HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes Ownership/Financial Situation #8

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Kaizen

vCash: 500
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1356687/

Everybody's favourite guy - DAVID SHOALTS

Old
11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1356687/

Everybody's favourite guy - DAVID SHOALTS
I'm not going to hold back on this. I don't want to see Canada get another NHL team until those who are anti-growth and anti-expansion get a very big clue.
That clue my friend is that all sports evolve and expand on the global stage and hockey should never be an exception to this.

The more I read garbage like this the more respect I lose for the majority in Canada. If this type of hockey elitist crap continues(especially if there is America and Arizona bashing behind it) then I will start losing respect for our largest trading partner in the world.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
He Lied to Mario

Bill Daly on the FAN 590 yesterday

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...09_164315_2064

Old
11-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Kaizen

TGO says he's not bitter.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...623/story.html

Old
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Some stuff I got from my rep via email!

1. Monday night games in Nov and Dec are Season Ticket Holder appreciation nights.
STH receive special discounts on tickets for that game and $2.00 off a concession item.

2. Nov 16th Sean Burke will meet with STH from 5-6pm at gate 7 with to talk about the future of the Coyotes in AZ along with answering any questions that are asked by the STH base.
Posted via Mobile Device

3. STH's get 20% off at the Coyotes Den on Monday night games in Nov-Dec.

Now I can buy that Coyotes pint glass I always wanted. LOL

Old
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
He Lied to Mario

NHL to negotiate new lease with Glendale?

From the NHL's website

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=505626

Does this perhaps bring Reinsdorf back in because he would be buying the lease from the NHL instead of having to negotiate directly with Glendale. Plus it puts big time pressure on the city I would assume.

Old
11-10-2009, 11:11 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Lied to Mario View Post
From the NHL's website

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=505626

Does this perhaps bring Reinsdorf back in because he would be buying the lease from the NHL instead of having to negotiate directly with Glendale. Plus it puts big time pressure on the city I would assume.
All that's telling me is buyer interest is very, very low right now.

Old
11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
He Lied to Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Or maybe it is much easier for the league to negotiate with the city as opposed to having one, two, or three individual groups negotiating separately with less leverage than the league has.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think the challenge right now is that every potential buyer has a lot of negotiating to do with the CoG before they can even consider buying the team. That's a pretty big hassle that takes a lot of time, effort and money. If the NHL was able to negotiate a lease that seems fair, they could then just sell the team in a more turnkey fashion instead of potential buyers having a lot of extra obstacles to overcome.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:38 AM
yakko

Quote:
It shouldn't tell you anything of the sort. You've really become quite the pessimist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I think the challenge right now is that every potential buyer has a lot of negotiating to do with the CoG before they can even consider buying the team. That's a pretty big hassle that takes a lot of time, effort and money. If the NHL was able to negotiate a lease that seems fair, they could then just sell the team in a more turnkey fashion instead of potential buyers having a lot of extra obstacles to overcome.
I would hope that is the more likely scenario. It was my first reaction to reading this news. Every buyer is going to want to get a better lease with Glendale, but they all have different types and amounts of leverage. If the NHL can negotiate a favorable lease agreement it removes roadblocks to the sales process in general, it creates a focused bargaining partner for Glendale that may shorten the process, and may open up additional bidders.

It's just smart business regardless of the number of bidders.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

See what is hard to comprehend, each buyer may want and need different things from the CoG. Incl access that that supposed $25m set aside for that parking garage. What is the league going to negotiate? The lowest possible payment? IEH and Renz and whomever else has had almost a year since Moyes gave up on the team to sit down with the City and parties to figure something out. Now granted Moyes little stunt on May 5th put a damper on that, but how frickin hard is it to negotiate this lease deal? Either your in or out? Thats what hes me skeptical. Either the league is a pawn desprate to get Renz in the mix and is doing his dirty work, or it doesn't want the IE play 6 games in the Toon or the league just wants to sandbag us all.

It didn't take this long for the League and the Union to negotiate the last CBA, once the parties actually put conjecture aside and sat down to really negotiate.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:05 AM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
See what is hard to comprehend, each buyer may want and need different things from the CoG. Incl access that that supposed $25m set aside for that parking garage. What is the league going to negotiate? The lowest possible payment? IEH and Renz and whomever else has had almost a year since Moyes gave up on the team to sit down with the City and parties to figure something out. Now granted Moyes little stunt on May 5th put a damper on that, but how frickin hard is it to negotiate this lease deal? Either your in or out? Thats what hes me skeptical. Either the league is a pawn desprate to get Renz in the mix and is doing his dirty work, or it doesn't want the IE play 6 games in the Toon or the league just wants to sandbag us all.

It didn't take this long for the League and the Union to negotiate the last CBA, once the parties actually put conjecture aside and sat down to really negotiate.
Don't forget that just because IEH and Reinsdorf are the names we've heard, there aren't others nosing around. If during those queries the league has come to the conclusion that it negotiating a lease with the City can open the door to more bids, it would be derelict if it did not do so.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
You are correct..

Old
11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
It shouldn't tell you anything of the sort. You've really become quite the pessimist.
I guess so. But considering:

- I don't see the NHL being the negociator between the other 29 owners / potential owners and local government orgs.
- We've been told Ice Edge was negociating the lease with the city. This can't have gone according to plan if the NHL feels the need to negociate directly with the city.
- The NHL & Reinsdorf were supposed to have a proposal in place 8 months ago. What happened to that?
- We're now mid-November, only 45 days away from the NHL's self imposed deadline, and according to Daly's statement, neither the league nor potential buyers still know "what the lease is going to look like".

... forgive my skepticism.

I would have hoped that at this point, all parties were pretty clear on what the lease is going to look like, and right now we'd be down to technicalities. But words like "It's one possibility of moving toward resolution", "What's the lease going to look like?", "either people want to buy it on those terms or they don't", and "we haven’t had that discussion yet with the city of Glendale" hardly indicate any kind of progress.

But I could be missing something. How should I look at this? What's in here that makes you confident the NHL is getting closer to finding a buyer?

Old
11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
yakko

Quote:

- I don't see the NHL being the negociator between the other 29 owners / potential owners and local government orgs.
I don't think they need to do that. If the NHL can just create a head start or a baseline for how a new agreement would look, that lets things move in parallel.

Quote:
- We've been told Ice Edge was negociating the lease with the city. This can't have gone according to plan if the NHL feels the need to negociate directly with the city.
- The NHL & Reinsdorf were supposed to have a proposal in place 8 months ago. What happened to that?
- We're now mid-November, only 45 days away from the NHL's self imposed deadline, and according to Daly's statement, neither the league nor potential buyers still know "what the lease is going to look like".
All good points.

Quote:
I think skepticism in this case is healthy enough. I just think it also helps if you don't read the worst case scenario in every statement or at least don't equate it even if you think it a possibility. Expect the worst, but hope for the best makes for a nice balance even if it is cliche.

Quote:
But I could be missing something. How should I look at this? What's in here that makes you confident the NHL is getting closer to finding a buyer?
I'm not confident, I'm hopeful. I'm not going to be surprised by anything at this point.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:52 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I think skepticism in this case is healthy enough. I just think it also helps if you don't read the worst case scenario in every statement or at least don't equate it even if you think it a possibility. Expect the worst, but hope for the best makes for a nice balance even if it is cliche.
Fair enough. I'll try to restrain myself from posting my pessimistic points of view. As you mentioned, there's already enough negativity surrounding the team.

But man I wish I knew what exactly is the status of the negotiations. Not having a clue what interested parties are looking for and what the city is ready to give up is driving me crazy. Are they even close? Or is the situation pretty much hopeless? At least the bankruptcy trial was public, we had access to all information. I hate the current situation.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
AnalogMan

Quote:

I would have hoped that at this point, all parties were pretty clear on what the lease is going to look like, and right now we'd be down to technicalities. But words like "It's one possibility of moving toward resolution", "What's the lease going to look like?", "either people want to buy it on those terms or they don't", and "we havenít had that discussion yet with the city of Glendale" hardly indicate any kind of progress.

I read it more as the NHL doesn't want to award the team to Ice Edge without making every effort to attract more bidders. If negotiating a lease with the COG can attract more bidders, fine. If not, Ice Edge will be the buyer.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I read it more as the NHL doesn't want to award the team to Ice Edge without making every effort to attract more bidders. If negotiating a lease with the COG can attract more bidders, fine. If not, Ice Edge will be the buyer.
That's an interesting analysis.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:02 PM
yakko

Quote:
Fair enough. I'll try to restrain myself from posting my pessimistic points of view. As you mentioned, there's already enough negativity surrounding the team.
My intention was definitely not to suggest you limit your posting. I just hope we can all keep our heads up and avoid a tailspin when we still don't really know what is going on.

Quote:
But man I wish I knew what exactly is the status of the negotiations. Not having a clue what interested parties are looking for and what the city is ready to give up is driving me crazy. Are they even close? Or is the situation pretty much hopeless? At least the bankruptcy trial was public, we had access to all information. I hate the current situation.
I completely relate to that.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
That's an interesting analysis.

He is correct, the IEG already has a deal worked with Glendale restricting the possibly owners to ONE.. If the NHL has a lease to present with the team as a whole, it will make it easier for other potential owners to enter the fray since they will not have to do their own negotiating with the CoG.. The NHL is trying to get maximum value for an asset that is VERY hard to place a value on in its current condition..

Old
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
starman
we're here to stay!

It sounds to me that the NHL would ideally like an owner who will have all 41 home games played in Glendale, but that they will likely accept Ice Edge's proposal if they can't find that other buyer. I'm keeping a positive attitude towards the whole thing and holding fast to the vision of NHL hockey in Glendale for many years. It's definitely testing my patience way beyond what I expected back in may when the bankruptcy was announced. In my gut I have a good feeling about a positive outcome!

Old
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Glad I peeked in this thread(I generally try to keep my head in the sand with regards to this issue) because that post definitely made me feel a little better.

Old
11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
He Lied to Mario

Quote:

The NHL doesn't own the other 29 teams, but they do own the Coyotes. So they aren't the middle man, at the current moment they are the owners. After what's happened this year I am assuming the NHL wants as much control of the process as possible. Take the other tactic, and say that Ice Edge comes close to an agreement with the COG and then backs out at the last second, you would have to wait for another ownership group to start the whole process over again.

Old
11-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Lied to Mario View Post
The NHL doesn't own the other 29 teams, but they do own the Coyotes. So they aren't the middle man, at the current moment they are the owners. After what's happened this year I am assuming the NHL wants as much control of the process as possible. Take the other tactic, and say that Ice Edge comes close to an agreement with the COG and then backs out at the last second, you would have to wait for another ownership group to start the whole process over again.
Two very good points I didn't think even about.

Old
11-20-2009, 07:27 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Yotes Lose $5mil In Oct

Globe & Mail Article. At the end it mentions $300+ spent on tattoos. Granted it's "Pennies", but wtf? I'm guessing the frivolous spending will be coming to an end with the NHL in control.

Closed Thread