HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Eric Brewer Returns Tonite

Old
10-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Backes only played 49 games that year. And that was Stempniak's ooooh, HUGE 27 goal season. McClement got 36 points with under 14 minutes of icetime per game. He was third on the team in assists.

If you think 10 minutes per game of even strength time and 30 seconds per game of powerplay time is offensive pressure or responsibility, I don't know what to tell you.
And he always had a defensive role. He had about two minutes of PK time per game in his rookie year, and that climbed to two and a half minutes in 06-07.

His rookie season was 27 points in 67 games. That's .40 points per game. The following season, the one in question, he had 36 points in 81 games. That's .44 points per game (almost identical to Backes' .46 that season). So I don't know what you remember about either of those two years, but it doesn't match my memory or the record.

If you look at goals scored and shift charts from 06-07, you discover (and, hopefully, remember), that Stempniak played the first half of the season on higher lines and powerplay units. Mostly with Weight, Guerin, and Tkachuk.

When Backes was called up, he played with Tkachuk for quite a while.

McClement, Stempniak, and Backes didn't start regularly playing together until mid January-February of that season.

McClement was shuffled throughout the lineup bigtime. He ended up getting a good chunk of his points down the stretch with Backes and Stempniak, but he had lots of duty with Mayers. I'll also note that only a quarter of his assists were secondary assists, so it wasn't like he got hanger points from other guys' work.
Jay is a good set up man. On a third line (2-way line) (expected to contribute on offence), with skilled wingers, he could contribute 15-20 goals and 40-50 points. He DOES have skill. I don't think he'dcrumble under pressure of being asked to score. He's a solid professional forward now. And he's still a better player than most people think.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Stang

Figured I would bump this thread up with some lovely statistics. A friend decided to argue that Brewer has been 'successful' here in St Louis so another friend looked up some of the numbers...and here they are:
  • GP: 219
  • G: 14
  • A: 52
  • Pts: 66
  • PIM: 229
  • +/-: -66

Note: I haven't verified the numbers so I'm assuming he can do simple math

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:43 AM
STL Fan

I for one have not been a Brewer fan, seems like he's always on the ice for other teams goals and doesn't get the job done. With that said, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the role that he was put into. He's not a no. 1 defenseman, I think he will be a serviceable 5 or 6 Defenseman. I wasn't really fond of the contract extension that seems to overpay him, nor was I happy with him gaining the "C".

With EJ starting to take the No.1 role paired with Cola ( I believe) last night and Jackman and Polak as the 2nd pairing. Pietro hoping to creep up the depth chart. Brewer there as well, I'm ok with that moving forward this year. Though I hate to break up Polak and Jackman, it might be better for pairings if Brewer and Pietro are not on the ice together. Again, just my opinion.

STL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Figured I would bump this thread up with some lovely statistics. A friend decided to argue that Brewer has been 'successful' here in St Louis so another friend looked up some of the numbers...and here they are:
  • GP: 219
  • G: 14
  • A: 52
  • Pts: 66
  • PIM: 229
  • +/-: -66

Note: I haven't verified the numbers so I'm assuming he can do simple math
I don't think there's been anything 'successful' about the Eric Brewer era in St. Louis. The team has pretty much performed miserably since he's arrived, and enjoyed the majority of its success while he's been sidelined. He's a decent defenseman, but he's far from irreplaceable and is not all missed when he's not in the lineup. I really don't know how anyone could argue that he's had any form of 'success' since arriving to St. Louis.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote