HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Brewer Returns Tonite

Old
10-29-2009, 03:20 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Eric Brewer Returns Tonite

Strickland says Brewer is paired with Pietrangelo tonite.

Best wishes to the Captain.

Let the slamming commence.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 800
TRADE HIM!!!!

Anyway, I'm watching and interview with him now. Seems like he's dropped a few pounds.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

ToNIGHT is going to be a good game.
Lets take this to the GDT.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Dr Turk

Was he booed?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:48 AM
execwrite

Sounds like both the goals against both went right through Brewer.

Oh well.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:16 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Sounds like both the goals against both went right through Brewer.

Oh well.
The first one wasn't Brewer's fault, it was just unfortunate. Watch it on the Blues' site. A harmless shot deflected off Brewer's stick and confused Conklin. Can't exactly blame Conklin, either, but I'm confident Mason would have saved it.

The second one was an odd-man rush because all three Blues forwards went deep and Backes fell down. So you can't put it all on Brewer. But he did let the pass get through to the open man, so he gets some blame. It was a weird play. He probably should have played the guy who entered the zone with the puck much closer, forcing him to make a move around him or thread a pass or shot under more pressure.
That was another play that Conklin didn't read well, either.

All in all, Brewer played solid, especially for his first hockey game in almost a year. The Blues just looked like they had the flu for most of the game.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

He and Peitrangelo, -2 each in a 2-0 loss. Obviously not all on him, but that's not what you can consider a good game. Don't know why Murray would pair the greenest D-man with the rustiest. I'd probably have thrown EJ with Brew and Sydor with Pietrangelo...but whatever.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:01 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Can Pietrangelo be sent down to juniors? If the best he can do is -2 while paired with Brewer maybe he shouldnt be in the NHL.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Can Pietrangelo be sent down to juniors? If the best he can do is -2 while paired with Brewer maybe he shouldnt be in the NHL.
You DO realize Brewer was -2 as well right?

Last edited by WalterSobchak: 10-30-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: unneeded comments removed
Old
10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
vablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
TRADE HIM!!!!

Anyway, I'm watching and interview with him now. Seems like he's dropped a few pounds.
Oh well he plays like he is invisible. Dump this guy for Tanguay.

vablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
He and Peitrangelo, -2 each in a 2-0 loss. Obviously not all on him, but that's not what you can consider a good game. Don't know why Murray would pair the greenest D-man with the rustiest. I'd probably have thrown EJ with Brew and Sydor with Pietrangelo...but whatever.
That's not why they lost. And at least one of those goals had nothing to do with Pietrangelo. I'd argue he had little culpability in the second one as well. But even if it was solely his fault, that first goal is a really good example of why plus/minus is ****ing stupid.

I thought Pietrangelo actually played really well. Very patient, makes stick-checks I haven't seen made in a Blues uniform since MacInnis, and had some great moments creating transition. He seriously might be a better passer than EJ.

The game was not even close to being decided by one player or one defensive pairing that wasn't bad at all. Almost the entire team was underwhelming. It seems like they come out and play well for a while, then the other team gets one good rush, scores, and the Blues can't keep it together after that.

They need to simplify their game, draw penalties, and get their powerplay going. I really think it's that simple.

I'd like to see Backes with Perron and McClement.

Old
10-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
That's not why they lost. And at least one of those goals had nothing to do with Pietrangelo. I'd argue he had little culpability in the second one as well. But even if it was solely his fault, that first goal is a really good example of why plus/minus is ****ing stupid.

I thought Pietrangelo actually played really well. Very patient, makes stick-checks I haven't seen made in a Blues uniform since MacInnis, and had some great moments creating transition. He seriously might be a better passer than EJ.

The game was not even close to being decided by one player or one defensive pairing that wasn't bad at all. Almost the entire team was underwhelming. It seems like they come out and play well for a while, then the other team gets one good rush, scores, and the Blues can't keep it together after that.

They need to simplify their game, draw penalties, and get their powerplay going. I really think it's that simple.

I'd like to see Backes with Perron and McClement.
McClement could post 45+ points on that line.
When he's with offensive players, he can put up points.
He just needs the chance to be put on a scoring line, consistently.

Old
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
McClement could post 45+ points on that line.
When he's with offensive players, he can put up points.
He just needs the chance to be put on a scoring line, consistently.
Completely agree.

Old
10-30-2009, 06:26 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

McClement has a problem with folding as soon as there's any pressure on him to perform offensively. If he's just potting a few goals as a third or fourth line center, he's great, but let's not thrust him into a role that he may be uncomfortable in, while he's doing very well in the one he's already in.

Brewer was ok last night. We can't expect a great game from him after missing so much time.

I think he'll be traded at the deadline if EJ and Pie continue to outperform the rest of our D, and there aren't a ton of injuries. Think of what we'll be looking at next season: EJ, Pie, Cole, Rundblad, Junland, Cola, Polak, Jackman, Brewer. Somebody has to go, and based solely on salary I'd say Brewer's gone. Gives us some room with the young guys and maybe a bigger UFA if we'll be letting Kariya walk.

Old
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
execwrite

Quote:
McClement has a problem with folding as soon as there's any pressure on him to perform offensively. If he's just potting a few goals as a third or fourth line center, he's great, but let's not thrust him into a role that he may be uncomfortable in, while he's doing very well in the one he's already in.

Brewer was ok last night. We can't expect a great game from him after missing so much time.

I think he'll be traded at the deadline if EJ and Pie continue to outperform the rest of our D, and there aren't a ton of injuries. Think of what we'll be looking at next season: EJ, Pie, Cole, Rundblad, Junland, Cola, Polak, Jackman, Brewer. Somebody has to go, and based solely on salary I'd say Brewer's gone. Gives us some room with the young guys and maybe a bigger UFA if we'll be letting Kariya walk.
By all accounts, Rundblad is several years away from the NHL.

Cole may spend a year in Peoria.

Old
10-30-2009, 10:03 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
By all accounts, Rundblad is several years away from the NHL.

Cole may spend a year in Peoria.
I think Cole will be ready, but I also don't think Brewer will be traded.

Rundblad isn't as NHL-ready as EJ or even Pietrangelo, but I would say "a few" rather than "several" years away.

Old
10-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
I think Cole will be ready, but I also don't think Brewer will be traded.

Rundblad isn't as NHL-ready as EJ or even Pietrangelo, but I would say "a few" rather than "several" years away.
I'd expect Rundblad to play 2009-10 and 2010-11 in The SEL, and come to N.A. in Summer 2011. He might be able to make The Blues out of camp then. But based on his play in the defensive zone thus far in The SEL, I'd say he'll probably start in Peoria. I'd guess that he wouldn't be where Pietrangelo is now before Spring 2012, or, possibly, the start of the 2012-13 season. I hope I'm wrong, and it is sooner. But, he's got a lot of strengthening/bulking up to do, and much improvement neded on his defensive game.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Cole MIGHT need a year in Peoria.
Rundy wont be ready for a while.
But you've got to think of Junland.
He will be ready, without a doubt in my mind, next season. He's offensively ready and this season is going to help him tremendously on the defensive side as well. He'll be ready next year in my opinion.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:07 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Cole MIGHT need a year in Peoria.
Rundy wont be ready for a while.
But you've got to think of Junland.
He will be ready, without a doubt in my mind, next season. He's offensively ready and this season is going to help him tremendously on the defensive side as well. He'll be ready next year in my opinion.
I definitely agree on Junland. The Blues have to find a spot for him next season.

You can't bury talented kids in the AHL.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:11 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
McClement has a problem with folding as soon as there's any pressure on him to perform offensively.
Can you give me an example of this?

Old
10-31-2009, 03:38 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Can you give me an example of this?
The 06-07 seaason? He struggled the entire season to put up points with Stempniak, Backes, and other offensive-minded players. He had a strong offensive rookie season. As I recall, the VAST majority of blues fans were disappointed with his production until he was finally moved to a defensive role. Am I just imagining this? I'm not saying he's not skilled, just that someone else would probably be more consistent.

I'd still rather JM in an offensive role over Winchester right now.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:50 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Indeed, I was off about Rundblad. Still, quite the surplus coming into next season.

Brewer is valuable as a time eating defenseman, and I'm fairly certain that we won't need him in that role after this season. I don't think we should be paying almost 4.5M on a second pairing d-man. If EJ and Pie falter, keep him by all means, just not where I think he'll end up on our roster.

I was under the impression that Cole, short of that surplus on D and barring any injury, would certainly make the team next season.

Still, it'll probably depend hugely at where we are in the conference further on into the season.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
The 06-07 seaason? He struggled the entire season to put up points with Stempniak, Backes, and other offensive-minded players. He had a strong offensive rookie season. As I recall, the VAST majority of blues fans were disappointed with his production until he was finally moved to a defensive role. Am I just imagining this? I'm not saying he's not skilled, just that someone else would probably be more consistent.

This might be true but the whole team was rookie school as far as talent level. Its a different team now and Jay has matured quite a lot since then.

This shouldn't read that I think Jay will put up big numbers.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:

Backes only played 49 games that year. And that was Stempniak's ooooh, HUGE 27 goal season. McClement got 36 points with under 14 minutes of icetime per game. He was third on the team in assists.

If you think 10 minutes per game of even strength time and 30 seconds per game of powerplay time is offensive pressure or responsibility, I don't know what to tell you.
And he always had a defensive role. He had about two minutes of PK time per game in his rookie year, and that climbed to two and a half minutes in 06-07.

His rookie season was 27 points in 67 games. That's .40 points per game. The following season, the one in question, he had 36 points in 81 games. That's .44 points per game (almost identical to Backes' .46 that season). So I don't know what you remember about either of those two years, but it doesn't match my memory or the record.

If you look at goals scored and shift charts from 06-07, you discover (and, hopefully, remember), that Stempniak played the first half of the season on higher lines and powerplay units. Mostly with Weight, Guerin, and Tkachuk.

When Backes was called up, he played with Tkachuk for quite a while.

McClement, Stempniak, and Backes didn't start regularly playing together until mid January-February of that season.

McClement was shuffled throughout the lineup bigtime. He ended up getting a good chunk of his points down the stretch with Backes and Stempniak, but he had lots of duty with Mayers. I'll also note that only a quarter of his assists were secondary assists, so it wasn't like he got hanger points from other guys' work.

Old
10-31-2009, 05:17 PM
execwrite

The D next year - maybe?

Brewer Pie
EJ Junland
Polak Jackman

Solid.