HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do modern skates lack protection?

Old
11-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Do modern skates lack protection?

I have been noticing a lot of players who play competitively are getting broken bones in their feet from getting hit with pucks.

I do not own any of these new modern composite skates BUT would like to know from people who own them if they are getting the same protection as the old fashioned heavier skates.

Obviously it hurts getting hit with a hard shot in the skate sometimes, it is unavoidable BUT are you more likely to get a stinger wearing these new ultra light skimpy skates?

Does the composite material offer good enough protection?

Like I said I do not own any and am wearing a 2003 model skate still, I have 2 pair of those older Bauer Vapors.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
My one95s are probably the most protective feeling skates I've owned. I play defense and have no second thoughts just turning my foot sideways to block a shot.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
rinkrat22

I think it has more to do with the fact that more guys have hard shots nowadays. hf68, you have, just like me been playing hockey for a long time. Do you really think the skates now aren't better and more protective than in our day? I wear Vapor 40's now, and just switched from graf. both of those are way more protective than the old leather skates I wore as a youth. I honestly think more guys have harder shots now than when we were younger. No dont misunderstand me, I know there have always been guys that could "bring it" I just think there are more of them now than before. whether that is due to better sticks, more guys weight training or whatever. I personally think its just a matter of more guys shooting harder, increasing the chances of getting hit.

but thats just my $.02.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Gino 14

Blocking shots is a bigger part of the game now than it was in the past. There is better protection for the players but they also take higher risks and no matter how good the skate, these type of accidents will still happen.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
rinkrat22

^^^good point gino. didn't even think of that factor.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
K-PAX*

Gino zeroed in on my point, which in addition to harder, more quickly released shots via composites = more injuries. Skates haven't been better.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Canadiens1958

Knowing How

Knowing how to block shots is the key. Get a few basic lessons at a hockey clinic or school with someone who could work with you one on one or a small group.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Well I was askin' as I am ignorant about new skates as I do not wear them.

I always see guys shaking their skate or limping after getting hit with a puck I never look to see what they are wearing because honestly I do not care what someone else wears.

I don't look at what they are using for a stick either.

I just wanted honest input from people here who are knowledgable about hockey which you all seem to be to give some input on this.

I have no problems with getting in front of shots and have not had too many stingers to speak of on my current skates.

I think universally the instep on the ball of the foot (bottom of the big toe bone joint) has always been the most vulnerable spot that pretty much any skate doesn't protect you there. That has been the only spot I have gotten stung on really.

I just see so many NHL guys out right now with broken feet which usually seems to happen during practices it seems.

I just wondered if anyone else had a story about a broken fot and attributed it to the new skates which may sacrifice protection for lightweightedness .... if that is even a word lol.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well I was askin' as I am ignorant about new skates as I do not wear them.

I always see guys shaking their skate or limping after getting hit with a puck I never look to see what they are wearing because honestly I do not care what someone else wears.

I don't look at what they are using for a stick either.

I just wanted honest input from people here who are knowledgable about hockey which you all seem to be to give some input on this.

I have no problems with getting in front of shots and have not had too many stingers to speak of on my current skates.

I think universally the instep on the ball of the foot (bottom of the big toe bone joint) has always been the most vulnerable spot that pretty much any skate doesn't protect you there. That has been the only spot I have gotten stung on really.

I just see so many NHL guys out right now with broken feet which usually seems to happen during practices it seems.

I just wondered if anyone else had a story about a broken fot and attributed it to the new skates which may sacrifice protection for lightweightedness .... if that is even a word lol.
I too have gotten stingers there, no skate will full protect that spot near the big toe. New skates really beat old skates in protection from shots, by far.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
New skates really beat old skates in protection from shots, by far.
really? I had no idea seriously. i thought it would be the opposite as they would skimp on thicknesses here and there to make a lighter product.

Nice to know.

I mean obviously at some point I will buy newer styled skates when these two pair I use now of the older Bauer Vapors are dead and this info is good to know.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:49 AM
K-PAX*

Yeah the materials are so much better now they can make the skates as light as a feather without sacrificing protection.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote