Notices

Sobotka and Marchand so far

Old
10-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Sobotka and Marchand so far

Just been making sure to keep an eye on him for the games he's played but I think Sobotka performing so well is somewhat vindication for HFBoards contributors. I know he's only played in a couple of games but I think he's really performed well in the chances he's had and would love to have him stay up here all year long. I know it's early and anyone can slump, but he looks ready. Likewise I think Marchand has been performing extremely well and his speed really showed. Plus he plays with great emotion. I'm not so hopeful for him staying up because I just don't think they have the roster space but I do think Sobotka has earned a spot.

What do you guys think?

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
C77

Impressed with both. I think Brickley mentioned that Sobotka is now tied with Lucic for 3rd on the team in hits (19) and he's only played 4 games. Plus he goes to the net and made a couple nice plays in the defensive zone last night.

Marchand is a good passer and competitor. He hasn't been able to get the puck on net I'm sure as much as he'd like though. Bruins haven't given up a PP goal since he + Paille have been playing (crosses fingers + knocks on wood).

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:10 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

I was more impressed with Marchand in the beginning, but Sobotka is really starting to find his game and as of the last two games he's been the better player.

Him and Paille are monsters on the forecheck.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Sob with Paille has been a nice forechecking combo, they are beasts. Marchand has been so so so far.

Sob has earned a spot on this roster when some of the walking wounded come back in my eyes.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
I was more impressed with Marchand in the beginning, but Sobotka is really starting to find his game and as of the last two games he's been the better player.

Him and Paille are monsters on the forecheck.
I know right?! Their speed really helped the B's keep the puck in the zone. If they can keep it up, Defensemen start setting up and rotating from halfboards to the point with someone playing high slot or in front of the keeper. If they can find the same page, I think the B's offense will really start to kick in to gear.

Old
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Sobotka started very slow but the move to center has helped as well as better linemates. Marchand overall has done well but I haven't seen the borderline dirty stuff or the yapping I'm used to so its either they've put him on a short leash or that he's afraid to try it at this level, I have to say I'm disappointing in this as he's a much better player when he's agitating. They both need to bury there chances

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Both need to stay up IMO, but SOB is a much better centerman then winger IMO.

Move Bergeron to Savard's right side and use SOB as the 3rd line centerman the rest of the season.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:31 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
When Lucic returns, Marchand probably goes back to Providence. When Savard returns its goign to be a tough situation because SOB has played very well.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Overall Sobotka has been better. Marchand is good and I like his speed but he needs to get stronger. Seems he's knocked off the puck a little too easy.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
hockeyfanKW

I've been impressed with Marchand's positioning and the puck seems to find him. He just needs to be more comfortable and control the puck more. I lost count of how many times the puck went off the end of his blade. At least he's in the play. It'll come, I like him.

hockeyfanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

Move Bergeron to Savard's right side and use SOB as the 3rd line centerman the rest of the season.
Intriguing kind of.

Old
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
norwoodmustang

Send a message via AIM to norwoodmustang Send a message via MSN to norwoodmustang Send a message via Yahoo to norwoodmustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
When Lucic returns, Marchand probably goes back to Providence. When Savard returns its goign to be a tough situation because SOB has played very well.
I agree completely. I love what Marchand brings and would love for him to stay with the team but I see him going back when Looch is healthy. I think getting this taste of the NHL will be great for him, like it was for Krejci. He knows what he needs to work on now, and he'll get first line minutes and a ton of PP time down there. Should be the first callup if we need a skilled forward due to injury later this year.

norwoodmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:43 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:

Didn't think of this before Lou, but it could solve a number of problems, good call, but I doubt it happens.

Lucic-Savard-Bergeron
Sturm-Krejci-Ryder
Paille-Sobotka-Recchi
Thornton-Begin-Bitz

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Didn't think of this before Lou, but it could solve a number of problems, good call, but I doubt it happens.

Lucic-Savard-Bergeron
Sturm-Krejci-Ryder
Paille-Sobotka-Recchi
Thornton-Begin-Bitz
And what happens to Wheeler?

Old
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4ndy View Post
And what happens to Wheeler?
Traded Ooops.

Forgot him, must be his stellar play so far?

The good thing about him slumping is that it's going to cost a LOT LESS to re-sign him, LOL. As much as I hate to say it, especially given the way he has progressed over the last couple of games, but SOB will probably be the 13th forward, and we won't see Lou's suggestion. The Paille acquisition was good given the injuries, but it probably dooms SOB to the bench when Looch and Savard return.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
i liked marchand the first couple games, but i think he needs a year in providence. he is pretty quick, and he plays well with bergeron, but he is getting way too excited when he gets the puck. he almost reminds me of a poor mans samsonov, in that his body cant match the pace that his brain goes at. slot it down big guy.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Lucic-Savard-Bergeron
Sturm-Krejci-Ryder
Paille-Sobotka-Recchi
Thornton-Begin-Bitz
Bergeron is a LOCK 30 goal scorer IMO with Savard and he's our most natural goal scorer now IMO...

I'd drop Sturm to line 3 and alternate Paille and Recchi probably, although Paille would be mostly on the bench..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Bergeron is a LOCK 30 goal scorer IMO with Savard and he's our most natural goal scorer now IMO...

I'd drop Sturm to line 3 and alternate Paille and Recchi probably, although Paille would be mostly on the bench..
Where would you put Wheeler in this line up? I'm intrigued by Bergeron on the wing even though it seems unlikely.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
Where would you put Wheeler in this line up? I'm intrigued by Bergeron on the wing even though it seems unlikely.
The "big debate" has revolved around the Savard-Krejci-Wheeler depth chart beyond this year.

Maybe this is a good idea. Put Bergeron on the wing and keep all 3.

Move Wheeler. He's a bit of an unknown in terms of upside. Could be a 18-25 goal scorer, could be a 25-30 goal scorer who brings something more to the table. But, he also needs to be resigned and is not cheap.

If you keep SOB or Marchand or Hamill or whatever in the lineup and move Wheeler and keep the 3 centers, shuffled around a bit, maybe that's the winning formula. Try to get some cheap guys in the lineup so you can keep the expensive guys you really want.

Someone would have to crunch the numbers, but I'd like to see more cheap guys in the lineup so we can keep the right players.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

With the way Bergie has playing lately, can you imagine him and Savvy together on the same line?? It'd be killer. They'd be two steps ahead of any team they were up against.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Sobotka has really picked his game up since moving to center, but with that being said I still think he can be a top 6 winger in this league, just needs to play with talented linemates. Hard for anyone to look good when they're being centered by Trent Whitfield.

I like both these kids, and agree with most in saying that Marchand had the better start, but that SOB is coming on strong... he's had a number of good scoring chances and created some good ones as well. Just a matter of time before they start going in.

When everyone comes back I'd go with this.

Lucic-Savard-Ryder
SOB-Krejci-Wheeler
Sturm-Bergeron-Recchi
Paille-Begin-Thornton
ex: Bitz

or something along those lines.

Hopefully both these guys continue to improve and can pot a few over the next handful of games.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
With the way Bergie has playing lately, can you imagine him and Savvy together on the same line?? It'd be killer. They'd be two steps ahead of any team they were up against.
Its nice to think about... and I agree... but theres just no way it happens. Bergeron is too valuable at center.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:18 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I saw 15 or so games of Marchand last year and three in Providence before his callup and can't believe this is the same guy. The guy in Providence combined all-around skill with the persona of a feisty big-mouthed brat.

I have no problem with him being up here right now, and have seen some good things; however, I do think he's better going down at some time and getting another 40+ games in the AHL. He's still got a ways to go but once he gets comfortable and gets his feet under him could be a very good player in Boston. I really hope people don't see him struggle a bit and dismiss him as without injuries he's probably in Manchester, NH tonight.

Sobotka has looked pretty good. He needs to continue taking the body especially through the neutral zone where he is quick enough to catch almost anyone and rub them out before they can make a play. Another thing I'd like to see is wingers once controlling a puck in the corner working on a timing play where they fire the puck just outside the crease as Sobotka blasts into that area for a quick tip. It almost happened last night, and he is so quick, fast, and shifty he can split a seam in a second and make something happen.

Both there players are very young and after a few Bruins move on after this season should be able to take over full time spots in the coming season. the Sobotka-Paille combination is one outstanding forechecking line, they get in fast, and Bitz might eventually be a nice addition for cycling. This could be a pretty nice 3/4 line next season.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:33 PM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Sobotka has really picked his game up since moving to center, but with that being said I still think he can be a top 6 winger in this league, just needs to play with talented linemates. Hard for anyone to look good when they're being centered by Trent Whitfield.

I like both these kids, and agree with most in saying that Marchand had the better start, but that SOB is coming on strong... he's had a number of good scoring chances and created some good ones as well. Just a matter of time before they start going in.

When everyone comes back I'd go with this.

Lucic-Savard-Ryder
SOB-Krejci-Wheeler
Sturm-Bergeron-Recchi
Paille-Begin-Thornton
ex: Bitz

or something along those lines.

Hopefully both these guys continue to improve and can pot a few over the next handful of games.
I would change it a bit. Maybe something like this:
Sturm/Savard/Bergeron
Lucic/Krejci/Ryder
Paille/SOB/Recchi
Wheeler/Begin/Thorton
ex. Bitz

The great thing is that the Bruins have plenty of good players to interchange.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:49 PM
8thRoundPick

Quote:

Good idea, but I feel this makes one great line and 2 OK lines, whereas having Bergeron as center keeps 3 good lines to cycle.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote