HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is ESPN doing this on purpose?

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 10:10 AM
rekrul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
I hope your joking.

Hell, maybe we should give it a shot? It sounds ridiculous with all the shows they have on that network. WWE Monday Night Raw, MXC, Slamball.. the list goes on. Maybe it will give both sides a huge lift? You never know. As long as they dont have bad Play-By-Play men, because I know some of those guys that do Slamball, and "extreme robots" are absolutely horrific. So they would have to hire some new guys. I joked about it before, but Im actually optimistic.
anybody who remembers Zilgler chasing the big $$ and went away from ESPN to Sportschanel in the last 80's to ealy 90's realizes that it would be stupid to go to away from espn. Like them or not they make the sport still have legit status.

Old
04-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
i know most of the hockey fans i am friends with hate watching games on ESPN/ABC because anytime there is the slightest scuffle or a fight they put the camera on the goalie, or the coach/bench...

now i am a fan of open ice hits, clean hockey with end to end action and plenty of scoring chances, but i think there is a time and place for the rough stuff. does anyone else notice that ESPN does this? and does it bother anyone else? or do I just enjoy the rough stuff more than the average fan?

Old
04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
i know most of the hockey fans i am friends with hate watching games on ESPN/ABC because anytime there is the slightest scuffle or a fight they put the camera on the goalie, or the coach/bench...
Ive heard many times that this is an NHL decision not an ESPN decision.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagreewithidiots
Ive heard many times that this is an NHL decision not an ESPN decision.
That's BS, because I have Center Ice and when I'm watching CBC HNIC, they definitely don't pan away from the fights.

Old
04-28-2004, 03:50 PM
prärievarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel
Centre Ice is the only way to go. I've had it for five years and it is worth every penny. Watching the same 6 teams on ESPN is unbearable. Plus, being a Sens fan living in Houston it is a necessity.
How much does it cost monthly or yearly for Centre Ice?

Old
04-28-2004, 09:42 PM
tom_servo

ESPN had nothing better to do than invest $600 million in a TV with the NHL for the purpose of screwing us hockey fans.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
last i checked NHL Center Ice is $159/season.

oh...and I agree... if you LOVE hockey, you'll LOVE this package and it will be worth every penny...

Hockey every night... NICE!!

Old
04-29-2004, 12:55 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagreewithidiots
Of course ESPN doesnt care about the NHL. Why should it? I like watching games on ESPN. I think they do a good job. But they cant do much to make the game more then it is.

The folks at ESPN are trying to run a profitable TV network. They care about ratings and advertisers. Its not up to them to promote anything other then their programming.

I hate to admit it. I dont like seeing it. But the NHL does not draw big ratings. Its not a hugely popular sport. Cars driving in circles gets bigger ratings. It makes me sick to know that. But I dont blame ESPN.

The fact NHL ratings do not allow it to be shown as much as I, or anyone else on this site would like, is the fault of the NHL. They allow star players to be mugged. They limit creativity. They want to see a hard nosed north american kid on the roster to fight. Instead of an offensive minded european kid that may generate some offense. They want to remain a fringe sport.

The NHL is too loyal to its old fashioned fans. Some commend the NHL for not going for flash and excitment. I dont. I think the NHL hurts itself on the ice and at the box office. The NHL shouldnt make us watch hockey the way our grandfathers did. I should be able to watch an NHL that has adjusted to what viewers today want to see. Let my grandfather drone on about what hockey used to be like. Its bad enough to hear about it, I dont want to see it.

Maybe we could have explosions come out from behind the net after a goal. And they could play through a laser show with rock music. And overtime would be the fastest skaters doing the fastest circle around the rink.

I dont think clamping down on battling, or clutching and grabbing or whatever, will cause Jim Rome and the clones to follow hockey more.

In Canada our access to hockey on TV is fantastic. It is all over the place. It is national in scope. Adding a few strong American regional partners is all we need to make a solid, profitable league. With a strong Canadian foundation identity.

And hockey fans are mostly hard core. Even a cult as Brian Burke would say. I say they should respond to their best followers who are actually paying the money. Not lose them in some vain attempt to say they are revenue generating than an NFL team.

Old
04-29-2004, 06:45 PM
gnardini1998

Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
last i checked NHL Center Ice is $159/season.

oh...and I agree... if you LOVE hockey, you'll LOVE this package and it will be worth every penny...

Hockey every night... NICE!!

And usually if you get it early the price is lower. Be aware though; you need digital cable or a satellite dish. AND if you live in real hockey country here is the irony if you get satellite - on snowy winter nights which are perfect for laying on the couch bundled up watching hockey you won't be able to watch hockey because the snow if blocking the dish from receiving the signal. So,my advice is if your cable company has Center Ice get cable.
But, NHL Center Ice is GREAT!!!!!! On some nights you can watch hockey from 7PM until 1am. Some nights the big problem is deciding which game to watch. Also, a lot of the feeds are Canadian ones.

Old
04-29-2004, 10:01 PM
pittengineer

The NHL should be happy they atleast got a contract from ESPN/ABC. Hockey is basically the third-world country of sports. MLB and the NBA, even is you dont want to admit it, have better ratings than hockey. And I know we dont even have to go into football, where the draft outdrew a NBA playoff game.

The thing you have to understand is the NHL is not going to get a contract similar to what they have now(be it small as it is currently anyways). Hockey is not a big draw. I like watching hockeys, but it is def a fourth-rate sport in the US and thats the major market. Dont look for CBS or NBC to join in the bidding either. This is why ESPN/ABC has all the leverage.

Old
04-30-2004, 12:10 AM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittengineer
The NHL should be happy they atleast got a contract from ESPN/ABC. Hockey is basically the third-world country of sports. MLB and the NBA, even is you dont want to admit it, have better ratings than hockey. And I know we dont even have to go into football, where the draft outdrew a NBA playoff game.

The thing you have to understand is the NHL is not going to get a contract similar to what they have now(be it small as it is currently anyways). Hockey is not a big draw. I like watching hockeys, but it is def a fourth-rate sport in the US and thats the major market. Dont look for CBS or NBC to join in the bidding either. This is why ESPN/ABC has all the leverage.
if the rumors of viacom are true then cbs could very well be tossed into the ring, but that remains to be seen, even if they're not viacom still has upn and spike tv, poss. playoffs on cbs similar to abc picking up the playoffs.... won't matter to me so long as it gets more exposure and marketing than it's getting with espn now, sure play the ratings card, but how can a sport get ratings if the network broadcasting it doesn't do a thing to market the sport outside of when the sport is actually on.... it's completely utterly stupid and useless to market it to the people who are already fans

Old
05-01-2004, 03:04 PM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
Maybe we could have explosions come out from behind the net after a goal. And they could play through a laser show with rock music. And overtime would be the fastest skaters doing the fastest circle around the rink.
Yea that would be different from the blaring horns, sirens, rock songs, and scoreboards shows they have after goals right now.

Quote:
I dont think clamping down on battling, or clutching and grabbing or whatever, will cause Jim Rome and the clones to follow hockey more.
More entertaining hockey would generate more followers.

Quote:
In Canada our access to hockey on TV is fantastic. It is all over the place. It is national in scope. Adding a few strong American regional partners is all we need to make a solid, profitable league. With a strong Canadian foundation identity.
Thats great.

Quote:
And hockey fans are mostly hard core. Even a cult as Brian Burke would say. I say they should respond to their best followers who are actually paying the money. Not lose them in some vain attempt to say they are revenue generating than an NFL team.
Brian Burke is just another good old boy. I say they should respond to casual fans and hard core fans so they can make more money. Hard core fans dont go away. If the NHL appeals to a broader audience they will still be there telling you what a great fan they are. They will sit there and tell the casual fans "see I told you hockey was great". The NHL needs to make money not friends.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
roosteroo

If only I could get Center Ice in Australia. If ESPN stops screening NHL games (as garbage-like as they are) I may just have to pick up my gear and move to Canada.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:40 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I don't really have an opinion on where hockey ends up next year.. but for me to get Centre Ice again, they will need to add a little to it. Like re-broadcasting games, or an NHL Tonight type of broadcast during the day. Maybe covering the Frozen Four, or the AHL playoffs, or the World Cup.

I'd personally, and I know a ton of you would as well, love to see a hockey channel, that carries all of these things, and maybe replays the concensus best game from the night before. I'd pay bigger money for that then I would for Centre Ice.

Closed Thread