HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best leaf goalie in the last 15 years?

View Poll Results: Who has been the best Leaf goalie over the last 15 years
Ed Belfour 41 47.67%
Curtis Joseph 23 26.74%
Felix Potvin 13 15.12%
Grant Fuhr 4 4.65%
Allan Bester 1 1.16%
Peter Ing 2 2.33%
Rick Wamsley 0 0%
Glenn Healy 0 0%
Daren Puppa 0 0%
Trevor Kidd(hehe) 1 1.16%
Tom Barraso 0 0%
Mikael Tellqvist 0 0%
Jeff Reese 0 0%
Damian Rhodes 1 1.16%
Don Beaupre 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 01:43 AM
Mike1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Felix Potvin without a doubt. The man was the single best thing to happen to the Leafs in between Wendel Clark, and Doug Gilmour. He held the single season shots record until this season (I believe Luongo took it from him). He was a God in net for us, and I'm sorry to say, he beats out both Joseph and Belfour for my pick. Let's not forget who took us the closest to a Cup in the last 30-someodd years. Felix Potvin. He got screwed by the Gretzky highstick to Dougie, and was interfered with on the series winner.

Felix Potvin takes the cake, I say bring him back to Toronto to split the starts with Tellqvist once Eddie retires.
My vote goes to Potvin also. The Leafs had the most playoff sucess with him between the pipes. He played really well in those playoff runs.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:15 AM
BlueBlood17

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Right now it's undoubtedly Joseph. He took this team to 2 Conference Finals almost all on his own.
I hate when I hear that. Yes, Joseph was good during his time in Toronto and won some games for us. But that first year when we went to the Conference Finals were the HIGHEST scoring team in the league. The second time we went to the ECF with Joseph, it was hardly he who got us there on his own. He was brutal in the Isles series, and had about 2 good games vs. the Sens. He played awesome in the Carolina series, but he hardly got us there all by his lonesome.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:38 AM
nordique

vCash:
Potvin's playoff performance in 1992-94 was magical. I voted for him.

The best goalie, period, to play for the Leafs in this time is Belfour, followed by Fuhr, Barrasso and Joseph.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Hockey Talker29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Felix Potvin without a doubt. The man was the single best thing to happen to the Leafs in between Wendel Clark, and Doug Gilmour. He held the single season shots record until this season (I believe Luongo took it from him). He was a God in net for us, and I'm sorry to say, he beats out both Joseph and Belfour for my pick. Let's not forget who took us the closest to a Cup in the last 30-someodd years. Felix Potvin. He got screwed by the Gretzky highstick to Dougie, and was interfered with on the series winner.

Felix Potvin takes the cake, I say bring him back to Toronto to split the starts with Tellqvist once Eddie retires.
I'm probably the biggest Potvin fan in the world, so I'd absolutely love it if he got another shot here. He'll be a free agent, and he'll likely come cheap, so I think it would make good sense. My fingers are crossed...and ya, I voted for Potvin because I felt that he gave us the best chance to win the cup of all of those goalies. I really feel that Eddie can do it for us this year though. I have full confidence in him.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:13 AM
Snugglepuss

Belfour

Old
04-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Augustus

Pretty silly bunch of names after Eddie, Cujo and Potvin.

In considering "best" the others simply do not belong on the list.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:23 AM
musdy

id say cujo for almost leading us to the stanley cup finals

Old
04-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Belfour has been solid for Toronto these past two years. I know it's going to be a heated discussion when people compare Cujo to Belfour but the reality of it is, is that Belfour is or should be on a down swing of his career when you look at his age, Cujo did what he did for Toronto in his prime. When you compare a goalie who is in the twilight of his career *Belfour* To a Cujo who was in his prime and compare the numbers Belfour still gets a rather large edge. Not to take anything away from Joseph though he was great for Toronto and made some huge saves the thing people don't realize is that Belfour does not look as spectacular as Cujo simply because he does not normally put himself out of position like Joseph did. Thus Belfour does not stand out as much on those big saves that other wise would have been spectacular saves by many other unorthodox goalies in the league. IMO.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Augustus

Joseph had been spectacular on many occasions but day in and day out Belfour has been most consistent goaltender Leafs have had over past two decades (well, Kidd is also consistent but not in sense of this thread). Eddie lets in fewer soft goals, is caught out of position less often, and handles the puck better. Hell, clod Belak handles the puck better than Joseph.

So, the envelope please:

Belfour wins!

Old
04-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Red Horner*

Cujo took us too the third rd twice and two second rds, untill Eddie takes us to the third rd it isn't even close. The bottom line is that Cujo made MSL&E millions with all those home playoff games.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:01 PM
albathegreat*

Beaupre for sure , how many games did he even play? not many I don't think

THE BEST is Belfour, the best for the Leafs, at the moment is Cujo-playoffs, Potvin-playoffs, THEN Eddie, Belfour will be number 1 soon though.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Raging Bull

We all love Eddie, but how can any of us forget all those games Cujo stole for us in the playoffs. Jeeze, half the time we shouldn't even have been making it out of the first round, and he kept us in there. Potvin played amazing for us in the playoffs as well, got us to within one goal of the Stanley Cup finals..........more then Cujo can say.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Schenn02

I'll say Cujo, he did a lot for us when he was here, pretty much our star player. He took us to the conference finals twice but the way he left pretty much made me forget about him. I laughed and laughed when the Wings were eliminated in 4 games last year but Cujo did a lot for our team. When Eddie raises that cup over his head, he will be the best.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Kenadyan

Sorry for my unpopular opinion, but I'm going to say Cujo. Some of the saves I watched him make were spectacular!!! Not to take anything away from Potvin, but I'll always remember the 1993 series against LA more for the way Dougie and Wendell played and Kerry Fraser's phantom penalty call in game 6!!

Cujo got the Leafs oh-so-close in '99 (I really thought that that year was the Leafs best chance at the Cup -- yes, even better than '93) against Buffalo.

Please Eddie, do something this year to change my mind!!!

Old
04-12-2004, 02:43 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
Sorry for my unpopular opinion, but I'm going to say Cujo. Some of the saves I watched him make were spectacular!!! Not to take anything away from Potvin, but I'll always remember the 1993 series against LA more for the way Dougie and Wendell played and Kerry Fraser's phantom penalty call in game 6!!

Cujo got the Leafs oh-so-close in '99 (I really thought that that year was the Leafs best chance at the Cup -- yes, even better than '93) against Buffalo.

Il second the

Old
04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
monkey_00*

ED BELFOUR

Old
04-12-2004, 03:21 PM
ClarkGilachuk

in my opinion in terms of what he has done for the team right now it's
1. potvin
2. cujo
3. belfour

with a good playoff eddie will shoot to #1

Old
04-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Verbal Kint*

What kind of a poll is this? No Trevor Kidd option? Pfff...

In all seriousness, Belfour has been the best goalie since Johnny Bower for the Leafs.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Stajan_Steen

Don Beaupre.
No seriously, who was better than Eddie or Cujo?
PS Kidd is there, look.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Verbal Kint*

Whoops, must've missed him.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:31 PM
monkey_00*

Alexander the Great..........

I still find it surprising that we still can manage to get over 20 people to vote for Cu-Chokes.......maybe they were the Non-Leafs?.......would have been nice for us to see who everybody voted for..........as for me I voted EDDIE.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Hockey Talker29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan

In that series Cujo displayed some of the most atrocious goaltending I have ever seen. He was ridiculously bad. Both years that Potvin took the Leafs to the semi-finals he played better than Cujo did in that season.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Any body just has to watch Eddie in this series to get your answer to the question..

Old
04-12-2004, 10:01 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Any body just has to watch Eddie in this series to get your answer to the question..
Messenger........

You're absolutely right........so let me see now...that's 4-shutouts now for Eddie in his last 5-games........Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Closed Thread