HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Lightning @ Islanders l Gm.3 l3-0 Bolts l Bolts Lead 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Drury77

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
GDT: Lightning @ Islanders l Gm.3 l 04/12/04 l 7 ET

1st RD. STANLEY CUP Playoffs -- -- GM. 1

VS

Tampa Bay Lightning

vs.

New York Islanders

Series Tied 1-1 (ESPN)

Tampa Bay Lightning 2003-2004 Complete Schedule/Results

New York Islanders 2003-2004 Complete Schedule/Results

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS

Islanders: 38-29-11-4, 91 points.
*3rd Place in Atlantic Division, 8th Place in Eastern Conference.*
vs.
Lightning: 46-22-8-6, 106 points.
*1st Place in Southeast Division, 1st Place in Eastern Conference.*

REGULAR SEASON SERIES

Islanders lead 3-1-0
Nov. 20: at Lightning 3, Islanders 2
Dec. 9: at Islanders 5, Lightning 2
Mar. 16: Islanders 3 at Lightning 1
Mar. 21: at Islanders 3, Lightning 0

@ The Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum l Uniondale, NY
St. Pete Times Forum l Tampa, FL

Monday, April 12th, 2004, 7:00 pm ET.

GAME 1: NYI 0, @ TAM 3
Recap | Box Score

GAME 2: NYI 3, @ TAM 0
Recap | Box Score

GAME 3: TAM @ NYI
4/12 Mon., 7:00 PM

GAME 4: TAM @ NYI
4/14 Wed., ESPN, 7:00 PM

*GAME 5: NYI , @ TAM
4/16, Fri, 7:30 PM, ESPN

*GAME 6: TAM @ NYI
4/17, 7 PM

*GAME 7: NYI , @ TAM
4/19, 7:30 PM, ESPN2

* - if necessary
All times Eastern

Live Score!

IMPORTANT GAMEDAY LINKS!!

*Live Game Audio
*ESPN LIVE Scoreboard
*Live NHL Scoreboard
*Live General Sports Scoreboard
*Yahoo Tampa Page
*Yahoo Islander Page
*Sportsline Tampa Page
*Sportsline Islander Page
*Yahoo NHL Photo Gallery
*Sportsline NHL Photo Gallery

(***Please note that some links will only work on GAME DAY***)

Old
04-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Riggins

2-0 Tampa Bay at the end of the 1st

Richards (Boyle, Lukowich) PP
St. Louis (Richards, Modin)

Old
04-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Hockeyfan02

Lightning took it to the Isles in the first 10 minutes of the game. Completely different game from the first two in Tampa. Lightning seemed to have a lot more space in the neutral zone. Lightning went to the front and its paying off. Richards with a tip goal on the PP off a stupid penalty by Blake. No need to hit Sydor when he was on his knees near the boards and it cost his team. Peca and Hamrlik lost St. Louis when the pass went behind the net leaving St. Louis wide open for a one timer. Parrish must be wondering what he has to do because he got robbed by Khabibulin on another tip right in front of the net just like game 1. Dipietro made a game saving save on a Richards wrap around or it would have been 3-0.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Rschmitz

Looks like Cullys out for the game.

Lecavalier is looking really sluggish; not getting involved and when hes near the net he isn't anticipating the play. He got caught with one hand on his own stick on that little squibler through the crease that DiPietro saved.

Other than that, good game so far

Old
04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Rschmitz

Ladies and Gentlemen, the DiPietro dive. I think I seen DiPietro laugh after that, it was so pathethic I think he even knew it. He just collapsed, I sure hope he didn't hurt himself

Old
04-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Hockeyfan02

Lightning win 3-0. St Louis scored 2 and Richards scored one so the big guns finally came through for the Bolts. All 3 games have been 3-0. Khabibulin came up big tonight to hold the lead and the Lightning played much better and being able to establish their forecheck better than the previous two games.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:40 PM
PAKO

The Isles will win the next game 3-0

Old
04-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Rschmitz

Lightning solved the Isles; now Sterling needs to prove his worth and counter. If he doesn't change anything for game 4, I think the Lightning win big again. Throw some wrinkles at the Lightning and see if they can counter.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Islanders4Cups

Excellent effort by the Lightning early who took the Isles and the crowd out of it early and took complete control of this series. All the folks who proclaimed this series over are eating those words right now.

Terrible effort by the Isles tonight who have proven again they can be good or they can be bad. They better get this funk out of their system fast or TB will make a short series of it.

Also, excellent goaltending performance by Khabibulin. Tonight, one mistake would have let the crowd right back in it. Two shutouts in three games in the playoffs.

Ouch!

Old
04-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Islanders4Cups

Excellent effort by the Lightning early who took the Isles and the crowd out of it early and took complete control of this series. All the folks who proclaimed this series over are eating those words right now.

Terrible effort by the Isles tonight who have proven again they can be good or they can be bad. They better get this funk out of their system fast or TB will make a short series of it.

Also, excellent goaltending performance by Khabibulin. Tonight, one mistake would have let the crowd right back in it. Two shutouts in three games in the playoffs.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:07 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
Lightning solved the Isles; now Sterling needs to prove his worth and counter. If he doesn't change anything for game 4, I think the Lightning win big again. Throw some wrinkles at the Lightning and see if they can counter.

Bolts stepped up their game after their players only meeting.Their key scorers broke through,while the isles key guys(Yashin,Hunter,Parrish)were again nonproductive.TB pk had better scoring chances then the isles pp

BTW,the only thing that matters is the final score whether it's 10-1 or 1-0 but I'd hardly call 3 goals,one an empty netter 'winning big".

Pressure is back on the Isles for Weds game.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Tampa Bay sure was as impressive in their "bounceback" game as NYI was in their's (game 2). Defense wins playoff games, and TB's was superb. This was a "TB game," they were the quicker team, and their transition was much more effective. Getting out of Tampa was good for them.

Likewise, Tortorella found a way to open up the ice for his skilled players. Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards had more room than in the first two games combined. Stirling and Isles must re-find and answer in Game 4.

Khabibulin was good, but was even more impressed with their team d overall.

Lecavalier, Richard and St. Louis, TBS top offensive guns responded tonight and led their team. Will NYI's "top" offensive players do same on Wednesday? Yashin, Chow, etc., we're still waiting....

Have so far seen three Eastern conference games this playoff season that were near-perfect performances by one team. Bruins Game One of their series, Sens Game One v. Toronto and tonight. Can't play a much better road game. (Isles' Game Two was up there as well.)

Dipietro needs to cut the Mike Ribeiro-like acting. (Crossbar tilting over on him.) He's better than that, and it cheapens the game.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:01 PM
hgo

The Islanders were there again today. It's just that Khabby was too. God knows what'll happen come Game 4...

Old
04-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
You know whats funny before this game I said to a friend that the game would be 3-0 but I didn't really say the team, but Lightning was implied. I also made 3 interesting bets with a buddy back home. The first was $20 that TB would win the series, $20 that Lecavalier would not get a goal in the playoffs and $40 that he wouldn't score in the series. Beat the Iles

Old
04-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Quote:
Looks like Cullys out for the game.

Lecavalier is looking really sluggish; not getting involved and when hes near the net he isn't anticipating the play. He got caught with one hand on his own stick on that little squibler through the crease that DiPietro saved.

Other than that, good game so far
I have been saying all along that Vinny has looked so terrible, and I am so sure he won't score this series I bet against it and I also be my friend he would not score the whole playoffs. He doesn't get playoff hockey at all. He shows no grit, hart, effort, and he isn't skating well either. I'm hoping he gets scratched, every player on this team IMO should have more ice-time then him right now. It would be different if he was just having a tough time and he was working hard, but he's playing like the Daigle of old, the person who couldn't care less about hockey. In the last 8 years of watching my fav player(Lecavalier) this is some of the worst play I have ever seen from him. He will always be my fav, but he doesn't deserve 1st or 2nd line ice-time until he shows he knows its the playoffs and how important it is to give 110% Glad St. Louis knew the importance of the games and stepped up his play accordingly! As for vinny he needs lots of because he should be watching from the press box!

Old
04-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Brentfax

This teams habit of slow starts caught up with them tonight and they could never get into a groove. This is why I felt Webb should be in and playing a few shifts at the start of the game. He can be a catalyst to get the team rolling right away ang getting the opposition off theirs.
Bottom line Tampa played better and deserved the win tonight. Their top offensive guys produced tonight, I'm beginning to wonder if the Isle's have top notch talented NHL offensive players, I haven't seen it so far.
Khabibulin is at the top of his game right now and you have to put traffic in front to beat him, none of that tonight. I don't know if the opportunities didn't materialize tonight but our D did not jump up in the offensive zone tonight either and we need that to be successful.
The only positive is if we can win game four, I think we are wearing this team down (cullimore out) and in a long series it is to our advantage. Bring on Webb and give him a chance.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
He doesn't get playoff hockey at all. He shows no grit, hart, effort, and he isn't skating well either. I'm hoping he gets scratched, every player on this team IMO should have more ice-time then him right now.

Did you watch the first series last year, he wasn't all that bad.

I don't like the way Lecavalier plays, sometimes he just drifts; other times he has a vendetta to single handedly win the game all by himself. He either gives 110%, or none at all. If he gave all he got everytime he hit the ice, St.Louis might have some serious competition for the Hart trophey.

I want to see him start pitching in defensivly, husteling, fighting for loose pucks, play with more desire. Maybe watching St.Louis has made me jelous, because quite honestly I think Richards and Stillman suffer in those areas as well.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Khabibulin was good, but was even more impressed with their team d overall.
True, they kept most of the shots to the outside, made life easy for Khabi. Never a bad thing!

I'm always happy to see my "one dimensional team" who "can't adjust" prove the critics wrong once again. (various comments I've seen around HF boards)

Quote:
Dipietro needs to cut the Mike Ribeiro-like acting. (Crossbar tilting over on him.) He's better than that, and it cheapens the game.
That was mighty cheesy, I saw the bar hit him, and thought it must have hit him harder than it first appeared, but the replay just made me roll my eyes. Guess he just needed a little break?

Old
04-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Rschmitz

Reminded me of when the old man pushed Gary Roberts; and Roberts looked like he'd been shot in the back by a lugar. Has diving ever been called on the goalie before?

I'd pay to hear the conversation between the trainer and DiPietro.

Old
04-13-2004, 05:44 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Quote:
Did you watch the first series last year, he wasn't all that bad.
Yes I watched last year, and maybe thats why I am not very happy, he played quite well in that first series.

Old
04-13-2004, 08:14 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, the DiPietro dive. I think I seen DiPietro laugh after that, it was so pathethic I think he even knew it. He just collapsed, I sure hope he didn't hurt himself
you sound like the brutal tandem of announcers on the sunshine network. if you watch the play again, you'll see czerkawski's stick whack dipietro in the back of the neck. i think that might sting a little.

Old
04-13-2004, 08:36 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I'm glad an Isles fan said so. That was terrible. Not as bad as Ribeiro, but still ... that kind of crap has no place in hockey. (Unless you play for the Leafs, apparently.)

Old
04-13-2004, 08:44 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
I have been saying all along that Vinny has looked so terrible ...
Yes, we know. I think you've started a thread along those lines on every single board on HF.

The kid's fighting it in the offensive zone right now, and the desire hasn't been there. He's not fighting through the checks, he's not skating hard and he's unwilling to go into the high-traffic areas and take a beating.

But the idea of scratching him is ludicrous.

First, he's not hurting his team defensively. In fact, he's backchecked very well so far in the series. And second, you simply never know when he's going to explode offensively. Maybe it'll happen and maybe it won't, but you just don't take your most skilled player with arguably the best shot on the team and sit him in the press box during the playoffs. Not when he's playing responsibly without the puck.

Would I like to see Lecavalier battle harder? Absolutely. Would I like to see his minutes handed over to Tim Taylor and/or Eric Perrin? Not a chance in hell.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:21 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

I'd pay to hear the conversation between the trainer and DiPietro.
Rick get up,you're scaring the hell out of Isles fans

Old
04-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Timmy1973

It seems whomever wins gets a victory hangover. Hopefully the Lightning break this trend next game.
Last night the Lightning commentators were talking about the arena on Long Island and its relavitely small capacity for today's NHL. Are there plans for the Isles getting a new home in the future?

Closed Thread