HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Blues (10/29/09)

Old
10-29-2009, 03:35 AM
andimgone

vCash: 500
Coyotes @ Blues (10/29/09)

5:00 PM (MST)
TV: FSN-AZ (HD)

Game Preview
News: AZ Central | East Valley Tribune
Player Stats: PHO | STL
NHL Standings

Game Coverage Links
ScoresheetGameCenter Event Summary
Play-by-PlayBox ScoreTOI: PHO STL

Season Series
Date Winner Score 1st Star
Oct.153-2 Ed Jovanovski

Team Comparison
 Phoenix St. Louis
Record:
7-4-0 - 14 PTS 5-4-1 - 11 PTS
Conference:
7th 11th
Division:
4th 3rd
Home:
3-2-0 2-3-0
Away:
4-2-0 3-1-1
GF Avg.:
2.64 (21st)2.90 (17th)
GA Avg.:
2.09 (3rd)2.70 (9th)
PP %:
23.1 (11th) 15.8 (26th)
PK %:
76.6 (21st)78.3 (15th)
Last 10 GP:
6-4-0 5-4-1

Rosters
Phoenix
Coyotes

St. Louis
Blues
ForwardsDefense  Forwards Defense
Paul Bissonnette Adrian Aucoin   David Backes Carlo Colaiacovo
Shane Doan Ed Jovanovski   Patrik Berglund Erik Johnson
Vernon Fiddler Sami Lepisto   Brad Boyes Alex Pietrangelo
Martin Hanzal Zbynek Michalek   B.J. Crombeen Roman Polak
Lauri Korpikoski Sean Sullivan   Cam Janssen Tyson Strachan
Robert Lang Jim Vandermeer   Paul Kariya Darryl Sydor
Matthew Lombardi Keith Yandle   Jay McClement Mike Weaver
Peter Mueller   Andy McDonald
Petr Prucha   David Perron
Taylor Pyatt   Yan Stastny Goalies
Scottie Upshall Goalies   Keith Tkachuk Ty Conklin
Radim Vrbata Ilya Bryzgalov   Brad Winchester Chris Mason
Daniel Winnik Jason LaBarbera  

Injured
Phoenix Player Status St. Louis Player Status
Kurt Sauer Day-to-Day  T.J. OshieInjured Reserve
    Alexander SteenInjured Reserve
    Barret JackmanInjured Reserve
    D.J. King Injured Reserve

andimgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:43 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Another beautiful & perfectly timed GDT, thank you sir.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:50 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Another beautiful & perfectly timed GDT, thank you sir.
Seconded. I will also re-iterate my desire to see more posts from JC that aren't just kick-ass GDTs. Finally, I hope to see similar lines to the previous game.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:33 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
St. Louis is missing some key guys up front and on the back end. Hopefully the Yotes can take advantage of that and get another winning streak going.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
St. Louis is missing some key guys up front and on the back end. Hopefully the Yotes can take advantage of that and get another winning streak going.
Or at least a points streak. We took the first first game against the Blues at home, in OT. Maybe they take their home game, but maybe in OT.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Or at least a points streak. We took the first first game against the Blues at home, in OT. Maybe they take their home game, but maybe in OT.
Both teams played last night, both teams won. It's a bonus for both teams when playing back to back games that neither team is at a disadvantage of being tired and having to play a rested team.
Both teams are travelling to St Louis for the game.
I'm confident the Yotes will win. Bryz will be in good form, the line combinations from last night will work even better tonight. Go Yotes!

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Well I feel better. Thanks for doing the homework.

Old
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Well I feel better. Thanks for doing the homework.
Just think how good you will feel when the Yotes are 8 and 4 after tonight's win!

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
MattBennett
HFB Partner

starting goalies: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/6328/sta...ctober-29-2009
blues' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...es-team-lineup
coyotes' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...es-team-lineup
betting analysis: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/6357/pic...-hawks-round-3

MattBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBennett View Post
Okay, this time I am going to go ahead and guess that those Phoenix forward lines are not even close.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:43 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I'm hoping the lines look like this tonight....

Mueller-Hanzal-Doan
Prucha-Lang-Vrbata
Upshall-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik

Jovo-Michalek
Vandermeer-Aucoin
Yandle-Lepisto

Bryz in net

If Korpikoski doesn't get it going soon, I wouldn't mind calling up Porter or Boedker to take his spot. I've always been a fan of his, and I feel like we haven't even seen anything close to the player he could be. He looks so passive out there, really frustrating to watch. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind seeing our best line(Upshall-Lombardi-Prucha) at the end of the season put back together. Boedker and Porter IMO would look good playing with Lang and Vrbata, especially Porter.

I'm going out on a limb, and say Mueller pots his first tonight.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:56 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Cmon Coyotes we got a big win last night, lets keep it going.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
indczn

twitter:
phoenixcoyotes: Upshall out tonight. Coach Tippett is sending a message for unnecessary penalties. Pang joins me and Walshie for 1st intermission.-Strader

can't say i didn't see that coming. its about time, I don't think hes been doing much, hard work or not. Too many turnovers, too many penalties, not enough production.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I'm hoping the lines look like this tonight....

Mueller-Hanzal-Doan
Prucha-Lang-Vrbata
Upshall-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik

Jovo-Michalek
Vandermeer-Aucoin
Yandle-Lepisto

Bryz in net

If Korpikoski doesn't get it going soon, I wouldn't mind calling up Porter or Boedker to take his spot. I've always been a fan of his, and I feel like we haven't even seen anything close to the player he could be. He looks so passive out there, really frustrating to watch. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind seeing our best line(Upshall-Lombardi-Prucha) at the end of the season put back together. Boedker and Porter IMO would look good playing with Lang and Vrbata, especially Porter.

I'm going out on a limb, and say Mueller pots his first tonight.
Bryz is confirmed

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2009020168&navid=DL|PHX|home

Agreed on Korpikoski. He needs a shot on a line centered by Lombardi.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't know if that's your website, or what, but it's always wrong. Always. I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just you post those links in every GDT thread, and at least for Phoenix(I don't know about the other teams), the information is incorrect. I mean, I understand why it's difficult to get that information for the Coyotes(there is no such thing as a local media in Phoenix), and I do appreciate the effort(I do. Again, I'm not trying to be a dick), but really, no fans know what the line-up is going to look like until Dave Tippett says so.

Old
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
TJinAZ

Now it the time

Blues have injuries and we have momentum... time to stick with the program and get our two points.

TJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
twitter:
phoenixcoyotes: Upshall out tonight. Coach Tippett is sending a message for unnecessary penalties. Pang joins me and Walshie for 1st intermission.-Strader

can't say i didn't see that coming. its about time, I don't think hes been doing much, hard work or not. Too many turnovers, too many penalties, not enough production.
I think that retaliation penalty was the reasoning behind this. I don't necessarily have a problem with the hard working ones. Sucks for Upshall, and sucks that he is going to likely be replaced by Bissonette, rather than Boedker or Porter. Oh well, the Blues have some chippy players it's not like we're playing Detroit.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I think that retaliation penalty was the reasoning behind this. I don't necessarily have a problem with the hard working ones. Sucks for Upshall, and sucks that he is going to likely be replaced by Bissonette, rather than Boedker or Porter. Oh well, the Blues have some chippy players it's not like we're playing Detroit.
I think Korpikoski takes his slot on the Lombo line, and Biz will get minimal goon minutes again tonight.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
twitter:

This actually kind of bothers me a little bit. Yeah, Upshall took a careless penalty last night that resulted in a double minor(like he has any control over whether the guy bleeds, or not). Yeah, he's got way too many penalty minutes. If you just look at the numbers, I understand. I just feel like maybe we should be taking note of some of these penalties Upshall has taken. I know for a fact that I thought two of the three against the Kings on opening night were BS. One was undeniable, but I remember thinking the other two were garbage and I was disappointed that Tippett chose to bench him as punishment. The penalty against Buffalo was idiotic. No doubt. The stupidest thing Upshall has done as a Coyote. Even that was total ********, though. That's one of the worst calls I've ever seen. After the whistle Upshall(like an idiot) came in and hit Kaleta in the face. He was given TWO minor penalties. One for roughing and one for "high sticking" on the same effing play. That's utterly ridiculous. I've never seen anything like that. That should have been two or five. Four is just retarded. I don't really remeber either of the minor penalties he took against Boston or Detroit, but I'm pretty sure he got a goal in each game to make up for his penalty.

So, out of the three in LA, I'd only blame him for one. Out of the two in Buffalo I'd give him one. Out of the three last night, I'd give him two(a high stick is a high stick, drawing blood is pure chance, and totally out of his control). That, right there, cuts his PIMs down from twenty to twelve. That cuts fourty percent right off. That's me assuming that he deserved the other three penalties against Detroit, Boston, and the other one last night(I can't remember any of those calls specifically).

Still, I suppose that's at least one penalty in five of eleven games. Which is too many. So many that he deserves to be benched? I don't think so. He's one of the hardest workers on the team. I just feel like Tippett ought to be taking mental notes on whether or not Upshall deserved some of these calls. It looks worse on paper than it actually is. It's still bad, but it's not that bad. This probably has as much to do with the fact that he's in the middle of a four game scoreless streak, as much as anything.

Old
10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
XX
... Waiting

The refs do not like Upshall for whatever reason. Recall the call in favor of Maltby and non-call in the Wing game when Scottie got slashed pretty hard. There's more to it than just random bad calls. Flyer fans swear up and down that it's one of his calling cards, though, so Tippet should be rightly concerned and try to reign him in.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I think Korpikoski takes his slot on the Lombo line...
So Korpikoski-Lombardi-????

Kevin Porter should be on flight to St. Louis.

Old
10-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Piokinen

Sullivan got reassigned to SA. Nobody called up.
So there won´t be a start for him in tonights game as the defensive pairings will be the same as yesterday.

Piokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
indczn

That many stick penalties is careless, hard work or not.

I have a bigger problem with his turnovers, seems like i notice him coughing up the puck in the neutral zone more than others, or failing to clear. (sure it might be selection bias at this point). Either way, hes not playing well, in my opinion. Hes not generating much, and hes taking penalties.

The powerplay hasn't done much when hes been out, and hes not being used on the PK. He just isn't producing, on top of what i perceive has been sloppy play. Hard work or not, im not happy with his play, and its not just related to penalties.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
GalenYote

I think the issue with Scottie is not that he works hard, its almost too hard. He seems to have so much drive to the puck that it gets a bit wild. I dont think the refs like the wild Scott much. Many of the calls against him have been borderline, but that is the problem. The PP seems to be the only way other teams can score, so if we can limit thier chances the better we will be. If he can keep his same drive but clean up his skating to avoid the borderline calls then he will be a force to be reconed with.

GalenYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
PhoPhan

In addition to taking too many penalties (which is a big deal even if they aren't deserved), one of Upshall's bigger drawbacks is that he tries to do too much on his own sometimes. It often looks like (and sometimes even is) simple hard work, but he doesn't use his linemates as well as he should.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote