HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Ladd hit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2009, 04:25 AM
  #1
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,681
vCash: 340
Ladd hit

Just wanted some Hurricane fan opinions

The Habs and there fans are calling for Andrew Ladd to be suspended. Are they idiots?



Skates on ice , no elbow! (Slowmo shows that)

Great hit and Ladd defended himself nicely along boards

How is Ruutu doing? Haven't seen him much this year aside from Tucker hit

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:19 AM
  #2
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END
 
WhiteTrashAmerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,545
vCash: 500
Trade him back please.

A line with Ruutu AND Ladd would be fantastic....

Man just think of a Ruutu-Sutter-Ladd combo.....what a line that could be.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:24 AM
  #3
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Hit was clean. Technically anyway. I suppose you could argue that he was headhunting, which isn't legal but it's certainly not cool. Anytime a team's player gets creamed someone is gonna get upset whether it's legal or not. Just the way it is. As for Ruutu I believe this will be his first game back from suspension. I haven't seen too many games this year but up until the hit it seemed like he was off to a decent start.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:50 AM
  #4
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,033
vCash: 2498
No different then Sutter getting owned by Weight midice last year. It's most definitely not a suspension worthy hit and was clean under the letter of the law in the NHL. Now whether hits to the head should be legal or not is another question entirely. Someone could argue he charged on the play, which is a penalty, but not really a suspension worthy issue shy of outright going Steve Downie or Jesse Boulerice on someone in the process.

We'll give you Whitney or Cullen for him. You guys could use another playmaker, right?

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:49 AM
  #5
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 500
He definitely left the ice, it's just a question of when. It looks to me like it was more of a result of the hit rather than him intentionally leaving his feet to make the hit, so I think it was okay.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:16 AM
  #6
dmonk
doughberle
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 7,968
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
His skates let the ice as a result of hit, not before the hit.

It was a vicious but technically clean hit. It falls under pretty much the same category as Mike Richard's hit on Booth.

Head hits are not cool, unfortunately, they happen. There should be no suspension.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:08 AM
  #7
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,987
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
To me, that hit is a HELL of a lot cleaner than the David Booth hit by Mike Richards. Hits that tick me off are hits that come from blind angles like the one by Colby Armstrong on Trevor Letowski or the one by Colton Orr on Matt Cullen. What's even more annoying is when people say, "LOL! Keep your head up", or "Quit admiring your pass", when the guy comes from across the ice in your blind spot and wrecks you three seconds after the puck is gone.

This hit, however, was totally different. Much like the Weight hit on Sutter, it was a straight up hockey hit with an unfortunate result. When two people are skating in opposing directions and they meet in the middle, one of the two parties should have been paying better attention. That should never happen, in theory. Where as I think Letowski and Cullen were in vulnerable positions, I think D'Agostini should have been more aware of where he was skating and Ladd made him pay. Nothing wrong with that. I don't even think it was head hunting to be honest. Had D'Agostini seen him coming, it would have been a normal hockey play. It's not Ladd's fault that it never happened.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM
  #8
faulkingdynamic
J Troll
 
faulkingdynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
To me, that hit is a HELL of a lot cleaner than the David Booth hit by Mike Richards. Hits that tick me off are hits that come from blind angles like the one by Colby Armstrong on Trevor Letowski or the one by Colton Orr on Matt Cullen. What's even more annoying is when people say, "LOL! Keep your head up", or "Quit admiring your pass", when the guy comes from across the ice in your blind spot and wrecks you three seconds after the puck is gone.

This hit, however, was totally different. Much like the Weight hit on Sutter, it was a straight up hockey hit with an unfortunate result. When two people are skating in opposing directions and they meet in the middle, one of the two parties should have been paying better attention. That should never happen, in theory. Where as I think Letowski and Cullen were in vulnerable positions, I think D'Agostini should have been more aware of where he was skating and Ladd made him pay. Nothing wrong with that. I don't even think it was head hunting to be honest. Had D'Agostini seen him coming, it would have been a normal hockey play. It's not Ladd's fault that it never happened.
+1.............Ladd was even standing there waiting for him. he didnt even have to skate to find D'Agostini. It certainly isnt hunting if the prey skates directly at you

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:25 AM
  #9
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,681
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
No different then Sutter getting owned by Weight midice last year. It's most definitely not a suspension worthy hit and was clean under the letter of the law in the NHL. Now whether hits to the head should be legal or not is another question entirely. Someone could argue he charged on the play, which is a penalty, but not really a suspension worthy issue shy of outright going Steve Downie or Jesse Boulerice on someone in the process.

We'll give you Whitney or Cullen for him. You guys could use another playmaker, right?
Ok so Ray Whitney and Cam Ward for Andrew Ladd and Cristobal Huet,,,,, Lets get the paper work to our GM's and get it done

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
  #10
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ok so Ray Whitney and Cam Ward for Andrew Ladd and Cristobal Huet,,,,, Lets get the paper work to our GM's and get it done
Ummm.... Yeah... gonna have to pass on that one.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
  #11
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Blows to the head -- Rule change?

I'm a Hab fan but i'm not calling for a suspension. The hit was well within the rules, imo. The problem is that, for me, the rules kind of need a tune-up. You can say that it was in the heat of the moment all you want, but this hit was what goes under the list of "blows to the head". Was it an elbow? no. Did he leave his feet? Not really. But was it really necessary to hit him in the head? And someone's argument of the fact that Ladd wasn't the one skating, D'agostini was, really backfires now. That means Ladd saw him coming, had time to think about it, and then hit him in the head. That's really really not cool. The league needs to make some adjustments to the rules because guys are getting killed out there because its within the rules to hit guys in the head. And don't tell me that the rules can't be adjusted, that we'll be taking the aggressive nature of the sport out of the game. Thats bull. Look at how they adjusted the rules for high-sticking. It used to be that it was only an intentional stick to the face that got called. Now, every time you get your stick up and it happens to touch someone's face, it gets called. Why was the rule changed? Because sticks we're becoming way too dangerous and guys were getting seriously hurt. My first thought (sorryits the only one i can think of) comes to Justin Williams high-sticking Saku Koivu in the eye in the playoffs. Koivu almost lost an eye as a result. It was incidents like that that forced colin campbell's hand to be more stringent on high-sticking incidents. For some reason, guys getting serious concussions as a result to a "legal" blow to the head are not as important an injury as a bad eye injury.

Maybe Campbell is waiting for someone to get hit so hard they fall into a coma, i dont know. But i firmly believe that if you can get a guy to keep his stick down for fear of penalty, you can get a guy to shoulder check someone's body instead of their head for the same reason...

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
  #12
Obi Wan LaRosie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I'm a Hab fan but i'm not calling for a suspension. The hit was well within the rules, imo. The problem is that, for me, the rules kind of need a tune-up. You can say that it was in the heat of the moment all you want, but this hit was what goes under the list of "blows to the head". Was it an elbow? no. Did he leave his feet? Not really. But was it really necessary to hit him in the head? And someone's argument of the fact that Ladd wasn't the one skating, D'agostini was, really backfires now. That means Ladd saw him coming, had time to think about it, and then hit him in the head. That's really really not cool. The league needs to make some adjustments to the rules because guys are getting killed out there because its within the rules to hit guys in the head. And don't tell me that the rules can't be adjusted, that we'll be taking the aggressive nature of the sport out of the game. Thats bull. Look at how they adjusted the rules for high-sticking. It used to be that it was only an intentional stick to the face that got called. Now, every time you get your stick up and it happens to touch someone's face, it gets called. Why was the rule changed? Because sticks we're becoming way too dangerous and guys were getting seriously hurt. My first thought (sorryits the only one i can think of) comes to Justin Williams high-sticking Saku Koivu in the eye in the playoffs. Koivu almost lost an eye as a result. It was incidents like that that forced colin campbell's hand to be more stringent on high-sticking incidents. For some reason, guys getting serious concussions as a result to a "legal" blow to the head are not as important an injury as a bad eye injury.

Maybe Campbell is waiting for someone to get hit so hard they fall into a coma, i dont know. But i firmly believe that if you can get a guy to keep his stick down for fear of penalty, you can get a guy to shoulder check someone's body instead of their head for the same reason...

Only problem with the whole Justin Williams "high" stick, is that his stick was at knee level, just so happened that Koivu's head was also down there, for some reason.

I agree with your principal though. However, the only problem I foresee is that when guys are skating, like D'Agostini, he is skating toward Ladd head first. It is fairly difficult to hit a guy in the chest with your shoulder when his head is a foot in front of his chest.

Just playing devils advocate there though, I too wonder what can be done about all these head shots. Richards hit last week on Booth should definitely be suspendable though.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
  #13
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
Only problem with the whole Justin Williams "high" stick, is that his stick was at knee level, just so happened that Koivu's head was also down there, for some reason.

I agree with your principal though. However, the only problem I foresee is that when guys are skating, like D'Agostini, he is skating toward Ladd head first. It is fairly difficult to hit a guy in the chest with your shoulder when his head is a foot in front of his chest.

Just playing devils advocate there though, I too wonder what can be done about all these head shots. Richards hit last week on Booth should definitely be suspendable though.
Yeah, its a real doozy of a problem to suss out, because unlike high-sticking, checking (legally or not) is part of the very fabric of our game. Coaches want their players to play a more aggressive game, set the tone with a big hit, yadda yadda. If you called a penalty for every questionable hit you'd take out one of the key elements the game was built on. But facts need to be faced; there's seemingly a guy getting a concussion almost once a week in the league, and i find it hard to believe that guys only now started skating with their heads down. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years better helmets were designed for softening the blow of big hits. Its obvious that guys are bigger, stronger and faster than they've ever been. The equipment needs to be adjusted to deal with these changes. I mean everyone has bigger pads now; why are the helmets still very similar to the flimsy old ones?

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.