HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Taffe called up, Ellerby possily next to fill in for Allen

Old
10-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Taffe called up, Ellerby possily next to fill in for Allen

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...e-up-next.html

10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I could be a smartass and say the entire Rochester roster should be called up to replace the Panther roster but I'll try to resist the impulse, oops!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:25 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I'm thinking Taffe will replace Koistinen and he will ride the pine, either that or Allen is feeling serious discomfort and Koisty will play on the back end. My money is on the first one. Taffe is a gamer and he'll come play hard, which is nothing more we can ask for from these guys.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
panthertod

Mr Koistinen, meet Mr pressbox.

panthertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
God dammit.. Just waive Koistinen already! Anyone remember me calling him a mistake when we signed him?

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
God dammit.. Just waive Koistinen already! Anyone remember me calling him a mistake when we signed him?
Uhhh... I don't think anybody on this board was "jumping for joy" over the Koistinen signing..

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Uhhh... I don't think anybody on this board was "jumping for joy" over the Koistinen signing..
Yeah, it was quite the head scratcher.

On GR's Live Chat the other night, I asked him what changes were going to possibly be made that Sexton talked about and he just said that we'll likely be seeing some guys on waivers coming up. Wonder if Ville will be one of those.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:12 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
no, but that means nothing. we aren't freakin' waiving him, even if coach isn't thrilled with him so far.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Georgia Panther

Guys that could be put on waivers (not necessarily claimed on waivers either)

Volkoun (and would go unclaimed because of contract. If you want to move him you need to trade him and take a like amount of money back in player and/or players)

Stillman (see Vokoun)

Allen (and would go unclaimed because of length of contract and injury concern)

Koistinen (iffy but I think would go unclaimed because of 2 year contract)

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 10-29-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old
10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post

Olesz-He's playing decently so I don't think they would want to just give him away to get rid of his contract but according to reports JM did just that last season and he went unclaimed.
Olesz was NOT on waivers, dude.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Olesz was NOT on waivers, dude.
I read it somewhere last season and just did a google search and can't find it so I edited it out of my post because I can't point to evidence that that was true.

Old
10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Would someone please give us some info on Taffe? What kind of physical presence would he bring? Thanks.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Would someone please give us some info on Taffe? What kind of physical presence would he bring? Thanks.
Scouting Report
Assets

* Has excellent size, grit and hustle. Will hold his own in physical contests and owns the versatility to play either center or wing.

Flaws

* Has not been able to put points on the board regularly at the highest level. Questionable hockey sense is at the root of his troubles in the NHL.

Career Potential

* Fourth line forward.

Old
10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
None.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

I think I'll listen to GP on this one. Thanks.

Old
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Hey, all I did was google Jeff Taffe and Scouting Report!

Old
10-29-2009, 06:10 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Yes, don't listen to someone who has watched him all season. He has no physical presence. It's not his game at all.

Old
10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

GP's a lunatic. But he's MY lunatic!

Old
10-29-2009, 06:58 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Yes, don't listen to someone who has watched him all season. He has no physical presence. It's not his game at all.
Yep. Taffe is like a taller Ryan Johnson. Can skate pretty well and is sound defensively, but has hands of stone.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

So...why bring him up? Best we've got left?

Old
10-29-2009, 10:58 PM
zeroG

Quote:
So...why bring him up? Best we've got left?
you have matthias but apparently they want him to earn it. i'd agree. there's brine too but apparently they feel taffe is the next guy in line for a call up.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:21 AM
keithLGA

Taffe is on a two way contract this season and one way next. I imagine they want to get him some action and familiar with some of the guys.

sabrefan27 was correct in saying he does not play physical.

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:04 AM
SeasonTicket

Nice to see what Rochester fans think of the Panthers.

http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/fo...ad.php?t=12360

Re: Jeff Taffe Called Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us have continued to say, only 2 Calder Cups would make us change our minds about keeping Florida around. they have some decent talent in the pipeline...but geez, they just aren't a good fit here in rochester at all. Its just plain wrong for a pedigreed AHL pillar like us to be partnered with a struggling, identity-less fledgling from Miami, Florida. It doesn't even sound right.
Injuries happen to every team, so it isn't just that (what is happening to us this week). Its just the whole package. When you see the label 'made in Florida' on anything hockey...it just doesn't pass the sniff test. They might very well be a good fit for another AHL team, but not us.I will also freely admit that all the above is mostly emotional, not too rational or logical---but its just the way I feel about it. Can't explain it anymore than why I prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla. they are both good...I just prefer one over the other.
Now---concentrating on the business at hand---we are still 8-1-1 and only 1 game to focus on between today and next Friday. Good teams manage to keep winning throughout adversity. I think we just may be one of those teams...if Florida will leave us alone now, for a little while. And we still all need to be good ambassadors of the team so the lost fans will find their way back home to the BCA again.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
Nice to see what Rochester fans think of the Panthers.

http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/fo...ad.php?t=12360

Re: Jeff Taffe Called Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us have continued to say, only 2 Calder Cups would make us change our minds about keeping Florida around. they have some decent talent in the pipeline...but geez, they just aren't a good fit here in rochester at all. Its just plain wrong for a pedigreed AHL pillar like us to be partnered with a struggling, identity-less fledgling from Miami, Florida. It doesn't even sound right.
Injuries happen to every team, so it isn't just that (what is happening to us this week). Its just the whole package. When you see the label 'made in Florida' on anything hockey...it just doesn't pass the sniff test. They might very well be a good fit for another AHL team, but not us.I will also freely admit that all the above is mostly emotional, not too rational or logical---but its just the way I feel about it. Can't explain it anymore than why I prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla. they are both good...I just prefer one over the other.
Now---concentrating on the business at hand---we are still 8-1-1 and only 1 game to focus on between today and next Friday. Good teams manage to keep winning throughout adversity. I think we just may be one of those teams...if Florida will leave us alone now, for a little while. And we still all need to be good ambassadors of the team so the lost fans will find their way back home to the BCA again.
Man, Amerks fans are a bunch of whiners.... Seriously, they cry about everything it seems.

Florida has been absolutely VERY well intentioned in their affiliation with Rochester. Did they make some mistakes, absolutely, and some BIG ones at that, but what did you expect from a team who was just getting their first affiliation in several years. They have quickly righted the ship and done everything in their power to try to staff Rochester with some good veteran and rookie players. Hey, lets face it, our prospect pool isn't horrible either.

keithLGA, do you have a source for the post about Taffe's contract being one way next year? I'm not doubting you, but I'd just like to see it because that would be incredibly stupid for the Panthers to do IMO.

Mogo, you seriously think that anyone would claim Koistinen? You've got to be kidding man...

Rattrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Man, Amerks fans are a bunch of whiners.... Seriously, they cry about everything it seems.

Florida has been absolutely VERY well intentioned in their affiliation with Rochester. Did they make some mistakes, absolutely, and some BIG ones at that, but what did you expect from a team who was just getting their first affiliation in several years. They have quickly righted the ship and done everything in their power to try to staff Rochester with some good veteran and rookie players. Hey, lets face it, our prospect pool isn't horrible either.

keithLGA, do you have a source for the post about Taffe's contract being one way next year? I'm not doubting you, but I'd just like to see it because that would be incredibly stupid for the Panthers to do IMO.

Mogo, you seriously think that anyone would claim Koistinen? You've got to be kidding man...
Well intentioned is great, but results are all that matters. Florida has been affiliated with Rochester during probably their worst stretch in 50+ years. You can't really expect the fans to warm up to them.