HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part V

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2009, 12:46 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
damn, i was about to pick boucher as an assistant coach. whatever.

Old
11-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
shawnmullin is skipped.

BRG takes Roberto Luongo.

EB takes Herb Brooks.

VCL is up.

I can take lists from anyone who is coming up soon.
Thanks for making my pick 70s. IMO Luongo is one of the better back-ups in the draft. We don't fault guys like Rayner or Worters too much for being on bad teams, so I think Luongo fits right in there as well. He hasn't won a Hart like those guys have, but we can say for sure that during his era(let's say, the 2000s), he's been one of the top-5 goalies(and that's a conservative rating on my part, I personally would put him at #2). I'm not sure you can confidently say that about either Worters or Rayner. He does lack a playoff record, but when he has made it, he's been dynamite.

Old
11-01-2009, 12:54 AM
MXD

C/RW/LW Charley McVeigh

Old
11-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Oh, guess I'm up again. Since mullin already has a skipped pick, guess I'll pm Nalyd as well.

Anyway, the New York Golden Blades select D Joe Watson.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:40 AM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Thanks for making my pick 70s. IMO Luongo is one of the better back-ups in the draft. We don't fault guys like Rayner or Worters too much for being on bad teams, so I think Luongo fits right in there as well. He hasn't won a Hart like those guys have, but we can say for sure that during his era(let's say, the 2000s), he's been one of the top-5 goalies(and that's a conservative rating on my part, I personally would put him at #2). I'm not sure you can confidently say that about either Worters or Rayner. He does lack a playoff record, but when he has made it, he's been dynamite.

Anyways, I haven't been drinking or anything else illegal (), so no "drunk pick" excuses here, but it is Halloween night I'm tired as crap, and I'm not sure what I'll think of these picks tomorrow morning. Whatever.

The Jets take LW Craig Simpson and G Curtis Joseph.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

The Rosebuds select right wing Pud Glass. Can someone please PM the next GM for me?

Old
11-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Rzeznik

I'm here, pick coming in a little bit.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:40 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
I'll pick C Billy Reay

sorry for being skipped I'm on the road and thought I'd have better access

Old
11-01-2009, 01:47 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
From what I can tell he is still available so I'm happy to add RW Jim Peplinski as well.

Old
11-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Rzeznik

With their 20th selection in the 12th All-time draft, the Nova Scotia Voyageurs are pleased to go off the board to select a guy who was a major part of the original Ottawa Senators Cup wins back in the early 20th century. He can play both defense and wing, although for us he will be playing the point, and he is said to have been a very strong two-way defender, as well as very tough, as shown in his PIM totals. He also anchored the defense of the team that kicked my ass in MLD 11, from Ottawa, Ontario...

Hamby Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Hamilton Shore, known to all as 'Hamby' was born on February 12th, 1886 in Ottawa, Ontario. Shore, a versatile player that played both left wing and defense during his career, played Senior and semi-pro hockey for a few years but was forced to sit out the entire 1908-09 season due to illness. With his health restored he settled in with his hometown Ottawa Senators during the 1909-10 campaign.

Shore showed impeccable timing as he joined the Ottawa squad just in time to capture a Stanley Cup title, with Shore scoring three goals in the four game tournament. Shore had eight years of seniority with the Senators when the club joined the National Hockey League in 1917 following the folding of their previous loop, the National Hockey Association.

Shore played 20 games with the Senators in 1917-18 and scored three goals and 11 points. Tragically, his first NHL season was also his last. Just prior to the 1918-19 campaign, Shore, just 32 years old, died.

Old
11-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
In Part IV , there was some that were critical of Billy Reay as an ATD coach. Personally I think that he is a valid pick at this stage in a 32 team draft. Never won a cup but made several finals. Meanwhile we see other less successful non-cup winners like Cherry, Nielson 8& Quinn going ahead of him.
There's a difference between a non-cup winner and a bad coach.

The Nike Bauer hockey tournament is in Chicago next weekend, and Bobby Hull is usually there as an ambassador. Go ask him what he thinks of Raey

Old
11-01-2009, 05:01 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Ah, what a nice run tonight. Thanks to seventies for making my picks!

The Hartford Whalers select Ryan Smyth, LW, to complete a 4th line that's all heart, grit, determination and leadership (and more than adequate scoring talent).

And then the coach I wanted ever since all the top guys were taken, Alf Smith, coach.

Won the Cup as coach four times in a row (1903, 1904, 1905, 1906 - last three of them as playing coach) in the ancient era, leading the team to play extremely physical, Broadstreet Bullies style hockey.

Last edited by MadArcand: 11-01-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old
11-01-2009, 06:46 AM
JFA87-66-99

The Victoria Cougars Select Head Coach Lindy Ruff

I'm sick that Pud Glass & Hamby Shore got picked right before me

Old
11-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Transplanted Caper

Miners select Bill Hay, C.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
There's a difference between a non-cup winner and a bad coach.

The Nike Bauer hockey tournament is in Chicago next weekend, and Bobby Hull is usually there as an ambassador. Go ask him what he thinks of Raey
Is Hull still mad about this?

Quote:
Although Hull and Stapleton both left Chicago with bitter feelings toward top management, they still respect Reay. "If Billy had been running things himself," Hull once said, "I probably would never have left." It was Reay who, five years ago, ordered Hull to abandon his free-skating, gun-them-down style and play an orderly, conservative, close-checking left wing. And that undoubtedly added years to Hull's playing life.
Bobby Hull isn't on my team, and I'm not sure why his personal feelings should carry much weight when evaluating a coach. The players I have will be fine with Reay. Reay will also enjoy having an elite goalie who plays well in the playoffs.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:31 AM
God Bless Canada

Chaos' time is up. Overpass is now up, and he has been PMed.

And once overpass picks, if Cup has yet to make up his skipped pick from 19, then he will be skipped again, and LL will be up. (Even if Cup does make up that skipped pick, he'll be on a one-hour clock).

I also have a two-player list from EB. Who can take it?

Old
11-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Chaos' time is up. Overpass is now up, and he has been PMed.

And once overpass picks, if Cup has yet to make up his skipped pick from 19, then he will be skipped again, and LL will be up. (Even if Cup does make up that skipped pick, he'll be on a one-hour clock).

I can take it if you won't be around.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:37 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post

Bobby Hull isn't on my team, and I'm not sure why his personal feelings should carry much weight when evaluating a coach. The players I have will be fine with Reay. Reay will also enjoy having an elite goalie who plays well in the playoffs.
The flip side is that Bobby's brother Dennis is a huge Reay fan. "Billy Reay is the only coach I ever player for," Dennis Hull says during his stand-up storytelling routine. "I had other coaches, but Billy's the only one I played for."

Old
11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Leafs Forever

Quote:

Well it sounds like he doesn't want his offensive stars doing what they do best; which could be a concern.

From what Dreak told me, Bobby blamed that Chicago's inability to win more cups on Reay/coaching. Even if Hull is bitter towards Reat for how he used him, it's also concerning in my mind.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
overpass

RW Barney Stanley

Old
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I'm out of here in 2 hours, that list is still good.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:13 AM
God Bless Canada

Cup is skipped again. LL is up.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

skip me, i'll make it up tomorrow

Old
11-01-2009, 10:31 AM
EagleBelfour

I'm here to make my selection.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:17 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Yeah, I can say that with confidence about both Worters and Rayner, especially Rayner. But Luongo has been either the best or 2nd-best goalie of this decade, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post

Anyways, I haven't been drinking or anything else illegal (), so no "drunk pick" excuses here, but it is Halloween night I'm tired as crap, and I'm not sure what I'll think of these picks tomorrow morning. Whatever.

The Jets take LW Craig Simpson and G Curtis Joseph.
For once, Curtis Joseph gets selected when he's actually one of the 2-3 best goalies remaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
The Rosebuds select right wing Pud Glass. Can someone please PM the next GM for me?
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeznik View Post
With their 20th selection in the 12th All-time draft, the Nova Scotia Voyageurs are pleased to go off the board to select a guy who was a major part of the original Ottawa Senators Cup wins back in the early 20th century. He can play both defense and wing, although for us he will be playing the point, and he is said to have been a very strong two-way defender, as well as very tough, as shown in his PIM totals. He also anchored the defense of the team that kicked my ass in MLD 11, from Ottawa, Ontario...

Hamby Shore

Nice. Since he was part of a MLD finalist pairing and I knew he'd slip this far, part of me wanted to wait until 700 or so, and take him for my 3rd pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
The Victoria Cougars Select Head Coach Lindy Ruff
Nice. May he never fall to the MLD again.

Quote:
RW Barney Stanley
First off, don't think I'm slamming the pick. It's a good pick for this point. But there's a reason he fell to the same spot he always falls to, and all the other NHA/PCHA stars saw a healthy rise - his scoring achievements aren't really that great. He's not the worst hall of famer ever, but there are a few non-HHOFers of the era who I am sure were better. Bernie Morris is obvious, but there is also Odie Cleghorn. Plus three undrafted players who are definitely better, and four who are arguable.

Of course, using their offensive finishes isn't everything, and what else they brought to the game besides offense is important as well. Aside from Odie's toughness, none of the players I'm thinking of, including Stanley, were known for bringing much else to the table. And Stanley's offensive finishes aren't that great - 0-0-1-2-6 in goals (once top-10, twice top-15, six top-20) and 1-1-2-2-4 in assists (once top-2, once top-5...)

that pales in comparison to Jack walker, who, by offensive measures, is a really marginal HHOFer (he should still be in; his playoff and defensive prowess was among the best of the time) - Walker was always the 3rd-best player on his line. His finishes: 0-0-0-1-3 in goals, 1-2-3-6-9 in assists.

Closed Thread