HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With Filppula out for 2 months, how would Holland feel about Nylander?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2009, 12:31 PM
  #1
broad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,034
vCash: 500
With Filppula out for 2 months, how would Holland feel about Nylander?

With Filpulla and Franzen on LTIR, the Red Wings may lack secondary scoring. If Nylander could be acquired for nothing, do you believe Holland would be interested? Nylander currently has 5 assists in 4 games with Grand Rapids.

Of course Nylander would have to waive his NMC, but since he's already accepted being assigned to Grand Rapids, I imagine he would be happy to just play hockey.

I realize that goaltending and defence might be a bigger concern, but those upgrades may cost some assets whereas getting Nylander would be essentially free.

Nylander's cap hit is $4.875 M and he is due $5.5 M this year and $3.0 M next year.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:33 PM
  #2
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Nylander sure is going to fix the team's terrible netminding.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
  #3
Jussha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna View Post
With Filpulla and Franzen on LTIR, the Red Wings may lack secondary scoring. If Nylander could be acquired for nothing, do you believe Holland would be interested? Nylander currently has 5 assists in 4 games with Grand Rapids.

Of course Nylander would have to waive his NMC, but since he's already accepted being assigned to Grand Rapids, I imagine he would be happy to just play hockey.

I realize that goaltending and defence might be a bigger concern, but those upgrades may cost some assets whereas getting Nylander would be essentially free.

Nylander's cap hit is $4.875 M and he is due $5.5 M this year and $3.0 M next year.
Based on what mouser posted in one of the other threads with regards to how cap relief works with the LTIR, we do not have the cap space to acquire Nylander. Furthermore, his cap hit is too high for what he brings now and I would be more interested if we are making a move, in acquiring a winger as Babcock will undoubtedly split apart the Euro Twins.

If frolov goes on another short slump and gets benched he becomes a target at a cap hit of 2.9 million, but even that might cost more than we are willing to give up.

We should see how these next 3-4 games pan out and see if Datsyuk and Zetterberg can start carrying this team because if they can like they are suppose to, this season is not a throw away like some people are starting to think. I do hope we give Larsson a couple of games though as we can call up another player now.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
  #4
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 500
As before. Too expensive. But, I still think he could contribute a lot on a team.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
  #5
DaFranzenator
Registered User
 
DaFranzenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ????
Country: United States
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Nylander sure is going to fix the team's terrible netminding.
Or are shooty defense.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
  #6
Kiddington
Registered User
 
Kiddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Nylander sure is going to fix the team's terrible netminding.
This.

...the problems this season were actually supposed to be the offense, but that really isn't the case. The Wings have scored ten goals in the last two games, and have had several decent scoring outbursts at various times this season (five goals against Los Angeles a few weeks back, etc.).

It's the same story as last season; the defense, and more importantly, the goaltending, isn't getting the job done. And unless you plan on suiting up Nylander to play goal, I can't see what, if any, difference bringing him in would make, other than making the salary cap situation even worse than it already is.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:45 AM
  #7
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,955
vCash: 500
Pretty sure Nylander would have to clear re-entry waivers to come back to the NHL so if we did get him it would most likely be for nothing at all and at half the cap hit.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:57 AM
  #8
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Pretty sure Nylander would have to clear re-entry waivers to come back to the NHL so if we did get him it would most likely be for nothing at all and at half the cap hit.
No he was only in the AHL for a conditioning stint, so no re entry waivers.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:52 AM
  #9
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 500
How much cap room do we have now?

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
  #10
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,551
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
How much cap room do we have now?
A lot more with the lengthy injuries.....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:18 PM
  #11
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 500
Trade for Nylander, bring Jagr over next year.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary
Franzen-Filppula-Leino
Eaves-Nylander-Jagr
Abdelkader-Helm-Draper


Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
  #12
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
How much cap room do we have now?
You mean "how much cap room do we have until 2011?"

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
  #13
Ty Webb*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN View Post
Or are shooty defense.
I blame the schools.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
  #14
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 500
Nylander wouldn't be a bad option on re-entry waivers at this point. We do have 5.2M in LTIR cap space that could sustain itself for the remainder of the season, as its very possible Franzen and Lilja don't come back til the end of the season.

If Nylander went on re-entry waivers, and the Wings claimed him, he would only cost 1.95M in hard salary for this season, and 2.4M next season. In terms of this season, we could use him on the 2nd line if we wanted to keep the Eurotwins together, or we could use him as a winger alongside Zetterberg for 2 separate lines. His low cap hit would also leave additional space for another move at the deadline. In terms of next season, the Wings have 16M in cap space, and while some of that is all but "spoken for", theres room to make moves. The added incentive is that the UFA crop of forwards is fairly weak as it is.

On top of that, he has a NMC, and the rumor is that he would be able to reject a team that claimed him if he didn't want to go there, so that could allow the Wings to evade the waiver claim list.


Considering this is a transition year with our "youngsters" (Leino, Ericsson, and Howard) not looking too hot thus far, it really doesn't make sense for the Wings to be giving up prospects or picks for band-aids - especially when those picks are probably going to be the highest they've been in years. In essence, adding Nylander from the waiver wire is the most ideal move for the Wings as it stands.

Of course, he'd have to actually be on re-entry waivers first.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
  #15
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Of course, he'd have to actually be on re-entry waivers first.
And that's not going to happen if Washington's going to be on the hook for half his salary -- which it will.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
  #16
Athtar
Registered User
 
Athtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
And that's not going to happen if Washington's going to be on the hook for half his salary -- which it will.
Wouldn't they prefer that to being on the hook for his entire salary?

Athtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
  #17
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
And that's not going to happen if Washington's going to be on the hook for half his salary -- which it will.
Maybe, maybe not. Theres a reason very few teams exercise the "bury X player in the minors to save cap space" option. And thats because $5M comes with a lot of zeros for a guy that you're paying to do jack squat for your NHL club. Hell, there are many teams who would prefer a guy on re-entry waivers to paying him $2M in the minors.

I'm not familiar with the Caps ownership, but very few NHL owners are stable enough to be fine with this kind of move long-term.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
  #18
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athtar View Post
Wouldn't they prefer that to being on the hook for his entire salary?
They can pay out his full salary but not have it count toward the cap, whereas if he came back up the half would count against the cap.

That's right, isn't it?

Besides, I'm sure a trade could still happen regardless if Holland really wanted it to (and Nylander was willing to waive the NMC).

EDIT: How about Varlamov and Nylander for Howard, Cleary, and Lebda? Maybe a pick? Someone else? I don't know what Washington needs...


Last edited by RedMenace: 11-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:10 PM
  #19
Athtar
Registered User
 
Athtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
They can pay out his full salary but not have it count toward the cap, whereas if he came back up the half would count against the cap.

That's right, isn't it?

Besides, I'm sure a trade could still happen regardless if Holland really wanted it to (and Nylander was willing to waive the NMC).
Washington put Nylander on waivers:

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/5510307378

Athtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:12 PM
  #20
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
They can pay out his full salary but not have it count toward the cap, whereas if he came back up the half would count against the cap.

That's right, isn't it?

Besides, I'm sure a trade could still happen regardless if Holland really wanted it to (and Nylander was willing to waive the NMC).
That is right. But I dont think Holland would want Nylander if not on re-entry (or any GM for that matter). Personally, I think you'd see Nylander shipped for nothing better than a 4th rounder if a GM wanted him. He just has too many issues to justify the length and cost of his contract at full price.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:16 PM
  #21
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athtar View Post
Washington put Nylander on waivers:

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/5510307378
I... know... ?

If he stays in the minors, his full salary doesn't count against the team's cap. If he comes back through re-entry and is claimed, half of his salary is still counted against Washington's cap.

As far as I know, being waived doesn't mean a trade still can't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
That is right. But I dont think Holland would want Nylander if not on re-entry (or any GM for that matter). Personally, I think you'd see Nylander shipped for nothing better than a 4th rounder if a GM wanted him. He just has too many issues to justify the length and cost of his contract at full price.
Right, which is why I'm saying that something would have to go back the other way, even with the LTIR cap relief. I mean, how do we know the "issues" aren't a product of the environment? Reclamation project for Holland?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
  #22
Athtar
Registered User
 
Athtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I... know... ?

If he stays in the minors, his full salary doesn't count against the team's cap. If he comes back through re-entry and is claimed, half of his salary is still counted against Washington's cap.

As far as I know, being waived doesn't mean a trade still can't happen.
Actually, I didn't realize that Nylander was on waivers until I browsed over to the FA forum.

Athtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
  #23
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athtar View Post
Actually, I didn't realize that Nylander was on waivers until I browsed over to the FA forum.
Heh, okay... I thought you quoted me to tell me. Been following this Nylander story since he went down to Grand Rapids, thinking Holland might take a run at him if things went too downhill.

Well, the Wings are certainly picking up speed...

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
  #24
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I... know... ?

If he stays in the minors, his full salary doesn't count against the team's cap. If he comes back through re-entry and is claimed, half of his salary is still counted against Washington's cap.

As far as I know, being waived doesn't mean a trade still can't happen.



Right, which is why I'm saying that something would have to go back the other way, even with the LTIR cap relief. I mean, how do we know the "issues" aren't a product of the environment? Reclamation project for Holland?
Honestly, with the way the Caps are treating him, I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander's issues *are* a product of the environment. I'm not a big fan or Boudreau as it is, and he is more or less stuck on his run-and-gun system (which I don't entirely blame him for, considering his defensive talent versus his offensive talent). For an older finesse player like Nylander, I don't think that system is one in which he can be successful. One of the reasons the Wings have had such success with older (see: slower), finesse players in the past is because of their system, and I think puck-possession would be a much more conducive environment for a guy like Nylander.

But as far as sending something back, it would have to be meager. If there is any intrigue on the part of Holland, it would be because Nylander would be a low-risk acquisition that would cost him little. Thats the type of move that a Wings team in transition can afford. Anything else looks like too much of a risk right now.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:39 AM
  #25
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,551
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Honestly, with the way the Caps are treating him, I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander's issues *are* a product of the environment. I'm not a big fan or Boudreau as it is, and he is more or less stuck on his run-and-gun system (which I don't entirely blame him for, considering his defensive talent versus his offensive talent). For an older finesse player like Nylander, I don't think that system is one in which he can be successful. One of the reasons the Wings have had such success with older (see: slower), finesse players in the past is because of their system, and I think puck-possession would be a much more conducive environment for a guy like Nylander.

But as far as sending something back, it would have to be meager. If there is any intrigue on the part of Holland, it would be because Nylander would be a low-risk acquisition that would cost him little. Thats the type of move that a Wings team in transition can afford. Anything else looks like too much of a risk right now.

I'm pretty sure the main thing with Nylander is the Caps want that salary off the books(as much as possible, if they can't get iot all taken, they probably will settle for some) so they can pursue other options as they are close to the salary cap but need a few pieces to compete with the Pens and probably Flyers in the East.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.