HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Flames and their families received H1N1 vaccine

Old
11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
They'll just get a sweet severance package.
Not if the press pushes this issue and I hope they do.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillingForOil View Post
Hate to say it people, but just like in everyday society, money is king. These guys are multi-millionaires, working in a billion dollar industry. Of course they are gonna jump the line ahead of the everyday "average" joe. Not saying i'm in favour of it, but as i stated before money rules.
It is that kind of attitude that will get it pushed under the table.

Oh well, money rules.

Typically Canadian and typically wrong!

I think I will phone my MLA and complain!

Old
11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
OntOilFan

This doesn't seem too egregious to me.

Jarome Iginla can't exactly be standing in line for six hours for a shot with the rest of the public, for several obvious reasons.

The timing of it is questionable. Perhaps AHS should have waited before giving it to the team, but I can see the logic behind it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:19 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillingForOil View Post
Hate to say it people, but just like in everyday society, money is king. These guys are multi-millionaires, working in a billion dollar industry. Of course they are gonna jump the line ahead of the everyday "average" joe. Not saying i'm in favour of it, but as i stated before money rules.
No one really believes that prominent figures in ANY society don't get to cut corners. They do, and do often, no question. However, there's a difference between someone getting a fast MRI and a group of otherwise perfectly healthy, multi-millionaire athletes getting their flu shots before people in essential, high risk services (paramedics, police officers, firefighters) and the sick/vulnerable when the government is telling us there is going to be a shortage and, basically "oops lol" when they had to close things down early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
It is that kind of attitude that will get it pushed under the table.

Oh well.

Typically Canadian and typically wrong!
I agree, and even if we let them bend the rules, we can't let them spit in our faces just because they make in a week what many make in several months, or even a year.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Raoul Duke*

The entire H1N1 is a joke. The government screamed for everyone to get a shot "Run for the hills" mentality they put into people. Then they got a response, couldn't deliver and had the media then say after they shut down the clinics "Keep in mind it's just like the regular flu, wash your hands and drink water, you should be fine."

I found it funny watching the news when they were all "One person in Alberta died this week from H1N1!!!! Let's all panic!" Then they followed it with news of 3 different people killed driving through Edmonton intersections earlier that day. The odds of you getting killed by H1N1 vs. driving in Edmonton is not even comparable.

But for people that are still scared out of their minds, the Flames getting the shot is a complete disaster for the government. Call your MLA, how are they more important than children who are at risk?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

Jarome Iginla can't exactly be standing in line for six hours for a shot with the rest of the public, for several obvious reasons.

The timing of it is questionable. Perhaps AHS should have waited before giving it to the team, but I can see the logic behind it.
Share it with me?

Because I see no logic in it.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano View Post
The entire H1N1 is a joke. The government screamed for everyone to get a shot "Run for the hills" mentality they put into people. Then they got a response, couldn't deliver and had the media then say after they shut down the clinics "Keep in mind it's just like the regular flu, wash your hands and drink water, you should be fine."

But for people that are still scared out of their minds, the Flames getting the shot is a complete disaster for the government. Call your MLA, how are they more important than children who are at risk?
One of the parts in all this that irked me was the government saying both "go out and get the shot ASAP" and "please let the high risk people get it first".

It's just been a disaster from day 1.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

Even if the pandemic is a complete joke or farce, the fact that that a professional hockey team was able to get flu shots before other people in high risk situations is even more of a joke.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

If you read the entire article the Flames do bring that up. But why can't their wives and kids stand in line then?

(It's not stated in the article that the players' families received the shot but Lynda Steele reports it here:
Global news reports Flames players families also got H1N1 shot on Friday - Iginla confirms his kids and wife got it too.)

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Even if the pandemic is a complete joke or farce, the fact that that a professional hockey team was able to get flu shots before other people in high risk situations is even more of a joke.

It's that joke that you laugh at in disbelief at first, but then it stops being funny even if more layers get added on each re-telling.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
If you read the entire article the Flames do bring that up. But why can't their wives and kids stand in line then?

(It's not stated in the article that the players' families received the shot but Lynda Steele reports it here:
Global news reports Flames players families also got H1N1 shot on Friday - Iginla confirms his kids and wife got it too.)
Even if they can't stand in line for safety or security reasons, there are lots of other demographics within the population that should be getting their shots first.

Old
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

If you can't see the difference in the two situations then I can't really help you!
I do not need help but thank you for offering.....

Quote:

When the inoculation process began last week, Premier Ed Stelmach encouraged all Albertans to get the flu shot.

"Most of our players received the vaccine prior to the currently discussed priority program and consistent with the then-stated Alberta Health Services policy," Hanlon wrote.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/heal...512/story.html
The only special treatment they received was that they (for obvious reasons) did not have to stand in line as my wife & I did...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
I'm not disputing that at all. I'm not worried in the least about this flu scare, but the Flames getting private shots is outraging to me. If I had young children and waited in line for hours only to be turned away - I would be firing flaming bottles at the Leg building right now Russia style.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
hockeyaddict101

I have left a message for my MLA.

If I can play a tiny part in getting this looked into and questioned then I have done my part as a citizen.

I will not sit back and so oh well!

Old
otto84

Quote:
I'm okay with the Flames (or any NHL team) getting the shot even when other Albertans aren't. I think with the travelling they do they should be considered an "at risk" group. I certainly understand if people disagree with me on that.

But after what the Oilers have gone through this season, including things like Moreau's child getting H1N1, it feels like a real kick in the pants. Should it be the Oilers' responsibilty to push for this like the Flames apparently did, or are they doing the right thing by waiting their turn?
I think there's a misunderstanding of the phrase 'at risk'. Sure the hockey players are 'at risk' of getting the flu with the travel and close contact, but when the health care workers are saying 'ask risk' when referring to the general public, they mean ask risk of dying from the virus. Hockey players aren't in the group who would easily die from H1N1 - look at Smid, he didn't even know he had it.

This was a big mistake.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I'm not disputing that at all. I'm not worried in the least about this flu scare, but the Flames getting private shots is outraging to me. If I had young children and waited in line for hours only to be turned away - I would be firing flaming bottles at the Leg building right now Russia style.

despite my annoyance and outrage at the flames organization, I hope this doesn't get used as a deflector from the real problem of this vaccination process (if it can even be called a 'process' at this point).

Old
11-03-2009, 02:29 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I have left a message for my MLA.

If I can play a tiny part in getting this looked into and questioned then I have done my part as a citizen.

I will not sit back and so oh well!
I will be sending my MLA (Evans, of all people *sigh*) an e-mail after work.

Hockey players don't deserve THIS MUCH special treatment.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Even if they can't stand in line for safety or security reasons, there are lots of other demographics within the population that should be getting their shots first.
There are really two separate issues here.

1) Why did the Flames receive vaccinations ahead of more at-risk people?

2) Why did the Flames receive vaccinations when other athletes (Stampeders, Oilers, Olympic athletes) are being told to wait their turn?

Obviously the first one is the larger one.

Old
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
despite my annoyance and outrage at the flames organization, I hope this doesn't get used as a deflector from the real problem of this vaccination process (if it can even be called a 'process' at this point).
What process? But that is a whole different issue!

Old
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
special groups get private access to flu shots all the time

my faculty has a private immunization clinic every year

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto84 View Post
I think there's a misunderstanding of the phrase 'at risk'. Sure the hockey players are 'at risk' of getting the flu with the travel and close contact, but when the health care workers are saying 'ask risk' when referring to the general public, they mean ask risk of dying from the virus. Hockey players aren't in the group who would easily die from H1N1 - look at Smid, he didn't even know he had it.

This was a big mistake.
That's a good point, thanks.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
special groups get private access to flu shots all the time

my faculty has a private immunization clinic every year
So does mine but we don't get it before it has been released to the public!

I don't think your organization has had private access to the H1N1 virus? Am I right?

Old
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
There are really two separate issues here.

1) Why did the Flames receive vaccinations ahead of more at-risk people?

2) Why did the Flames receive vaccinations when other athletes (Stampeders, Oilers, Olympic athletes) are being told to wait their turn?

Obviously the first one is the larger one.
The 2nd question could be as easy as a miscommunication, which is not entirely unheardof. the 1st question is, as you said, a way bigger question and with way bigger issues.

Quote:
What process? But that is a whole different issue!
Agreed, but it's one big web of cluster...well, you know.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
So does mine but we don't get it before it has been released to the public!

I don't think your organization has had private access to the H1N1 virus? Am I right?
the h1n1 vaccine was released to the public 5 days prior to the flames getting their shots

but no they have a clinic for h1n1 supposedly in a couple weeks in my faculty

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
Ken King is too classy. He would never allow something like this.
Sure Ken is a classy guy. I know him personally and I wouldn't ever debate that he is a good person and one of the more upstanding public figures out there.

However, he is also a terrific businessman. It doesn't take much connecting the dots to realize that having the flu ravage your sports team can result in serious financial problems. The Oilers going 1 - 5 during their bout with the plague could easily cost them a playoff spot. Each home playoff game is worth more than $1 million.

Classy or not, this is a case where business comes first. It's also easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission. This is exactly why a guy like Ken gets hired to run a sports team. He's affable and media savvy. I guarantee that he will steer this through until it's a non-issue.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote