HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Face the Facts

Old
10-31-2009, 12:20 AM
sammy d

vCash: 500
Face the Facts

ok, so I'm watching the game tonight and thinking, we over evaluate our players and expect too much of them.

Case in point: Lats, Well he's a big body, well it takes a power forward longer to develop, well he was called up too soon,

He doesn't use his body properly, get in front of the net man, hit someone when they have the puck, develping late is just an excuse, many power forwards have developed at a young age. Called up too soon, look at all the 18 & 19 year olds who are excelling, thats because they have talent, unlike Lats. he's turning into a slug, mediocre talent, no intensity, in my opinion won't be around much longer.

Another case in point,Akots: Too many of you say give him time, he has talent. Well it is what it is, talent means nothing unless it produces. Many players have been busts with more talent than him, talent means nothing unless it shows results. How many years do you give a guy, 3, 5, 7? You can only wait so long, if he doesn't break out by Xmas he should be traded, and don't say well he'll score 80 points with someone else, if he does so be it, wouldn't have done it with us. Ands thats another thing, stop comparing traded players stats, its stupid, very stupid. Different teams, different situations, there is absolutely no way to say that a traded player would have had the same success than if he stayed with us. This happens to all teams, shouldn't be an issue.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:22 AM
habtastic

starting to agree with that

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:35 AM
_habsfan9

im usually only a reader, but damn you got a point man

_habsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:48 AM
OneSharpMarble

Uhh Lats has never been a power forward, he is big true but other than that he has none of the attributes of a power forward. He isn't fast, he has poor hands and his passing is weak. He doesn't dictate play on the boards and he definitly never drives to the net. Oh wait he is big.

Just because he is french and big everyone here turned him into a "power forward" when he has never been one.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:52 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
he simply needs to play like he did in pre-season a few years when he first made the team...

HITTING EVERYTHING THAT MOVES!

Have him do this and he will be effective...the problem is he thinks he's a scorer and he just might be, but he needs to go around hitting to open up some space so he can create those chances

if he's not hitting, he's not doing much else

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Habs13

Habs played a very talented Blackhawks team and did well.. why the need for this kind of nonsense?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Habs played a very talented Blackhawks team and did well.. why the need for this kind of nonsense?
But..But...but...you're taking away most the fun about being a Habs fan.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
ok, so I'm watching the game tonight and thinking, we over evaluate our players and expect too much of them.

Case in point: Lats, Well he's a big body, well it takes a power forward longer to develop, well he was called up too soon,

He doesn't use his body properly, get in front of the net man, hit someone when they have the puck, develping late is just an excuse, many power forwards have developed at a young age. Called up too soon, look at all the 18 & 19 year olds who are excelling, thats because they have talent, unlike Lats. he's turning into a slug, mediocre talent, no intensity, in my opinion won't be around much longer.

Another case in point,Akots: Too many of you say give him time, he has talent. Well it is what it is, talent means nothing unless it produces. Many players have been busts with more talent than him, talent means nothing unless it shows results. How many years do you give a guy, 3, 5, 7? You can only wait so long, if he doesn't break out by Xmas he should be traded, and don't say well he'll score 80 points with someone else, if he does so be it, wouldn't have done it with us. Ands thats another thing, stop comparing traded players stats, its stupid, very stupid. Different teams, different situations, there is absolutely no way to say that a traded player would have had the same success than if he stayed with us. This happens to all teams, shouldn't be an issue.

I think aggression is inate, you either have it or you don't. I get the impression Latendresse doesn't have it, but sometimes he or someone else reminds him he needs to show it. It lasts for a shift or 2 then it recedes.

Having said that I think his lack of speed plays into his mind to the point he doesn't want to lunge himself too far out of position.

I think the success formula for this year involves a 20 goal Latendresse but I am discouraged so far.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I think aggression is inate, you either have it or you don't. I get the impression Latendresse doesn't have it, but sometimes he or someone else reminds him he needs to show it. It lasts for a shift or 2 then it recedes.

Having said that I think his lack of speed plays into his mind to the point he doesn't want to lunge himself too far out of position.

I think the success formula for this year involves a 20 goal Latendresse but I am discouraged so far.
After what happened to D'Ago yesterday, I was extremely disappointed in Lats and Laps.
Lappy should have retaliated by trying to hit every single one of the Hawks's skilled players.
Lats who's our biggest forward since Laraque is out, has done very little physical damage. He's second on our team with 26hits but to be honest, I've only seen him give 2-3 good solid hits.
He also loves the boards because he hits them more than players.
But I'm very disappointed in him not dropping the gloves. Not one fight from him.

You see a guy like Chipchura willing to drop the gloves and fight anybody to defend a teammate. He's 6'2 206 and he might be a bit shorter because I'm 6'2 and I saw Chipper at Opera, actually I even talked to him, he was a little shorter than me.
Meanwhile the 6'2, 230lbs guy loves to bear hug.

It's so disappointing because if only he'd agree to play a more aggressive role, his value to us would double instantaneously. Not only that, but I'm sure he'd be more offensively productive as well because it would mean for him to constantly be in front of the net.

It's sad that he doesn't realize this.

As for Andrei, I don't really care where he plays in top6. The problem is that we have a top5.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:11 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Is this the Blackhawks team that passed the Habs talentwise? Is this the team that had 2 of their top 6 out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Is this the Blackhawks team that passed the Habs talentwise? Is this the team that had 2 of their top 6 out?
Still, they have Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Barker, Byflugien, Kane, Sharp.

You can't really compare their talent to ours, especially not on D.

Old
11-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
he simply needs to play like he did in pre-season a few years when he first made the team...

HITTING EVERYTHING THAT MOVES!

Have him do this and he will be effective...the problem is he thinks he's a scorer and he just might be, but he needs to go around hitting to open up some space so he can create those chances

if he's not hitting, he's not doing much else
hmmm...makes a big hit then scores on the same shift

shocking isn't it?

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Habsfanatical

Do some research.. How long did it take Lecavalier and Bertuzzi to get rolling? I believe it was at least 4 or 5 years before they started to get rolling and about 7 years before they hit their potential! Lots of time to worry about flashes in the pan, adding a new coach/system and half a new team only delays some of the potential. Why is it that a good perctenage of Habs fans have absolutely ZERO patience? What's Carolinas record right now? 2-7-3.. And that's with a pretty damn good team and an equally great goalie who may get a call to play for Canada at the Olympics with the name Ward.. There are more then a few teams right now that I would say have better teams then ours, and yet they still have worst records.. Carolina and Anaheim will be my examples.. So considering everything going on.. The lose of Markov in game #1, the loss of O'Byrne who was playing his best hockey in a Habs jersey, half a new team, new coach and system.. And yet were 7-7.. With the potential and chemistry to rock it in the second half, by the time we get rolling, it'll be time for Markov to come back.. I'm not really impressed with what I've seen as in consistantcy, but to me our 2 best games were losses.. Calgary and Chicago, we battled hard, we didn't give up, it was nice to see after last years collapse! The Van game, well, it looked like we played a playoff game the night before in Calgary, the team infront of Price played like they were exhausted.. After 20 games is where I tend to start looking at ways to improve, but considering everything I've mentioned above, I'd say 30 games or beginning of Dec until we really see what we have for the rest of the year.. Big year for the rest of the UFA/RFAs coming up.. I'd love to see Price, Halak both resigned because granted their both young, but IMO they will have a great future battling it out. Maybe I say that because our G prospects are still quite a few years away, but I'm not worried about either guy we decide to put between the pipes right now.

That's my rant anyway, basically all I'm saying is PATIENCE people.. Good things come to those who are patient.. And we still are the most team in NHL history and last time I looked, we are still the last Canadian team to win the CUP, regardless if it was back in '93 or not..

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:40 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

Please don't be discouraged it makes you seem "inate". After an hour or so your discouragement should "recede".

Hope he manages his "success formula" this year by not over lunging and scoring 20. Wonderful observations.

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:51 AM
willalong

Did you realize:

These forums are like dating sites, you never know for sure who you are talking to.

Mental institutions and prisons all have computers for the inmates.

10 year old kids, as in born around the year "2000" all have opinions and can type.

Some people don't feel right unless they are complaining about something...e.g. the weather, the economy, high price of gas, the fact that they might have gas, on and on and of course the sports team....take your pick.

Never realize that some interviews are said with "tongue in cheek"
(that is an expression that means " pulling your leg" putting you on, well "you get the picture"....you do don't you?

Some people take everything "literally"......look it up.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:00 AM
hickles46

He hit the Leaf player pretty hard out the way last night when he scored his goal

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:00 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Still, they have Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Barker, Byflugien, Kane, Sharp.

You can't really compare their talent to ours, especially not on D.
Unless, they played for the Canadiens and then after a few games you would say all the negative things that would have to be said.

You would see and expose their weaknesses. After all Chicago has not won all its games....why? why? why?....who should they get rid of etc etc.

In other words you would find and expose their flaws.

Please accept my humble opinion and thank you.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:40 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Did you realize:

These forums are like dating sites, you never know for sure who you are talking to.

Mental institutions and prisons all have computers for the inmates.
fwiw none of the prisons I've ever been in, had computers.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
We have bigger problem than Latendresse.

He's 22 years old and he's not hurting this team (unless you are expecting him to score 25 on the 2nd line... i'm not).

Kostitsyn on the other hand...

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Leo Getz

I find it funny that you gathered this from watching the game last night. I thought Lats had a good game last night, he was throwing hits, and scored a goal at the front of the net. Which are 2 things Lats needs to do.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Unless, they played for the Canadiens and then after a few games you would say all the negative things that would have to be said.

You would see and expose their weaknesses. After all Chicago has not won all its games....why? why? why?....who should they get rid of etc etc.

In other words you would find and expose their flaws.

Please accept my humble opinion and thank you.
No teams will ever win all their games. Chicago sits 3rd in the West without Toews and Hossa. That shows quite a lot of depth.
If they can remain at the top of the West while losing two big stars like that, then it's quite a promising team.

Doesn't mean they'll win a cup and I don't think that will ever happen with Huet in nets. But their talent isn't comparable to ours.
Even if they have their flaws, I don't think you'd choose our D over theirs.

Old
11-01-2009, 12:31 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
fwiw none of the prisons I've ever been in, had computers.
And I work in 2 mental institutions. No computers for the patients.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Latendresse is 22 and we'd all like him to score goals, but when he's not he's out there throwing hits and being intense, at least every other game. When he's not doing that, you don't notice him, meaning he's not being positive, but he's not being negative.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

its a matter of confidence for Gui. Last year he played very well, producing offensively on the third line with Lapierre as his center. This year he is off to a slow start, but once he gets the ball rolling he should be solid again.

I'm not saying he will score 20 goals or 40 pts, which is what some people expect of him, but rather I see him not being a defensive liability, and getting used to gunning towards the net and parking there. It takes practice to do this at the NHL level, and gui is as strong as they come. He has good hands too, just needs to get everything together.

Last year he learnt how to play defense responsibly, as well as hit properly on the third line. This year, he will get PP minutes and JM will teach him how to "Tomas Holmstrom".

Gui in his rookie year didn't score for the 13 first games and still managed 16 goals... he can reach that and more this year with 2 in 14 games.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Iwishihadacup

Facts? what facts? I just see subjective observations

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote