HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs in Sharks October 30th 8.30 MT

Old
10-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Avsboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post

Stastny on the left side? Really? I also don't believe playing Svatos against the Canucks (game 15 of the season) will be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as Colorado's playoff hopes go.

The Avalanche can't beat teams like Detroit and San Jose without Anderson because...well, they aren't as skilled. Stastny, Hejduk, and Wolski pale in comparison to guys like Thornton, Heatley, and Marleau (and it showed big time).

That's just reality. Given that they're 8-1-1 in the past ten games (the majority of which on the road), I don't foresee significant line-up changes ahead.
-If Svatos plays against the nucks - and he will - then the game won't be pretty. The team can't produce anymore without the players it has lost. The second line has been non-existant all season, and you can't deny this. This can't be ignored anymore now that we've lost too many of our bottom 6 guys. This has to be fixed before the team loses its momentum.

-Yeah, Stastny on the left side. Wolski has clearly shown himself capable of carrying a line by himself. He's been dominant for 3-4 games now. And Duchene needs new linemates who can play solid 2-way and pass/receive the puck. Stastny and Duchene would probably have chemistry, with Jones as the speedy crash-the-net guy.

-The Avs can compete with the best teams. They played great D against Calgary. They beat Detroit the first time with a great effort in the 3rd period and OT. They can't compete lately because of injuries and the fact that the avs' top 6 isn't being managed properly. The second line hasn't done anything, and that's a big problem. The D also has to be quicker in its own zone.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 07:16 PM
FromChaos22

Is Anderson starting tomorrow?

FromChaos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 07:17 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post

?-Wolski-Hejduk
Stastny-Duchene-Jones
?-O'Reilly-Stewart
?-?-Koci

[/B]
Can't move Stastny to wing. He's the #1 center.

You know, this is going to piss off a lot people I'm guessing, but I think that it would be best to move Duchene to wing, and let Wolski play 2nd line center.

IMO, Duchene has been quite underwhelming so far. Yes, he's got great speed, and yes, he stickhandles well. But, does he really play hockey all that well? I think O'Reilly is by far the better hockey player, albeit with much lesser skills. Wolski is playing well in general, and the Avs simply do not have a 2nd line to speak of. Give it a shot, I say.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 07:45 PM
PugPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
according to Dater, he is

PugPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
shadow1

Quote:
-If Svatos plays against the nucks - and he will - then the game won't be pretty. The team can't produce anymore without the players it has lost. The second line has been non-existant all season, and you can't deny this. This can't be ignored anymore now that we've lost too many of our bottom 6 guys. This has to be fixed before the team loses its momentum.
Again, why? At the very worst, Svatos won't score a point. He hasn't done that for eight games now, and the record is 6-1-1 in that span.

If someone else were healthy I'd be all for benching him, but giving Hensick/Dupuis his minutes isn't a good solution.

Quote:
-Yeah, Stastny on the left side. Wolski has clearly shown himself capable of carrying a line by himself. He's been dominant for 3-4 games now. And Duchene needs new linemates who can play solid 2-way and pass/receive the puck. Stastny and Duchene would probably have chemistry, with Jones as the speedy crash-the-net guy.
Why not just Put Hejduk on Duchene's line? Putting Stastny at left wing doesn't make any sense because as mediocre as he is at faceoffs (47%), that number is god to Duchene's winning % (39.9).

Quote:
-The Avs can compete with the best teams. They played great D against Calgary. They beat Detroit the first time with a great effort in the 3rd period and OT. They can't compete lately because of injuries and the fact that the avs' top 6 isn't being managed properly. The second line hasn't done anything, and that's a big problem. The D also has to be quicker in its own zone.
The defense was good against Calgary, and has been pretty good against most teams this season.

But, San Jose and Detroit aren't most teams. They're on another level than Calgary, and no teams shoot as much as they do.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugPuck View Post
according to Dater, he is
That's crazy , they should rest him and start budaj or we could regret it in the long run .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

We're 10-2-2 and just lost in regulation for the first time in 10 games or so and someone wants to.....

Move our #1 center to 2nd line LW?

Move our #1 goal scorer and only good LW to center?

Move our 18 year old rookie center to LW?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
We're 10-2-2 and just lost in regulation for the first time in 10 games or so and someone wants to.....

I was thinking the same thing , it's like some are fast to push the panic button . Idk , maybe it's just me

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:32 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
I blame that first goal entirely on Adam Foote molasses slow ass. How hard is it to get the fukcin puck out? You been in the league for a long ass time.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Egghead1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

Is it the real lineup on Sunday?
C'mon, just little twist here and there is good enough.

Egghead1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

You know, this is going to piss off a lot people I'm guessing, but I think that it would be best to move Duchene to wing, and let Wolski play 2nd line center.

IMO, Duchene has been quite underwhelming so far. Yes, he's got great speed, and yes, he stickhandles well. But, does he really play hockey all that well? I think O'Reilly is by far the better hockey player, albeit with much lesser skills. Wolski is playing well in general, and the Avs simply do not have a 2nd line to speak of. Give it a shot, I say.

-AB
O'Reilly's strengths are uncommon for an 18 year old. He's good at things it normally takes a player years in the league to develop. It's unrealistic to expect this of all 18 year old players and it's unfair to knock other 18 year olds because they sometimes look like an 18 year old playing in a man's league. It also doesn't give enough credit to how special O'Reilly is for someone his age

IMO comparisons to O'Reilly aside Duchene has done fine for a kid his age playing in this league. He's not making glaring mistakes and does not look lost. He's not producing like a 2nd line center ideally should but IMO you've got to take that if you're going for a youth movement. The Avs have gotten off to a great start but the development of Duchene shouldn't take a back seat, and there's no major drawback to allowing him to grow into his role.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Avsboy

I'm pretty baffled right now. Sure, we're 10-2-2, but does anyone realize that we have no second line scoring and that our "scoring" grinders are all out (Mcleod, Tucker, Galiardi)?

Ok, we're 10-2-2. But we got contribution from the bottom guys and goaltending with Anderson. Without the bottom guys, how exactly will we score when the stastny line is shut down? We've needed to fix the second line from day 1, and now it's more urgent than ever.

You know what? Everyone's right...let's not shift around centers or wings in the top 6. Duchene and Svatos have been clicking all year. Let's keep it that way. Everything's fine, our second line should "gel" by game 50...

And Duchene's goal yesterday was a clear indicator of being a "great hockey player." He shouldn't be put on LW because he isn't strong enough to be in the corners. I feel Stastny and him would have good chemistry since Stastny knows how to bring the puck in the zone and pass. So, if they're on the same line, someone has to go LW, and it shouldn't be the fragile 18 year old. Meanwhile, Wolski has shown that he can pretty much be an entire line...so give him center position, and Hejduk on the wing. Wolski already proved he can be a great center, and I have a feeling he will really take advantage of that this year while he's flying.

Last edited by Avsboy: 11-01-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:35 AM
shadow1

Quote:
You know what? Everyone's right...
Finally, something I understand.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:24 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
I'm pretty baffled right now. Sure, we're 10-2-2, but does anyone realize that we have no second line scoring and that our "scoring" grinders are all out (Mcleod, Tucker, Galiardi)?

Ok, we're 10-2-2. But we got contribution from the bottom guys and goaltending with Anderson. Without the bottom guys, how exactly will we score when the stastny line is shut down? We've needed to fix that line from day 1, and now it's more urgent than ever.

You know what? Everyone's right...let's not shift around centers or wings in the top 6. Duchene and Svatos have been clicking all year. Let's keep it that way. Everything's fine, our second line should "gel" by game 50...

And Duchene's goal yesterday was a clear indicator of being a "great hockey player." He shouldn't be put on LW because he isn't strong enough to be in the corners. I feel Stastny and him would have good chemistry since Stastny knows how to bring the puck in the zone and pass. So, if they're on the same line, someone has to go LW, and it shouldn't be the fragile 18 year old. Meanwhile, Wolski has shown that he can pretty much be an entire line...so give him center position, and Hejduk on the wing. Wolski already proved he can be a great center, and I have a feeling he will really take advantage of that this year while he's flying.
Did you know Kevin Bieksa is better offensively than Wolski?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Commander Enigma

This 10-2-2 start is gravy. Seems like some fans are looking at the gravy and now demanding a filet mignon even though the only thing that was ever on the menu was mashed potatoes.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:54 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:

Ok, we're 10-2-2. But we got contribution from the bottom guys and goaltending with Anderson. Without the bottom guys, how exactly will we score when the stastny line is shut down? We've needed to fix the second line from day 1, and now it's more urgent than ever.

Both of Duchene's goals so far show his real strength too: Individual effort. His skills are great but so far he has not really elevated the skills of those around him. That will come with time but at 18 he is clearly not clicking yet in this area. RoR so far is making the players around him better AND showing great individual effort. It is going to be great watching these kids develop.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:42 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
Wolski's having success on the wing, so let's move him to center!

Duchene's on pace for 41 points as an 18yo rookie playing with freaking Svatos, omg he's so underwhelming! Why isn't he Stastny yet?

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

He's a rookie. It's still a rebuilding year. I think we should all chill.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Adama0905

Quote:

Sorry, I agree Duchene's line should be fixed, but taking away one of our line's centers is not the way to do it. You just can't switch around the centers. It doesn't work that way.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:37 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Wolski's having success on the wing, so let's move him to center!

Duchene's on pace for 41 points as an 18yo rookie playing with freaking Svatos, omg he's so underwhelming! Why isn't he Stastny yet?

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

He's a rookie. It's still a rebuilding year. I think we should all chill.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote