HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

New lines per Hammond

Old
10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
riznat

vCash: 500
New lines per Hammond

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Parse-Stoll-Simmonds
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Ivanans-Richardson-Purcell

2nd line is going to outwork a lot of teams, fourth line will probably be outworked by a lot of teams. I do like the swap of Brown/Simmonds.

Too many days off in a row now, I want to see how these lines play out right now!

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Parse-Stoll-Simmonds
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Ivanans-Richardson-Purcell

2nd line is going to outwork a lot of teams, fourth line will probably be outworked by a lot of teams. I do like the swap of Brown/Simmonds.

Too many days off in a row now, I want to see how these lines play out right now!
The Frolov-Handzus-Brown line has been together for awhile now. They didn't just now swap Simmer and Brown.

I'm glad TM rewarded Parse and didn't move him down to the 4th line.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:53 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The Frolov-Handzus-Brown line has been together for awhile now. They didn't just now swap Simmer and Brown.

I'm glad TM rewarded Parse and didn't move him down to the 4th line.
I only consider it a swap now because Williams is back and its not just a makeshift line anymore. Either way, both Brown and Frolov have been better together then apart. If Parse can keep it up then these lines are looking pretty good. Purcell needs to work his *** off on that fourth line to make it all work.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
I only consider it a swap now because Williams is back and its not just a makeshift line anymore. Either way, both Brown and Frolov have been better together then apart. If Parse can keep it up then these lines are looking pretty good. Purcell needs to work his *** off on that fourth line to make it all work.
I would prefer to switch Simmonds and Purcell, but maybe Murray is trying to send a message and make Purcell work a lil harder (though I thought he looked much better the last few games with Parse).

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I believe the lines were changed the game before Williams hurt his whatever.

I agree, though, the Brown/Fro/Zues line has been great. I was worried Parse would get relegated to the 4th line because I think he can play that role better than Purcell too, but he deserves to stay where he's at. He's been great.

One thing to remember though is when Murray plays our 4th line in the 3rd period, it's usually with someone else double-shifting in Ivanans place. I'm just glad Richardson will get someone with some talent on his line for a change.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I would prefer to switch Simmonds and Purcell, but maybe Murray is trying to send a message and make Purcell work a lil harder (though I thought he looked much better the last few games with Parse).
I was thinking the same thing. I really thought that Purcell, Parse and Stoll line was coming along nicely. But then again, it's tough to punish Simmonds by moving him to the 4th line. I know it's not really a punishment but 4th line only gets 6 mins a game and we all know that Simmonds deserves more minutes.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Johnny Utah

Looks like Jones and Harrold in the press box for the rest of the reason.....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:29 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Would love to see Clune in there rather than Richardson.

...just sayin'

(though Richardson has been playing better the last few games, an agitator is sorely needed on that 4th line)

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:30 PM
regulate

Too bad they are breaking up our best line the last three games, Parse-Stoll-Purcell. When it works, break it apart, Kings Hockey!

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:31 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Works for me.

If secondary scoring is for some reason still a problem with these lines then I want to see:

Smyth-Kopi-Purcell
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Ivanans-Richardson-Simmonds

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Too bad they are breaking up our best line the last three games, Parse-Stoll-Purcell. When it works, break it apart, Kings Hockey!
I hear you, but the logic is probably that Parse and Stoll were the chemistry of that line so Purcell out and Simmonds in does nothing but improve that line...akin to Williams out, Simmonds in on the first line.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Works for me.

If secondary scoring is for some reason still a problem with these lines then I want to see:

Smyth-Kopi-Purcell
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Yuck.

Simmonds on the 4th line? Purcell on the 1st?

Old
10-31-2009, 05:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Yuck.

Simmonds on the 4th line? Purcell on the 1st?
IF secondary scoring is a problem.

Simmonds can score, but he isn't going to generate offense. I would actually rather Simmonds play on the 4th line than let our 4th line become a line with Purcell that can't score AND is soft.

Williams will be the one who needs to spread around if secondary scoring is still an issue. Can't break up Kopi-Smyth and Fro-Zus-Brown are finding a rhythm. I guess you could do

Smyth-Kopi-Simmonds
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Fro-Zus-Brown
Ivan-Richie-Purcell

I just think that is the weakest possible 4th line. I'd rather have Harrold on the 4th line than Purcell, because Purcell can't fill a grinders' shoes.

Putting Purcell on the first would be to try and get him going.

Old
10-31-2009, 05:58 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I hear you, but the logic is probably that Parse and Stoll were the chemistry of that line so Purcell out and Simmonds in does nothing but improve that line...akin to Williams out, Simmonds in on the first line.
Disagree with you there. Williams and Simmonds are not equal, interchangeable parts on the 1st line. Sure Simmonds looked good enough there, but Williams is better and provides a part of the game neither Smyth, nor Kopi, nor Simmonds can bring. In fact, no one on the team brings what Williams brings.

Old
10-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Fropitar

Quote:
Works for me.

Smyth-Kopi-Purcell
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Purcell has played pretty good this season, especially compared to last season. Really though, I think Purcell would get worked on the first line by the opposing team. If he had any success at all it would be all due to Smyth and Kopi. Then everyone would be starting threads about how amazing Purcell is.

Blah.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
IF secondary scoring is a problem.

Simmonds can score, but he isn't going to generate offense. I would actually rather Simmonds play on the 4th line than let our 4th line become a line with Purcell that can't score AND is soft.

Williams will be the one who needs to spread around if secondary scoring is still an issue. Can't break up Kopi-Smyth and Fro-Zus-Brown are finding a rhythm. I guess you could do

Smyth-Kopi-Simmonds
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Fro-Zus-Brown
Ivan-Richie-Purcell

I just think that is the weakest possible 4th line. I'd rather have Harrold on the 4th line than Purcell, because Purcell can't fill a grinders' shoes.

Putting Purcell on the first would be to try and get him going.
I don't care about soft or hard on any one line. Team toughness matters most. That 4th line you put up there would look a lot better with a good left winger. You are essentially running 4 lines that can score that way and you know that defensive pairings are critical here to that "toughness" element about which you are concerned.

Old
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropitar View Post
Purcell has played pretty good this season, especially compared to last season. Really though, I think Purcell would get worked on the first line by the opposing team. If he had any success at all it would be all due to Smyth and Kopi. Then everyone would be starting threads about how amazing Purcell is.

Blah.
Again, its more about getting Williams on another line. But this is all just a big IF. I'm happy with the lines that Hammond posted.

Old
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't care about soft or hard on any one line. Team toughness matters most. That 4th line you put up there would look a lot better with a good left winger. You are essentially running 4 lines that can score that way and you know that defensive pairings are critical here to that "toughness" element about which you are concerned.
Well none of this discounts the need for team toughness. The 4th line is really just meant to grind it out and eat up minutes. I doubt Purcell's ability to do that as well as Harrold... and I hate Harrold and like Purcell.

Old
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
nki

Would be nice if another line got hot to take some pressure off the first line.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well none of this discounts the need for team toughness. The 4th line is really just meant to grind it out and eat up minutes. I doubt Purcell's ability to do that as well as Harrold... and I hate Harrold and like Purcell.
See, that is where we disagree a little. I want to see a 4th line that plays a role greater than eating up minutes. I want to see them wear the other team down and get scoring chances.

Old
10-31-2009, 06:51 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
See, that is where we disagree a little. I want to see a 4th line that plays a role greater than eating up minutes. I want to see them wear the other team down and get scoring chances.
Well I would too, but as you already alluded to, that isn't going to happen as long as Ivan is dressing for 60-70 games.

So long as he is a regular, the best we can hope for is a 4th line that doesn't let it goals.

Old
10-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well I would too, but as you already alluded to, that isn't going to happen as long as Ivan is dressing for 60-70 games.

So long as he is a regular, the best we can hope for is a 4th line that doesn't let it goals.
Thus, Purcell is not the issue on the 4th line, Ivanans is and Clune is the solution. He is a natural left wing. Clune-Richardson-Purcell.

Old
10-31-2009, 07:09 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thus, Purcell is not the issue on the 4th line, Ivanans is and Clune is the solution. He is a natural left wing. Clune-Richardson-Purcell.
Let's hope Clune is the solution (its really just a hope and a prayer since no one has seen much of him, and never against NHLers), because that is a 4th line I can get behind. Until then, we only have to go with what is on the roster, and with Lewis down its Harrold or Ivan.

So until Clune gets the call and proves himself, I've only got the one hand to wish in...

Old
10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
gambitlebo

Quote:
Either way, both Brown and Frolov have been better together then apart.
I think that has more to do with the different type of play that line has been given. In the last 2 games, while Fox was talking about Simmonds, he stated that the "3rd" line was told to be a shut down/dump and chase only line.

He stated that while Simmonds was on the top line, he needed to learn how to carry the puck into the zone and make a play once there as opposed to what he was told to do while playing with Zeus/Fro.

That got me thinking about Fro's "not caring/not trying" attitude. Fro is a puck carrying play maker, not a dump and chase guy. I can see where that would frustrate him.

With Brown, that line seems to have been given the green light to actually carry the puck into the zone and make plays while still playing against the other teams top line.

Hopefully Murray has learned it's easier to use his players skill sets rather than try to make a player totally change their style of play for no reason.

The best defense is offense.

The way that line has been playing the last couple of games, while being allowed to carrying the puck instead of dump/chase, the other teams top offensive line has been having to play defense more than offense.

Hence the reason why Brown and Fro have seem to be playing better.

If Fro/Zeus/Brown start scoring........watch out.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Purcell on the 4th line is such a waste. Send Purcell down and bring up Clune por favor.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote