HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ribeiro's "Performance"

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Eat It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
So it's okay to take out somebody's knees, so long as you don't challenge the bench and smirk about it?
If you really want to discuss McGillis's performance last night, start another thread about it. This one is titled "Ribeiro's 'Performance'". FWIW there was alot of marganally cheap play last night on both sides, most of which I didn't have a problem with.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
bruinmanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboux
I think he has just his blow cut, in good french, but he exaggerate. It was a good play for the them cuz the bruins had injury Begin and face-stick Rivet on the same play... Fraser

Was that anything like the shot Axelsson received to the head????

Old
04-12-2004, 06:18 PM
bruinmanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
This is exactly what I was thinking. Ribeiro is not a moron, If he intended to fake it, he would have at least carried it to the dressing room.

Who says he isn't.....He knew he got caught with his pants down and didn't know how to react except by smirking like the punk he is.I have followed him in the past because he is a fellow Portuguese but he has no class and I will no longer root for him.Guys like this make the whole sport look bad.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat It
If you really want to discuss McGillis's performance last night, start another thread about it. This one is titled "Ribeiro's 'Performance'". FWIW there was alot of marganally cheap play last night on both sides, most of which I didn't have a problem with.
Methinks there are already enough threads about last night's game.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmanny
Was that anything like the shot Axelsson received to the head????
Yeah, the one where Axelsson looked dead and once the play was whistled down, had a miraculous recovery.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:26 PM
bruinmanny

Quote:
Yeah, the one where Axelsson looked dead and once the play was whistled down, had a miraculous recovery.

Axelsson went right over to the Habs bench with a smirk and challenged the team right?

Old
04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

If the Bruins are up in arms about it, hopefully they'll play hard and stick it to Riberio by sending him home to rest his injury by winning the series.
Riberio shouldn't have much to smile about though, 0 pts and a -1 so far in the series after leading the Habs in scoring during the season. If he's telling the Bruins to "bring it", he definitely needs to start bringing something to the table as well.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Ribs didn't skate today so obvisouly he wasn't faking, he popped his shoulder out, those hurt like hell until they are put back in place.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Amen Don Cherry! Put it perfectly between periods tonight. Paraphrasing: Kids don't ever do that. Its a disgrace to the game.

Agree 100%. If moves like that are not denounced publicly, and just passed off as "part of the game," then they become part of the game. And the NHL becomes the WWF.

Pathetic.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
Ribs didn't skate today so obvisouly he wasn't faking, he popped his shoulder out, those hurt like hell until they are put back in place.

Unbiased Canadian
No! He's at acting school! Didn't you hear Don Cherry?!

Old
04-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Skiblitz

Quote:
So it's okay to take out somebody's knees, so long as you don't challenge the bench and smirk about it?
No it' s not Ok to go after someone's knee but some would have thought that by now you would have gotten the hint that he did not go for his (Bégin's) knees (even the Montréal media are not making a case about it...)...
By the way, concerning Ribeiro I liked how Sourray showed "support" on his RDS interview....he basically called the Knuble hit a "bump"...sonds like he was not too impressed with Ribeiro either.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:48 PM
BMRBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian

Unbiased Canadian
According to Souray he got the wind knocked out of him, according to some his shoulder was dislocated, according to others he pinched a nerve in his kneck. Give me a break. Julien had no choice but to have that little mary sit out from practice. It would look horrible if he showed up.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

Do any of you guys think he was the first one to address the Boston bench? Don't you think that some of them (B's) said something to him when he got up (If you watched the game on RDS you can see and hear Lapointe say to Ribeiro :"as-tu besoin d'une civière"? and Ribeiro responds with a grin smile) I don't see anything wrong with that reaction. He surely got called names by the Bs bench, what was he to do, say ooohh yeees I am a wimp or the better response show that he's donig good and provoke them? Again I don't see anything wrong with that. It's called the playoffs.Do any of you think that he faked that pinched nerve (happened to my brother, taught he lost the use of his right arm for a minute, scared the hell out of him and my father at the moment) because he knew clearly with his eyes behind his back that there was a 3 on 2 going on (look at the tape, the moment he touch the ice he froze). I can already imagine what kind of response you guys will come up with and I'll probably react in the same way as Ribeiro (desperation smile concerning your wise remarks :lol)

Old
04-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Here's a picture of Ribs. He looks pretty injured to me:

Old
04-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Skiblitz

Did he **** his pants too ?

Old
04-12-2004, 08:54 PM
mmmBeer

Quote:
Here's a picture of Ribs. He looks pretty injured to me:

I'm glad someone else isn't taking all this crap incredibly seriously.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove91
Do any of you guys think he was the first one to address the Boston bench? Don't you think that some of them (B's) said something to him when he got up (If you watched the game on RDS you can see and hear Lapointe say to Ribeiro :"as-tu besoin d'une civière"? and Ribeiro responds with a grin smile) I don't see anything wrong with that reaction. He surely got called names by the Bs bench, what was he to do, say ooohh yeees I am a wimp or the better response show that he's donig good and provoke them? Again I don't see anything wrong with that. It's called the playoffs.Do any of you think that he faked that pinched nerve (happened to my brother, taught he lost the use of his right arm for a minute, scared the hell out of him and my father at the moment) because he knew clearly with his eyes behind his back that there was a 3 on 2 going on (look at the tape, the moment he touch the ice he froze). I can already imagine what kind of response you guys will come up with and I'll probably react in the same way as Ribeiro (desperation smile concerning your wise remarks :lol)
For the anglos who can't read French, "as-tu besoin d'une civière" would translate into "do you need a stretcher". It was a very arrogant and stupid thing to say by Lapointe and I think that it started the whole smile and "bring it on" attitude shown by Ribeiro.

So, basically, what you guys are saying is that Ribeiro should let people insult him like that? Okay, it could be fine if you were all pacifists, but judging by some polls on the Bruins board, some of you wants retribution by hitting him hard or by cheapshotting (!) Ribeiro. That's some flawed logic if I ever saw some.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:25 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
For the anglos who can't read French, "as-tu besoin d'une civière" would translate into "do you need a stretcher". It was a very arrogant and stupid thing to say by Lapointe and I think that it started the whole smile and "bring it on" attitude shown by Ribeiro.
If that is in fact what Lapointe said, it is hardly arrogant and classless. It is a very poignant and humorous comment. He felt, as did almost all of the hockey world save for one group of fans, that Ribiero embellished his very minor injury. He jokingly asked if he need a stretcher. It's akin to someone getting a papercut and then a friend telling him he'll need stitches. It's more or less using hyperbole for hilarious effect. Having had two pinched nerves in the collarbone region, I know how it feels. At no point in time, would I have writhed on the ground in pain. It just doesn't fit the injury. It's a burning pain. It isn't like breaking something. It doesn't feel remotely similar and I wouldn't consider writhing in pain a corresponding course of action. I'd love to see Ribiero get his comeuppance. And before all these high and mighty types say "this is how the Bertuzzi incident began", all I want is for Boston to physical pound him every chance they get. Legal, clean, and effective, they can make him pay for his classless actions. Don't let him touch the puck without feeling a body on him.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Histrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
If that is in fact what Lapointe said, it is hardly arrogant and classless. It is a very poignant and humorous comment. He felt, as did almost all of the hockey world save for one group of fans, that Ribiero embellished his very minor injury. He jokingly asked if he need a stretcher. It's akin to someone getting a papercut and then a friend telling him he'll need stitches. It's more or less using hyperbole for hilarious effect. Having had two pinched nerves in the collarbone region, I know how it feels. At no point in time, would I have writhed on the ground in pain. It just doesn't fit the injury. It's a burning pain. It isn't like breaking something. It doesn't feel remotely similar and I wouldn't consider writhing in pain a corresponding course of action.
If you were really injured and were in the heat of the moment, would you really think that what Martin Lapointe said wasn't arrogant? If he told it to me, I might very well have wanted to kick his arse to show him to shut up.

What I translated is what Lapointe said but the poster also said that the guys on the Bruins bench were making other comments like this one, maybe worse, maybe not, I didn't hear them. What's sure is that Ribeiro had every right to answer them the way he did in that situation.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
If you were really injured and were in the heat of the moment, would you really think that what Martin Lapointe said wasn't arrogant? If he told it to me, I might very well have wanted to kick his arse to show him to shut up.

What I translated is what Lapointe said but the poster also said that the guys on the Bruins bench were making other comments like this one, maybe worse, maybe not, I didn't hear them. What's sure is that Ribeiro had every right to answer them the way he did in that situation.
Oh, I would most certainly want to kick his butt even if I thoroughly embellished the incident. It was an clear cut insult to an enemy. And I'm sure Ribiero wanted to beat him up. But Ribiero's one of the softest players in the league. As much as I hate Lapointe, Ribiero wouldn't fight him if Lapointe had been dead for three years.

And yes, Ribiero has every right to act the way he did both during the performance and afterwards. But just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it should be done. It was classless. But so was Ribiero's act in center ice.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Histrion

Quote:
Oh, I would most certainly want to kick his butt even if I thoroughly embellished the incident. It was an clear cut insult to an enemy. And I'm sure Ribiero wanted to beat him up. But Ribiero's one of the softest players in the league. As much as I hate Lapointe, Ribiero wouldn't fight him if Lapointe had been dead for three years.

And yes, Ribiero has every right to act the way he did both during the performance and afterwards. But just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it should be done. It was classless. But so was Ribiero's act in center ice.
If he wasn't injured and faked it, which hasn't been proved, then I agree that it was totally classless. However, I believe that someone has to be considered innocent until it has been proven that he is guilty, for that reason, I am not willing to pass a judgement on Ribeiro's behaviour.

What I know, at this very moment, is that Ribs wasn't at the practice today and that it is unsure he will play tomorrow or not. It might be a PR move or something like that for Ribs, but then again, who am I to judge Bob Gainey and Claude Julien that way..

Old
04-12-2004, 09:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
If he wasn't injured and faked it, which hasn't been proved, then I agree that it was totally classless. However, I believe that someone has to be considered innocent until it has been proven that he is guilty, for that reason, I am not willing to pass a judgement on Ribeiro's behaviour.

Someone is only innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. In the court of public opinion, we don't have such burdens. You can give him the benefit of the doubt. It's your prerogotive. Would that decision be influenced in any way by your love of the Habs? I'm inclined to give players the benefit of the doubt as well. But I have no love for either team/player involved. Honestly, I could care less. I'm not hampered by this and just call it as I see it. And I see an acting job.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Histrion

Quote:
Someone is only innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. In the court of public opinion, we don't have such burdens. You can give him the benefit of the doubt. It's your prerogotive. Would that decision be influenced in any way by your love of the Habs? I'm inclined to give players the benefit of the doubt as well. But I have no love for either team/player involved. Honestly, I could care less. I'm not hampered by this and just call it as I see it. And I see an acting job.
I'm not hampered by it either. I look at the infos I have and I see if I can draw a conclusion. Some Habs fan are saying that McGillis made a cheapshot but, personally, I don't do this because it seems to me he wasn't trying to do so, rather avoiding a hit. I give the benifit of the doubt to both side, I'm not a mindless homer even though I might something have a little bias toward the Habs, but I don't think it's the case right now.

Anyways, I don't think that this little discussion will amount to any change of opinion so it's quite useless right now.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
And before all these high and mighty types say "this is how the Bertuzzi incident began", all I want is for Boston to physical pound him every chance they get. Legal, clean, and effective, they can make him pay for his classless actions. Don't let him touch the puck without feeling a body on him.
As an aside, shouldn't the Bruins be doing that anyway?

Old
04-12-2004, 10:39 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
any video of this?

Closed Thread