HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ribeiro's "Performance"

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
What pissed me off was he did that hand motion to the Bruins bench like he wanted to fight. "Ok, ill roll around on the ice for 5 minutes, squeal like a little girl, have the trainers come assist me because im so hurt, but when I get up its fight night at the Bell Centre." What a class act.
I agree, i think thats what bothered a lot. Faking to get a whistle, or penalty etc.. happens every game, not a huge deal, but to taunt the bench the way he did, to yap like he was some top **** is what puts him in the grade A a$$ category.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:44 AM
rye&ginger

Really pathetic
There was not much else to say. Maybe he was hurt, maybe not.
There was no reason to make yourself look like a 13 year old kid by egging the Bruins on though. Your team just barely won its first game, fool.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:55 AM
sandman08

i was disgusted by it too heh
but if it was truly a stinger or one of those injuries that will or can get "suddenly better" then thats fine but the jesturing to the bench was just wrong (and there are things that will "go away" on their own accord)

Old
04-12-2004, 04:03 AM
Traitor8

It's the playoffs!

I don't care

Most likely, the Bruins were talking **** to him and he had to respond by gestures or wtv when he got up. I like Ribeiro and maybe he laughed at what the Bruins were saying like we're gonna kick ur ass or wtv ...

All I know is Ribeiro needs a couple of pts to get going. That's all I really care about and Bruins shouldn't be hunting for heads or else they'll get what's coming as well.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:36 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
Disgusting. Ribiero's a total embarrassment to the game and he'll hopefully get his.
Oh Jesus.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:45 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Is there any video of this whole event?

I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:24 AM
JV

I'm no fan of Ribeiro, but it seems to me unlikely that he was faking. For one thing, he couldn't be sure the refs would stop the play before the Habs got the puck back. Second, if he were faking an injury, he'd have continued to fake it until he got to the bench. Even a 5 year old knows that you don't stop sniffling and coughing until the school bus has disappeared. There are lots of injuries that hurt like hell for a short time. A "burner" (thoracic outlet syndrome) is one. There are others.

As for the gestures to the Bruin's bench, I expect that Lapointe was calling him a "*****" or something like it, and Mikey made the "bring it" gesture.

The whole thing is being blown way out of proportion by people who see Ribeiro as a punk. As a Habs fan who doesn't like Mike all that much, I can understand, but it's still way over the top.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Mike8

Quality post, JV. I agree.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:26 AM
eddy

I'm a habs fan and i'm a bnit embarassed at what he did, but I know Julien will atleast give him a stern talking to about the whole thing cause i know it pissed him off especially since when it happened he was he was overplaying his shift which Julien already benched him for this season. The boston players will also let him know what he did pissed them hopefully they won't take it to far cause like someone said this is the type of thing that led to the bertuzzi accident. But between julien and the boston players i'm sure he'll get the message and it won't happen again.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:32 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
I'm no fan of Ribeiro, but it seems to me unlikely that he was faking. For one thing, he couldn't be sure the refs would stop the play before the Habs got the puck back. Second, if he were faking an injury, he'd have continued to fake it until he got to the bench. Even a 5 year old knows that you don't stop sniffling and coughing until the school bus has disappeared. There are lots of injuries that hurt like hell for a short time. A "burner" (thoracic outlet syndrome) is one. There are others.

As for the gestures to the Bruin's bench, I expect that Lapointe was calling him a "*****" or something like it, and Mikey made the "bring it" gesture.

The whole thing is being blown way out of proportion by people who see Ribeiro as a punk. As a Habs fan who doesn't like Mike all that much, I can understand, but it's still way over the top.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Ribeiro is not a moron, If he intended to fake it, he would have at least carried it to the dressing room.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:00 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
You're a broad Ribeiro

If only Kevin Stevens and Brian Trottier were there to rip into him like they did to Bellows..

Old
04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
It's the playoffs!

I don't care

Most likely, the Bruins were talking **** to him and he had to respond by gestures or wtv when he got up. I like Ribeiro and maybe he laughed at what the Bruins were saying like we're gonna kick ur ass or wtv ...

All I know is Ribeiro needs a couple of pts to get going. That's all I really care about and Bruins shouldn't be hunting for heads or else they'll get what's coming as well.

ya, right, sure, it was the B's bench calling him out that got him to give the little hand gesture right when he got up and all the way to the bench......

Old
04-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Fla15

Don't know if it was fake, don't know if it was real, but if I may, I'd like to throw in my two cents. A few years back I was playing ball when a buddy of mine whiffed on a fastball and the stick-um kept his lower hand stuck to the bat. During the follow through the momentum of the bat threw his shoulder out and let me tell you he was writing in pain the same way Mickey R was. Long story short, once his shoulder was rolled back into place (yuck) he was fine, in fact he played the rest of the game virtually pain free.

Now looking back at the infamous replay, seeing the way his arm was laying, noting that as soon as the trainer got to him his mouthed "shoulder" and the fact that Kovalev was hanging over him like he knew what was going on (a shoulder problem vet), it is my very, very, VERY unprofessional opinion that Mickey separated his shoulder, had it put back in and did what ever hockey player thinks he's supposed to do and tried to show he fine. When the Boston Bench razzed he reacted like the premadonna that we all know he is.

If any thing this will show us what Mickey is made of, because you know he's gonna be marked. They will run him, fairly I might add (Boston is not dirty), all over the ice. If he can survive, or heaven forbid, excel with that kind of pressure we may just have a player on our hands. If he wilts under the pressure, like some think he will, he'll be phased out of Montreal's plans. This is an interesting situation. This is where the men are separated from the boys... No pun intended.

A Habs Fan.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:31 AM
habaholic

I don't want to sound biased but really, anyone who watched the game and saw the events that transpired right before the act can well understand why he did it.

I don't by any mean condone the act, but i found it was downright SMART. The bruins were pressing trying to tie the game but they had their hands full doing this AND there were a few non-calls along the way by our beloved Fraser. Fans were going crazy, Ribeiro felt the refs were gonna "crack", so he goes down trying to get a whistle to take momemtum away from the bruins and gets it. I've seen this happen a million times in the playoffs, so I don't know what the big deal is. I CLEARLY remember Ray Bourque once laying on the ice for the longest time, trainer was out and everything, gets back up, goes to the bench and winks at his teammates. Does anybody remember this???

The only mistake Ribeiro made was staying on the bench and smiling at the bruins players, because this will motivate them for the next game. Yes, he is cocky, yes, he is arrogant, but the kid is pretty smart and a pretty good player. Maybe the bruins will want to hurt him so bad that they'll derive from their game plan. The playoffs are as much a psychological battle as it is a physical one.

Let the best team win.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla15
Don't know if it was fake, don't know if it was real, but if I may, I'd like to throw in my two cents. A few years back I was playing ball when a buddy of mine whiffed on a fastball and the stick-um kept his lower hand stuck to the bat. During the follow through the momentum of the bat threw his shoulder out and let me tell you he was writing in pain the same way Mickey R was. Long story short, once his shoulder was rolled back into place (yuck) he was fine, in fact he played the rest of the game virtually pain free.

Now looking back at the infamous replay, seeing the way his arm was laying, noting that as soon as the trainer got to him his mouthed "shoulder" and the fact that Kovalev was hanging over him like he knew what was going on (a shoulder problem vet), it is my very, very, VERY unprofessional opinion that Mickey separated his shoulder, had it put back in and did what ever hockey player thinks he's supposed to do and tried to show he fine. When the Boston Bench razzed he reacted like the premadonna that we all know he is.

If any thing this will show us what Mickey is made of, because you know he's gonna be marked. They will run him, fairly I might add (Boston is not dirty), all over the ice. If he can survive, or heaven forbid, excel with that kind of pressure we may just have a player on our hands. If he wilts under the pressure, like some think he will, he'll be phased out of Montreal's plans. This is an interesting situation. This is where the men are separated from the boys... No pun intended.

A Habs Fan.

The Habs trainer must be the best trainer in the world than because not only did he pop Ribeiro's shoulder back into place while Ribeiro was still lying on the ice but he also did it through all the equipment Ribeiro was wearing. The shoulder pads get in the way, there's no way in hell you could pop his shoulder back in with removing some of his equipment. But than again maybe Montreal's trainer is actually Jesus and all he has to do and touch the wounded area and it heals all by itself.

Just face it, Ribeiro oscar is the mail, I'm suprised he didn't bring out the tears.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:52 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
This is exactly what I was thinking. Ribeiro is not a moron, If he intended to fake it, he would have at least carried it to the dressing room.
Unfortunately, fake or not, it looks fake. If he were smart, he would've ignored the entire Boston bench and carried it to the dressing room. By getting up and responding to the Boston bench's remarks with his little "bring it" taunt, it makes him look like he was faking it just to prevent an odd man rush the other way. This hurts him and his team more than he knows. It's not just the Bruins going to run him the next game(I suspect one or two guys are going to go out of their way to level him at the earliest opportunity), but the refs are going to be hard pressed to believe anything injury-related he gets. The next time he's rolling around on the ice, unless he's bleeding or it's Sturm-like(ie hideously broken ankle), they're gonna let him roll on the ice because in their minds, it's just gonna be another "cry wolf" stunt. And he's probably not going to get the calls he used to either. Just ask Kovalev. He dove early in his career and now he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
The Habs trainer must be the best trainer in the world than because not only did he pop Ribeiro's shoulder back into place while Ribeiro was still lying on the ice but he also did it through all the equipment Ribeiro was wearing. The shoulder pads get in the way, there's no way in hell you could pop his shoulder back in with removing some of his equipment. But than again maybe Montreal's trainer is actually Jesus and all he has to do and touch the wounded area and it heals all by itself.

Just face it, Ribeiro oscar is the mail, I'm suprised he didn't bring out the tears.
Popping the shoulder back into place while Ribeiro was lying on the ice is no exceptional feat. The objective whenever a dislocation occurs is to pop it back in if you feel your way into doing it. There are varying degrees of separation.

The trainer also went up under Ribeiro's jersey and moved some equipment prior to doing this.

You could very well be right that he was acting, but I think it's premature for anyone to presume he was. Everything on the ice indicated to me that it was a dislocation. But what do I know?

(This is from someone who's never been a fan of Ribeiro's either. I know he has a flair for the dramatic.)

Old
04-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Teezax

I'm sorry but if my shoulder gets dislocated and then popped into place again, the last reaction on my face would be a smirk on my way to the bench. Ribeiro is going to get pounded next game, there is no other way to put it.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:12 PM
FTK

I clearly hope the Bruins try to pound Ribeiro ! If they do, they'll be putting a lot of pressure and effort on the Habs' worse line...

Old
04-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I'm sorry but if my shoulder gets dislocated and then popped into place again, the last reaction on my face would be a smirk on my way to the bench. Ribeiro is going to get pounded next game, there is no other way to put it.
Ribeiro's always been a showboater. Just because you wouldn't showboat, doesn't mean he wouldn't.

And I don't expect the Bruins to really go after Ribeiro next game either. At least not any more than they've checked him the first three games. They'd be stupid to let him get them off their games.

Fans have been anticipating the Bruins would be going after Begin all series. They haven't, even after Begin hammered Nylander and injured him.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Fla15

You're right TJF, what do I know... Me and my stupid opinions.

Truth be told I'm less concerned with the theatrics (Oscar worthy or not) and more interested in how Mickey responds to the "negative" attention he's bound to receive on the ice. The next few games will go a long way in determining whether Mickey's "soft" label is accurate or not.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Teezax

That smirk and ego of his will get him nowhere. He thinks that because he led the Habs in points, he's an elite player in the league? let's get serious. He needs to be reminded that he isn't doing **** in these playoffs. He'd be lukcy to get airtime on Bret Lindros' NHL Be a player.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
It's the playoffs!

I don't care

Amen.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:07 PM
TheBudsForever

LOL, he should be playing Premier League soccer!

Honestly though, a pitiful, gutless, dishonourable display from an arrogant, cocky, obnoxious player who has yet to prove that he's even half the player he thinks he is (one good season don't mean squat). Given his small stature, I am sure that whatever he does during the regular season, will completely disappear come the playoffs.

Koivu makes him look like the complete bum that he is.

LOL, can you tell that I've never liked him as a player ?

Old
04-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Fla15

Gentlemen, I'm a die-hard Habs fan but a very, very, very skeptical Riberio fan. Believe me, by no means is this the player I want holding our fabled "torch". That being said, like any fan of a team, I am willing to see how he handles this adversity. Truth be told, I hope the Bruins pound the snot out of him for the rest of the series. But deep down I also hope he scores two points a game in the process. Because lord knows if he can't handle it and folds like a cheap tent, Gainey will ship him and his premadonna antics to the worst team in the west where he can toil in obscurity and never hurt us... LeClaire

Mickey... come out to play-yaaa.

Closed Thread