HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Miscellaneous 2009-10 Canes News and Notes Thread

Old
11-25-2009, 09:09 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
hensick has bounced around in his roles quite a bit, and i dont feel theyve let him stew in the minors enough. i think he needs some solid time in one place getting his game better. hes all over the place right now, and doesnt have any confidence in terms of scoring. if we were to go young hes an absolute possibility, if were still trying to make things work i dont think wed use him right he needs some time to develop.

i like him tho, watched him play live with jj his last season - he was a sniper in college.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 11-25-2009 at 09:25 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I wonder if we'll hear anything today regarding Hensick. I read on the main board since he was placed on waivers Wednesday he's got 48 hours to clear, bringing us to Friday at noon. I would think if we were interested we would hear something today.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 08:30 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Probably nothing until tomorrow. With it being Turkey Day I can't see either Chip or anyone else for that matter doing the kind of leg work that would be needed to get the info. Not to mention I'm not sure JR would tip his hand here even though we have the first selection anyway.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Or I could be completely off base and Bob MacKenzie does all the work saying that nobody has put in a claim for either.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
hes all over the place right now, and doesnt have any confidence in terms of scoring.
He'll never fit in here then.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:26 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
He'll never fit in here then.
Hensick is a Keith Aucoin-type but with a better pedigree. He has good skills but his size as a center in the NHL doesn't translate into points as it does in college and the AHL.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 10:17 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Hensick cleared waivers btw.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Chips latest article, rather interesting I guess.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ough-decisions

Quote:
But there was something different about Friday's game. There have been other games from time to time when the home fans booed after a dismal loss. That's their perogative. But there seemed to be a more vehement force behind the boos that broke out Friday in the third period.

Rutherford, sitting as always in the corner seat of the Hurricanes' second-level box, certainly heard them. Now he has to decide how to deal with them, to try and prevent them.

Yes, some tough decisions have to be made.

Remember, there are 57 games still to play.

Old
11-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Hensick cleared waivers btw.
And it's situations like this that make me suspect collusion may be a very real possibility. There is simply no way that fan opinion regarding a player and actual value can have such a marked discrepancy like there was in this case.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I've long suspected that. This happens too often - there must be a gentlemen's agreement in place here for certain cases.

Old
11-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Looking at my schedule/results chart, if it weren't for a few OTL or SOL, the Canes would be 3-19 in their last 22 games.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Chips latest article, rather interesting I guess.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ough-decisions
Well, other than the same old, same old that was in there, he was right about one thing. The booing in the Friday game came from the pot finally boiling over.

I'd like to think we're tolerable fans. We rarely make a big deal publicly about the outgoings of the organization. In fact, the infamous "We want Weekes" chant and the "Mo Must Go" chant is about the only time I can remember the crowd really getting involved. And in both those situations, they had reached far past tolerable.

If this continues, especially in the 3rd period, I expect those boos to stick around and bring a much larger force behind them. Because it's starting to reach the ridiculous stage, and if Rutherford can't acknowledge that, we may have to find someone who can.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

We likely won't see anything substantial happen until after Monday's game, which will almost certainly be a home loss. After that, there are a few days in the schedule that are dead. Starting Tuesday, we should start seeing some really big signs of life from the front office. The manner in which we have lost our last two games commands a response.

If not, i'll have no problem with fans of other teams accusing us of tanking because at that point it will have become obvious. I just hope that this year, unlike others, we actually trade our tradeable assets at the deadline as opposed to keeping them.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:03 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I have a bad feeling that Pitkanen has lost interest playing for Carolina. He's behavior reminds me of what he did in Edmonton.

He seems to spend too much time on medical leave without apparent reason.

Does anyone else have this feeling?

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I have a bad feeling that Pitkanen has lost interest playing for Carolina. He's behavior reminds me of what he did in Edmonton.

I hope it's one of those things where he's really banged up but continues to get himself into the lineup sporadically. Call me a glass-half-full guy on this one.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:

I feel that to a degree this may be true. I just think Pitkanen has a hard time getting up for minutes when the team is dead last in the league with no signs of hope. Is it a problem moving forward with Carolina? I am inclined to say it's probably not. It's not like anybody is looking towards Pitkanen with aspirations of being a team leader of any kind. I also think that Pitkanen and Ruutu are really making sure they stay healthy for Finland because they're both going to be heavily relied upon in February.

I think the organization knew what they were signing up for when they picked up Joni and so far he hasn't disappointed. When your team is performing well, Joni will be there to make the most of his minutes and give everything he has.... but when your team is performing poorly, he's not going to be the guy to dig deep and get them out of it. That's why he's only making $4 million as opposed to the salary that elite first pairing guys are worth... because his heart is only in the game as long as the team has a shot at winning. His fragile psyche is only evidence of the larger problem of a losing culture in the room.

Is that an excuse on my part for Pitkanen ducking games and not playing up to his standards when he does play? Absolutely not. However, the buyer beware tag was firmly planted on him when he arrived that this was a problem for him. To act appalled now that it has come to fruition would be disingenuous at best.

At the start of next season, with hopefully a better assembly of players, we should see Joni come back at full force.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:

Be ready for e4 when Eklund read this.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Be ready for e4 when Eklund read this.

Well we already KNOW that Staal is going to Edmonton for Cogliano, Nilsson and Gilbert.

Old
11-29-2009, 07:37 PM
bleedgreen

i was kinda hopeful for pitts when he came here, thinking it would be a good place for him to flourish. i remember hearing the comments from teamates talking about how soft in the head he is, and about needing to live with his mom and being concerned.

i would trade him in a heartbeat now if we got good return. it isnt the season we are having that makes me say this, and i dont mind him staying but he is not the right guy for the job he being given. we want him to be no 1, and he just isnt close to me. for all his skill plays, so few are effective, he doesnt have any leadership or toughness and sometimes plays flat out lazy and cowardly. if he was a 2 or 3 he'd be sweet, but as our no 1 i think its playing a role in our demise. you are lead by your best players in the end, and neither staal nor pitts have lead us anywhere. staal has profven he eventually wakes up, so he gets a pass but pitts is in too high a position to be the guy he is. he doesnt take charge of anything. joe tries but doesnt have the brain power, timmy tries but doesnt have the skill/skating. we are typically a d by committee team, but this committee doesnt work together, and to me it starts at the top. joe and joni will not lead a team into the playoffs, period. we have to step up and pay a guy who can play these roles for us, or get a better mix for the committee.

i would love streit, tho he wont be available as long as the isles are in contention. i know its as ridiculous a story as the staal "trade", but if dion was truly available i would trade whatever i had to so that we could get him here. like him or not he is a true no 1 guy. joe, whitney, and a top prospect make them better o wise this year and clear them cap space for next. i dont think they can pay their d as much as they are for long, i think someone gets moved out eventually. you get what you pay for usually on d, and we're gettin what 3-4 million gets you for a no 1 guy in pitts.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I have no problem with Pits as a #1 in a rebuilding team, but as it stands I am REALLY hoping there is something to Chicago looking hard at Cullen while also looking to move Barker. Not that either is an absolutely ideal #1, but a top 4 of Barker, Pitkanen, Gleason and McBain in the long term looks pretty good to me and a hell of a lot better then what we have now. No, it's not elite, but shy of trading for a guy like Markov or drafting Fowler we're not getting elite.

Of course we could be in position to take a guy like Jared Tinordi in the 2nd which would only help.

Old
11-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I have no problem with Pits as a #1 in a rebuilding team, but as it stands I am REALLY hoping there is something to Chicago looking hard at Cullen while also looking to move Barker. Not that either is an absolutely ideal #1, but a top 4 of Barker, Pitkanen, Gleason and McBain in the long term looks pretty good to me and a hell of a lot better then what we have now. No, it's not elite, but shy of trading for a guy like Markov or drafting Fowler we're not getting elite.

Of course we could be in position to take a guy like Jared Tinordi in the 2nd which would only help.

I am really holding onto hope for a Carolina/Chicago trade. It's two teams that have different needs yet they seem to have what eachother may want in terms of Carolina shaking things up roster wise, moving out some guys who are UFA at seasons end and who can contribute in a big way for a team like Chicago and help them to a deep playoff run but still keep salary open for the new contracts. Coming from Chicago would be something that would clear the space they need and also give Carolina a piece that could likely be a chip on our blueline for years to come.

I have always liked Cam Barker. Unfortunately he didn't make the jump to the NHL as smoothly as anticipated or hoped, but for me he has the potential to be a real solid top pairing defenceman. Maybe he won't ever be a 'top guy', but I think he's still got it in there to be real close to it. It seems he has been around a lot longer than he has (Played most of all last season at just 22 years old, still quite young for a defenceman), but last season was his 'first full season'. The two prior years he split time in Norfolk/Rockford & Chicago.

If a deal were to go down in the mold of Cullen/Corvo for Barker/Sopel .. I can't help but think it makes Chicago the favorites to take a real good run at Lord Stanley. The firepower they would have would just be top notch.

Old
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Old Uncle

If Pitkanen has lost interest in playing and has vaginal cramps that keep him out of games, what does that do to the rest of the room? Who, although they suck, are working their tails off as best they can. If certain guys are getting a pass, it puts the morale, and consequently the effort, into a downward spiral.

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:06 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Uncle View Post
If Pitkanen has lost interest in playing and has vaginal cramps that keep him out of games, what does that do to the rest of the room? Who, although they suck, are working their tails off as best they can. If certain guys are getting a pass, it puts the morale, and consequently the effort, into a downward spiral.
I think you're making assumptions about things that you have absolutely no clue about, and assuming the worst, to boot.

What an ugly thing to do...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Old Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I think you're making assumptions about things that you have absolutely no clue about, and assuming the worst, to boot.

What an ugly thing to do...
My apologies for stepping on your opinion or your sensitivities. I merely capsulized my take on 5 or 6 previous posts and postulated a possible outcome IF such things were the case. I had presumed that anyone with even a passing knowledge of the atmosphere in a professional locker room would recognise the possibilities.
Something that discussion boards such as this one are designed to discuss.
Only time will perhaps eventually tell us the full story.

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:22 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ackage/1/24615

"The rumors continue around Carolina who is looking like a team so far out of sync it is scary. the latest is that they have interest in Tomas Plekanec. While I am not hearing who could be heading back to Montreal, two prospects the Canadiens love I am told are Zach Boychuk and Drayson Bowman. Especially Boychuk. Of course the Canes would only move for Plekanec if they knew they could sign him."

Eklund

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote