HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous 2009-10 Canes News and Notes Thread

Old
11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
I'd go ape **** with joy if we got Cam Barker. As brought up on the main board last night, a deal surrounding Corvo/Cullen for Barker/Sopel seems to fit both teams. I gotta say, Chicago would be geared up for one hell of a run.

It seems to good to be true.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Sens1Canes2

vCash: 500
I remember Sopel from the Canucks (I think?), and thought at the time he was OK. As I remember him, he wasn't worse than Ward, Wallin, or Alberts...

Anybody care to update on how he is now? It has to be 2 or 3 years since I've paid attention to him.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

I have always liked Sopel and in all honesty wouldn't mind him here if we had to take him. I wanted JR to sign him a couple years ago when he was a UFA. I could live with a top 6 next year of Pitkanen, Gleason, Barker, Sopel, Carson & Alberts. Having to suck up one year at 2 million isn't the end of the world especially if it gets us Barker, a defenceman who we can build around for quite a few years along with Pitkanen & Gleason. We've only got Pitkanen, Gleason and Alberts on the books next year with Carson likely getting a spot. Add in Barker & Sopel and you won't hear my complain. As of right now Sopel is playing great according to a Hawks fan on the trade board.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-25-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old
11-25-2009, 01:14 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Pitkanen, Gleason, Barker, Sopel, Carson & Alberts
Think of it...Gleason would be the runt of the litter.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:14 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I just don't want Sopel anywhere near our top 4, in fact I'd rather have Babchuk, confidence issues and all. I could deal with him on our bottom pairing for just the one more year but that's about the extent of it. He had a good season 2 years ago but was hardly used by the Blackhawks last year due to elbow surgery and was flat out unproductive when he was in the lineup. He's been unproductive again this year.

Ideally this would be our defense next year if a trade such as the Sopel/Barker one is made:

Pitkanen-Gleason
Barker-Defensive Defenseman UFA
Alberts-Sopel

with Carson as our #7

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:28 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Barker-Defensive Defenseman UFA

with Carson as our #7
Makes me wonder whether Carson could handle that...

Old
11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Possibility there depending on how he comes back from injury. He impressed me when he played here last season but obviously that doesn't always hold over when a player misses a significant amount of time. I'm hopeful that either he or Bellemore could move into the #4 slot eventually.

Old
11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

So... no love for McBain? You really think he will not ready in the end of the season? I still hope he can make team next season.

And i'm not sure Carson will make it before Rodney.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Possibility there depending on how he comes back from injury. He impressed me when he played here last season but obviously that doesn't always hold over when a player misses a significant amount of time. I'm hopeful that either he or Bellemore could move into the #4 slot eventually.

So far, so good with Carson's return. In his 7 games since returning from injury he has 4 points (1 goal, 3 assists & a +1). All looks well, so far. Maybe someone who has watched him can tell us how he has played aside from his stats.

Old
11-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Colorado, in a move that shocks everyone, just waived T.J. Hensick. We're first in line to make a claim on him if we want him. This seems a lot like when Bryzgalov was waived in terms of him being a player that everybody thought had tangible trade value. I wonder if Carolina takes a look. I certainly hope they do. He could be an absolute game breaker. Money wouldn't be an issue as he's on an ELC and is due to be restricted next year at 850k.

PLEASE JR PLEASE!

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

This is from the Blues beat writer, I picked it up off the main board. Interesting anyway that he has now reported St.Louis/Carolina in consecutive weeks.

Quote:
Wes: Hey JR. We've heard rumors about a lot of scouts being at the Blues' recent games.

Do you have any news on teams the Blues might be talking to? It's obvious they need to make a move IMO. Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeremy Rutherford:

From what I've heard lately, Carolina is a team that has had scouts at Blues and Peoria games, and I believe the Blues have had scouts at recent Carolina games.

Old
11-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

He's just making stuff up because he's Jim Rutherford's son.

Old
11-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

The more I think about it, the perfect opportunity just cropped up for Carolina. Hensick, a young center with Matt Cullen-esque upside, just hit waivers.

Flip Corvo and Cullen to Chicago for Cam Barker and Sopel.

Jokinen - Staal - Ruutu
Whitney - Sutter - Cole
Samsonov - Hensick - Larose
Walker - Brind'Amour - Kostopoulos

Pitkanen - Gleason
Ward - Sopel
Barker - Wallin

Bingo Bango.

Old
11-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The more I think about it, the perfect opportunity just cropped up for Carolina. Hensick, a young center with Matt Cullen-esque upside, just hit waivers.

Flip Corvo and Cullen to Chicago for Cam Barker and Sopel.

Jokinen - Staal - Ruutu
Whitney - Sutter - Cole
Samsonov - Hensick - Larose
Walker - Brind'Amour - Kostopoulos

Pitkanen - Gleason
Ward - Sopel
Barker - Wallin

Bingo Bango.

Ok this is hilarious. I was JUST (literally, no joke) posting the same thing, I thought you'd like the idea.

I still think it's to good to be true though.

Old
11-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:

Ok this is hilarious. I was JUST (literally, no joke) posting the same thing, I thought you'd like the idea.

I still think it's to good to be true though.
Haha, you know what they say about great minds!

But yeah, that's a pipe dream. I actually think Carolina would potentially take a look at Hensick considering he'll be cheap and he has a lot of upside, but the Barker trade likely won't happen. But man could we ever use a player like Hensick right now in the worst way to infuse some talent into this group.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

The thought of adding a young Hensick is intriguing for me because it would give us another young guy with solid potential to add to our mix of our youth movement this/next season. This is the year to add these types of guys, especially when they hit waivers and don't cost us zip. And as for guys like Barker, if we could somehow, someway land that big of a young guy, we're on our way and you can call me damn impressed.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Exactly. Hensick is a ZERO risk proposition. Worst case scenario, he comes in here for two weeks and dogs it and we lose about $20k and we waive him and somebody else gives him a shot. At worst, he goes down to the AHL and makes about $62 grand and gives Albany a deadly playmaker.

If we pass, it's not likely that Toronto will. I think he's gone to one of the bottom five teams in the league.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
The thought of adding a young Hensick is intriguing for me because it would give us another young guy with solid potential to add to our mix of our youth movement this/next season. This is the year to add these types of guys, especially when they hit waivers and don't cost us zip. And as for guys like Barker, if we could somehow, someway land that big of a young guy, we're on our way and you can call me damn impressed.
We have had some luck resurrecting the castaways, even if only for half a season or so, so why not?

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 4827
I guess I don't know much about this Hensick chap. I'm psyched if you guys are psyced, but what's up with the Avs not wanting him?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I guess I don't know much about this Hensick chap. I'm psyched if you guys are psyced, but what's up with the Avs not wanting him?
That is the most confusing part of the whole thing for me. I have no idea why they would give up on him this soon. Either he's a good kid who they want to give a chance before his career dries up, or he's a malcontent that they want to rid themselves of having to deal with. I assume it's the former since nobody on the Avs board really mentioned anything about an attitude problem.

Sometimes there are situations where shopping a kid isn't in his best interest because a team could pick him up and bury him. By going bottom up on the standings, he's going to be looked at by teams that could give him the opportunity to play right away. Sometimes, it's the best option for a young player on the brink to go to a team that can afford to give him the ice time to really showcase his talent.

Plus, it's not like the Avs are hurting for assets. They have three or four lines full of young talent.

Old
11-25-2009, 07:31 PM
geehaad

Quote:
I have no idea why they would give up on him this soon. [snip] Plus, it's not like the Avs are hurting for assets. They have three or four lines full of young talent.
I haven't done the research, but this may be precisely why they've waived him...possibly put into a situation where they cannot keep everyone on the big roster and they're hoping that the kid will slip through the cracks. It doesn't necessarily have to be a situation where they want to cut bait...

Old
11-25-2009, 07:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

The Avs top 3 centers (Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly) are all better then Hensick is, and Hensick isn't 4th line matterial by any means. I have to think they're actually hoping a team like us, Toronto or Florida snags him to give the kid a chance.

Old
11-25-2009, 08:26 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

do we have cash for this??? He is certainly more deserving of a roster spot than Yelle. Althougth it would give us another player who doesnt particularly like contact in the corners.....but the skill set would still be an upgrade

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
do we have cash for this??? He is certainly more deserving of a roster spot than Yelle. Althougth it would give us another player who doesnt particularly like contact in the corners.....but the skill set would still be an upgrade
We could send down Dwyer and easily do this. Plus, if the rumors about trading Cullen or Corvo are true then it may be a non-issue regardless. Dwyer makes 500k as an NHL regular, Hensick makes like 750k..... the day we couldn't afford that is the day PK folds it up.

Old
11-25-2009, 09:07 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
We could send down Dwyer and easily do this. Plus, if the rumors about trading Cullen or Corvo are true then it may be a non-issue regardless. Dwyer makes 500k as an NHL regular, Hensick makes like 750k..... the day we couldn't afford that is the day PK folds it up.
But we could use that 250k difference towards Aaron Ward's contract extension...

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote