HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray Update - Nov. 5 (things are looking up!)

Old
11-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
This Mr Muffin man stuff is a complete joke.

You call someone soft/injury prone when they are injured on harmless plays. Not when they are lucky yo be alive after a dangerous play.

I bet you there isn't a player in the league that would not have received a concussion on that play. Does that make the whole NHL injury prone?

Souray plays the game hard, kind of like Smyth always did with us, this puts them in dangerous positions and just by odds alone they are more prone to being injured, not because they are soft, but because they play hard.
+1000
You could also ask if Booth from the Panthers is injury prone because he has a concussion by being boarded in the boards and taken off the ice on a stretcher. What about the other players recieving concussions by being driven into the boards. I agree with you that the "Mr. Muffin Man" garbage is a joke.

11-02-2009, 07:03 AM
orcatown

You watch the replay carefully and you can see the following. And this is clearly apparent from any honest viewing of the video.

First Iginla puts his stick into Souray's skates and trips him. Really a dirty play in itself.

Then he brings his knee forward to drive Souray's head into the boards

Then he fakes injury to try to make it look like an innocent collision in which both players got hurt. I never see him at all go to Souray and see how he is.

Then you can see him suppressing a giggle in the penalty box and breaking out into an open grin.

I used to have some respect for Iginla but not after this. Can you imagine what Cherry would say if this was overseas player.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 07:53 AM
hemskysuncle

First of all...the idea about mr muffin is dumb and replying to it just invokes moregarbage, so i say ignore it...it is not a decent contribution to the conversation/thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
Perfect time to trade for Horton. O'Sullivan and Nilsson should be shown the door.

I think the Oilers need to spread out the scoring more onto three different units for the time being. We're too easy to shut down with Penner and Hemsky both on the top-line, and the second line being comprised of the kids. I could understand the losses to the shutout losses to the Canucks (Luongo) and Avalanche(Anderson), but last night was simply because Quinn wasn't able to get any of our best offensive players away from Chara.

Penner-O'Sullivan-Brule
Comrie-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cogliano-Gagner-Pisani
Moreau-Jacques-Nilsson

This way, our three biggest offensive game-breakers (Penner, Hemsky, Gagner) are seperated on three different units. This is what Calgary has been doing and it has proven to be successful for them.
RE: your post...just a small observation first...why did you say "show O'Sullivan the door and then you put him on the first line

but i digress...or is it regress??

I agree that spreading out the scoring is a good idea as we need more weapons on more lines...however, i disagree with splitting up penner and hemsky. Quinn did that against Boston because the only defenseman that can actually handle Penner (Chara) was matched against him on every shift and Quinn wanted to see if he could manage something against another pairing, so he put Hemmer on another line. However, in 28 out of 29 situations, that does not make any sense, as they are a dominant line whether they are the only line scoring or not. They are dominant because they play well TOGETHER...break them up and they are not as effective. Once Comrie comes back, there will be a secondary line...but Horcoff cannot hold that responsibility, so its not going to happen unfortunately until then. Be patient through these trying times and things will get back to normal

As for Souray...damn this sucks!I mean i can't castrate Iginla for the play because it was not obviously malicious, but more negligent than anything..>however the after-effects could have a huge impact on Souray's whole career...not just these few weeks, and that is the most discouraging...i don't suggest it seriously...but, when you consider the legal penalty for gross negligence, could this theoretically become Steve Moore v.2 if the worst feared outcome becomes reality?

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 08:02 AM
gpearson1968

vCash: 450
Anything new on Shelly ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968

gpearson1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
You watch the replay carefully and you can see the following. And this is clearly apparent from any honest viewing of the video.

First Iginla puts his stick into Souray's skates and trips him. Really a dirty play in itself.

Then he brings his knee forward to drive Souray's head into the boards

Then he fakes injury to try to make it look like an innocent collision in which both players got hurt. I never see him at all go to Souray and see how he is.

Then you can see him suppressing a giggle in the penalty box and breaking out into an open grin.

I used to have some respect for Iginla but not after this. Can you imagine what Cherry would say if this was overseas player.
Wow. You truly live in your own fantasy world.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Wow. You truly live in your own fantasy world.
Iginla isn't as classy as you'd like to believe but whatever. The fact that he starts striking Stortini after being decked AND AFTER the refs are holding him [storts] contradict the "classiest" adjective that has so often been applied to him

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:50 PM
MerryJ99

Tencer just twittered that Souray will skate later on his own........I am hoping this is a good sign!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
Tencer just twittered that Souray will skate later on his own........I am hoping this is a good sign!
Excellent! Some good news finally.

shortside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
0ilerman
The King

Good to hear...still a while away though

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
RKD

Excellent news. Even though he's on his own, skating is the biggest step toward coming back. Hopefully he shows no ill-effects after today. That's the next big part.

11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Stauffer mentioned that he might travel on the trip too. Won't play, but just being around the team should help. They'll have an actual leader to listen to.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 448
This is fantastic news.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
surshot*

Next time Souray is in the lineup and we play Calgary i hope Souray gets a chance to one punch Iginla into oblivion. Something tells me Souray is sitting at home stewing and pissed off. He has not made a comment to the media since and i think its for a good reason he is pissed with Iginla and has nothing nice to say. Iginla has some payback coming and it would not surprise me to see him miss some games at the hands of Souray.

I know that its not the most PC thing to say but i feel that souray is not buying the accident bit that Iginla was spewing. Iginla can beat up old man Moreau but he has no chance with Souray with a grudge to grind. I predict a broken orbital bone in Iginla's future.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Next time Souray is in the lineup and we play Calgary i hope Souray gets a chance to one punch Iginla into oblivion. Something tells me Souray is sitting at home stewing and pissed off. He has not made a comment to the media since and i think its for a good reason he is pissed with Iginla and has nothing nice to say. Iginla has some payback coming and it would not surprise me to see him miss some games at the hands of Souray.

I know that its not the most PC thing to say but i feel that souray is not buying the accident bit that Iginla was spewing. Iginla can beat up old man Moreau but he has no chance with Souray with a grudge to grind. I predict a broken orbital bone in Iginla's future.
That would be fun n all but we need Sheldon on the ice, not serving a suspension for fulfilling a vendetta. The nhl will come down on him like a house of bricks after bertuzzigate.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
troutman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Iginla isn't as classy as you'd like to believe but whatever. The fact that he starts striking Stortini after being decked AND AFTER the refs are holding him [storts] contradict the "classiest" adjective that has so often been applied to him
Yeah! Iginla is from Edmonton after all.

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:33 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Boy, that is some good news I'm surprised that he's starting to skate so soon I hope they don't rush him, concussions are nothing to mess with.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That would be fun n all but we need Sheldon on the ice, not serving a suspension for fulfilling a vendetta. The nhl will come down on him like a house of bricks after bertuzzigate.
Who said it would be from behind and cheap. I am just talking about a good old fashion one punch coming Iginla's way that may or may not break his orbital bone. Thats all its very legal for Souray to do this. Unless the NHL bans fighting by the time they actually get to be on the same ice. Never once heard of a player getting suspended for breaking an orbital bone during a fight. Between headaches i am sure Souray dreams about getting back at Iginla. Souray is not exactly the nicest guy in the NHL and if you try to end his career the way Iginla tried you better be ready for some nasty things to happen that would be totally within the rules.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Who said it would be from behind and cheap. I am just talking about a good old fashion one punch coming Iginla's way that may or may not break his orbital bone. Thats all its very legal for Souray to do this. Unless the NHL bans fighting by the time they actually get to be on the same ice. Never once heard of a player getting suspended for breaking an orbital bone during a fight. Between headaches i am sure Souray dreams about getting back at Iginla. Souray is not exactly the nicest guy in the NHL and if you try to end his career the way Iginla tried you better be ready for some nasty things to happen that would be totally within the rules.
Within the rules I am in total agreement. Something tells me it won't happen though. Good old fashioned Oiler - Flame donnybrook would be more suiting though. Let's keep it clean.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Harrison

Quote:
How did it turn out? Was Tencer talking about today or tomorrow? great news either way.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Hasman

Iggy can't score so he's gotta help Flames win the NW by injuring players.. HAHA

Hasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 9047
Quote:
Bertuzzigate wouldn't have happened if Naslund went after Moore himself.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:37 PM
mactforcoach

[QUOTE=surshot;21958750]Next time Souray is in the lineup and we play Calgary i hope Souray gets a chance to one punch Iginla into oblivion. Something tells me Souray is sitting at home stewing and pissed off. He has not made a comment to the media since and i think its for a good reason he is pissed with Iginla and has nothing nice to say. Iginla has some payback coming and it would not surprise me to see him miss some games at the hands of Souray.

Then skate over and box Sutter's Dumbo Ears! I still maintain he was the reason for the hit in the first place.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Methinks as well it is pretty unlikely Souray does anything stupid.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

More good news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tencer twitter
Sheldon Souray just walked by me in the Oilers room with workout gear on...good sign!

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
MerryJ99

Just saw that! Awesome news.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote