HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something Unique?

Old
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
aerogirl

vCash: 500
Something Unique?

Hey everyone!

I'll be in town in early December and I'm looking for something that is unique to Coyotes fans, the arena, immediate area, etc. Are there any pre or post game "rituals" for fans that attend the games. Is there a hangout spot that is unique to Phoenix/Glendale?

How about at the game?

I'd like to experience the game like a "local." Thanks!!

aerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogirl View Post
Hey everyone!

I'll be in town in early December and I'm looking for something that is unique to Coyotes fans, the arena, immediate area, etc. Are there any pre or post game "rituals" for fans that attend the games. Is there a hangout spot that is unique to Phoenix/Glendale?

How about at the game?

I'd like to experience the game like a "local." Thanks!!
I don't know how unique it is but if you are attending a Saturday game, you are cordially invited to attend the pregame tailgate with the Coyotes Coalition. (yes the weather is usually still nice enough to tailgate in December) LOL

just let me know the date and I'll be sure to keep you up to speed on the tailatin info and location.

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
aerogirl

Figures...I'll be there for a Thursday game. December 3rd, I think. Thank you though!

What is this "Coyotes Coalition"?

Old
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

You can howl at the game maybe?

Some people think it's stupid but I do it. I think I'm pretty good at it actually. Lotta practice in the car on the way to the arena.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Don LXXIX

I live in southern California and my wife and I howl at the television when we score a goal.

Don LXXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don LXXIX View Post
I live in southern California and my wife and I howl at the television when we score a goal.
Okay now you are a little weird.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Awesome wife, though.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
RR

Quote:
Figures...I'll be there for a Thursday game. December 3rd, I think. Thank you though!

What is this "Coyotes Coalition"?
There are several restaurants and bars at Westgate that are steps from the arena. The YardHouse, Saddle Ranch Chop House and McFadden's are usually pretty busy before a game. Check out the Westgate site as there are many more.
http://www.westgatecitycenter.com/explore_westgate.php

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:17 AM
aerogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
There are several restaurants and bars at Westgate that are steps from the arena. The YardHouse, Saddle Ranch Chop House and McFadden's are usually pretty busy before a game. Check out the Westgate site as there are many more.
Thanks! I've been there before, but this time I'm hoping for something else that I may not know about, etc.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:42 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
"He shoots, he scores, hey goalie, YOU SUCK!"
I actually hate that for whatever reason.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Coyote_Fan

just showing up is good enough lately.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
aerogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Thanks. I've been there for a game and to stay a few times now - just looking for something different and unique. Keep the ideas coming!

Old
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

You know what I don't like is the "Let's Go Coyotes" chant. Don't get me wrong I still do it at the games but the reason I hate it is because it is NOT unique. I wish we could be a little more imaginative as fans.

I was all on the cow bell bandwagon a few years ago but that didn't last long because they stopped letting us bring them in.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:37 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
You know what I don't like is the "Let's Go Coyotes" chant. Don't get me wrong I still do it at the games but the reason I hate it is because it is NOT unique. I wish we could be a little more imaginative as fans.

I was all on the cow bell bandwagon a few years ago but that didn't last long because they stopped letting us bring them in.
I always thought Go Yotes Go was pretty good but I'm not very creative.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Don LXXIX

back about 40 years ago the California Seals had a cheerleader guy named Crazy George. He had a drum and would get the half the arena crowd doing part of a two word cheer like "DEE" and the other half doing the "FENCE" It might sound lame but was actually pretty neat. Crazy George was in reality, possibly the only neat thing about the Seals as I remember....

Old
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Kaizen

Didn't Crazy George "emigrate" to some other teams and/or sports? Wasn't he a blond haired, bald (oxymoron?) guy that seemed to wack his head almost as much as the drum?

Edit: Yup.

http://www.krazygeorge.com/indexFS.html

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
PhoPhan

Ugh. Say no to the cowbell. It'll start as an innocent clamor after goals, but it'll quickly turn into a wall of noise that never really stops for the duration of the game. One person will bang it for a big hit, another for a bad call. Then you have someone banging for line changes and someone else banging for icing. Someone bangs each time a minute ticks off the clock. Someone else bangs at broken sticks and lost helmets. All of a sudden, there is no point in the game where a bell isn't being rung. There are lulls when it's not as loud, but it's always there. Always.

Nip this sonic dystopia in the bud.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Thanks! I've been there before, but this time I'm hoping for something else that I may not know about, etc.
There are a few places that are good before a game that you might like at http://www.shopparkwest.com/ (it is close to the arena)

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
At this point, getting any type of interaction from the crowd has got to be valuable. I understand your point, but that's why there are ushers and why people have the right to complain about the noise. You could say the same thing about people shouting out loud during the game or any other type of display. I would tend to say that something is better than nothing in the Coyotes current state.

May as well tell people to show no enthusiasm at the game and treat it like a golf event, that's how they are acting now -- if they even go.
I have to agree with this. The one thing that has been great this year is even though the crowds are small they are loud. I guess that's what you get when there are only us diehards there. We don't have to worry about all the people there just because they got free tickets just sitting on their hands the whole game!

Old
11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
PhoPhan

Cow bells are much, much louder than any person can be for a sustained period of time. They started popping up at Penn State football games a few years ago and are a big reason I didn't get tickets my junior or senior year. It's not an enjoyable experience for anyone but the self-important *******s who bring them.

Old
11-02-2009, 03:04 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Cow bells are much, much louder than any person can be for a sustained period of time. They started popping up at Penn State football games a few years ago and are a big reason I didn't get tickets my junior or senior year. It's not an enjoyable experience for anyone but the self-important *******s who bring them.
Ok then, do you have any ideas since you live in such a traditional sports market? I just would like something loud (maybe not annoying loud), fun and unique.

Any old Roadrunner fans out there? What was it like back then?

Old
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Robotbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don LXXIX View Post
back about 40 years ago the California Seals had a cheerleader guy named Crazy George. He had a drum and would get the half the arena crowd doing part of a two word cheer like "DEE" and the other half doing the "FENCE" It might sound lame but was actually pretty neat. Crazy George was in reality, possibly the only neat thing about the Seals as I remember....
I remember him at A's games when I was a kid. Cool guy.

It was a neat moment when the fans gave the team a standing O the last 5 minutes of the game a few games ago. That would be a nice tradition to arise, for the fans to stand the last few minutes of the game (maybe only if they're winning/tied?).

Robotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:18 PM
PhoPhan

Teams have had success with those thunder sticks before, but those are just as bad as cowbells. Looking to traditional sports markets (especially one like Philadelphia) is not the best idea, either, as they can usually just be loud on their own without any kind of gimmickry.

The Coyotes probably need some kind of gimmickry to bridge the gap to being able to have the fans generate noise on their own, but you have to be careful not to be too cheesy or abrasive lest you drive away as many as you bring in.

One thing I loved was the Rally Monkey that the Angels had a few years ago. Something more charming than grating, immediately identifiable, and with a bit of a back story. Like Red Wings fans with octopi, but less obnoxious.

Old
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Don LXXIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Didn't Crazy George "emigrate" to some other teams and/or sports? Wasn't he a blond haired, bald (oxymoron?) guy that seemed to wack his head almost as much as the drum?

Edit: Yup.

http://www.krazygeorge.com/indexFS.html
Thanks for the link....

Old
11-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=683599

Check out some links I have up and read through the posts of this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote