HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

OT: Running the Power Play

Old
11-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
OT: Running the Power Play

So my hockey season starts in three weeks and I am on a beginner league again but this time around I am being asked to do something I haven't done before... tell beginners how to run the power play

So fellow coaches and players... how do I go about this? Because they are beginners, I want to run an umbrella style, allowing more players to be close enough to actually have a decent chance at scoring considering most of them really don't know how to shoot hard. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Thanks guys and gals.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
deleted

Considering they're beginners it's probably a bit out of their skill level. I would just practice some basic stuff with them on the power play ie:

- Stay in your general position and don't be running around all over
- If a defender is challenging a teammate get to an opening to accept a pass or help battle for the puck if necessary
- Make accurate crisp passes
- Depending on which side of the ice the puck is on, the opposite winger can go to the net, but make sure they know they have to cover their side still
- Teach the D when and when not to pinch, and make sure the forwards know to cover the D if needed

Trying to teach them an actual system will probably get pretty chaotic.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Create a video of several Predators powerplays. Show them this tape while remembering to tell them to do the exact opposite of whatever is happening on screen.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

The best place to ask is probably over in The Rink.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:01 PM
predfan24

i assume your talking about beginning adult league team and i have to say your first mistake is even thinking about confusing these people more with things like powerplay. The only thing beginners should be focusing on is basic skills and skating and positioning/strategy. Even if they studied diff powerplay systems and learned them all by heart it wouldn't matter because they wouldn't be able to execute it properly.

I pretty much agree with what slanted wrote. Teach to not run around and chase the puck. Brand new players in adult league always look like Mites. They just float towards the puck no matter what position they play. Teach to make yourself available for a pass. Teach D-men when to pinch and use the boards to get the puck deep if they are pressured and don't have time to look up and make a play. Just basic stuff. I wouldn't go into systems or anything.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote