I remained with the team after they moved for several reasons that I have to explain to the people who rip me apart(and most who don't watch hockey anymore) in Connecticut.

1. I love hockey to much to stop caring and rooting for a team.
2. I couldn't come up with a team I would rather root for, even though my dad was always a Bruins fan, I hated the Rangers with a passion and the Islanders basically knocked the Whalers out of the playoffs the last season leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.
3. I watched passively the first year in NC without the same intensity I do now because I felt a disconnect with the team especially when they traded Burke and Sanderson. I was rejuvinated when the next year they singed Ron Francis. If he stayed in Pittsburgh there is a strong chance I would have become a Penguins fan.
4. I couldn't blame the team for leaving(even though most Whaler fans do). I won't get into the resasons why they had to leave because that could be a book.
you dont need to explain to me, brutha. im with you on all except no 4. im from wethersfield CT. youre not the only whaler orphan around here. welcome aboard.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:

for me it was tough, i hate pk and by extension struggle with jr as they are in it together. i couldnt root for the bruins - id rather rot in hell. ct has an inferiority complex with new york and when bettman gave the rangers the civic center to the rangers for their minor league team the metaphor was overwhelming. i couldnt root for them. i moved to CO 6 months after the whale left but im supposed to root for roy?! bourque? only since the avs tanked it can i start to become a true fan. i wasnt happy about quebec leaving in the first place, which also tainted me against the avs.

i didnt have a choice, the guys didnt want to move and it was mostly the same team. the sandy/burke trade was one of the worst in team history as joe alluded to and you guys almost lost me permanently there. it took a couple years to get me back full time from there, but i found i hadnt misses much. i think it was the chaisson/bruins playoff series events that brought me all the way back in. i really liked chaisson. the pic in the hartford courant the day after the last game showing him emotionally spent after becoming part of our last playoff attempt got me pretty good.

id still follow them if they left NC, doesnt really matter to me where they play - theyre my team.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I was living in Ohio when the Browns moved. To this day the Baltimore Ravens are enemy #1. I don't even want to think about the Canes ever leaving Raleigh. But if they do, my allegiance will likely transfer back to the Flyers. I think I'd just be so pissed at PK for breaking my heart that I'd wish doom on him
Same here. I grew up in Cleveland, and the Browns were my hometown team. I'd just moved to NC when they moved to Baltimore, and the team I hate the most then changed from the Broncos (late 80's - early 90's playoffs) to the Ravens.

I always loved hockey before the Canes, but never felt I had a team that I could call "mine". When I lived in Cleveland, you had Detroit and Pittsburgh nearby. Both big rivalries. So when it was announced the Canes would be in NC I fully embraced them immediately. If they were ever to move, I don't know that I'd follow them. I might just go back to watching hockey without a favorite team, or a collection of teams I watch instead. Maybe concentrate on minor league or college hockey, now that the latter is on the rise in the region.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:14 PM
WoodGundy

I have no CT roots, but I grew up being tortured by Habs and Bruins fans. I might have been the only Whaler fan in Nova Scotia and somewhere along the way that made me love the Whale even more. I used to barely get Chuck on 1080 am way back before the Internets.

I was a casual fan of all other sports, but a pastionate Whaler fan. I would trade all of the NBA, MLB and NFL titles for just one Cup and I never thought I would see the day. All of the bad hockey that came before it made 06 all the sweeter. In a way, I think being a wings fan must have a numbing effect.

Since the team wasn't ripped from my hometown, my disappointment passed pretty quickly. I never really thought about supporting another team. I'll never like another uni like those later blue whaler jerseys though.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Caniac View Post
Same here. I grew up in Cleveland, and the Browns were my hometown team. I'd just moved to NC when they moved to Baltimore, and the team I hate the most then changed from the Broncos (late 80's - early 90's playoffs) to the Ravens.

I always loved hockey before the Canes, but never felt I had a team that I could call "mine". When I lived in Cleveland, you had Detroit and Pittsburgh nearby. Both big rivalries. So when it was announced the Canes would be in NC I fully embraced them immediately. If they were ever to move, I don't know that I'd follow them. I might just go back to watching hockey without a favorite team, or a collection of teams I watch instead. Maybe concentrate on minor league or college hockey, now that the latter is on the rise in the region.
I know how this man feels. I was born and raised in Cambridge, Ohio. Watching the Indians blow the World Series and the Browns continuing the losing tradition. It's not fun.

I joined the 'Canes bandwagon on April 11th, 1998 when my father (a big Leafs fan) took me to a game at Maple Leaf Gardens. Not because I cared for the' Canes, but just to be an ass and root for the team against him. Best experience of my life and it stuck. When Maple Leafs Garden ended the rein of the Leafs I was lucky enough to win an auction in the summer after they moved. I have the one original Carolina Hurricanes scoreboard pieces that hung in the Gardens (the other one was destroyed when the crew accidentally let it fall and shattered) I contacted Chuck K. and will be delivering it to him on November 6th when the Leafs will be in town, which is also my birthday. Hopefully, they'll make my birthday a pleasant victory. Go 'Canes

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I haven't given up on the team, but I find watching the games a lot less of a priority now that they suck. I've been so busy this semester with a ton of design work that I just can't really justify watching such terrible hockey when I should be doing studying/working on assignments.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Anton Antoff

Quote:
I moved to NC from CT before the team.

Anton Antoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
The One Who Knocks

I saw my first Hurricanes game back in 1997 and have stuck with them ever since. No way in hell am I abandoning them

The One Who Knocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:00 AM
rainband

I've lurked on this board for the better part of 2 years... this topic spurred me to finally register and actually post!

As another Raleigh transplant who grew up in the Cleveland area, I can say that there is a great deal of grace and deferred gratification in cheering for teams that come up short. For the Browns, it was "the drive", "the fumble", and the eventual move to Baltimore. For the Cavaliers (pre-LeBron) it was peaking when Michael Jordan was a one man wrecking crew in the East. For the Indians, it was 0-2 in the Series, including being 3 outs away against Florida and having the best closer in baseball blow the save. But, looking back, I get a lot of mileage out of those stories, and perhaps as much satisfaction as if those teams had won it all.

Of course, at the time, it was agony. But, I consider it part of the development of character. The thing was, each of those teams had been through horrible times before they made it to the conference/league championships, and it made for a much stronger sense of community when a core of players finally gelled, stayed together for a few years, and made a run.

I say all of that to say this. The Hurricanes are nearing the point where a total rebuild will need to occur. But, we know who most of the new pieces will be. Having a down year or two, followed by a re-emergence as a playoff team lead by Staal, Ward, Bowman, Boychuck, Sutter, McBain, Gleason, etc. will probably galvanize the old fans, and perhaps bring in a whole new generation of fans. I look forward to getting to know a new crop of players who will be together for 5 years plus.

I'm not going anywhere. And, like many posters above in this thread, I did plenty of "bargaining" during '06 (I will trade X horrible seasons for this one title)... heck, at the trade deadline I was in favor of JR mortgaging the future to pile up talent for that one run ('06)... having grown up in Cleveland, my teams had never won anything. The enjoyment I got out of that cup run is enough to keep me renewing my 12-game plan as long as my finances permit. And, last year's sequence of miracle finishes and deep run gave me far more enjoyment than I ever could have expected. I was on the road from 1 May through mid June, staying in some pretty horrible places, and those games were the one thing I had to look forward to 3 nights a week. So, to me, even the goodness of the '09 run was worth trading for a sucky year or two. The exhilliration at the end of those game sevens (and being in the house for the buzzer beater) are moments that will keep me coming back for a long, long time.

So yes, in short, all in!

Back to lurk mode!

rainband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

See, I knew there was good reason for this thread. Two people came out and made their first post!

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Awesome to see so many fellow former Clevelanders! Though I think many of us are drawn to the Canes since we're used to being gluttons for punishment. Other than that one glorious season most are so oddly familiar.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
um, hello....whalers fan.....

this is nothing comparison. survive a season where your top players, two of which are underage get thrown in jail for fighting in a bar while your gm gets thrown in jail then betty ford rehab for being an alcoholic drunk driver who gets arrested when he cant find his own driveway.....during the season....while being coached by friggin pierre mcguire who nylander to the minors cause he wasnt "good enough" - who puts up a six point ahl game and demands and gets a trade...made by the alcoholic gm right before getting arrested. mcguire also compared himself to bowman after "out coaching" him in a tie that was the highlight of the season.

this is a cakewalk. im in.
Excellent summation of the low point of the franchise. Trading Ron Francis and Ulf Samualson for two crap players was a close second though. Oh....and five seasons in a row of not making the playoffs, yet only one season of drafting in the top five......that happened twice. Don't forget only making it past the first round of the playoffs once in eighteen years.

For the former Whaler fans, a season like this is nothing.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
Don't forget, you guys can always come to Rochester/Buffalo!
And if you're in New York swing by Albany, you even get to see tomorrow's Canes up close

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote