HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 12 | Detroit Red Wings @ Calgary Flames | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D+ |

Old
10-31-2009, 11:28 PM
last_sd

vCash: 500
Yay Maltby!

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Maltby empty net!

Great game Wings.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Lol @ FSN-D Red Wings empty net.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yemack

who was that?

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Hitokiri

YEAH, above .500 for the first time this season

Hitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Birko19

Decent win, but boy this is gonna be a long season.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Ozzy has been rock solid.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Very efficient win.

Good job boys.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:32 PM
nik jr

really good win

held the highest scoring team to 1g.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Alright boys great game all around! We were solid in all three zones, hopefully we can build off this defensively the rest of the season. Ozzie was solid tonight, albeit not too many scoring chances for Calgary. Played as a team tonight and it showed, the only player I can complain about is Rafi I'm starting to really dislike him, why does he have to have a NTC, I'm sorry but he's is a turnover machine and a waste of valuable space!

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Yemack

it was a fast paced game so naturally it would work to Wings' favour. As good as Flames are, they overdid it a bit tonight and Wings capitalized.

I'm not happy how Wings just couldn't match Flames' intensity at the end. IMO this could have been an another case of Wings losing the lead late in game. Helm was the only player who kinda gave **** till the end. Datsyuk Zetterberg and Lidstrom need to show leadership and try to inspire rest of the team in those moment.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Ozzy has been rock solid.
He had a very active night playing the puck, I thought he might get the empty netter if the Flames dumped it in there.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
it was a fast paced game so naturally it would work to Wings' favour. As good as Flames are, they overdid it a bit tonight and Wings capitalized.

I'm not happy how Wings just couldn't match Flames' intensity at the end. IMO this could have been an another case of Wings losing the lead late in game. Helm was the only player who kinda gave **** till the end. Datsyuk Zetterberg and Lidstrom need to show leadership and try to inspire rest of the team in those moment.
This is one of those times where I wonder if we watched the same game. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom were engaged the entire game whereas it looked like Iginla, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester were playing in some drop-in game.

Zetterberg was fantastic defensively, thought this was his best game. Same goes for Datsyuk who was hitting and looked to be skating as well as he has all season.

The entire Wings team played great puck possession and made some extremely crisp passes alll night. They really didn't give the Flames much at all.

To be honest, I'm not sure what else you want to see. 3-1 grind it out wins is what we've been craving all year.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:47 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
This is one of those times where I wonder if we watched the same game. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom were engaged the entire game whereas it looked like Iginla, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester were playing in some drop-in game.

Zetterberg was fantastic defensively, thought this was his best game. Same goes for Datsyuk who was hitting and looked to be skating as well as he has all season.

The entire Wings team played great puck possession and made some extremely crisp passes alll night. They really didn't give the Flames much at all.

To be honest, I'm not sure what else you want to see. 3-1 grind it out wins is what we've been craving all year.
I agree with you.
D, and Z were great on defense. i guess people can ask for more offense but they were not being lazy as same mentioned

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

perhaps im being too critical after a win because you can't argue the result. And true Z and Datsyuk played pretty well. However I think they are capable of give more. Much more. While they played well tonight, IMO they didn't do any to carry the team. They were high end players no doubt tonight but Leaders? I think not.

Wings as a team also played their own puck possession game well tonight (kind of) but like Z and Pav, I think Wings as a team is also capable of much more.

Like I mentioned I attribute tonight's win more to the pace of the game and calgary not being able to keep up than Wings asserting their gameplan to Flames with conviction.

I'm not saying Z or Pav slacked off or anything. They certainly showed huge effort, but I would have liked if they showed more intensity and heart at the end because the game still could have gone either way.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
norrisnick

Quote:

Iginla didn't have a shot on goal. Just sayin'....

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
perhaps im being too critical after a win because you can't argue the result. And true Z and Datsyuk played pretty well. However I think they are capable of give more. Much more. While they played well tonight, IMO they didn't do any to carry the team. They were high end players no doubt tonight but Leaders? I think not.

Wings as a team also played their own puck possession game well tonight (kind of) but like Z and Pav, I think Wings as a team is also capable of much more.

Like I mentioned I attribute tonight's win more to the pace of the game and calgary not being able to keep up than Wings asserting their gameplan to Flames with conviction.
Can't have it both ways every night.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:53 PM
norrisnick

Quote:

I think the problem here might be that you aren't aware that what was displayed tonight is EXACTLY the case of the Wings asserting their gameplan with conviction. When the Wings are in true form they are Nick Lidstrom personified. Steady, crisp puck possession, ironclad defense, and cucumber cool. The Wings aren't a team driven by tangible "passion" like the traditional rah rah Canadian sense of leadership/intangibles (ie the sort of play that Iginla is supposed to possess). They're systematic and emotionally neutral.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:56 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
really good win

held the highest scoring team to 1g.
washington is the highest scoring team. calgary was 1st a few games ago, but is 2nd.

amazing that NYR are 3rd.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:57 PM
8snake

Tough crowd. IMO this was Detroit 2 years ago...yes it can be boring, but it's what can make this team a TOP contender again and prove the Fugu's of the board wrong.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
Tough crowd. IMO this was Detroit 2 years ago...yes it can be boring, but it's what can make this team a TOP contender again and prove the Fugu's of the board wrong.
I like boring hockey. It would be great if we see more games where we limit he opposition to twenty shots and choke the life out of them.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I think the problem here might be that you aren't aware that what was displayed tonight is EXACTLY the case of the Wings asserting their gameplan with conviction. When the Wings are in true form they are Nick Lidstrom personified. Steady, crisp puck possession, ironclad defense, and cucumber cool. The Wings aren't a team driven by tangible "passion" like the traditional rah rah Canadian sense of leadership/intangibles (ie the sort of play that Iginla is supposed to possess). They're systematic and emotionally neutral.
I think I know when Wings play a great game and tonight wasn't one IMO. If tonight's game was really the Wings executing at top of their game, I do not hope for more than 2nd round of playoff this season.

And I don't agree that because they are systematic we can't expect such qualities from Wings leaders. You can be as steady and cool as ice but still have great intensity. I've seen those plenty of times from ZD and L.

I don't know why I got worked up a bit after a win.. maybe I exepct too much.

Old
11-01-2009, 12:08 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I like boring hockey. It would be great if we see more games where we limit he opposition to twenty shots and choke the life out of them.
even better is when DRW chokes the life out of others, and has a great offense. that often happened in '08 (and in '07). 1st unit generally dominated the other team.

Old
11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Yemack

alright guys.. forget what i said.. too much beer

Old
11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
BlueMonk

This was exactly the kind of game the Wings needed to play. Very encouraging, and a nice way to close out the worst road trip they'll face all season.

I hope Brad May is okay. That injury looked terrible on replays. CBC showed the team announcing May will stay over in Calgary tonight. They confirmed it's in the eye area, but wouldn't say anything else.

BlueMonk is offline   Reply With Quote