HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TONY MARINARO’s REBUILDING PLAN FOR MONTREAL CANADIENS.

Old
11-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Habanero514

vCash: 500

As heard on the Team 990

Analysis: When Bob Gainey took over this team, they were small at center, lacked a powerforward and lacked NHL depth. Seven years later, the same problems exist. During the past couple of years, Bob has let assets like: Souray, Streit, Komisarek, Ryder, Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev, and others move on to other teams without getting anything in return. Imagine the draft picks and/or prospects he could have accumulated. The goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Under Gainey, this team never won more than two games of Round 2. As for 2009-10, with Gionta and Markov out longterm, Montreal will likely not make the playoffs. And, even if they do, take a look at the core players on Pittsburgh, Washington, and Philadelphia. How can Montreal get by them in the East?
Last July, Bob Gainey was a buyer. Less than 6 months later, and in his final contract year, he cannot be a seller. But, its obvious this team is better off selling right now than buying.
Solution: Bob Gainey needs to be replaced immediately. Geoff Molson, must bring in a new GM who knows the league and all the players. The new GM must implement a rebuilding plan. We can throw out 100 names. But, there is a bilingual Montrealer, who has experience in scouting and coaching. He also knows all the players and has won 2 Stanley Cups working under Bob Johnson and Scotty Bowman. His name: Pierre McGuire.

MAIN ISSUES: SALARY CAP. No cap flexibility going forward. Salary 2009-10: $60 million. Salary 2010-11: $46.6 million paid to 16 players /
Salary 2011-12: $24.6 million paid to 6 players. Solution: Trade 9-10 players.
(1) Scott Gomez. 7.357 million per season over next 4 years. Enough said. DESTINATION: He might be impossible to trade. But, you can try: Colombus, Nashville or New York Islanders. Can you get RJ Umberger or Antoine Vermette from Colombus in return? (2-3-4-5) Roman Hamrlik, Jaroslav Spacek, Hal Gill, and Paul Mara. DESTINATION: These 4 veteran defencemen should be traded during the week of trade deadline. Teams that are 1 d-men away from a cup run will probably add these players. (6-7) Andrei Kostitsyn and Sergei Kostitsyn. These 2 players have off-ice issues. They both need a new start. DESTINATION: Andrei Kostitsyn= NYR, STL? Sergei Kostitsyn= Edmonton? (8) Glen Metropolit. DESTINATION: To a playoff team looking for an experienced player. (9) Jaroslav Halak. DESTINATION: can be packaged with (MAYBE Plekanec) to Detroit.
Halak and Plekanec for Fillpula? Or Halak for Helm?

*** N.B. You hold on to Cammalleri and Gionta for now. They will assume leadership of the team and show the young players the way.
As for Markov, he will return in February. Teams might be tentative to give fair market value because they might want to wait to see if he can be the same player he was before the injury. Re-evaluate his situation 1 year from now. ***

3 CONTRACTS TO SETTLE IMMEDIATELY:
Solution: (1) Carey Price. When building a team you must target your franchise player/s and lock them up. Carey Price is the franchise player. He must be signed to a 6 to 8 year contract. (2) Tomas Plekanec. He is UFA at years end and will be top 2 point getter on the team this season. His value is rising. He must be signed to a 4 year deal. Why? If you decide to keep him, by signing him now you don’t lose him to UFA. If you decide to package him, he will have more value as a signed player. (3) George Laraque: he has 2 to 3 herniated discs. He must be bought out.

COACHING STAFF:
The new GM should choose his own coach,
however Jacques Martin is signed to a 4 year deal.
Solution: The GM cannot ask the owner to absorb the coaches contract one year in. Stick with the coaches for a while. And, put emphasis on development.

TEAM PRESIDENT. Decision to be made by Geoff Molson.

ADMINISTRATION
. Julien Brisebois, has not shown in the past that he has an understanding of a players real monetary value. Furthermore, he wasn’t able to convince Gainey to negotiate during the season.
Solution: Ideally, his successor is a former NHLer with a business background and knowledge of CBA and current players. As a replacement how about Vincent Damphousse?

MARKETING. Some fans might not accept a rebuilding plan.
Solution: Must lower ticket prices across the board. And, must give the team back to the fans. Setup a program to get players out in the communities, like the Montreal Impact and Montreal Alouettes.

PRO PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.
Players not developing at NHL level.
Solution: Need someone to work OT with some players like Claude Ruel used to do. Players are developed in Hamilton but once they get here they play well for a month or two and stop progressing. Need to hire someone hockey smart and versatile. And, a good teacher. How about Gaston Gingras?

PRO PLAYER MENTORING. Players need to live with a teammate or a family. Players are rock stars here and city has too many temptations.
Solution: Do exactly what Pittsburgh did. It worked.

AMATEUR SCOUTING IN QUEBEC.
There is an inability to recognize francophone talent playing in the QMJHL. Can no longer miss out on Patrice Bergeron’s or David Perron’s of the QMJHL.
Solution: Denis Morel and Michel Boucher must be let go. Try to hire a former offensive player from the QMJHL. The ‘‘Q’’ is known for wide open hockey and offensive hockey players. There is a former NHLer who was an offensive player in the QMJHL and can recognize offensive talent. He is 2nd alltime goal scorer and point getter in QMJHL. He also coached in the QMJHL. His name: Stephan Lebeau.

AMATEUR SCOUTING OVERALL. Trevor Timmins, would like to have a mulligan on the 2003 and 2004 drafts. However, to his defence those were his first 2 years drafting with Montreal. In 2003, he worked with Andre Savard and Pierre Dorion. So, it wasn’t all his fault. Since then, he has drafted many NHLers, two of which I believe are home runs: Carey Price and PK Subban.
Solution: Trevor Timmins , can continue running the Amateur Scouting Department BUT the GM has to make some changes to the existing staff.

FRANCOPHONE PRESENCE. A rebuilding phase is not easy for fans or the media. Adding a few francophones who want to play here will help.
Solution: Identify all francophones or Quebec born players in the NHL. Try to determine who might be available and who could be a fit. Players must be affordable as the goal is to create cap space. Examples: ANTOINE VERMETTE (CLMB), P-LUC LETOURNEAU LEBLOND (NJ), P-A PARENTEAU (NYR), ALEXANDRE PICARD (OTT), DAVID LALIBERTE (PHI), MATTHEW LOMBARDI (PHO), TORREY MITCHELL (SJ), STEVE BERNIER (VAN), ALEXANDRE BURROWS (VAN),MATHIEU PERREAULT (WAS).

***Maybe even consider acquiring Angelo Esposito from Atlanta and send him to Hamilton. N.B. Some players on the above list might not be available BUT you might want to consider trading a superior player to try to acquire them.

PRO SCOUTING DEPARTMENT. Needs to be restructured. Since Pierre Gauthier has been in place 38 trades have been made. Probably 2 have
worked out. Gauthier, Gordie Roberts and Doug Gibson must be replaced.
Solution: Try to pry Montrealer, Blair Mackasey from Minnesota. And, move Vaughan Karpan from Amateur Scout to Pro Scout. Many hockey people believe Vaughan has a good eye for pro talent. Hire 2 more pro scouts.

CENTRE ICE POSITION. Small at Center. No elite centerman on team or in system. Top center prospect is Louis Leblanc. He is at least 3 years away.
Solution: Draft a centreman with your 1st pick. Ideally, Tyler Seguin RH Shot.

POWER-FORWARD. Currently, no legitimate top 6 is a powerforward.
Solution: You try to develop Pacioretty into one. If not, what’s Andrew Conboy’s potential? If not, you must identify one and trade for him.

BACK-UP GOALIE. Trade Halak. Need a veteran to backup Carey Price.
Solution: Scott Clemmenson from Florida would be a great choice.
He used to backup Brodeur, he would be a great mentor for Carey Price.

ENTERTAINING HOCKEY. During a rebuilding phase you will lose more games than you will win. However, you can still be entertaining. The key is to put together a young, FAST, dynamic team.
Solution: Trade for speedy players like: Cogliano, Vermette, Lombardi, Helm.

Your thoughts ?

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
My thoughts are that we're 20 games into a new season with a new coach and a bunch of new players going forward without our best player so give me a ****ing break Marinaro because this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

/thoughts

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
David_99

I stopped reading after "Pierre McGuire."

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
CPrice

My thoughts.... ROFL.
Don't know where to begin to rip this apart...

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
So basically our plan is to trade away almost every player currently capable of playing in the NHL? Pass.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Habs Junkie

Pierre McGuire???? What a joke... I hope the Molsons are more intelligent then that

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Hermamoud

How come Jellybeans only writes posts about Tony Marinaro? Also, it's a pretty detailed plan if it was "as heard on the team 990".

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Form and Substance

What is with this obsession with power forwards? Has a team ever been as hypothetically dependent on a power forward as we have?

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Some nice thought put into this post by yourself, or Marinaro?

I like the plan, although I think a couple of things sound easier on paper than in reality. Getting Pierre McGuire to steer the Canadiens is a major proposition. I like it, because I think McGuire has a good handle on players across the league (and our pro-scouting is dubious at present). However, I think he would be a tough sell in Montreal. I just get a sense that his actual NHL experience isn't enough to convince people that he is capable of the job here in Montreal.

Secondly, trading our big contracts is difficult. Rangers had a tough time moving Gomez, and now that he has had a poor start this year, I think his stock has fallen even lower than this summer. If we are able to move him (and I agree, it would have to be to a bottom feeder, who need to make up salary to meet the floor), we can't expect more than a bottom pick IMO. That would be a tough blow to suffer, considering what we traded for Gomez in the first place. Trading Hamrlik and Spacek could be difficult too, given their salaries and their age.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

panic!!!panic!!!!panic!!!
20 games in the season a new coach, a new system, new players and Markov hurt.

yeah I think it's time for rebuilding

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Boulette Cannon

This plan is totally retarded.

Alexandre Picard...

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
panic!!!panic!!!!panic!!!
20 games in the season a new coach, a new system, new players and Markov hurt.

yeah I think it's time for rebuilding
Well we certainly are not going to win the Stanley Cup in the next 5 years. I think a rebuild would not be a bad idea

Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
Pierre McGuire???? What a joke... I hope the Molsons are more intelligent then that
Actually G Molson's best friend just happens to be P Mcguire. The Habs future GM.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheCH*

Some people may not agree with his solutions, but the problems he lists are true. Might as well face it.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WestIslander

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

I missed it because of work...

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

I missed it because of work...
No problem!

Just listen on The Team 990 which is AM 990

Tony and Connor are discussing it as we speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Some nice thought put into this post by yourself, or Marinaro?

I like the plan, although I think a couple of things sound easier on paper than in reality. Getting Pierre McGuire to steer the Canadiens is a major proposition. I like it, because I think McGuire has a good handle on players across the league (and our pro-scouting is dubious at present). However, I think he would be a tough sell in Montreal. I just get a sense that his actual NHL experience isn't enough to convince people that he is capable of the job here in Montreal.

Secondly, trading our big contracts is difficult. Rangers had a tough time moving Gomez, and now that he has had a poor start this year, I think his stock has fallen even lower than this summer. If we are able to move him (and I agree, it would have to be to a bottom feeder, who need to make up salary to meet the floor), we can't expect more than a bottom pick IMO. That would be a tough blow to suffer, considering what we traded for Gomez in the first place. Trading Hamrlik and Spacek could be difficult too, given their salaries and their age.
It's Tony's rebuilding plan not mine! I'm just posting what he proposed!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-19-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Merge
Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Go Habs Go

I don't have a problem with people who don't like Gainey. He did some good but he also made mistakes. But if your suggestion is to replace him with Pierre Macguire, you lose all credibility. To me, that means this guy isn't interested in making the Habs better, there's another point to all this.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
What is with this obsession with power forwards? Has a team ever been as hypothetically dependent on a power forward as we have?
Our current (and 2 decade long) history of being small and mediocre is probably the motivation for this. Seems like John Leclair's ghost haunts us, and we've been particularly small upfront since then.

Old
11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
LyleOdelein

In essence:

- Fire Gainey and hire McGuire.
- Trade everybody but Gionta, Cammy, Lapierre and Lats.
- Acquire a bunch of fringe NHLers, because they are from Quebec.

Moronic doesn't even begin to explain this garbage.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
habaholic

Marinaro is a tool. What credentials does he have which makes what he says have any credibility? Has he even ever played a game of organized hockey?

Good lord! I hate myself for being a habs fan.....

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Marinaro is a tool. What credentials does he have which makes what he says have any credibility? Has he even ever played a game of organized hockey?

Good lord! I hate myself for being a habs fan.....
Don't say that, you'll hurt Jellybeans' feelings

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
TonyTinglebone

ANTOINE VERMETTE (CLMB) - Just locked up long term and going nowhere

P-LUC LETOURNEAU LEBLOND (NJ) - Why?

P-A PARENTEAU (NYR) - Why?

ALEXANDRE PICARD (OTT) - Why?

DAVID LALIBERTE (PHI) - yeah I could maybe see this as Philly has tons of depth.

MATTHEW LOMBARDI (PHO) - Would like him, but 3rd line centre on Habs is Lapierre unless one of them is going to be used elsewhere.

TORREY MITCHELL (SJ) - Would require overpayment to get him out of SJ.

STEVE BERNIER (VAN) - Latendresse V2.0

ALEXANDRE BURROWS (VAN) - Seriously? He is not going anywhere except for massive overpayment.

MATHIEU PERREAULT (WAS) - Why?

I do not understand why these names are getting thrown out there. They are either borderline NHLer's with little upside, repeats of what we already have or players that would cause us to overpay to acquire them.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Well we certainly are not going to win the Stanley Cup in the next 5 years. I think a rebuild would not be a bad idea
20 games in the season and you already know what will happen in 5 years.

Tell me now, How many goals Pacioretty,Kostitsyn,Desharnais,Latendresse and all others propects or future draft pick will have in 5 years.

Trade can happen, our D will be younger and maybe stronger, Price can be a superstar in 5 years.

Come on now in the plan Marinaro said on the radio he said sign Plekanec long term(that's a good idea) but tell me that last year Mariano would have said the same thing. What happen if Plek struggle next year, Marinaro would probably say trade him.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Wow, that is a pretty in depth analysis there. I wonder if we should hire a new doctor, trainer and Zamboni driver too?

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
JackZap

the only thing i agree with this plan is Gomez. Id like to see Spacek play on his right side before passing judgement on him

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote