HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Filppula has a broken wrist. Out 6-10 weeks

Old
10-30-2009, 05:02 PM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
You still have to drop that player [or others] to make room for Franzen to return. I was trying to keep my post simple on the amount of LTIR space available to exercise. Sorry for the confusion.
what if franzen would not return until the playoffs? salary cap does not apply after the regular season, right?

it seems more likely that franzen will miss almost the entire season than only 4 months. ACL injuries seem to take a very long time to heal.
and players seem to take a long time to return to their previous level after ACl injury.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
This team doesn't need a $7M player, but they probably could use 7M worth of exactly the players you mentioned. But I doubt Holland uses all that space, simply because adding guys like that will require something in return, and the Wings have limited assets to offer.
Exactly.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
what if franzen would not return until the playoffs? salary cap does not apply after the regular season, right?
Salary cap applies from day 1 of the regular season until June 30th. However since Franzen would be owed only $0 when the playoffs started, my understanding is he could return.

There's a different set of off-season salary cap rules in effect from July 1st through the last day of training camp.

One thing that does change for the deadline through post-season is the roster limit. Teams are allowed to carry more than 23 players on the active roster starting with the trade deadline as long as the team has available cap space for the extra players.

Last edited by mouser: 10-30-2009 at 05:39 PM.
mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
You still have to drop that player [or others] to make room for Franzen to return. I was trying to keep my post simple on the amount of LTIR space available to exercise. Sorry for the confusion.
oh okay that makes more sense thanks for the clear up

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote