HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames and their families received H1N1 vaccine

Old
12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
LawnDemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
yep, fits the bill. thanks for the help

my point being, you did not represent blackcoffee at all
Consider it hyperbole (a figure of speech in which obvious exaggeration is used for effect) rather than sensationalism.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
Consider it hyperbole (a figure of speech in which obvious exaggeration is used for effect) rather than sensationalism.
8th grade english lesson for an 8th grade I told you so.

Fitting, you can remove this thread from your bookmarks now, you've completed your life.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
8th grade english lesson for an 8th grade I told you so.

Fitting, you can remove this thread from your bookmarks now, you've completed your life.
Now THAT is sensationalism. I am truly both excited and startled... Also somewhat aroused. Nice work!

Old
12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Actually, the hyperbole is the game played at the end of the NFL season.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:55 AM
alanschu

Quote:
It has nothing to do with composure/character. There were a lot of personal, vindictive attacks in this thread towards all those who defended the solid business logic in the Flames getting the shots.
So basically you're just saying that you're as low, if not worse, as those people, that is so insecure he feels compelled to let other people know "he was right." All you did was demonstrate that you're petty. I hope you're quick to resurrect threads with official declarations of how wrong you are the times that you are.

And this is coming from someone that thought it was a silly thing for the Flames to do, but ultimately not going to really affect them (especially since it was more of an Alberta Health Care issue).

Quite frankly, this resurrection is pathetic. Glad to see you could be the better man :thumbsup:

Quote:
Theories all start with arbitrary logic... That's why they are theories. Researchers then endeavor to prove or, preferably, disprove the assertion. Very few theories ever become fact but they do become more difficult to refute.
Actually, since you're trying to be all academic, that isn't what a theory is at all. Something is called a theory because it's a well substantiated explanation/description of the (usually natural) world. Theories are NOT just guesses or abstract logic. Theories have ample (and usually substantial) evidence supporting them. Some of the easiest examples of theories are things like the theory of gravity, theory of relativity, etc.

At best a hypothesis starts with arbitrary logic, but even then, that's not right, as hypotheses are educated guesses, which means that the logic isn't entirely arbitrary at all.

Last edited by alanschu: 12-04-2009 at 02:02 AM.
alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:40 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Quote:
Fair enough. To be honest my agenda was more directed at asshammers like Black Coffee who jump up on their soapboxes decrying and vilifying those who would dare to suggest that there is an objective, dispassionate angle to ethically questionable situations. More specifically, that something like this is earth shattering and will result in the downfall of the flames or the end of history as we know it... whichever comes first.

edit: also, I was kind of bored today...

Good times. Thanks for the debate.
This coming from a guy who thought the hat debate was silly, now who looks ridiculous eh.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
SoAnd this is coming from someone that thought it was a silly thing for the Flames to do, but ultimately not going to really affect them (especially since it was more of an Alberta Health Care issue).
As I'm not even remotely interested in our opinions about my thread resurrection so I'll just say "Thanks for your support".

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Actually, since you're trying to be all academic, that isn't what a theory is at all. Something is called a theory because it's a well substantiated explanation/description of the (usually natural) world. Theories are NOT just guesses or abstract logic. Theories have ample (and usually substantial) evidence supporting them. Some of the easiest examples of theories are things like the theory of gravity, theory of relativity, etc.

At best a hypothesis starts with arbitrary logic, but even then, that's not right, as hypotheses are educated guesses, which means that the logic isn't entirely arbitrary at all.
This is true and, if you type "definition of theory" into google you'll get the exact quote you provided. Nice internetting! Now try socio-economic theory. I'm no professional researcher or science-ologist but I'm pretty sure my assertion falls under that category. I may very well be wrong.

When this first happened I suggested the hypothesis that this would have no lasting social effect and would ultimately be a good business decision for the Flames. It's only weeks later and, evidence suggests, the hypothesis has matured. Very clear evidence (aka nobody cares anymore) suggests that there will be no repercussions for h1n1gate. Any decision that has a net benefit and no tangible, or lasting, repercussions is a good decision. Unless you can find evidence to the contrary (ie: attendance drop, sales drop, public demonstrations against the Flames)?

To be fair it's probably still a bit early to suggest maturity to a theory so I'll revisit this thread in about a year. I'm sure you will like that.

Old
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
This coming from a guy who thought the hat debate was silly, now who looks ridiculous eh.
I'm already planning to revisit the hat thread next month sometime... wait for it.

Old
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Quote:
I'm already planning to revisit the hat thread next month sometime... wait for it.
The after school special would be better.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote