HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray Update - Nov. 5 (things are looking up!)

Old
10-31-2009, 01:03 PM
driveway

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
you know, largly I agree. I don't think Iginla should be kicked out of the league, but I can't stand defending him totally either.

It was not an accident. I don't know what goggles you have on to see that. he clearly had speed and was right in Souray's numbers as they went into the board.

how in any ones wildest dreams was that not a hit from behind?

It is hockey, people get hurt, Iginla was playing hard, but went to far.
i dunno, watching the replay it looks like Iginla is slowing up right as Souray is falling. In particular you can see his left skate digging into the ice pretty hard on the first slow-mo replay. I doubt he would have carried through with a hit had Souray not fallen. Also, he goes pretty hard into the boards himself. Kinda figure you have to give a guy like Iginla the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameht View Post
dantencer

Quinn says Souray has digressed. He woke up this morning, had a headache, and went back to bed. Still a ways away to say the least.
Gilbert and Grebeshkov really need to step it up.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Maybe the NHL should worry about these kinds of injuries instead of what coaches say after a game or stick infractions.

**** the NHL is bush league.
Yes. The league has to do a better job of protecting its players. It's frustrating to watch that kind of garbage.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Yes. The league has to do a better job of protecting its players. It's frustrating to watch that kind of garbage.
+1
When Pisani was activated from LTIR, Souray was put on LTIR.

11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
OK we get it. You have a hate on for Souray for some reason.
A player is soft if they get H1N1 because their immune system is weak......sounds stupid doesnt it. Same goes for getting your head rammed into the boards...you never see it coming
Mr Muffin finds new ways to get injured and what gets me is the free ride this board is given Mr Muffin man after last season--when they were lynching him after the first season.

As I said when we signed him--if he stays healthy it is a great deal--but if he doesn't--bad deal.

I don't have a hate on for Souray

I have a hate on for bad contracts the oilers have given to players who were not worth it.

Souray is an injury prone player who the oilers signed after he had a break out year--first time he stayed healthy in how long. Mr Muffin will come back--only to get injured again. Make book on it.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Mr Muffin finds new ways to get injured and what gets me is the free ride this board is given Mr Muffin man after last season--when they were lynching him after the first season.

As I said when we signed him--if he stays healthy it is a great deal--but if he doesn't--bad deal.

I have a hate on for bad contracts the oilers have given to players who were not worth it.

Souray is an injury prone player who the oilers signed after he had a break out year--first time he stayed healthy in how long. Mr Muffin will come back--only to get injured again. Make book on it.
Since when does a concussion make Souray soft. Getting thrown into the boards does not make Souray a muffin man. Enough already.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
+1
When Pisani was activated from LTIR, Souray was put on LTIR.
This was a cap move. Otherwise, the Oilers would have had to start waiving bodies.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
This was a cap move. Otherwise, the Oilers would have had to start waiving bodies.
I don't think so. Souray had a setback and isn't even close to returning. Souray's concussion is a lot more serious than people think.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
I don't think so. Souray had a setback and isn't even close to returning. Souray's concussion is a lot more serious than people think.
It was still a cap move though. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but with Pisani coming off LTIR, if they didn't put Souray on LTIR the Oilers would be over the cap. According to nhlnumbers.com we had $553k in cap space but since Pisani has been reactivated that adds $2.5m to the cap so someone else had to go on LTIR to keep us under the cap.

I agree Souray isn't close to returning.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...409/story.html

To get Pisani on the roster, the Oilers moved defenceman Sheldon Souray to the long-term injured reserve list.

Last edited by LateNightOilerFan: 11-01-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add link
LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
It was still a cap move though. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but with Pisani coming off LTIR, if they didn't put Souray on LTIR the Oilers would be over the cap. According to nhlnumbers.com we had $553k in cap space but since Pisani has been reactivated that adds $2.5m to the cap so someone else had to go on LTIR to keep us under the cap.

I agree Souray isn't close to returning.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...409/story.html

To get Pisani on the roster, the Oilers moved defenceman Sheldon Souray to the long-term injured reserve list.
The salary cap doesn't work like that... It's more like 2.2 million is reactivated. And Souray's cap hit will be shrinking for every game he misses on LTIR, something to the tune of 66K per game.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

When you put a player on LTIR you no longer have their cap on the books. I believe it does work like that.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
When you put a player on LTIR you no longer have their cap on the books. I believe it does work like that.
This is not true. The cap hit stays. But you can exceed the cap to replace the salary for the time the player is on the LTIR if needed. The key is that it does not save cap space for leter use.

generally speaking, if you don't need cap relief there is no advantage to placing a player on LTIR. In fact it is better to not have the player on LTIR. This isi why the Oilers did not do this with Souray until Pisani came off. It is also why I said this was a cap move. It really does not tell us anything about Souray's condition as it is retroactive to the first game he missed and as such he could come off any time now.

That said, I don't expect to see him any time soon.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Get well soon Shelly... we need you bro.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Mr V

Quote:

Absolutely. What a pathetic play by Souray. He should never have allowed Iginla to use his stick to take his skates out from under him.

Souray should have gone after that puck with both feet off the ice.

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:11 PM
One Trick Pony*

Perfect time to trade for Horton. O'Sullivan and Nilsson should be shown the door.

I think the Oilers need to spread out the scoring more onto three different units for the time being. We're too easy to shut down with Penner and Hemsky both on the top-line, and the second line being comprised of the kids. I could understand the losses to the shutout losses to the Canucks (Luongo) and Avalanche(Anderson), but last night was simply because Quinn wasn't able to get any of our best offensive players away from Chara.

Penner-O'Sullivan-Brule
Comrie-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cogliano-Gagner-Pisani
Moreau-Jacques-Nilsson

This way, our three biggest offensive game-breakers (Penner, Hemsky, Gagner) are seperated on three different units. This is what Calgary has been doing and it has proven to be successful for them.

Last edited by One Trick Pony*: 11-01-2009 at 02:16 PM.
One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
This is not true. The cap hit stays. But you can exceed the cap to replace the salary for the time the player is on the LTIR if needed. The key is that it does not save cap space for leter use.

generally speaking, if you don't need cap relief there is no advantage to placing a player on LTIR. In fact it is better to not have the player on LTIR. This isi why the Oilers did not do this with Souray until Pisani came off. It is also why I said this was a cap move. It really does not tell us anything about Souray's condition as it is retroactive to the first game he missed and as such he could come off any time now.

That said, I don't expect to see him any time soon.
So whats the difference?

Old
11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

This is related to Souray but not the injury part. With both Souray and Staios injured who are the 2 alternate captains that are replacing them? Or are Horcoff and Hemsky the alternates both home and on the road?

Old
11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
This is related to Souray but not the injury part. With both Souray and Staios injured who are the 2 alternate captains that are replacing them? Or are Horcoff and Hemsky the alternates both home and on the road?
I think Penner has an A. Don't know about the other guy. Maybe Pisani now that he's back.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:43 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Absolutely. What a pathetic play by Souray. He should never have allowed Iginla to use his stick to take his skates out from under him.

Souray should have gone after that puck with both feet off the ice.
Leading up to the oilers signing mr muffin man--how many boards asked the fallowing question "Should our team try to sign Mr Muffin?" Nearly all had the same response. No, he can not stay healthy. My prediction is he will be back in middle of march when the oilers are in 15th in the conference and about 26th overall--he will come back and the oilers will end up drafting between 10-15th overall again

who here wants to make a bet on it?

Old
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Leading up to the oilers signing mr muffin man--how many boards asked the fallowing question "Should our team try to sign Mr Muffin?" Nearly all had the same response. No, he can not stay healthy. My prediction is he will be back in middle of march when the oilers are in 15th in the conference and about 26th overall--he will come back and the oilers will end up drafting between 10-15th overall again

who here wants to make a bet on it?
Seriously, stop being ridiculous. Souray has a history of wrist problems, what's hurt? His head from a careless play by Iginla. It's a freak play that could have happened to anyone. Stop looking for something that isn't there. And for the record, "Mr. Can't stay healthy" had 4 nearly completely healthy seasons before he came to Edmonton

63gp in 2003/04, 39gp during the lockout in Sweden in 2004/05, 75gp in 2005/06 and 81gp in 2006/07.

Again, stop being ridiculous.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Seriously, stop being ridiculous. Souray has a history of wrist problems, what's hurt? His head from a careless play by Iginla. It's a freak play that could have happened to anyone. Stop looking for something that isn't there.
I don't Souray has ever had a concussion. I looked on the player profile on Souray on TSN and there wasn't anything mentioned about a concussion.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
I don't Souray has ever had a concussion. I looked on the player profile on Souray on TSN and there wasn't anything mentioned about a concussion.
Montreal he missed a few games with what was described as an upper body injury, previously he mas missed games with wrist, shoulder and leg injuries

Old
11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Yeah you gotta cut it out with that weak ass "Mr.Muffin' Man" ****. Dude would cave your face in, limp wristed or not. It was a freak play, careless on Iginla's part but it was unintentional. Historically Souray does have some injury issues but I would not necessarily agree that he is one of those typically hardcore prone to them, ala Martin Havlat or Marian Gaborik.

Quite frankly I'm glad he's getting well rested and healing up. Concussions ain't no joke. I think with Visnovsky coming back we can at the very least tread water and be a team with a playoff spot until he - Sheldon - does come back fully recovered. He will be fresher and be able to go harder, longer into the season.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Mr V

Quote:
Montreal he missed a few games with what was described as an upper body injury, previously he mas missed games with wrist, shoulder and leg injuries
And if he's stopped at a red light and another car ploughs into the back of his, will you be claiming that he is accident prone as well?

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Oil Gauge

This Mr Muffin man stuff is a complete joke.

You call someone soft/injury prone when they are injured on harmless plays. Not when they are lucky yo be alive after a dangerous play.

I bet you there isn't a player in the league that would not have received a concussion on that play. Does that make the whole NHL injury prone?

Souray plays the game hard, kind of like Smyth always did with us, this puts them in dangerous positions and just by odds alone they are more prone to being injured, not because they are soft, but because they play hard.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote