HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Blues (10/29/09)

Old
10-30-2009, 08:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I understand that. It's early in the season and he is off to a hot start. Nobody knows if he can keep it up. I just don't understand calling him out during a remarkable hot streak that includes one mediocre game.
Three shutouts in eight games. Also, looking at the numbers he's put up as a member of the Phoenix Coyotes, it's quite impressive. We're talking about the Coyotes, here.

130gp, 59W, 56L, 11OTL, 9SO, 2.55GAA, .914 SV% (better than his numbers with the powerhouse Ducks)

That's playing for a team that picked third overall, eighth overall, and was picked to be in the lottery, this year. That's coming in as an inexperienced young back-up, and learning, on the job, how to be a starter. From the whining, complaining, non-communicative, out of position, overly emotional, inconsistant, flopper he was early on to the guy Burke is molding him into. Much more level and mature. That progress started even before Burke, honestly.

Like everything else about this team, he's a work in progress. Like most other aspects of this team, there is a ton of potential there.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Bryz doesn't concern me much, but I think he's a guy that needs a solid backup that can come in and play some games. Tellqvist was apparently not that as he was easily relieved from the position and probably had accepted to being a career backup in the NHL. Labarbara is still gunning for a starting position I think, and he's played some games the past couple of years. I think Labby saw Bryz as a goalie that is still easing into his role which gives him more opportunities.

Frankly, it's the same goalie question that every team who doesn't have a franchise goalie (Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Miller, Fleury, etc.) asks themselves...who is available that is an upgrade? There aren't many goalies in the NHL right now I would take over Bryz. You can say Lehtonen, Mason, Price, whoever you want, but no one out there is a huge upgrade on Bryz at this point. Certainly when you figure the age and contract into the equation. This is what teams like Philly have been searching for years and years, not saying Bryz, but an upgrade in goal.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:02 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Three shutouts in eight games. Also, looking at the numbers he's put up as a member of the Phoenix Coyotes, it's quite impressive. We're talking about the Coyotes, here.

130gp, 59W, 56L, 11OTL, 9SO, 2.55GAA, .914 SV% (better than his numbers with the powerhouse Ducks)

That's playing for a team that picked third overall, eighth overall, and was picked to be in the lottery, this year. That's coming in as an inexperienced young back-up, and learning, on the job, how to be a starter. From the whining, complaining, non-communicative, out of position, overly emotional, inconsistant, flopper he was early on to the guy Burke is molding him into. Much more level and mature. That progress started even before Burke, honestly.
When you put it that way, it is even more remarkable. His overall numbers, playing on a bad team, are really, really good. He has also corrected his bad habits in a hurry under Burke. Even in his bad games, he is keeping square and looking like he is generally keeping to the system. I'm sure it helps that he has been exposed to the system, but it is still impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
Bryz doesn't concern me much, but I think he's a guy that needs a solid backup that can come in and play some games. Tellqvist was apparently not that as he was easily relieved from the position and probably had accepted to being a career backup in the NHL. Labarbara is still gunning for a starting position I think, and he's played some games the past couple of years. I think Labby saw Bryz as a goalie that is still easing into his role which gives him more opportunities.
I completely agree with this. Bryzgalov has shown to work a bit harder and keep his focus a little better with a good back up. He is also not one of those rare 70+ game starter kind of goalies.

Quote:
Frankly, it's the same goalie question that every team who doesn't have a franchise goalie (Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Miller, Fleury, etc.) asks themselves...who is available that is an upgrade? There aren't many goalies in the NHL right now I would take over Bryz. You can say Lehtonen, Mason, Price, whoever you want, but no one out there is a huge upgrade on Bryz at this point. Certainly when you figure the age and contract into the equation. This is what teams like Philly have been searching for years and years, not saying Bryz, but an upgrade in goal.
I think you did a better job here providing perspective than I did. I have read and heard a lot of people talk about starters, and then really describe the far more rare franchise player in net and not just a starter.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:

Like everything else about this team, he's a work in progress. Like most other aspects of this team, there is a ton of potential there.
A ton of potential for sure, but I was looking at Bryz recently and he's 29 now. No more youth.. .now is his time to shine (which is the the whole reason he asked to be put on waivers and joined the Coyotes in the first place). He's also now third in the list of GP for Coyotes goalies, behind only Burke and Khabibulin and he's done a great job.

Tippett's "win-now" mentality is perfect for him, they're both not interested in what happens 5 years from now or even 3 years.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It's very rare that a goaltender does anything until they're twenty five or twenty six(only the handful of elite exceptions). I don't look at the age of a goalie the same way I do a skater. I think you have to knock it back a couple of years.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
It's very rare that a goaltender does anything until they're twenty five or twenty six(only the handful of elite exceptions). I don't look at the age of a goalie the same way I do a skater. I think you have to knock it back a couple of years.
Marc Andre Fluery is a good example but time will still tell if he is over choking late in the game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:06 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Marc Andre Fluery is a good example but time will still tell if he is over choking late in the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fleury was the number 1 pick in quite arguably the most deep draft in NHL history. The guy imo is the most talented goalie in the NHL, and he's getting better every year at learning the game and not trying to do to much. I think he silenced the critics calling him a choker by winning that shiny trophy this past spring.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 03:41 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Marc Andre Fluery is a good example
...of the exception.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote