HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Larsson

Old
10-30-2009, 11:39 AM
BRHL Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to BRHL Hockey
Daniel Larsson

Hey Red Wing fans.

After watching the game last night, and the obvious problems the Wings have had in net, do you think that Daniel Larsson will get the call up and a chance to show what he can do anytime soon?

It seemed that though his periphial stats weren't as good last year as Howard, his record was, and from people I have talked to, he was the better goalie.

This year he and McCollum have split time, but Larsson has clearly been the better goalie. At 23 years old, he has developed well since the Wings drafted him, what are the chances he sees some time this year? And in general, what is Wings fans opinions of him?

BRHL Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Whats his #'s like in the AHL.

One would have to assume Holland wont call him up, b/c of the "hes not ready" excuse.

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Elite09

I think after watching last night, 1st concern would be the defence, not in goal.

Yes Howard made some mistakes but had no support at all from dman. You can blame poor d coverage on 3 of the 5 goals. This seems to be a common theme this year but everyone is quick to jump on the goalie.

We have been lucky the last 15 years to have a top team in the league. Things are different this year as so many players have left and some have aged.

Elite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRHL Hockey View Post
Hey Red Wing fans.

After watching the game last night, and the obvious problems the Wings have had in net, do you think that Daniel Larsson will get the call up and a chance to show what he can do anytime soon?

It seemed that though his periphial stats weren't as good last year as Howard, his record was, and from people I have talked to, he was the better goalie.

This year he and McCollum have split time, but Larsson has clearly been the better goalie. At 23 years old, he has developed well since the Wings drafted him, what are the chances he sees some time this year? And in general, what is Wings fans opinions of him?
In the first half of last season, Larsson was the better goalie. However, he faded badly. Howard was better when you consider the season as a whole.

Anyway, Larsson won't help this team, and neither will McCollum. We covered up for bad defense last season because we could out score anybody. But the loss of 100+ goals of production has exposed a glaring problem on the blue line. The talent is there, the D just has to start playing better. If the D doesn't improve, anyone short of Luongo is going to look bad with the sloppy effort he'd get in front of him.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
In the first half of last season, Larsson was the better goalie. However, he faded badly. Howard was better when you consider the season as a whole.

Anyway, Larsson won't help this team, and neither will McCollum. We covered up for bad defense last season because we could out score anybody. But the loss of 100+ goals of production has exposed a glaring problem on the blue line. The talent is there, the D just has to start playing better.
They need to play better for sure, there's no debate there. However, the defense is not nearly as bad as the stats indicate. I understand the Wings have 20m+ in defense and there is a bit of a sacrifice there in goaltending, but the goaltending has made the defense look 5x worse than they actually are playing.

I don't care if the Wings have 40m wrapped up in defense, if their goalies are giving up 2-3 soft goals every few games there's nothing that can be done other than only allowing 15 shots a game.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
They need to play better for sure, there's no debate there. However, the defense is not nearly as bad as the stats indicate. I understand the Wings have 20m+ in defense and there is a bit of a sacrifice there in goaltending, but the goaltending has made the defense look 5x worse than they actually are playing.

I don't care if the Wings have 40m wrapped up in defense, if their goalies are giving up 2-3 soft goals every few games there's nothing that can be done other than only allowing 15 shots a game.
I agree.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

Holland's philosophy is that he can go cheap in net and make up for it with a top notch defense. It isn't working. So we agree that both the defense and the goaltending need to improve, but I feel more of the failure right now is attributable to the D.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Filppula
Jurks

McCollum 31 saves tonight, just 1 GA. Repeat after me people, he is the real deal! I think we could have a Larsson/McCollum future tandem in net.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote