HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Draft trading partners

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 07:18 PM
GorillazXL

vCash: 500
Draft trading partners

If Lowe wanted to move up in this upcoming draft, which team would be best suited to make a deal with.

IMO Florida or Carolina would be the best trading partners. Florida could use a defensive stalwart like Smith on their blue line, and Carolina could use NHL depth type players.

GXL

Old
04-11-2004, 07:40 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
If Lowe wanted to move up in this upcoming draft, which team would be best suited to make a deal with.

IMO Florida or Carolina would be the best trading partners. Florida could use a defensive stalwart like Smith on their blue line, and Carolina could use NHL depth type players.

GXL
I think you would have to pick a team that has been losing for a few years, and would rather add a solid veteren that would make an immediate impact rather than another youngster. I think we could convince a team like Florida to trade with us.

Old
04-11-2004, 08:24 PM
outKast*

NYR would appreciate having 2 more 1st rounders.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
NYR would appreciate having 2 more 1st rounders.
I'm pretty sure the Rangers will be looking to move up rather than trade down..

Old
04-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Mizral

I think the best option might be either Phoenix or the Ducks

Why? The Yotes have a ton of youth and might be looking to add to their blueline, and could use a solid veteran (say, Smith). The issue here is that I don't know if they would want to trade with a perceived rival in Edmonton.

The Ducks I'm sure think they are good enough to make the playoffs with the team they have right now, they might be interested in adding to their blueline too. Again, might not want to trade since they could be playoff rivals.

I don't think any lower-seeded Eastern team is interested in trading down at all.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Seachd

I'm actually starting to form an opinion on the draft. I say if the Oilers can't trade into the top 10 and/or Schremp, Tukonen, and maybe Picard/Thelen are off the board, then someone like Schwarz or Montoya makes a lot of sense for the first pick. And the way things are shaping up, it wouldn't be that surprising if at least one of them is available (not based on talent, but need).

For the second pick, I wouldn't mind too much if a Kitchener Ranger was taken. McGrath has loads of talent, and although he hasn't had a stellar year, he might be a good pick later in the round. But I might prefer Boris Valabik. The guy's a monster, and while the Oilers might not need another big, mean d-man, I'm not sure it would hurt.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:37 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'm actually starting to form an opinion on the draft. I say if the Oilers can't trade into the top 10 and/or Schremp, Tukonen, and maybe Picard/Thelen are off the board, then someone like Schwarz or Montoya makes a lot of sense for the first pick. And the way things are shaping up, it wouldn't be that surprising if at least one of them is available (not based on talent, but need).

For the second pick, I wouldn't mind too much if a Kitchener Ranger was taken. McGrath has loads of talent, and although he hasn't had a stellar year, he might be a good pick later in the round. But I might prefer Boris Valabik. The guy's a monster, and while the Oilers might not need another big, mean d-man, I'm not sure it would hurt.
I agree with you and McGrath. I hope the Oilers draft him at 24th. If the Oilers get Picard and McGrath....the draft would be a success.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Mizral

I really doubt McGrath drops QUITE that far, despite his lousy playoffs.

I'd like to see one of Ladd, Picard, or Green with the 1st of the two 1st round picks, and something like Shultz or perhaps even Dubynk.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:59 AM
YKOil

Well...

...I still think that Carolina is looking to move up rather than move down (as they are the host team) however I won't exclude them from this analysis.

Carolina (8) & Atlanta (10) are both teams that may trade based on forward depth:

- best bait to dangle is Chimera, Rita and Henrich (purely as a throw in)
- best trade is with Atlanta:

24/25th & Rita
FOR
10th

- trade I could live with:

24/25th, Rita & Chimera
FOR
8th

Florida (7th) is a team that may trade based on defensive requirements and wanting to take the next step:

- best bait to dangle is Smith, Staois or Cross
- best trade is (but will never happen):

14th & Cross
FOR
7th

I do NOT like the idea of the Florida trade EXCEPT where Cross is the main guy on the block - Smith is still a need for us for at LEAST next year while Woytwika & Lynch continue to gain experience and play as call-ups for the big club.

That leaves, for me, a trade with Atlanta.

They just haven't had enough drafts to load up on forwards like they need to - Kozlov and McEachern are getting on in years and losing effectiveness and other than Slater they have no one (of any note) ready to take a spot on that roster. Rita would be able to step in with them right away.

I still say that the trick isn't to trade the 14th to move up - it is to trade the 24/25th. THAT is where we make a splash - and we don't lose any valuable defensive depth to boot.

YKOil

Old
04-12-2004, 04:08 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
14th & Cross
FOR
7th

I do NOT like the idea of the Florida trade EXCEPT where Cross is the main guy on the block - Smith is still a need for us for at LEAST next year while Woytwika & Lynch continue to gain experience and play as call-ups for the big club.

YKOil
Keep dreaming, Cross does not have that kind of value. Simple as that.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:43 AM
KlingonHockey

I pity the Chimera, Rita, Cross and Isbister "trading chips". We're eager to give these guys up for a reason and other teams likely value them as much as we do. The only guys I could see garnering any sort of value are the enigmas (Rita, Chimera) and even then I don't see their value being that high as they currently stink. The risk/reward doesn't seem to be there either with neither looking like they've got significant upside so they'd be a tough sell as "guys that stink now but have the potential to bloom later."

Realistically, if we want top picks we should expect to feel the sting of having to offer up guys like Semenov, Bergeron, Lynch and maybe Torres. Jason Smith is perhaps the only legitimate trading chip I wouldn't be sad to see go.

Actually, what I think would be a hot move would be some combination of top 50 picks + Dvorak for a top 4 (I'm thinking of the Pitkanen deal here as a benchmark, which actually may be unfair because that was a steal). Dvorak put up decent numbers this year, has some nice moves but unfortunately suffers from the same petrification-of-the-hands-when-presented-with-a-golden-scoring-opportunity that half this roster seems to have.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:52 PM
outKast*

Chimera = waiver fodder
Cross = no value what so ever. no team wants him. good depth guy though.
Isbister = little value. max 3rd rounder for him. expensive 3rd liner.
Rita = has value because of his potential. it's up the organization if they want to let him go.

If we pull off a Moreau + 2nd rounders for a top 5 i would be happy. (Fedotenko 2 second rounders for Pitkanen) with the top 5 the Oilers get Barker.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
If we pull off a Moreau + 2nd rounders for a top 5 i would be happy. (Fedotenko 2 second rounders for Pitkanen) with the top 5 the Oilers get Barker.
Except where are we gonna find two second rounders, and where are we gonna find a rookie GM willing to pawn off a top 5 pick like Feaster was???

Old
04-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Mizral

Couple things you should know about this draft:

#1 - The bottom half of the 1st round is a real big dropoff compared to the top half, especially when you compare it to 2001, 2002, and 2003.

#2 - There aren't many teams this year willing to trade down too far (maybe a team like the Jackets would trade inside of 5 spots, but that's about it).

And, finally, #3 - The 2nd round picks are worth much much less than they were last year.

What does this mean?

Trading the Philly pick to move way up is going to be difficult, and trading 2nd and 3rd rounders with the 1st pick and moving up might be tougher too.

YKOil's trades I think were undervaluing the top picks, but here's some stuff I could see:

Both Oilers 1st round picks for the #6 or 7 pick.

The picks up there in the top 6 especially are really great prospects, all of them are really top notch guys. Then again, it's rough to trade *BOTH* 1st rounders to do that, but I get the feeling these top picks this year are going to cost more than in the past due to the talent dropoff in the draft (this really isn't Canada's best year).

Old
04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Mr Sakich

spectors says that Pittsburgh's 2nd overall pick is up for grabs. They were counting on a marketing plan featuring ovenchicken. The oilers love Malkin as much as everyone else loves OC so I could see them making a real push for that pick.

We are good trading partners as the oil have a lot of young cheap talent and lots of prospects (3rd best in the NHL according to a well respected hockey web site).

Pouliott + a 1st for the 2nd overall??

Niniimaki and a 1st for the 2nd overall?

Miknov and a 1st for the 2nd overall?

Woywitka and a 1st for the 2nd overall?

If Lowe thinks that Lynch and Woywitka are ready, how about Semenov for that pick?

Old
04-12-2004, 02:49 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
Where did you hear that the 2nd OA pick is available?

Old
04-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

If the 2nd pick is up for grabs, I think all teams will be able to put a package together that could match the Oilers. However, in pure participatory obligations, I will put my proposal up...

Pens #2 Overall Pick (Malkin)

for

Oilers 1st Rounder (14th), Jessi Ninimmaki, Steve Staios and Jason Chimera.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
spectors says that Pittsburgh's 2nd overall pick is up for grabs. They were counting on a marketing plan featuring ovenchicken. The oilers love Malkin as much as everyone else loves OC so I could see them making a real push for that pick.

We are good trading partners as the oil have a lot of young cheap talent and lots of prospects (3rd best in the NHL according to a well respected hockey web site).

Pouliott + a 1st for the 2nd overall??

Niniimaki and a 1st for the 2nd overall?

Miknov and a 1st for the 2nd overall?

Woywitka and a 1st for the 2nd overall?

If Lowe thinks that Lynch and Woywitka are ready, how about Semenov for that pick?
Not in this lifetime . . . Pens will take Malkin, bank on it. We are set in goal for a decade, and have surplus NHL ready goaltending talent to trade. Defensive prospects are deep and talented, perhaps among the best in hockey. Only lacking in sniper first line quality forwards though have many 2nd and third liner types, real lack is a sniper center to replace Mario, and there he is, Malkin. Again, fanatasize all you wish to but mark it and bank on it, those trades will not happen. Craig Patrick has said as much though the obligatory 'we will listen to offers' has been said by our chief scout, Malone, not CP, just as McPhee said the same with Ovechkin.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 04-12-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old
04-12-2004, 07:14 PM
YKOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

YKOil's trades I think were undervaluing the top picks, but here's some stuff I could see:

Both Oilers 1st round picks for the #6 or 7 pick.

The picks up there in the top 6 especially are really great prospects, all of them are really top notch guys. Then again, it's rough to trade *BOTH* 1st rounders to do that, but I get the feeling these top picks this year are going to cost more than in the past due to the talent dropoff in the draft (this really isn't Canada's best year).
Mizral is probably correct - I am probably undervaluing anything after the first two picks. I expect this to be a crazy draft year as so much seems to be up in the air.

- Schrempf and Picard don't even figure in Redline's top-10 yet people are treating them (per another thread) as surefire top-10 picks.
- Only one d-man is listed in top-10 anywhere (Barker) so where does that leave Smid? (among others) Is Barker the ONLY d-man anyone is high on?
- How many teams are going to try to score a hat-trick with an offensive forward before one of them chooses safer bets in Schwarz and Montoya?

etc.

That is why I may be undervaluing the picks between #7 and #13 - this year could be a lot like last year when a Parise fell all the way to 17th. The only sure bet this year us that teams will be gambling all the way - bet on it.

YKOil

Old
04-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
- Schrempf and Picard don't even figure in Redline's top-10 yet people are treating them (per another thread) as surefire top-10 picks.
Redline is the work of one very opinionated scout. He likes to move some guys way up on his lists and leaves some right off. He had Kastitsyn first last year. He is right some times, but likes to take big risks with his list. I wouldn't quote Redline as a very reliable source, but some of his gambles turned out to be right on.

Quote:
- Only one d-man is listed in top-10 anywhere (Barker) so where does that leave Smid? (among others) Is Barker the ONLY d-man anyone is high on?
Actually Thelen looks to be a good bet to be selected in the top ten as well. Now that he'll be opting in because the NCAA changed the draft eligibility, look for him to be on more lists.

Quote:
- How many teams are going to try to score a hat-trick with an offensive forward before one of them chooses safer bets in Schwarz and Montoya?
Read my thread on JDD becoming the Oilers starter and then decide if you still consider a goalie to be a safe bet in the first round.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Redline is the work of one very opinionated scout. He likes to move some guys way up on his lists and leaves some right off. He had Kastitsyn first last year. He is right some times, but likes to take big risks with his list. I wouldn't quote Redline as a very reliable source, but some of his gambles turned out to be right on.
And for whatever reason, he has a huge hate on for Schremp. I'd be extremely surprised if Schremp doesn't go top ten.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Lowetide

As an aside, Redline and the Oilers rarely agree. Hemsky and Pouliot were both about #40 rlr in their draft year.

As far as trades are concerned, does anyone think the Oilers might package their 2nd 1st rounder with some prospects and get a guy who can help right away?

I think MacT's comments about having someone like Nedved were pretty telling. If they don't sign him, I can see a couple of players and that pick going somewhere for a player who is already in the NHL (but likely younger than Nedved).

Old
04-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
As an aside, Redline and the Oilers rarely agree. Hemsky and Pouliot were both about #40 rlr in their draft year.

As far as trades are concerned, does anyone think the Oilers might package their 2nd 1st rounder with some prospects and get a guy who can help right away?

I think MacT's comments about having someone like Nedved were pretty telling. If they don't sign him, I can see a couple of players and that pick going somewhere for a player who is already in the NHL (but likely younger than Nedved).
I could potentially see them do that if Nedved chose not to resign for cheaper than his option. However, I personally wouldn't be happy with the move unless it brought back in a young centerman with quite a bit of upside. I can't think of any guys off the top of my head that would be a viable return for something like Philly's first + Rita.. maybe Langkow? I would be very annoyed if we dealt away the pick to grab an older centerman..

Old
04-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Mr Sakich

[QUOTE=lowetide]

QUOTE]

Didn't Lowe talk about having sufficient depth in the organizatin to make a big move? It is pretty tough to trade away kids when they are your future and you have an average farm system. It is a lot different when you have the 3rd best crop of youngsters.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:17 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I could see that Philly pick being moved for help now - but I hope that Rita isn't traded, but that Lowe signs him to a one-way deal and explains to MacT that you don't have to either A) play like MacT to get into the lineup and help or B) give MacT sexual favours to get into the lineup (can anybody think of a more logical explanation for Ferguson?????)

Closed Thread