HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I just had the weirdest experience!

Old
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
I just had the weirdest experience!

So I recorded last nights game and meant to watch it but didn't get around to it. I'm still going to watch it but until then I have to avoid sports sites, AZCentral, certain threads here, etc. So anyway, I was about to surf over to CNN.com to read today's news. Right before I did so I briefly thought to myself "is their a chance I'd see the Coyotes score?" Then I chuckled at how silly that notion was and cracked "unless someone is dead, they are not going to mention the Coyotes". Then I clicked on my CNN.com bookmark and bam, this was on the front page:
Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
XX
Lots of Try

I wondered aloud how someone can die to Coyotes, then saw how small she is. Still, they must have some mighty big Coyotes up in Canada. The ones around here are like giant house cats, build wise.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
PhoPhan

I don't care how big you are. You're not going to survive an attack from a pack of Coyotes.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I don't care how big you are. You're not going to survive an attack from a pack of Coyotes.
Seeing as how you live in Philadelphia, let me explain. Coyotes are extremely skittish and small. They in no way resemble a wolf. In fact, you're a lot better off stumbling upon a pack of Coyotes than you are say... Javelinas. Especially if there are young. I don't know if your version is larger, but ours are damn small. The packs I've seen are also small, usually less than a dozen, and run on human contact.

It's a freak accident for a reason. It's not as if Coyotes are known for being aggressive towards humans. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Old
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
PhoPhan

I'm not saying this is a regular occurrence anywhere. But these are wild animals. This girl died because Coyotes attacked her, not because she was small. A determined bunch of Lhasa Apsos could take down a large man if they wanted to.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:30 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
I'm not saying this is a regular occurrence anywhere. But these are wild animals. This girl died because Coyotes attacked her, not because she was small.
There are only two recorded fatalities from Coyote attacks. In 1981 in Glendale, California, a coyote attacked toddler Kelly Keen, who was rescued by her father, but died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.[40][42] In October 2009, Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old folk singer on tour, died from injuries sustained in an attack by a pair of coyotes while hiking in the Cape Breton Highlands, Nova Scotia, Canada.[43]

Quote:
A determined bunch of Lhasa Apsos could take down a large man if they wanted to.
Really Pho? Really? Lhasas? My dog is a 40-50lb Schnauser/Lhasa poodle mix. Very built out, for his size. Mid size dog. Unless we're talking an absolute tidal wave of Lhasa Apsos to where it becomes some sort of desperate stand ala How many fifth graders can you take on then your example is a bit.. extreme.

It's just a freak accident. Even so, if you ARE attacked, you stand more than a fighting chance, as evidenced by only 2 people ever really dieing, one of which was a toddler. They're not the bravest little animals. Javelinas... on the other hand... not so friendly.

Old
10-29-2009, 05:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Javelinas... on the other hand... not so friendly.
Blind as bats, though, thankfully.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Indeed. Those buggers are mean and tough.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Of course Canadian coyotes are bigger.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Indeed. Those buggers are mean and tough.
While hiking in Sedona, my ex and myself found ourselves right in the middle of a bunch of them, babies amongst them, too. They were on either side of the path we were on. Too busy rooting around for food to smell us, I guess. Either way, I turned around to tell her to book it, and all I saw was a cloud of dust and her in the distance. She had just left me to die. HAHA! I don't even have life insurance.

It was a popular trail that had sections along a golf course, so perhaps they were just used to seeing humans, and recognized us as neither a threat nor a food source. Hence the apparent indifference. I know I must've reeked of hung-over/drunk, too.

Old
10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Look who decided to show his face, and so conveniently just to gloat about how great Canada is. Save your propaganda. Traitor.

Iz a yoke. I yoking.

Old
10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Look who decided to show his face, and so conveniently just to gloat about how great Canada is. Save your propaganda. Traitor.

Iz a yoke. I yoking.
No, not gloating. I actually hit a coyote with my pickup last weekend. Stone cold dead but I didn't see it and it sounded like I'd hit a moose.

For those of you unawares...moose...

Old
10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Maybe this is a sign of what the Coyotes are going to do to a certain Canadian team in the playoffs.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:53 PM
hao chi

Quote:
No, not gloating. I actually hit a coyote with my pickup last weekend. Stone cold dead but I didn't see it and it sounded like I'd hit a moose.

For those of you unawares...moose...

I do believe that puts you at fault for the Coyotes losing to the Kings.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
I thought Judge Baum made sure there would be no Coyotes in Canada. Now Bettman.....that's a different story.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
But quite tasty none the less.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Javelinas are nasty buggers. Used to run into them during high school desert parties. They aren't the friendliest of creatures to be around and can get quite big.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Seeing as how you live in Philadelphia, let me explain. Coyotes are extremely skittish and small. They in no way resemble a wolf. In fact, you're a lot better off stumbling upon a pack of Coyotes than you are say... Javelinas. Especially if there are young. I don't know if your version is larger, but ours are damn small. The packs I've seen are also small, usually less than a dozen, and run on human contact.

It's a freak accident for a reason. It's not as if Coyotes are known for being aggressive towards humans. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Maybe thats been also reflective in the teams play for the past 7 years, a metaphor. Perhaps they picked the wrong animal to name the team after. Should have been a more ubiquitous name like the Phoenix - Sparx, or Phoenix - Jam or the Phoenix - Mucury

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 790
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Maybe thats been also reflective in the teams play for the past 7 years, a metaphor. Perhaps they picked the wrong animal to name the team after. Should have been a more ubiquitous name like the Phoenix - Sparx, or Phoenix - Jam or the Phoenix - Mucury
Or we could piss off the rest of the Hockey community and name them the Arizona Javelina's

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Or we could piss off the rest of the Hockey community and name them the Arizona Javelina's
People have a hard enough time spelling Phoenix, much less pronouncing Javelina. There's already the Iowa Chops (well... was) so there's a precedent. The name is fine. Making it the Arizona Coyotes won't do anything, silly.

I'm for changing the colors to the black and red theme, and going with the paw print or moon logo. I'd like to see that when the new owner takes over. Low on the list of priorities, though.

Just win damnit.

Old
10-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Chootoi

This actually happened not too far from me. A bunch of the locals believe that the coyotes in the area have been breeding with wolves for awhile which would definitely explain the unusual aggression.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Well I disagree

Coyotes have almost no natural predators to speak of. With the glaring exception of Canadian gazillionaires.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
I do believe that puts you at fault for the Coyotes losing to the Kings.
Actually the Yotes are 1-0 on days when I post a picture of a moose.

Old
10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 790
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Actually the Yotes are 1-0 on days when I post a picture of a moose.
will we have to sack you?

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
But quite tasty none the less.
Not true. I've had to eat javelina on a few occasions. I had a grandfather who insisted that we eat every animal he shot. I just wanted him to stop shooting animals. Game tastes like garbage. Too bad he couldn't have shot a few plain old cows, chickens, or pigs. That would've been a delight. I have no interest in eating the wild. Musk, fear, and shot gun pellets are a bad combo on the old palate. Quail and dove are the exception, I suppose. Though, personally, I wouldn't consider an animal that weighs less than a pound or two "game".