HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs in Sharks October 30th 8.30 MT

Old
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
He can still skate hard, but for whatever reason, his stickhandling has gone down the toilet. Remember how great he used to be one-on-one with a defender?
Actually, no, I don't. Svatos did his scoring one way and one way only, standing in front of the net. He's never been a breakaway/1-on-1 type of scorer that I've ever seen.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I hope Foote retires...

Avalanche are going to have a logjam of NHL-level defense next year... Gaunce will probably go to the AHL... but...

Liles
Clark
Hannan
Cumiskey
Quincey
Shattenkirk
Wilson
Elliot

all need homes.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I agree that he should hang them up after this season's done, but I'd hesitate to say he's been as bad as you're saying here. He's definitely lost a step, and in no way is his pricetag justified, but he can still hold a point, punishes guys in front of the net, and has good defensive awareness. If not for so many pleasant surprises on this team--especially on defense, I think we'd see Foote in a different light and realize that while he's not the Adam Foote this team previously had, he's still somewhat useful in the proper role.

Regarding trading Svatos it's a double edged sword. On one hand, his value is at an all-time low. He won't fetch much on the open market and it'll only get worse if he continues to play like he has. On the other hand, if he starts putting up numbers and the Avs keep winning, then it might be best to hang on to him. The secondary scoring will be welcomed and needed.

One thing is for certain, he's not the same player he used to be when he broke in to the league. He can still skate hard, but for whatever reason, his stickhandling has gone down the toilet. Remember how great he used to be one-on-one with a defender? I haven't seen him beat a guy one-on-one all year, but I've seen a handful of pitiful attempts.
Exactly - it's painful to watch. The puck just seems to bounce off his stick like its a tennis ball down a gravel road...Where are the hands he used to have?

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
avsme

Marek is also -7 (in +/-) - worst on the team.

avsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Actually, no, I don't. Svatos did his scoring one way and one way only, standing in front of the net. He's never been a breakaway/1-on-1 type of scorer that I've ever seen.
I disagree - he definitely had some of poise stickhandling earlier in his career. Afinogenov-esque - lots of moves - not going anywhere. Regardless, the puck tended to stay on his stick though that skate drag move he uses so frequently.

Now on the other hand - all his handles are spastic, almost too fast for himself to keep up with where his head wants the puck to go.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
He wasnt Datsyuk but he was fairly decent 1 on 1 player. Now that puck is like a grenade on his stick. He cant seem to receive a pass without bobbling it. I wasnt too keen on trading him earlier but im more then willing to get him out of Denver now

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:33 PM
shadow1

I don't think Foote has been that bad. There have been times where he's made uncharacteristic turn overs and is clearly slow as molasses, but he's physical and good in front of the net.

I prefer having him to not having him.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 264
The title of this thread makes me think the Sharks will eat the Avs.

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I hope Foote retires...

Avalanche are going to have a logjam of NHL-level defense next year... Gaunce will probably go to the AHL... but...

Liles
Clark
Hannan
Cumiskey
Quincey
Shattenkirk
Wilson
Elliot

all need homes.
Clark's contract is up at the end of this year and I'd be surprised if he's re-signed but you're missing Preissing

P0ckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Sgarbossy

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
Clark's contract is up at the end of this year and I'd be surprised if he's re-signed but you're missing Preissing
I wouldn't at all be surprised if Svats and a few midlist Dmen are shopped nearing the trade deadline.

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Avsboy

Svats won't get us a 5th rounder. If we shop d-men, we can offer clark, salei, and that's about it. Throw Hensick in and you have a collection of bleh players who, combined, would fetch a 3rd round pick. Likely no interest at all in anyone except Salei.

Thankfully, we'll probably be in the playoffs or in contention (for a cup ) by the time the deadline comes around. We aren't exactly like the flyers of two years ago who had tradable assets...

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:47 PM
PugPuck

Hensick in the lineup tonight.

JML also makes his return tonight.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009...out-4-6-weeks/

PugPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Agreed. Wolski's Potential>>>>>Svatos' potential.

I would love to see svatos moved at the deadline for a veteran forward for a good playoff push...

..... Naslund anybody?
Didnt he retire in the early 90's?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Didnt he retire in the early 90's?
Mats Naslund ? yep

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Mats Naslund ? yep
He is a cup winner so we might want his experience for a playoff run, but he must be in his 50's by now.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugPuck View Post
Who?

Oh that guy!

You mean he's still on the team???
----

With all these injuries, f somehow the Avs do end up losing tonight, I've got plenty of valid excuses for my slew of Shark fan friends.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Avalanche France

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugPuck View Post

JML also makes his return tonight.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009...out-4-6-weeks/
Good new that JML comes back, and very happy to see Hensick in the lineup ( I hope that he'll prove he has what it takes to be a great part of this team)

I didn't believe Galiardi's injury was so serious... The Avs will miss him tonight.

Avalanche France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Avsboy

Actually I think Hensick, if used on the second line, will make an impact tonight. JML being in the lineup should be huge for the pp.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche France View Post
Good new that JML comes back, and very happy to see Hensick in the lineup ( I hope that he'll prove he has what it takes to be a great part of this team)

I didn't believe Galiardi's injury was so serious... The Avs will miss him tonight.
Our PK is goin to suck tonight

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Our PK is goin to suck tonight
Not really , we used to have a great coach that played Statsny on the PK , what was his name again ... anyway i'm sure he had a good reason to make that move , so let's play Statsny on the PK and with less then 2 minutes left to the game ... and wait

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
chewey
dmitri

I won't be in for the game tonight, have a BDay party to attend.
On the + side, I am only guy there

Lets go avs!

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
SC2008

We're ready for you guys this time. Sharks win 4-3.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:01 PM
PeterTheGreat

I hope the don't stick Hensick on the 4th line and and move Willsie or Durno up. Thats not their roles.

I'd go:

Wolski-Stastny-Hejduk
Hensick-Duchene-Svatos
Stewart-O'Reilly-Jones
Koci-Willsie-Durno

I'd think about switching Stewart and Hensick though at times. Because right now, that 2nd line is small, and not great defensively (poor Duchene would be doing alot of the defensive work on that line).

Also I seem to remember Hensick and Jones having some chemistry in the past so maybe they could play together.

I was just thinking, maybe O'Reilly-Svatos would work well. O'Reilly is the type of player where he doesn't really play off the rush, and he is good on the boards and at cycling. He's an underrated passer and he likes to set up behind the net or on the halfboards. Maybe he would suit Marek better than Duchene who is more of a faster, off the rush player. Plus O'Reilly is better defensively to cover up for Svatos.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I'd go:

Wolski-Stastny-Hejduk
Hensick-Duchene-Svatos
Stewart-O'Reilly-Jones
Koci-Willsie-Durno

I'd think about switching Stewart and Hensick though at times. Because right now, that 2nd line is small, and not great defensively (poor Duchene would be doing alot of the defensive work on that line).
Not great defensively? I'd say that's the understatement of the year. That line will be -10 on the night if it's iced. At the very least I'd switch Jones and Svatos since Jones appears (to me at least) to have a somewhat better defensive acumen.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
Exactly - it's painful to watch. The puck just seems to bounce off his stick like its a tennis ball down a gravel road...Where are the hands he used to have?
I think marek literally has zero confidence in himself right now. He's not even trying his moves. Sure, he wasn't the greatest dangler of all time, but he did well enough, now he's chipping the puck in. There's no way he thinks he's going to win that battle. Not against a larger defenseman, that's why he always had to go to a move before. Honestly it's pretty pathetic.

right now he reminds me of a kid I played D with in middle school, (who really wasn't that bad) that lost his confidence. He was a pretty good player (probably better than I was), but god, one day he just started treating the puck like a live grenade.

FWIW, he does still skate hard. IDK how much it counts for, but he does do that.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote