HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Flames and their families received H1N1 vaccine

Old
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post

1) Why did the Flames receive vaccinations ahead of more at-risk people?
For the same reason I did....

Everything we heard was that everyone should get the vaccination. And that those in high risk groups should definitely get the vaccination.

There was nothing I read or heard that we should be considerate & wait until the high risk groups received the vaccination.

There were no posters or brochures at Westmount Mall; there was nobody who walked up & down the line explaining things.

Those who did the paperwork & those who gave the shots said nothing...

The only place to lay the blame is on the provincial government - first for creating the scare.... And now for trying to place blame on those who acted on their recommendation.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:43 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
As I said in the other thread, if a hockey team was able to jump the cue it would raise controversy.

Looks like somone made a "mistake" at Alberta Health.
Money talks, that is all

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
the h1n1 vaccine was released to the public 5 days prior to the flames getting their shots

but no they have a clinic for h1n1 supposedly in a couple weeks in my faculty
Let me re-phrase.

They got their flu shot the day before the government were restricting a tight supply of vaccination for high rish candidates! Does that make it somehow sound better to you?

You will not your flu shot in your private facility until the high risks patients are dealt with.

The Government completely dropped the ball in letting anyone that lined up to have a shot and now they have dropped the ball again by letting professional athletes have private access to a limited supply of vaccine before high risk groups.

Two wrongs do not make a right!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

Everything we heard was that everyone should get the vaccination. And that those in high risk groups should definitely get the vaccination.

There was nothing I read or heard that we should be considerate & wait until the high risk groups received the vaccination.
They were saying on the news and in the papers that for the first few days they wanted to focus on high risk groups and regular risk people should wait, but that they wouldn't turn people away

So really if you weren't high risk and got it during the first few days you were going against their "wishes" (that they said would not be enforced lol)

it is 100% their fault that this got messed up so bad though

for the record i went on wednesday last week, but i am technically "high risk"

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Money talks, that is all
Exactly!

I'm still not getting the shot, and since I heard some private clinics are charging thousands for the shot, I couldn't if I wanted to!

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GWG9 View Post
Not right but very forward thinking by the Flames management. Are you taking notes K-Lowe.
Yeah, his notes say don't jump in line in front of the elderly and small children to get the flu vaccine or you look like an ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
This doesn't seem too egregious to me.

Jarome Iginla can't exactly be standing in line for six hours for a shot with the rest of the public, for several obvious reasons.

The timing of it is questionable. Perhaps AHS should have waited before giving it to the team, but I can see the logic behind it.
That was one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board.

Quote:
special groups get private access to flu shots all the time

my faculty has a private immunization clinic every year
Are they giving out H1N1 shots?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

There were no posters or brochures at Westmount Mall; there was nobody who walked up & down the line explaining things.

The only place to lay the blame is on the provincial government - first for creating the scare.... And now for trying to place blame on those who acted on their recommendation.
Hmm everyone I knew were aware that only the high risk groups should be getting the shot.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post

Are they giving out H1N1 shots?
when i talked to them they said in a couple weeks but that was before the supply issues

Old
11-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

They were saying on the news and in the papers that for the first few days they wanted to focus on high risk groups and regular risk people should wait, but that they wouldn't turn people away

So really if you weren't high risk and got it during the first few days you were going against their "wishes" (that they said would not be enforced lol)

it is 100% their fault that this got messed up so bad though

for the record i went on wednesday last week, but i am technically "high risk"
I consider the "first few days" as a few days..... So I went Wednesday with my wife....

Ironically, once the shortage appeared & the definition of high risk groups was highlighted in the media, I realized that my wife is defined as high risk since she has an autoimmune disease.

So in theory, I suspect I did not actually jump the queue......

But that does not change my point - that I went for the shot believing that there was an unlimited supply of the vaccine & that I was allowed to line up like everyone else in Canada...

Old
11-03-2009, 03:03 PM
hockeyaddict101

For those of you still thinking that this was not wrong.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297102

An investigation is underway.

Old
OntOilFan

Premier Stelmach just called it "deplorable."

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
T-Funk

Quote:
But that does not change my point - that I went for the shot believing that there was an unlimited supply of the vaccine & that I was allowed to line up like everyone else in Canada...
well thats what they said ("enough to vaccinate every canadian") so I agree with you
anyone who wasn't high risk who got it already can't really be blamed for anything unless they were tripping grandmas and tossing babies around

that being said, i don't understand why anyone who wasn't high risk even wants the shot...the side effects from the shot could put you out of commission as long as the flu in some cases

i had the flu a few weeks ago (which apparently may have been h1n1) and was terribly achy for 2 days, then had a nagging cough for a while after
my gf got the shot with me and had achiness/fever/headache for 3 days

Old
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post
Exactly!

I'm still not getting the shot, and since I heard some private clinics are charging thousands for the shot, I couldn't if I wanted to!
Its an unfortunately reality in this world. I would've hoped that Katz was smart about his investment and did something similar [buy private from source or something...I'm sure he's got his connections].

May not necessarily be the most ethical way of doing things but thats how things are nowadays.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

Premier Stelmach just called it "deplorable."
Of course he did.....

Pretending that 50 people getting shots resulted in millions of Albertan's having to do without.........

Old
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:

There were no posters or brochures at Westmount Mall; there was nobody who walked up & down the line explaining things..
Common sense perhaps?

I don't need a brochure to explain I shouldn't push people in front of cars. Yet, I don't because they're at risk of dying.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
myteammytown

Quote:

just curious but, how would you expect the high risk people to get the vaccine when the line is full of people going by your theory?

moms are expected to wait 4 hours with kids under 5? Have you ever waited for any longer than 10 minutes with young kids? pregnant women have to wait in line for 3 hours?

im not pointing the finger directly at you, but not being at "high risk" and being in line took a spot away from someone who HAD to be there.

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

well thats what they said ("enough to vaccinate every canadian") so I agree with you anyone who wasn't high risk who got it already can't really be blamed for anything unless they were tripping grandmas and tossing babies around

that being said, i don't understand why anyone who wasn't high risk even wants the shot...
I never had flu shots until recently because I decided that if the flu killed me, I'll be dead - so it won't bother me after that....

But a year & a half ago my mother was diagnosed with leukemia - any illness could kill her quickly. It was highly recommended that anyone who visited her had the flu shot & waited the appropriate time; so everyone in our family did - (she did die in January)...

I then realized I was being selfish by only thinking of myself - so I was already planning to get the flu shot this fall......

Old
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I'm sure that, behind the scenes, every professional team in North America has asked for this. The only difference is that their governments are competent enough to tell those teams to wait in line like everyone else.

The rollout of the H1N1 vaccine in Alberta is making Ontario's look good, and McGuinty's Liberals are getting raked over the coals here because of it. If you don't like this, then what you need to do is remember the way that Stelmach and his cronies handled this crisis and let them know about it with your vote the next time they call an election. No more of this guy winning overwhelming majorities with the votes of 21% of Albertans.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
hockeyaddict101

Looks like the Government is being pressured to find answers!! Good on the opposition and don't let up.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...748/story.html

Old
11-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post

just curious but, how would you expect the high risk people to get the vaccine when the line is full of people going by your theory?

moms are expected to wait 4 hours with kids under 5? Have you ever waited for any longer than 10 minutes with young kids? pregnant women have to wait in line for 3 hours?

im not pointing the finger directly at you, but not being at "high risk" and being in line took a spot away from someone who HAD to be there.
Only speaking from my experience at Westmount Mall last Wednesday, the large majority of people in line appeared to be "young & healthy"...

Parents around me brought the appropriate paperwork & had it filled out. When they were about 10 minutes away from getting the needle, they phoned the other spouse who then brought the children to join them in line.

Seemed like a good plan to me.......

Old
11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
surshot*

Good for the Flames for finding a loop hole and if it saves them from having the flu ravage there lineup like it has ravaged the Oilers lineup for the last week and a half then good on them. I am sure they could not give a flying **** if this happens to put someone who is high risk at risk of getting H1N1. This is the sad truth. How they get the vaccine and the Oil does not likely does not matter as its likely to late for our Oilers.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Good for the Flames for finding a loop hole and if it saves them from having the flu ravage there lineup like it has ravaged the Oilers lineup for the last week and a half then good on them. I am sure they could not give a flying **** if this happens to put someone who is high risk at risk of getting H1N1. This is the sad truth. How they get the vaccine and the Oil does not likely does not matter as its likely to late for our Oilers.
Wow, what an attitude!!!

Would you actually have the guts to say this to someone's family who has had a relative die from this flu or someone's family that might die because they could not get access?

Old
11-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Good for the Flames for finding a loop hole and if it saves them from having the flu ravage there lineup like it has ravaged the Oilers lineup for the last week and a half then good on them.
Yeah, way to go Flames, finishing 6th in the west and getting swept in the first round is far more important than the lives of those ******* children.

Not to mention the majority of the team aren't Albertan citizens.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

From: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...842/story.html

Here is Health Minister Ron Liepert early last week: "I urge all Albertans to go out and get immunized."

And here is Premier Ed Stelmach: "We're not asking only those highrisk groups to get the vaccine first. It's open to all."

Plus from last Tuesday: http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/swin.../11542931.html

The province has enough vaccine for any Albertan who would like to be immunized from the the H1N1 flu virus, say officials.

Old
11-03-2009, 03:38 PM
GagnerforGod

That's pretty disgusting, especially with their marketing making them seem like "Alberta's team". Their shoulder patches should be ripped off

GagnerforGod is offline   Reply With Quote