HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Way F'in OT AVs Board Vibe Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
  #1
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Way F'in OT AVs Board Vibe Thread

Hey y'all, I've been around this block a few times. Not nearly as long as some but a lot more than others.

This year seems different. Last year we sucked and we knew it and the team deserved most of the crap that was thrown at it (although the whole tank thing was mostly tongue in cheek until the new year.) This season is the first in a rebuild and I find a lot of negativity going on that is making me wonder if it is even worthwhile to log in here anymore. Especially considering the record the AVs have.

I'm actually missing the ESPN board from the late 90's-early 2000s right now due to the over-the-top emo attitudes some posters have brought here.

Stastny on the wing? Seriously? I will say that I'm not real happy with his road record and since Duchene is drawing the attention of other teams it is not unreasonable to think of Matt centering Wolski and Hejduk on the road and letting Stastny center the so-called second line, but putting Stastny on the wing? Come on...put down your x-box controller and think about real hockey for a moment. On the PS2 I made Scott Parker into an 87G-48A-135pts player...that doesn't mean we should get him back out of retirement and put him on the first line...it just mean I was drunk a lot and played the easy version of NHL 2K and EA whatever.

I've been finding it tougher and tougher to come back into this board day after day. I know that ignore is an option, but I don't like to use it because I've also made some bone-headed comments and would hope that I wasn't ignored after one solitary post or bad night. Hell...some might even remember that a few years ago I ignored myself.

This AVs team by all accounts should have a losing record, yet some are screaming for immediate changes. Yes, Svatos needs to score. Yes Clark, while looking much better than in several years, still makes dumb plays and watches too much. Yes, Foote is old and slow...none of this is news. Yet some make it sound like these are easy fixes (bench, trade, coach differently) or just sound like jack-***** while screaming in the wind.

The fact is Joe Sacco and this young team has done a tremendous job so far in this young season (even with injuries to some of our better players) but many posters here find fault with it and think we should be undefeated.

What the hell has happened here?

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
  #2
Erickkelly26
Registered User
 
Erickkelly26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
The Avs offense is better than last year, but Andy has played over his head. Had it been like last season and Budaj is still starting, we would only have won a couple games in October. Lost to Detroit both times. I think Andy has kept us in these games and not our lackluster defense.

I am absolutely thrilled about the Avs record and have loved watching them play, so don't get me wrong there.

But it is painfull to see Stastny make 6.6 Million only to dissapear in games on the road. It is also painful to see how easy it is for teams to know how to beat us (hard fore checking(defense panics and is unable to break out) and strong pressure in the neutral zone. And the injurys have definantly caught up to us. I think if we are not going to mix up the lines, then the first line needs to stay consistent at home and on the road. I'm thrilled we have won 6/10 pn the road with 2 losses in overtime, i think that is outstanding when we have won 4/4 at home.

I think the reason people have been getting "emo" is because they don't want to remember last season and when they see this team get dominated (San Jose and Vancouver), they see the Avalanche team from last year and it repulses them.

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM
  #3
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't let the emo-ness bother me, I'm just here for fun.

A lot of people seem to think that they design better lines than people who have actually played in the NHL for several years, and have a lot of coaching experience. I've played hockey since I was a little kid, but when I go to games with a friend of mine who is a coach, he just sees things completely differently than I do, and sees plays developing about 3 seconds before I ever see it.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
  #4
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,780
vCash: 500
I always expect some degree of lunacy here. No dig on HF, it's just when a message board is this popular you're simply going to have some crazies, law of averages and all that. I disagree with the statement that this board has degraded to the official Avs message board. Uh-uh, not possible. I haven't posted there in a good 3-4 years and don't miss it one bit.

Don't let what I see as the insanity of 1-2 people ruin your experience here. Trust me, just hit "ignore" and move on. I believe what you're feeling as "vibe" is the overreaction of 2 people and the after-effects of that.

Part of the insanity is part of the fun I might add. We have some crazy talk in here, but crazy talk is better than NO talk. Go and check out the Minnesota forum. At least last week there was barely any activity at all. I'm not calling out the Wild fans, it's just that their team, like ours last year, aren't giving them much to talk about.

To put it in perspective, we Avs fans are now talking about our team's first real actual losing streak a full month into the season. The Wild finally have their first real actual winning streak...also a full month into the season.


Last edited by Av-merican: 11-02-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Av-merican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
  #5
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I always expect some degree of lunacy here. No dig on HF, it's just when a message board is this popular you're simply going to have some crazies, law of averages and all that. I disagree with the statement that this board has degraded to the official Avs message board. Uh-uh, not possible. I haven't posted there in a good 3-4 years and don't miss it one bit.

Don't let what I see as the insanity of 1-2 people ruin your experience here. Trust me, just hit "ignore" and move on. I believe what you're feeling as "vibe" is the overreaction of 2 people and the after-effects of that.

Part of the insanity is part of the fun I might add. We have some crazy talk in here, but crazy talk is better than NO talk. Go and check out the Minnesota forum. At least last week there was barely any activity at all. I'm not calling out the Wild fans, it's just that their team, like ours last year, aren't giving them much to talk about.

To put it in perspective, we Avs fans are now talking about our team's first real actual losing streak a full month into the season. The Wild finally have their first real actual winning streak...also a full month into the season.
We do have some crazy talk...but don't compare us to the fair folks in Minny. They love their team...the reason they don't post in HF is because they are busy watching games live, be it at the NHL, college, junior or pewee level. I'd rather talk to folks about hockey than about video-game hockey...and quite frankly too many folks here are talking about a video game instead of a real team.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
  #6
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Hey y'all, I've been around this block a few times. Not nearly as long as some but a lot more than others.

This year seems different. Last year we sucked and we knew it and the team deserved most of the crap that was thrown at it (although the whole tank thing was mostly tongue in cheek until the new year.) This season is the first in a rebuild and I find a lot of negativity going on that is making me wonder if it is even worthwhile to log in here anymore. Especially considering the record the AVs have.

I'm actually missing the ESPN board from the late 90's-early 2000s right now due to the over-the-top emo attitudes some posters have brought here.

Stastny on the wing? Seriously? I will say that I'm not real happy with his road record and since Duchene is drawing the attention of other teams it is not unreasonable to think of Matt centering Wolski and Hejduk on the road and letting Stastny center the so-called second line, but putting Stastny on the wing? Come on...put down your x-box controller and think about real hockey for a moment. On the PS2 I made Scott Parker into an 87G-48A-135pts player...that doesn't mean we should get him back out of retirement and put him on the first line...it just mean I was drunk a lot and played the easy version of NHL 2K and EA whatever.

I've been finding it tougher and tougher to come back into this board day after day. I know that ignore is an option, but I don't like to use it because I've also made some bone-headed comments and would hope that I wasn't ignored after one solitary post or bad night. Hell...some might even remember that a few years ago I ignored myself.

This AVs team by all accounts should have a losing record, yet some are screaming for immediate changes. Yes, Svatos needs to score. Yes Clark, while looking much better than in several years, still makes dumb plays and watches too much. Yes, Foote is old and slow...none of this is news. Yet some make it sound like these are easy fixes (bench, trade, coach differently) or just sound like jack-***** while screaming in the wind.

The fact is Joe Sacco and this young team has done a tremendous job so far in this young season (even with injuries to some of our better players) but many posters here find fault with it and think we should be undefeated.

What the hell has happened here?
Thank you

I'm so sick of many of the posters going completely crazy about this team.

What else can we ask for? The Avs are tied for the most points in the league. Meaning they have played excellent.

So what if we played a couple crappy games the last 2, but who cares. They still have exceptionally well for the first month.

I mean have we become so snobby that if we don't win every single game in blowout fashion, the sky is falling and were terrible?

People rip on Stastny because he isn't scoring, last I checked 13pts in 15 games is pretty good. I mean **** what does he have to do to get some respect, score 3pts every game. Sorry he plays better at home than on the road, some players are just like that. Stastny is a very good center, and should in no way ever be considered to be moved to the wing.

Don't even get me started with the people ragging on Duchene. The kid is 18 years old there are going to be some periodic struggles. People who thought he'd come in here and dominate are just ignorant. Its very rare an 18 year old comes in and absolutely dominates. Yeah we all wish he'd get some better linemates, but the guy is doing fine lay off him.

I'm mean last year all we did was ***** about this team and their laziness and how crappy Granato was. And guess what this year Sacco has got our team working hard and playing a 1000x better. He has done a great job.

All we can ask is that we improve from last season. And guess what its a ton better than what we dealt with last year.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 05:58 PM
  #7
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,833
vCash: 500
As for me , i can tell you that i see a difference in the posts , last year compare to when i came over here in 2006 . Idk what it is, but i get the feeling that it was more serious or maybe more respectful in 2006 . Back then , my first reaction was : Wow, those guys know their stuff and it's fun to be here . I remember , one of my first comment was to congratulate the members , telling them that i learned a lot more about the Avs in one week that i did reading the DP or surfing the " other " Avs board for months . The First two people to welcome me on HF board were Jori and Bender , following that comment.

more to come later , i must go eat or i'll burn my dinner

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
  #8
iAvs
JUST WIN
 
iAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
People will complain no matter what. The Avs were projected to be a bottom feeder but here we are... tops in the NHL. Same thing with the Broncos... people complaining about Orton when the team is 6-1... it's dumb.

Yes, Anderson has saved the team in a few games. Hello! Didn't Patrick-f'ing-Roy do that every other game too? If I remember correctly, but we had a stacked roster 99% of the time but we saw the team take nights off...except for Roy. Why is it so ridiculous if Anderson bails this team out too? Other teams have that luxury and are loving it.

I totally agree though, some people need to sit back and relax, and enjoy what we've got going on here because NOBODY believed in this team before the season started.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 06:57 PM
  #9
NHL33*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
I don't think people have been overly negative at all, but rather the memory being fresher. The threads are more active so you'll see a larger sample size but overall I thought the early trend was tilted towards over-optimism percentage wise (rounding towards the norm recently) more so. Negativity is typically aimed at specific players or decisions, and will exist regardless of the team's status. We're all arm-chair GM's, coaches and players on the inside so it should be no surprise; plus some do have legit points.

Every season is an emotional roller coaster - I don't think this one is very special in terms of fan reaction outside of growing hope for the franchise's future. Now, last year...but that was to be expected given how the team was (under)performing.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
  #10
Fluke
Registered User
 
Fluke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
I know I'm new and not well known around here but...

I'm glad there are intelligent Avs fans on these boards, because lately there have been way too many posts that are ignorant and negative. Which is the same reason I left the official boards. I'm not even gonna get started on the topics I'm speaking of, cause it would take a long time and I should be doing a write up for college right now.

I just don't get how some "fans" that have seemingly little knowledge about the team or hockey in general voice their opinion so boldly. I don't want to come off as over serious, I just get irritated by stupidity.

The attitude of a lot of posters is just baffling to me. We have sooo many reasons to be positive and excited here. Go Avs!!!

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
  #11
Commander Enigma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,437
vCash: 500
Good post ET. I've found it a bit bewildering as well. I can't fathom how people are coming to the conclusion that the team is not meeting expectations. The hand wringing over Duchene has been bewildering as well. Perhaps because O'Reilly has adapted so quickly people have heightened their standards over what should be expected of an 18 year old, but people should be appreciating how special O'Reilly has been without worrying that Duchene's development is stunted a mere fifteen games into his career (and frankly a lot of the Duchene despair had started by game 5 or so). It's all fairly ridiculous.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
  #12
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRonin View Post
Good post ET. I've found it a bit bewildering as well. I can't fathom how people are coming to the conclusion that the team is not meeting expectations. The hand wringing over Duchene has been bewildering as well. Perhaps because O'Reilly has adapted so quickly people have heightened their standards over what should be expected of an 18 year old, but people should be appreciating how special O'Reilly has been without worrying that Duchene's development is stunted a mere fifteen games into his career (and frankly a lot of the Duchene despair had started by game 5 or so). It's all fairly ridiculous.

When I saw that interview with Foote talking about having Duchene in his house, it pretty much put it in perspective for me. Foote's kids are 10 and 8, and Adam stated something to the effect that Matt played xbox and did things that 18 year old kids do....And that it was weird but Matt is closer to the ages of his kids than to Adam.

When I was 18 I really didn't have a clue about the world at all.....I think it's unfair to expect the kids to be on the leaderboard of either the NHL or even the Avs. They have an exciting team this year, but I'd rather the kids learn how to play and be strong as hell in 2-3 years rather than exasperating them of the game when they're still so young.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
  #13
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,852
vCash: 500
But guysssssssssssssss!!!!

Wolski is a worthless floater, Duchene is Diagle, and Stastny is afraid to score against strangers!!



Honestly I can only see a few posters who actually say that. In real case, I'd block them. Its not "a bone head post" here and there its become quite common and predominant of the poster's opinion. Not to say that they are wrong, can't disagree with an opinion but when you don't agree you just don't agree.

.... Unless one of the people you are going to block is me, then STOP!

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
  #14
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,031
vCash: 1000
We're a bunch of perfectionists.

"Good enough, isn't."

We want to have every line, every pairing, every save, every shift, be perfect every game.

Ain't gonna happen.

So we piss and moan like a bunch of spoiled children.

On the other hand, one could say we're a prideful bunch, and we want our boys to play like they are a prideful bunch, too.

Dater had some blathering rant about how we all take our sports too seriously, how the players don't take the games (and certainly not the fans) as seriously, how they're only looking for a big payday.

Perhaps it's because we are living vicariously through them. We want the best for ourselves, and we want them to deliver it. When we don't get their best efforts, we rant and rave about it. Since we can't really take our anger/frustration out on them, we all too often take it out on each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say, ET, is "I love you man! But you're not getting my Bud Light."

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
  #15
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,032
vCash: 500
There's no excuse for this team not being 82-0

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:22 AM
  #16
54toscore
Registered User
 
54toscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Glad you started this discussion. I've been following the board on and off for three years, but only started posting regularly a couple months ago to see if I'd like doing it. To be honest, I've begun to feel a bit jaded with the whole experience over the past few days. It seems like my posts drown in endless suggestions about different line combinations (to think, a couple seasons ago we were yelling at Q because he didn't give lines enough time to jell); repetitive arguments about the future of Wolski, Duchene, or Stastny based on a three-game sample size; and, of course, lots of posts making Svatos the scapegoat du jour.

That's not to say that the majority of my posts have been good or insightful--it's just been frustrating because I do tend to put some thought or statistical research into them, and it's a real unfulfilling experience to see them drown in the sea of multiple posts from a few particularly avid and emotional posters who want to communicate their every waking thought about the Avs as soon as they think it.

Anyway, that's what I'm feeling now. That, plus a vague feeling of foreboding that the Avs will soon fall back down to earth--they were awfully thin up front coming into the season, and the rash of injuries certainly doesn't help. Which will be swiftly followed by "Fire Sacco," "Trade Svatos for a seventh-rounder," and "Send Duchene back to Brampton" threads.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:57 AM
  #17
NWAvs
Registered User
 
NWAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
I didnt read it all, and I know i'm wrong for wanting my team to win but I am pretty bummed about losing to the Sharks then getting shut out by the ****ing Canucks

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:43 AM
  #18
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
I can't fathom how anyone could be upset with the way this season has been going so far.

Not living up to expectations?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=688927

That's what this board thought even after the first two games of the year. The most popular choices are 10th, 11th, and 13th.

Duchene as the next Daigle? Please.

Stastny to wing? Talk about an overreaction. He's only scoring a PPG and had a couple bad road games in which the entire team didn't play well. Get him out of center, it's just not working.

I have been a member of this board for what seems like a decade now, but don't come around that much anymore. That's not by design, but maybe subconsciously I don't like the constant negativity and overreactions either.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:51 AM
  #19
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,921
vCash: 500
It seems to me a lot of it comes down to impatience. We'll have to wait for this team to grow and everything. But with this recordbreaking first month the expectations have skyrocketed. Hard to actually blame people I guess. I think we might be due for a reality-check in that regard. Then again, we might continue to be solid. Who knows.

I just know I'm happy with the attitude this team has displayed so far, work-wise.

I'd be sad to see another long-time poster go.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.