Notices

Adding size up the center...

Old
11-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Agreed. Unless he makes huge leaps in development over the season in his overall game I wouldnt pay him more than 1.5m on his next deal. He is my "best bet" to be dealt at the deadline in a big trade.
If in June Boston says, "We are only willing to go to 1.5 on this deal." I can guarantee you that Wheeler's agent is immediately out shopping around for an offer sheet. 2.5 gets Wheeler a million dollar raise and Boston gets a 2nd round pick.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:45 PM
bruinmann77

we need someone to score on the PP

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
bb74

Interesting angle on Arnott although I believe his ship has sailed personally.

I'm not that concerned that the C's are relatively "small". I see the Ference / Hunwick / Wideman size as more of an issue. One of those 3 needs to be dealt or Julien needs to rework the pairings to at least have a big guy out back on every pairing (or play Boychuck).

Up front I see a need for one more winger that skates well, is a bit nasty and can score - someone of the Corey Perry mold... Question is who do you deal for this player. All our guys outside of Savvy are 2nd line material so how can we make a deal to get a difference maker without gutting the roster?

Tending is fine.
D needs tuning - just one move.
Forwards need Savvy & Lucic back.

If I'm Chia I'm still evaluating but Ryder and Wideman are in the spotlight (yes I give a bit more of a freebee on Sturm & Krejci because of major offseason injuries).

Let's not forget they are getting their act together defensively and that coupled with a couple of guys stepping up this is still a very good team (even without Lucic & Savard)

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Interesting angle on Arnott although I believe his ship has sailed personally.

I'm not that concerned that the C's are relatively "small". I see the Ference / Hunwick / Wideman size as more of an issue. One of those 3 needs to be dealt or Julien needs to rework the pairings to at least have a big guy out back on every pairing (or play Boychuck).

Up front I see a need for one more winger that skates well, is a bit nasty and can score - someone of the Corey Perry mold... Question is who do you deal for this player. All our guys outside of Savvy are 2nd line material so how can we make a deal to get a difference maker without gutting the roster?

Tending is fine.
D needs tuning - just one move.
Forwards need Savvy & Lucic back.

If I'm Chia I'm still evaluating but Ryder and Wideman are in the spotlight (yes I give a bit more of a freebee on Sturm & Krejci because of major offseason injuries).

Let's not forget they are getting their act together defensively and that coupled with a couple of guys stepping up this is still a very good team (even without Lucic & Savard)
If we could get any of our top 9 wingers to look like they did last year we would be in a much better place.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Pandemic

Why would Toronto trade Kaberle away from Savard when they could potentially get him for nothing in the off season?

Also.. If Chicago wanted to take Thomas' salary.. they would have kept Khabibulin.. at lower # of years as well.

The Arnott thing is intriguing, however. I'm not too sure what Nashville's needs are though.. Are they into just getting picks back? Or do you think they would want some sort of impact player back right away?

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
bruinmann77

obvious we need Savard back in the Lineup ASAP.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmann77 View Post
obvious we need Savard back in the Lineup ASAP.
Agreed, we also have to lock him up before he hits the free market because he's the only legit 1st line talent on the team at the moment.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:26 AM
C77

Sure it would be nice to have the prototypical 6'4'' 220 pound center, but I'm of the opinion that the wingers aren't finishing plays. Krejci has made some fantastic passes that should have resulted in some goals. He could easily have 7 or 8 assists by now.

I think the Bruins are fine at the center position.

However, if the Bruins want to make some noise this season I don't think Sturm, Ryder, and Wheeler are sufficient...

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
BackBringCam

I agaree with the "what has Wheeler done to deserve 3 mil"

I am wondering though if this guy might be our "Dustin Penner"

Has a big year, then gets signed away on a ridiculous offer sheet, hilarity between Chi and yet to be named Gm ensues!! haha

Seriously though, I think this guy will be a force eventually.

Ryder and Recchi are giving me fits, what is left on Ryders contract?

I agree with the guy who mentioned trying to scoop up Ian White, a SOLDID D-man who goes under the radar, yet competes everynight, but somehow never get accolades in the Toronto media (maybe because he is not foriegn born?) This guy is an anchor.

My buddy and I have been wondering if the subtraction of Wardo has anything to do with the floundering so far this season, maybe the chemistry is not there, above all Wardo to me anyways seemed like a solid team/off ice vet that held things together, I certainly miss him maybe the dressing room does too.

BackBringCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:16 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
With the player's consent. What makes you think Thomas waives it, and how does Boston look to players when they give a guy a no trade clause and then ask him to waive it less than a year after giving it to him?
you tell him hes riding the pine or getting bought out. he'll waive it to be a starters somewhere.

how does boston look to players if they bury the better goalie behind the expensive veteran just because they made a mistake and gave him too much? yea i want to go to the team that makes personnel decisions based on who gets paid more rather than who's better. players want to win and they want an organization to have the balls to do what is needed to win. if that means admitting a mistake on a contract and pressuring the player to waive a no trade clause so you can use that money to sign better players then im sure they wont have a problem with it.

look at the redsox. how many players have they dumped shortly after signing because they just never lived up to expectations? plenty and you know what players keep wanting to play there because they want to win and because players are cocky and have no doubt they will preform up to standards so they wont need to worry about being dumped.

if by the deadline rask is outperforming or at least matching thomas i absolutely look to move thomas. you move thomas you dont have to worry about losing savard. (although if he cant be signed for reasonable dollars without getting some ******** 4 or 5 year deal with no trade clauses and such then trade him too.

i just hope boston doesn't make a bunch of mistakes this season and during the offseason to compete for a cup. if it just doesnt look like its going to happen i hope they make moves that are good for the future. dont trade young guys for aging veterans who were once great and now are just serviceable. be aware of toronto's position. if we are getting a top 5 pick, we could be getting a franchise player. think ahead to how to best build around them. hall sequin fowler kabanov. there are a lot of high end prospects in the draft this year.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
I agaree with the "what has Wheeler done to deserve 3 mil"

I am wondering though if this guy might be our "Dustin Penner"

Has a big year, then gets signed away on a ridiculous offer sheet, hilarity between Chi and yet to be named Gm ensues!! haha

Seriously though, I think this guy will be a force eventually.

Ryder and Recchi are giving me fits, what is left on Ryders contract?

I agree with the guy who mentioned trying to scoop up Ian White, a SOLDID D-man who goes under the radar, yet competes everynight, but somehow never get accolades in the Toronto media (maybe because he is not foriegn born?) This guy is an anchor.

My buddy and I have been wondering if the subtraction of Wardo has anything to do with the floundering so far this season, maybe the chemistry is not there, above all Wardo to me anyways seemed like a solid team/off ice vet that held things together, I certainly miss him maybe the dressing room does too.
Ward may be missed but he certainly hasn't helped Carolina so who knows.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
BackBringCam

They should wait until the trade dealine nears, Toronto should be battling with some other brutal team for last over all. Chia makes a deal with the other team, to strengthen them up for the drive to the end of the season, and ensures the Leafs finish last!

Habs did it to ensure they were able to get Lafleur I think it was.

BackBringCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Size up the center vs. speed...the age-old question.

Wheeler's got size; Bitz, too. How's that working for us?

Cam Neelys don't grow on trees.

Overall team speed is much more important in today's league. Getting to pucks, speeding down the wings, getting there for the tip in, or getting back in time on the backcheck...

Since Phil's gone, we're left with Sobotka as our only true speedster.

Not. Nearly. Enough.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
2014 Bruins turned me into South Shore Kings fan
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote