HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Blues (10/29/09)

Old
10-29-2009, 10:16 PM
kingbrutis

vCash: 500
I know it's a little early but Bryz has to be the front runner for Russia for the Olympics. I was hoping he would get some rest. He seems to be so intense that he tires himself out. Hopefully JL will get some more games.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Alamo

Bryz looked good for the most part tonight. There was a few chances where he seemed... whats the word im looking for... "Awkwardly" positioned but the defense stepped up and helped him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
I know it's a little early but Bryz has to be the front runner for Russia for the Olympics. I was hoping he would get some rest. He seems to be so intense that he tires himself out. Hopefully JL will get some more games.
Yeah, Tippet likes to Ride one goalie for most the season, but I think he is going to learn fast that bryz isn't ready for that just yet, no matter how good he played in his last game.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Labarbera played last night, so it was a no-brainer Bryz would get the call tonight. Bryz will probably play against the Ducks as well, but I won't be surprised if Labarbera plays against the Kings.

Also, that'd be nice to see both goalies beat their former teams.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR17 View Post
I cant understand why we couldnt burry one with the EN, but other than that, amazing game played by the boys.
Ahhhhhhhh, SHUT UPPPPPPPPPP!

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Alamo

HHOOOOLLLLYYYYY JJJUUUUMMMPPPINNNN'

Sorry, I had to. I only got the St.Louis feed tonight =(

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
HHOOOOLLLLYYYYY JJJUUUUMMMPPPINNNN'

Sorry, I had to. I only got the St.Louis feed tonight =(
You can tell Panger still has a soft spot for our Yotes. I wonder if he will ever come back...I miss him.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
skr0oface

Just watched the Highlights on www.nhl.com
Pyatt Fiddler Winnik line is the only line to make the tape.
I see Vrbata had 7 shots. Wow
Mueller didn't post 1 shot with is 10 minutes of ice time.
How did the power play look?

skr0oface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:19 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Pyatt continues the big tease. Nice goal but I've learned my lesson to not believe that those flashes are signs of better things to come.
That is the nice thing about being able to play him on the third or fourth line. If he can play with Fiddler and Winnik and they can play a good defensive game, pin teams down and bring some good shooting or moves now and then, I'd say they are doing their job. They sure have looked good the last two games. I am not sure you can call them a fourth line.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

reading through the first 2 pages of this thread, it is painfully obvious none of us know what we are talking about and should leave all hockey decisions to GMDM & CDT.

I sure hope Upshall suits up and Mueller takes his place on the bench next game....at least Upshall's penalties are a result of passionate play and not a pathetic work ethic.

Pyatt now has the same number of goals as Tanguay at about 1/5 the price...and he's valuable on the 4th line. Winnik the same # of goals as the Fridge. Seeing the Tampa highlights makes me pray that Turris can do what Stamkos is doing within 2 years.

Ryan Malone appears to be earning his contract...as is Jovo.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:32 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
reading through the first 2 pages of this thread, it is painfully obvious none of us know what we are talking about and should leave all hockey decisions to GMDM & CDT.
Really? I don't take anyone on here for a future coach, but "painfully obvious none of us know what we are talking about" seems obtuse.

I am still interested in seeing what others think of line combinations for the next game after watching this one.

Quote:
I sure hope Upshall suits up and Mueller takes his place on the bench next game....at least Upshall's penalties are a result of passionate play and not a pathetic work ethic.
Mueller looked like he was moving his feet tonight. I see no reason to scratch him. I would like to see him stay on the same line.

How about...
Mueller - Hanzal - Doan
Prucha - Lang - Vrbata
Pyatt - Fiddler - Winnik
Upshall - Lombardi - Korpikoski
?

Old
10-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
No, the reason they were stupid penalties is because they were at the absolute wrong time and, in some cases, just undisciplined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Yeah, he helped sell it, but it still looked like an easy hooking call
without the fall.
It wasn't a hooking call. Perron grabbed a hold of his stick blade with his arm and wouldn't let go until the refs called it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
No Upshall tonight...Tippett is definitely running the show.
Upshall earned his trip to the press box.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Lombardi is clearly hurt. That's no secret. It's probably why Upshall's production has suffered so much.

Bissonnette looked pretty darn good. Upshall is better, but I really like Bissonnette.

Every defenseman was impressive.

Bryzgalov might be taking that next step.

Korpikoski was finally visible, and in a good way.

Pyatt has had a couple of good games in a row.

Winnik gets it. I really don't think he'll ever forget, either. A keeper, for sure.

Hanzal looks good with very talented linemates. (Yakko is on to something, here)

Lang could be waking up.

Fiddler looks great. All initial smack talk must be officially rescinded.

Tippett is the man.

We should finally have our lines figured out...

Doan-Hanzal-Mueller
Upshall-Lombardi-Korpikoski (get well soon Lombo!)
Prucha-Lang-Vrbata
Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik

...I still don't have an answer to the Sauer question. We have seven defensemen that have clearly earned the right to play in every game.

...that's about all I can recall/repeat as hammered as I am. I can't wait for responsibility to wean me off of the bottle.

Great game. A lot of fun to watch. The Blues were very good. Good effort by all.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
XX
... Waiting

Lepisto sucks, though. For every dazzling move he makes in the offensive zone he makes a mistake in his own zone. He routinely backs off and plays ultra conservative rather than knowing when to hold the line or pinch. It's better than Special Ed, to be sure, but for a supposed "offensive" Dman he sure doesn't know how to manage gaps or the line. It's not as if it is a Tippet directive, either, as Yandle routinely goes for it whereas Lepisto is more than comfortable with simply giving the puck to the other team.

I enjoy his little random spurts of skill though. It's like Enstrom-lite.

Sauer is the man. I would gladly trade out Lepisto for Sauer. They've all earned their spots, true, but Sauer is just a machine at clearing out the front of the net and containing the other teams skilled guys. We're going to need him if we expect to make the playoffs.

Lombardi needs to go on the IR and Porter get a look-see if it's anything remotely serious.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:54 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Lepisto sucks, though. For every dazzling move he makes in the offensive zone he makes a mistake in his own zone. He routinely backs off and plays ultra conservative rather than knowing when to hold the line or pinch. It's better than Special Ed, to be sure, but for a supposed "offensive" Dman he sure doesn't know how to manage gaps or the line. It's not as if it is a Tippet directive, either, as Yandle routinely goes for it whereas Lepisto is more than comfortable with simply giving the puck to the other team.

I enjoy his little random spurts of skill though. It's like Enstrom-lite.
I disagree. He makes mistakes a rookie would make because he's a rookie, but I find that he makes dazzling moves in all three zones. I think some of his pinches have been extremely impressive, and he has held the line quite well at times. You need to remember that he's a rookie. He's a little bit older(turned twenty five last week), and has quite a bit of pro experience(a few years in the FEL, and two years worth of AHL/NHL), but he's new to the NHL(only twenty five games played), and the NHL is just on a totally different level than any other league.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I think Lepisto has been a great pick up and played really well. To be honest, and I've been a big Jovo critic, but he's playing exceptional right now.

His dive yesterday for a veteran at his age was inspiring and I thought energized the team.

I do agree with RT, Lombardi must be hurt. I do wish that Tippett would see that Mueller belongs with Doan & Lang. Those three I believe could by dynamite together if left alone for 10-15 games to get some chemistry working.

...Mueller is just way too tentative at the moment, which means he's questioning what he's doing, or worse, he's thinking too much on the ice and not anticipating the play, which is a bad thing for our hockey club, we need some infusion of confidence here soon.

Hey RT, Mueller has played like crap since you chose the "Monkey" as your avatar, do you remember what your avatar was when he was playing well. Yes, I've resorted to "black magic", "karma"...whatever you want to call it to get our most talented offensive forward some goal scoring pixie dust.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Post game article:

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2009/10/30...is-developing/

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't think the monkey is as old as it seems. I initially had a Nate Hagemo Team USA avatar for a long time. That was probably before we even drafted him. I've had Ballard, Weller, Bryzgalov, Boynton, and Doan before. I had one bashing Jovo. I've had strung out, Soulfly, and a couple of Deftones avatars, too. I think before the monkey I had Deftones, but that was already into last season, I believe. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Mueller's suckiness predates the monkey. It would've been a nice quick fix.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Mueller, Lepisto, Korpedo, and Biz are the only players on the team that have not scored a goal yet this year, excluding Sauer who is injured and Boedker who is in AHL. Biz & Lepisto have a good excuse because Biz gets very limited ice time and is not expected to score, and Lepisto playing on defense and might only get 1 goal all season. Korpedo I would put in a similar category for an excuse, plus he scored the winner in the shootout for us. I'm not trying to put pressure on Mueller, but when you see that he's one of the few people on this team who has yet to pot one, it really shows you how cold he is right now. Going back to last season Mueller has 1 goal in 36 games, he's scored once since Jan 20, 2009 to put it in perspective. Maybe they should have sent him to San Antonio earlier in the season when they had the chance. He has 1-8-9 points in his last 36 games.

Like others, I hope that Upshall is back in favor of Mueller sitting the next game. Whatever is going through Mueller's head needs to be ridden, and while he has played better with Doan I think we probably need Biz against Anaheim and Korpedo adds a little something I like on this team -- maybe they can keep that line intact with Lombardi & Biz.

Last edited by Guest: 10-30-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
...Korpedo adds a little something I like on this team -- maybe they can keep that line intact with Lombardi & Biz.
I think that's a "shelter Lombardi because he's hurt" line. Limits his minutes.

I agree, though, that Bissonnette should play against Anaheim. They've got some loose cannons, there. Is Artyukhin's suspension up? God he's a big, dirty *******. He's got what, two seasons worth NHL games, and something like four suspensions? Parros loves to run around, too, and is very, very big guy. Mike Brown could end up leading the league in fighting majors. We all know Nick Boynton, and Brookbank likes to drop 'em too. Anaheim is a big tough team, even without Pronger. This is the team that made me want us to go out and get a guy like Bissonnette.

Also, I think it'd be ridiculous to sit Upshall another game.

It comes down to Mueller or Korpikoski. I think Mueller's confidence is his biggest problem, right now. He's been able to keep up with Doan and Hanzal much better. It might be helpful to get him off of the ice and see the game from another vantage point, but I think it'd be much more helpful for him to luck out and knock in a goal. He'll get more opportunity to do that on the ice with Doan and Hanzal than from up in the press box.

That leaves Korpikoski. Sucks for him. He had his best game, last night.

Last edited by rt: 10-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old
10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
Mueller, Lepisto, Korpedo, and Biz are the only players on the team that have not scored a goal yet this year,
Freaking Todd Fedoruk has 2 goals. If that doesn't embarrass Mueller I don't know will.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:22 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That leaves Korpikoski. Sucks for him. He had his best game, last night.
Keep K., take Mueller out. Pyatt and Mueller took 2 lazy penalties in the 1st that could have cost us big time. Pyatt played a really solid rest of the game and scored, he doesn't deserve punishment.

Tippett should be consistent with the Upshall treatment and bench Le Bum.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post

Yeah, Tippet likes to Ride one goalie for most the season, but I think he is going to learn fast that bryz isn't ready for that just yet, no matter how good he played in his last game.
He's been with us for 2 seasons. if he's not ready for it then we should be looking for a goalie that is. It's ridiculous he gets (Mentally)fatigued(GMDM words) after 9 games at the start of a season when there are goalies out there that have started just as many games as him and still deliver. As I mentioned before in the NYR thread I think, I've become increasingly disappointed with him as a starter. I think it's Bryz that's going to learn fast if he isn't up to it he's going to find himself being a back up again.

Last edited by ower: 10-30-2009 at 06:40 PM.
ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
It's ridiculous he gets (Mentally)fatigued(GMDM words) after 9 games at the start of a season when there are goalies out there that have started just as many games as him and still deliver.
Who? I'd like to know. I think your expectations are too high. Goalies, especially those trying to play the Allaire system are bound to get mentally fatigued. Yet through 10 games, including the Rangers game, Bryzgalov has a 1.77 GAA and a .929 SV% and a 7-3 record. He has some of the best stats thus far in the NHL. You can say he has a good defensive team to help those stats, and he does, but in a few of those wins he has been absolutely brilliant including his last couple of wins.

Quote:
As I mentioned before in the NYR thread I think, I've become increasingly disappointed with him as a starter. I think it's Bryz that's going to learn if he isn't up to it he's going to find himself being a back up again.
Goalies have bad games. They all do. Most of them have a bad game pretty regularly. None of them are 100% consistent, not Martin Brodeur, not Roberto Luongo. I don't know if Bryzgalov is a top 5 goalie in the NHL, but he is easily a starter and probably in the top 15. If he somehow does manage to keep playing the way he has played so far this season people will start talking about him as a top 5 guy. People are already talking about him as breaking out, but the press (see my quote from Fischler in our Rangers GDT or watch the NHL Live episode where he was gushing and his limited exposure is mainly the Rangers game, among other press Bryzgalov is getting) usually does that when players get hot. To say you are disappointed with him so far this season though I think lacks perspective for the position.

Old
10-30-2009, 07:17 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Yes, I'm very much aware all goalies have bad games and aren't always a 100% consistent. My disappointment with him stems from watching him for the past 2 seasons, not from the start of this season. I hope I'm wrong and he's keep it up but a few good games this season isn't going to turn my overall opinion of him around.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:15 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
Yes, I'm very much aware all goalies have bad games and aren't always a 100% consistent. My disappointment with him stems from watching him for the past 2 seasons, not from the start of this season. I hope I'm wrong and he's keep it up but a few good games this season isn't going to turn my overall opinion of him around.
I understand that. It's early in the season and he is off to a hot start. Nobody knows if he can keep it up. I just don't understand calling him out during a remarkable hot streak that includes one mediocre game.